UConn women will likely earn the No. 1 ranking in Monday’s Associated Press poll, but are they actually the best team in the country? | The Boneyard

UConn women will likely earn the No. 1 ranking in Monday’s Associated Press poll, but are they actually the best team in the country?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Today at 1 p.m., the UConn women’s basketball team is likely to return to where it has staked a claim for much of the last 25 years. With their 63-59 victory over No. 1 South Carolina last week, the No. 2 Huskies are expected to ascend to the No. 1 spot in The Associated Press Top 25 poll. But is UConn really the top team in the country? And how should we view the Huskies after their big win? The Courant asked a handful of AP poll voters for their insights on these questions and more.

Women's College Basketball Rankings - Week 12

Reaction Score
Interesting article.

Much as I hate to say it, I can't put my Cardinals in the "teams that have a chance to win it" group.

Reaction Score
After watching some of the top teams this past weekend UCONN has as much of a claim to the top spot as any of the others. There are very few genuine stars out there of the magnitude of Paige. Never forget that she and the rest of the freshmen are just that, freshmen.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
No one is head and shoulders above the other, even A & M. Whoever gets "hot" tournament time could take it all. I don't see any team that has no flaws.
Exactly. If not UCONN then who? SC? Had we hit anywhere near our normal number of 3's, and didn't play 5 vs. 6 (numerous horrible calls against UCONN from a foul perspective), we would have won by double digits in regulation. Plus SC just beat a LSU team with a losing record by single digits.

Louisville? Unimpressive in their last 6 games. Stanford? With a loss to unranked doormat Colorado? NC State? Sure they beat L'ville, but are 2-2 in their last 4 games with losses to unranked Va Tech and UNC (neither loss is "bad", but still - UCONN didn't lose to Seton Hall, Marquette or DePaul). aTm - quietly doing what they do with a pair of wins over Arkansas, but every game they play is an adventure. Plus their lone loss is to LSU - an unranked but dangerous team.

But I agree - there is no consensus among anyone as to who the top team is. So much parity this year. The NCAA's will be interesting for sure.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
It appears most feel it is wide open this season. UConn is young and when they start hitting they will be tuff to beat. If theyre hitting on all cylinders its done. Christyn Liv and Evina will come around and dont forget we havent played 20 games yet. IMO the magic number is 20 games for everything to reasonably come together. I really believe based on the past when we get through 20 games those 3 will be just about where we thought they'd be. For those who are disappointed in UConns play so far this season we have 1 loss and 4 wins against top 25 teams. We find a way to win.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
If people feel the "field is open", let's qualify that as only 8/9 teams at most can reasonably be expected to win the whole enchilada. Of that 8, I think 3 are shoo-ins for the Final Four-Stanford, SC & UConn.

The other 6 all have shown some inconsistency issues against significantly lesser teams:
NC State had a bad loss against NC. Their other loss against VPI was without Cunnane. They are my 4th Final Four
Texas A&M was getting too much promotion by Carolyn Peck last night. Yes, they have beaten many top 25 teams-all in the 10-25 range and none in the top 9 (KY-#10, AK-#13/#16, MSU-#14, TN-#16, DePaul #19, GA-#22 and Texas #25. They lost to LSU and they haven't played SC. Their most impressive wins are probably over Arkansas 74-73 and 69-67. This team has had too many close games against mediocre teams for me to think they can make a serious run.
Arizona lost to Stanford (no shame) and to Wash St after blowing a big lead. They did crush Oregon last week but to me, they are still too one dimensional with Aari. Cat Reese has stepped up nicely recently but I think UCLA is better talent-wise.
Which brings me to UCLA and as just noted this is a Final Four talented team with a Sweet-16 coach. Close simply cannot manage close games. This team could make a serious run or get beat by a better tactician like Doug Bruno.
Louisville is my 8th possibility, however this team is as reliant on one player as any team-Dana Evans. Their one loss highlights a weak ACC conference and their lack of an inside presence and rebounding makes them susceptible.

Baylor, while looking good against a 35th-40th ranked offensively challenged Texas team last night, simply has inconsistent outside shooting and lacks a true point guard. I'd be impressed if they made the elite 8. I do not think this team can handle good guard play.
The other team I would mention is Maryland-winning the Big10 is nice but again, this team has holes when compared to the elite 8 schools above. Owusa has been very good, I am just not sold on their front court and peripheral supporting players to match up against the others. Plus, Brenda has a way of self imploding when the favorite.

Reaction Score
Rirght now it is clear that UConn can beat anyone on a given day and can do so in clutch performances, defensively and offensively, at the end of a hard fought game.

And this is primarily with fearless Freshmen and Sophomores, who have played at a level that has greatly exceeded expectations: and, with their drive to improve, and the best coaching staff in the country will hone them into a much better team by mid-March

They will also have time to get over injuries. They have been tested, so, having a less rigorous schedule for the rest of the season might be an advantage.

I think that by tournament time, UConn will improve more than the teams that they will have to beat for the championship.

Reaction Score
I think no one has earned the #1 ranking. I'd just wait until the completion of the conference tournaments before making that choice. Too much uncertainty and inconsistency to date.

Reaction Score
Geno would probably say himself that he has in the past had better #1 team players rate this high...but ultimately he might finish the statement with...you need to play whom ever is in your bracket and keep winning until the trophy is handed to your team...simply my thoughts.

Reaction Score
UConn is as good a choice for #1 as any right now. There is no proven dominant team as this stage. No team is a lock to get past the final 8 come next month. There are 6-8 teams that could win the NC and none of them that can be confident of making the final four.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
This year is everybody's guess. With Paige UConn does have more advantage to be #1.

Next year with Azzi in, UConn is clearly the #1.
SC returns everyone and brings in a stacked class too. It'll likely be a heavy weight battle between the two programs for #1. Both coaches will have similarly loaded rosters and will need to navigate playing time and establishing a rotation.

AgStatesman

The Boards Most Rational Poster
Reaction Score
SC returns everyone and brings in a stacked class too. It'll likely be a heavy weight battle between the two programs for #1. Both coaches will have similarly loaded rosters and will need to navigate playing time and establishing a rotation.

The fallacy with this thought is that only five play at a time. UConn's five are better than their five. UConn has better player and UConn has a better coach. It won't be anywhere near as close as some think it might be.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
The fallacy with this thought is that only five play at a time. UConn's five are better than their five. UConn has better player and UConn has a better coach. It won't be anywhere near as close as some think it might be.
It's hard to make a conclusive statement like this when the season is a year away and we don't know how incoming players will affect on court chemistry or how they'll fit into each coach's system.

In the game they played last week, both teams 5 players on the court were practically dead even, hence the OT game. You're entitled to your own predictions, but I dont see there being a massive gap between the programs next year (or the year after) assuming the rosters end up being how they're projected to.

Reaction Score
We are the best team right now, hence the number one ranking. Isn't there a tournament to determine the "best" team at the end of the year?

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Too hard to tell who the real #1 is. Even after a champion is crowned can we be sure that will be the best team? Lots of parity this year. Whoever has the best run in the Tourney will win.

Reaction Score
In the game they played last week, both teams 5 players on the court were practically dead even, hence the OT game.
I cannot believe you think Paige was practically dead. I doubt you have watch UConn - South Carolina game.

Paige has 31 pts, 4 rebs, 5 asts and 6 stls in this game and you said she was practically dead?

Reaction Score
If more players achieve a level of consistency on the defensive and offensive end, UCONN certainly has a very good shot at winning it all. Now that we have the #1 ranking, can we hold on to it through this season and into the future?? Think about that possibility!

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Doesn't Hadley know that Ohio State is not eligible to play in the Tournament this year, so there is no way they could win it.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I think no one has earned the #1 ranking. I'd just wait until the completion of the conference tournaments before making that choice. Too much uncertainty and inconsistency to date.
I think every team that has been ranked #1 this season earned it. What no team has earned is best team in the country. That probably won't happen until the winner of the NC is crowned.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I cannot believe you think Paige was practically dead. I doubt you have watch UConn - South Carolina game.

Paige has 31 pts, 4 rebs, 5 asts and 6 stls in this game and you said she was practically dead?
Kaizen, you misunderstood bballnut90's meaning. Of course, unless you were just kidding. Look at the word following "dead".

Reaction Score
Kaizen, you misunderstood bballnut90's meaning. Of course, unless you were just kidding. Look at the word following "dead".
Of course I was kidding. Remember I didn't bold the word "even". ;)

==> In the game they played last week, both teams 5 players on the court were practically dead even, hence the OT game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom