UConn Women: Geno Auriemma Gathers Team, And The 2018-19 Project Has Begun | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn Women: Geno Auriemma Gathers Team, And The 2018-19 Project Has Begun

Reaction Score
Pretty cavalier attitude for someone sitting on a couch watching the game. Some of the injuries, especially the IT band syndrome and the shin splits, were very painful to play through. And Gabby suffered migraines as well.
No one doubts the pain, but that doesn't mean other teams aren't dealing with the same or worse. When you're an athlete you get dinged up during the course of a season. The players were about as healthy as athletes that endure the high demands of a long season were going to be. UConn has been very lucky on the injury front the last several years relative to our competitors. I stand by my assertion that UConn's season didn't end because of injuries since it was beaten by a team so bitten by the injury bug that they had to have walk-ons fill in for all the ACL victims.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
No one doubts the pain, but that doesn't mean other teams aren't dealing with the same or worse. When you're an athlete you get dinged up during the course of a season. The players were about as healthy as athletes that endure the high demands of a long season were going to be. UConn has been very lucky on the injury front the last several years relative to our competitors. I stand by my assertion that UConn's season didn't end because of injuries since it was beaten by a team so bitten by the injury bug that they had to have walk-ons fill in for all the ACL victims.
Yes, UConn didn’t lose players for the entire season, as Notre Dame did. I don’t know what other teams were dealing with, but UConn had 3 or 4 players who played through real injuries for much of the season. Sure, it’s normal for players to be fatigued or dinged up at the end of the year, but I’d put the UConn injuries in a category beyond “dinged up.” Crystal couldn’t practice and played through pain. Gabby grimaced on and off through the season. Lou limped occasionally, including in the second half of the championship game. I disagree with the statement that injuries didn’t cost them the game. Geno doesn’t make excuses, and he thought the kids could overdone the injuries, but it was too much.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Pretty cavalier attitude for someone sitting on a couch watching the game. Some of the injuries, especially the IT band syndrome and the shin splits, were very painful to play through. And Gabby suffered migraines as well.
Sure, but they played through them. Quite different from not able to play. The point is that ND's injuries as a team were much worse than UCONN's. If people want say UCONN's injuries were too much to overcome, well ND's were much worse, yet they overcame them.

Personally, I don't think the injuries had anything to do with losing to ND. UCONN just got outplayed for 1 game, barely. It happens. A last second shot in OT? UCONN could have just as easily won as lost.

Reaction Score
Gabby’s injury actually seemed to help her (per Geno), and KLS has an injury that’s chronic that she’s had since high school (per KLS) and will to the day she’s six feet under. Players on every team are dealing with things at the end of a long and grueling season. UConn has been lucky the last several years when it comes to injuries - definitely an advantage over opponents.
Her injury helped her. I know no one wants to criticize Geno but come on. KLS did have ankle surgery today so I think the extent of her injury and her injury being with her to she's six feet under, may not be accurate information. Just sayin'! I am not naïve and I do know that all teams have aches and pains throughout a normal season and I know that no Huskie had any amputations or instances of leprosy but with their depth issues, it contributed to some of their injuries not getting adequate rest to resolve. Didn't Crystal have some serious problems throughout the season that contributed to some inconsistences upon her return?

Reaction Score
Sure, but they played through them. Quite different from not able to play. The point is that ND's injuries as a team were much worse than UCONN's. If people want say UCONN's injuries were too much to overcome, well ND's were much worse, yet they overcame them.

Personally, I don't think the injuries had anything to do with losing to ND. UCONN just got outplayed for 1 game, barely. It happens. A last second shot in OT? UCONN could have just as easily won as lost.
I think nagging injuries could sometimes be worse than ACL injuries because in the case of an ACL injury, you know that you've lost that player for the season but nagging injuries can affect the effectiveness of a player and diminish their game whereas when you lose a player, another player (healthy) comes in and hopefully is capable of contributing at a high level. I think Notre Dame had a better DEEP roster than most teams and especially UConn and the fact that those ACL injuries happened either prior to the season or early in the season, allowed their replacements to get the minutes to show their abilities and grow. In actuality, it's possible that the replacement players actually eventually played at a higher level than the player they were replacing and it might have improved their chemistry. That supposition can never be proven but it surely isn't impossible that it may not be accurate. Remember Lou Gehrig got in the lineup because another player (was it Wally Pip) got hurt and he didn't do too bad until he developed ALS. One of the top 20 players in the history of baseball, easily!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I think nagging injuries could sometimes be worse than ACL injuries because in the case of an ACL injury, you know that you've lost that player for the season but nagging injuries can affect the effectiveness of a player and diminish their game whereas when you lose a player, another player (healthy) comes in and hopefully is capable of contributing at a high level. I think Notre Dame had a better DEEP roster than most teams and especially UConn and the fact that those ACL injuries happened either prior to the season or early in the season, allowed their replacements to get the minutes to show their abilities and grow. In actuality, it's possible that the replacement players actually eventually played at a higher level than the player they were replacing and it might have improved their chemistry. That supposition can never be proven but it surely isn't impossible that it may not be accurate. Remember Lou Gehrig got in the lineup because another player (was it Wally Pip) got hurt and he didn't do too bad until he developed ALS. One of the top 20 players in the history of baseball, easily!
So are you implying we'd have been better off if KLS, Williams and Dangerfield had had season ending injuries?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
UConn doesn’t cut down nets at the Regionals. It’s clear what their goal is.

They may not have before or since.. But they cut the nets down in 2008. I was there to witness it.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Yes, UConn didn’t lose players for the entire season, as Notre Dame did. I don’t know what other teams were dealing with, but UConn had 3 or 4 players who played through real injuries for much of the season. Sure, it’s normal for players to be fatigued or dinged up at the end of the year, but I’d put the UConn injuries in a category beyond “dinged up.” Crystal couldn’t practice and played through pain. Gabby grimaced on and off through the season. Lou limped occasionally, including in the second half of the championship game. I disagree with the statement that injuries didn’t cost them the game. Geno doesn’t make excuses, and he thought the kids could overdone the injuries, but it was too much.

It's not as if the 6 that won the title for ND were perfectly healthy. Kat Westbeld (both ankles), Jackie Young (nose), and Marina Mabrey (shooting hand) were all various degrees of injured.

Katie Lou played 39 minutes against South Carolina. UConn led by 21 after 2 and by 29 after 3. Stevens (soon to be a WNBA-lottery pick) played 14 minutes. Megan Walker played 12. I can only conclude that Katie Lou was considered to be good to go. Either that or Geno is guilty of coaching malpractice.

Same goes for Gabby (32 minutes) and Dangerfield (30).

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It's not as if the 6 that won the title for ND were perfectly healthy. Kat Westbeld (both ankles), Jackie Young (nose), and Marina Mabrey (shooting hand) were all various degrees of injured.

Katie Lou played 39 minutes against South Carolina. UConn led by 21 after 2 and by 29 after 3. Stevens (soon to be a WNBA-lottery pick) played 14 minutes. Megan Walker played 12. I can only conclude that Katie Lou was considered to be good to go. Either that or Geno is guilty of coaching malpractice.

Same goes for Gabby (32 minutes) and Dangerfield (30).
Ok, I wasn’t familiar with the ND (or other) injuries, as I said. As you know, Lou needed surgery.

Reaction Score
Yeah any time you have 3 players playing with injuries they are soft :rolleyes:

I have to agree that this year's walking wounded is a good example of UCONN's toughness, playing hurt, playing out of position, not able to go 100 % at critical times, all examples of grit under pressure. Certainly, Lou's ankle surgery explains why she had troubles in the final four and who knows who of the other players were fighting nagging physical issues.
ND had a bunch of season-postponing and season-ending injuries, but the remaining high-school All American starters seemed to be operating on all cylinders. (Last time) Our 6' 6" non- injured center got more rest than she needed.

Reaction Score
Although the injuries themselves weren't season-ending, they limited practice time, especially for Crystal and Lou during the second half of the season and during the tournament. This is what I think was so concerning -- they were unable to practice with the team. FYI, I was at the open practice in late February and Crystal shot while the others scrimmaged and did drills; Lou also was limited. I can see where this would affect the rhythm and timing ...

Reaction Score
Lou, Gabby, Crystal, and maybe Pheesa.
Thank you. The presumption that all was well with UConn's team is false. Just the fact that KLS was operated on right after the season should say something. Does anyone have any experience with how painful shin splints are? In order to rest them, you find yourself being a little out of rhythm and shape so it's difficult and it probably gets in your head a bit, as well and keeps you from pushing yourself the way you'd like to.

Reaction Score
Although the injuries themselves weren't season-ending, they limited practice time, especially for Crystal and Lou during the second half of the season and during the tournament. This is what I think was so concerning -- they were unable to practice with the team. FYI, I was at the open practice in late February and Crystal shot while the others scrimmaged and did drills; Lou also was limited. I can see where this would affect the rhythm and timing ...
Actually I just added something related to how Crystal's shin splints affected her rhythm and game readiness. I guess great minds think alike.

Reaction Score
It's very obvious that you stand by your assertion because you've replied numerous times to say that all things are equal and that there is no distinction from team to team. I think that remark is ludicrous and I'm not saying that there was no team that wasn't affected worse but the teams that were affected worse weren't playing in the national championship semi-finals. Notre Dame lost players early this season to season ending injuries but they had a big talented roster and they were able to get talented replacements in their rotation early to develop team chemistry and there's nothing to suggest that the team was affected by any substantive nagging injuries, particularly late in the year. That wasn't the case with the Huskies and since their rotation wasn't nearly as deep, players weren't able to get rest but had to try and play through injuries that affected their performance. How effective was Lou? 85%, 75%, 92%, 60% at the end of the season? There's no telling but can you speak for Notre Dame's starters playing at much less than 100% in that semi-final. I don't think there was a hint that they were handicapped in any way in the Final Four. The game went into overtime and UConn had actually an 8 point lead midway through the fourth quarter when the impact of injuries would probably be felt the most. Beyond that, having a few key players in foul trouble didn't help things either. I'm inclined to think when you're playing injured and trying to defend, you might be more likely to commit tick tack fouls when you're trying to start or stop or cut quickly on bad legs. or ankles.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Did you watch the semi-final game? On that night Notre Dame was the best team on the floor. Excellent team defense, excellent job of finding the shooters on offense, a lights out performance by Jackie Young, and an ice-water performance by Arike Ogunbowale. The notion that UCONN "gave away" the game is beyond insulting to both teams.

Please explain to me how a team plays "Excellent team defense" when they give up more 3 point field goals and more 2 point field goals than they score. I still feel we have to look elsewhere to find the defense played against UConn.

Reaction Score
Please explain to me how a team plays "Excellent team defense" when they give up more 3 point field goals and more 2 point field goals than they score. I still feel we have to look elsewhere to find the defense played against UConn.
Lots of possibilities. For example, if a team is not very good on offense, it could play excellent defense against another team and still not outscore it from the field (or overall, for that matter). Alternatively, a team might be quite good on offense, play excellent defense, and still score fewer buckets from the field than a team that is even better on offense, or even better on defense.

Reaction Score

If I didn't know better about this past season, I would think ND had "walk-ons" in the game that beat UConn.

Reaction Score
It's very obvious that you stand by your assertion because you've replied numerous times to say that all things are equal and that there is no distinction from team to team. I think that remark is ludicrous and I'm not saying that there was no team that wasn't affected worse but the teams that were affected worse weren't playing in the national championship semi-finals. Notre Dame lost players early this season to season ending injuries but they had a big talented roster and they were able to get talented replacements in their rotation early to develop team chemistry and there's nothing to suggest that the team was affected by any substantive nagging injuries, particularly late in the year. That wasn't the case with the Huskies and since their rotation wasn't nearly as deep, players weren't able to get rest but had to try and play through injuries that affected their performance. How effective was Lou? 85%, 75%, 92%, 60% at the end of the season? There's no telling but can you speak for Notre Dame's starters playing at much less than 100% in that semi-final. I don't think there was a hint that they were handicapped in any way in the Final Four. The game went into overtime and UConn had actually an 8 point lead midway through the fourth quarter when the impact of injuries would probably be felt the most. Beyond that, having a few key players in foul trouble didn't help things either. I'm inclined to think when you're playing injured and trying to defend, you might be more likely to commit tick tack fouls when you're trying to start or stop or cut quickly on bad legs. or ankles.
What is the point of your post? Really. To me, it sounds like you're trying to make excuses for UConn for why they lost. Directly comparing their injuries to the champions injuries. Why? Those issues were hardly worried about or covered by the majority of posters here before the game. If UConn won it all, (it could have happened cuz the games were so close) would these problems come up? I know that KLS had surgery, so that's why this came up. But it wasn't bad enough to the point where she couldn't play. ND played with injured players too, Mabrey, Westbeld, and kind of Young because of her broken nose. If ND lost the game, if they brought up the current injuries it would be them making excuses. Just let the horse die. They won. Injuries are a part of the game unfortunately.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom