UConn Women: Geno Auriemma Gathers Team, And The 2018-19 Project Has Begun | The Boneyard

UConn Women: Geno Auriemma Gathers Team, And The 2018-19 Project Has Begun

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
“Somebody asked [before the 2017-18 season] where I would like to be,” Auriemma said. “I said I'd like to be in the same spot we were in [the year before] and we'll take our chances. Well, we were in the same exact spot and we took our chances and we came up short. All right. What's your goal for next year? I want to be in the same situation and we'll take our chances.”

Third time's a charm. :) Let's see if the upperclassmen can develop a little nasty while they're on the court.

Geno has some wise words for our Gloomy Gus's to ponder:

“I try not to dwell on things like I used to,” he said. “One of the biggest differences over the years, and maybe because success does this to you -- maybe back in the day this would bother me forever. You would sometimes overreact, sometimes be rash in decisions you make. The feeling is still the same, any time you lose on the final weekend. But how long you hold onto it, that's changed.”

Reaction Score
Somewhat encouraging, I suppose. But he's still talking down the potential and goals of the team. It remains an open question in my mind as to whether he and perhaps the program at large are hungry enough at this point to win the last two games of a season. There's no shame in it if they're not.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Somewhat encouraging, I suppose. But he's still talking down the potential and goals of the team. It remains an open question in my mind as to whether he and perhaps the program at large are hungry enough at this point to win the last two games of a season. There's no shame in it if they're not.

I cannot believe you just said that. But I guess you did.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I like how he puts it all on the returning players. It's your team now ladies. You own it.

Also I think there was a veiled warning concerning the freshmen, Williams and ONO. If they are good enough they may be playing your minutes and leading the upperclassmen. Sabrina Ionescu proved it could happen.

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Really? Didn’t you see this?

We do things differently here, because we're different. We don't mind playing anybody, anywhere, any time. We're at the point now where we don't care what our record is in the regular season. All we care about is, we're going to try to win every game and then it's a six-game season at the end. That's it.”

Reaction Score
Really? Didn’t you see this?

We do things differently here, because we're different. We don't mind playing anybody, anywhere, any time. We're at the point now where we don't care what our record is in the regular season. All we care about is, we're going to try to win every game and then it's a six-game season at the end. That's it.”
Yes, that's definitely a positive.

As for the whole lack of killer instinct thing, maybe I'm off base, I don't think we have enough information to really know. At some point, though, I hope there'll be an inflection point in tone from Geno. This sounded a bit too much like his standard talking points from the past two or three of years.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Yes, that's definitely a positive.

As for the whole lack of killer instinct thing, maybe I'm off base, I don't think we have enough information to really know. At some point, though, I hope there'll be an inflection point in tone from Geno. This sounded a bit too much like his standard talking points from the past two or three of years.
What, exactly, do you want him to say to make you happy?

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
If you ever could look into the eyes of some of the Connecticut girls during games, and how the coaches push their players to excel year after year, and how even in adversity the next team takes the torch and some opponents cower while having to play them, I do not think you can ask for more killer instinct from a team, year after year.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I do not think you can ask for more killer instinct from a team, year after year.

When the history of this season is understood in a multi-year context, I think this season's team will be understood as super skillful, a bit finesse(y) and a tiny bit soft.

I thought so (and so remarked) early in the season and think so today.

Reaction Score

When did making the final 4 become a failure??

Reaction Score
Did I convey anywhere in my post the idea that what the team achieved this season somehow equates to failure? No, I did not.

Reaction Score
I cannot believe you just said that. But I guess you did.
Agreed... he didn't "talk down the potential and goals of the team"... in essence he said we play a demanding out of conference schedule... any team, anywhere, any time... and don't care if we lose a game or two along the way... what matters most is the Six Game Season at the end of the year. The biggest prize is the National Championship, and regardless of what happens along the way to getting there doesn't really matter...it's the gold ring.

Think about it... ND did not win OUTRIGHT the ACC Regular Season Championship. They did not win the ACC Tournament Championship... but they won the championship at the end of the Six Game Season at the end of the year. The Biggest Prize of them All... Still clearly in Geno's sights and in the cross hairs of the team!

Reaction Score
Did I convey anywhere in my post the idea that what the team achieved this season somehow equates to failure? No, I did not.
You constantly question Geno.
You just questioned if the coaches and players are hungry enough to win the last two games. THE FINAL FOUR. Really?
This is a slap in the face of the entire program.

Reaction Score
Good grief. Some of you posters ought to head over to the men's basketball side, or some of the other WCBB forums to see what a free and respectful exchange of ideas looks like. Differences of opinion are officially encouraged here, too. This is not supposed to be a place where we impose an orthodoxy of thought such as the head coach being beyond occasional criticism, especially after a bad loss like this one. To say that questioning Geno's the hunger at this point and time in his career is a "slap in the face of the entire program" is simply absurd.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Good grief. Some of you posters ought to head over to the men's basketball side, or some of the other WCBB forums to see what a free and respectful exchange of ideas looks like. Differences of opinion are officially encouraged here, too. This is not supposed to be a place where we impose an orthodoxy of thought such as the head coach being beyond occasional criticism, especially after a bad loss like this one. To say that questioning Geno's the hunger at this point and time in his career is a "slap in the face of the entire program" is simply absurd.
Wait - you Stated an opinion and then others stated theirs, disagreeing with you. That’s not imposing an orthodoxy of anything; it’s an exchange of opinions, just like you asked for. You just expressed a minority opinion.

And, lol, you using the men’s board as an example of a “respectful” exchange of ideas.

Reaction Score
When the history of this season is understood in a multi-year context, I think this season's team will be understood as super skillful, a bit finesse(y) and a tiny bit soft.

I thought so (and so remarked) early in the season and think so today.

Yeah any time you have 3 players playing with injuries they are soft :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Wait - you Stated an opinion and then others stated theirs, disagreeing with you. That’s not imposing an orthodoxy of anything; it’s an exchange of opinions, just like you asked for. You just expressed a minority opinion.

C'mon, Nan. Comments such as "You constantly question Geno" (which isn't true. I rarely but sometimes do) and "This is a slap in the face of the entire program" is not an exchange of ideas just like I asked for. It's closer to a soft shaming as it has nothing to do with the topic at hand. Not that I can't handle that, it sometimes goes with the territory of expressing a minority opinion, unfortunately. But that's what it is.

Reaction Score
C'mon, Nan. Comments such as "You constantly question Geno" (which isn't true. I rarely but sometimes do) and "This is a slap in the face of the entire program" is not an exchange of ideas just like I asked for. It's closer to a soft shaming as it has nothing to do with the topic at hand. Not that I can't handle that, it sometimes goes with the territory of expressing a minority opinion, unfortunately. But that's what it is.
You are obviously directing this to me.
And I am on the men's, hockey and football boards all the time.
I am one of a few here who follow multiple Uconn sports very closely. Maybe you should follow the other boards to see what the real sports world is all about.
I have no problem critiquing anyone but you make crazy statements like not being hungry enough or Geno down playing expectations.
He has stated repeatedly anything short of the Final Four and NCs is a disappointment. He has also said they can not win all the time.
You just have ridiculous high expectations like many here.
I can only imagine what you and others would say if they lost a few regular season games.

Reaction Score
“Somebody asked [before the 2017-18 season] where I would like to be,” Auriemma said. “I said I'd like to be in the same spot we were in [the year before] and we'll take our chances. Well, we were in the same exact spot and we took our chances and we came up short. All right. What's your goal for next year? I want to be in the same situation and we'll take our chances.”

Third time's a charm. :) Let's see if the upperclassmen can develop a little nasty while they're on the court.

Geno has some wise words for our Gloomy Gus's to ponder:

“I try not to dwell on things like I used to,” he said. “One of the biggest differences over the years, and maybe because success does this to you -- maybe back in the day this would bother me forever. You would sometimes overreact, sometimes be rash in decisions you make. The feeling is still the same, any time you lose on the final weekend. But how long you hold onto it, that's changed.”
Loved this article and your responses.
He's incredibly grounded when it comes to his and the program's culture and expectations. I loved his comment about freshman having to earn their playing time here, and not getting it solely on reputation. Also how each person / player develops at their own pace and nothing's given. This is all I've tried to state about MW, just let her earn it in practice and on the court.
Bronx23

Reaction Score
I think the two losses the last two years need to be put in perspective. There have been two losses in the semifinals both in overtime.
Firstly we must not forget how darn hard it is to get to that point. It's not a gifted right that the U Conn women's basketball team gets. Kudos to everyone who contributed to this success. Savor it for awhile and then the work begins again!
On the other hand what might those two losses tell Geno, CD, the other coaches, the players and us. I don't think it has anything to do with wanting it enough. It has to do with many things. The very best programs, teams and coaches are more prepared and making adjustments to the U Conn system, sometimes with Geno's help. Inviting them in and letting them watch, analyze, discuss with him what they are all about. I think it shows Geno's enormous respect and love for the game. The tough side of it, is it makes them so much more competitive with U Conn. ND is a bit different as they play U Conn regularly and MM is a great coach in her own right, so she's figured it out.
I said here a few times at least that maybe Geno, CD and the other coaches now have the adjustments and analysis to make and I don't think they have done that so well up to this point. Geno putting it on the players in many ways is absolutely correct but he and the coaches surely have a lot to do with it as well. The system offensively needs tweaking. There needs to be a plan and readiness to adapt and modify the ball movement when things get tight. A player or two needs to develop and strengthen their ability and willingness to make it happen in these moments. They haven't yet shown that there's a player who can do that and make the system work but in their specific hands. A bit of selfishness and willfulness might be needed. Gabby while great often came closest, but her offensive outside game still needs development. Kia had a tremendous career but can't create her own shot. Pheesa is amazing but might be a bit too nice and finesse like at those moments. KLS shows glimpses of maybe being capable but defers and gets lost rather than demand the ball so she can shoot, drive, pass, post, whatever. CD is becoming a top point guard and much more is in the horizon but she wasn't ready yet. AZ literally took over the game offensively in the second period then sat way into the third period and the lead was lost. They didn't go to her anywhere enough. While I don't think that's the reason she chose to go pro, it might have been a piece. You must adjust not only to Geno's system and expectations but to become the first sub. You do just that and become one of the core six. Then you demonstrate changing the game and still you're sitting. One could perceive that as no matter what I do, it's either not enough or it won't help me shine too. This is all on Geno! Sorry even the greatest of all time can and does make mistakes. Then there's MW who needs to prove it in practice and in the court and so far, has done very little of that.
I believe next year this team will get to the Elite Eight and these moments will be there again. Getting to that point after losing three first round draft choices will be truly amazing. Whether everyone then is ready and prepared to get to the FF and face it again, remains to be seen.
It's on the players and the coaching staff together to make it happen. I don't expect a NC next year, but I do hope some of what I mentioned above to be addressed and improved. None of what I've said hasn't been said or noticed by others, so hopefully they will do it!
Bronx23

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

It's not unless you're clearly the best team on the floor.

whcih they were each of the past 2 years, and it wasn't really close.

They've given 2 titles away the past 2 years.

It's like prime Tiger at a major. When is a top 5 finish at the masters a failure? When you're Tiger Woods.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It's not unless you're clearly the best team on the floor.

whcih they were each of the past 2 years, and it wasn't really close.

They've given 2 titles away the past 2 years.

It's like prime Tiger at a major. When is a top 5 finish at the masters a failure? When you're Tiger Woods.
When UConn had Stewie, Mo & Tuck, they were clearly the "best team on the floor" with the possible exception of their freshman year when the Huskies caught a few breaks. The past two seasons, while the Huskies were very good, they lacked the dominant player to put them over the top. As a result they faced teams that were equally talented and lost.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom