UCONN wins in spite of Geno | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UCONN wins in spite of Geno

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I believe the point of this post was the mis-communication with Nurse on the foul. It appeared that Geno thought the team had another foul to give, and they did not. This is usually the responsibility of one of the assistant coaches; I expect that one of them will be running laps or fetching tea for Geno, tomorrow.

I will note that Geno was very calm for most of the game, while the officials were tanking the game. I almost looked like that Stanford game not too long ago, where he looked like he was OK losing the game to end the streak and take the pressure off. ALMOST...he didn't look that way after the SNAFU with Nurse and the foul.

I agree with your first paragraph and the Refs--they wanted their TV time.

I thought Geno gave his kids enough rope to hang themselves and they nearly did--but he finally put in his experience and pulled the team together and history was written. Make no mistake--Geno hates losing..

Geno was checking with Marissa during that fouling sequence. I thought his use of Dangerfield was inspired, effective, and right.
Also putting a frosh in during the last 1 minute show he has lots of trust in her abilities and intelligence. It proved the right move.

Uconn in this game caused like 20 fouls way too many turnovers--but that was not the problem of this UConn team---shot selection during the first half was the problem--rushed shots way too many by every player.

Lots of pluses in this game--Dangerfield, Collier 26 point???? Wow, Samuelson found her shots, Chong Chong Chong--proved she could be the player she was in HS in scoring, Butler was very effective as was Gabby, Kia played in the game too, Molly played well for a Frosh in a far away game. This was not the greatest exhibition by a Uconn team but it did show they could come from behind and beat a good team on their home court.

The refs took away any flow for this game--in the first half no one could move without a foul. Both team were frustrated by the Refs.
All in all i enjoyed this game--it's been a long time since i wasn't sure of the out come..

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Let me get this straight. You went to a Parent Conference instead of watching the game live??? :)
Lol. I think I've previously put you on my "You ain't no good list", so you're exempt here.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Wish I could contribute, but I was picking up the spouse at the airport. I'll watch the replay. What I see here makes me believe I'll be shouting profanities at the TV. :eek:

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Listened to the Florida TunieIn feed. They were amused at how long it took for UConn to get called for a foul in the second half.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Wish I could contribute, but I was picking up the spouse at the airport. I'll watch the replay. What I see here makes me believe I'll be shouting profanities at the TV. :eek:
Actually you're going to enjoy this game. Fun from start to finish. How could anyone be disappointed if it were a loss and this young team played that hard?

Reaction Score
It already is Nan.

Naw---it's going to be a great season. look at the development that happened tonight with Collier, Dangerfield, Chong, Samuelson---they all learned a lot. And the ylearned they can come from behind if they work as a team and take better unrushed shots.
I enjoyed this game. This is ONE GAME with 8 or 10 kids that never played as a team --it take time to develop chemistry and to mentally know what each team member is going to do. Not a great game but fun to watch.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Naw---it's going to be a great season. look at the development that happened tonight with Collier, Dangerfield, Chong, Samuelson---they all learned a lot. And the ylearned they can come from behind if they work as a team and take better unrushed shots.
I enjoyed this game. This is ONE GAME with 8 or 10 kids that never played as a team --it take time to develop chemistry and to mentally know what each team member is going to do. Not a great game but fun to watch.
Double like.

Reaction Score
There were some iffy calls, but mostly the officiating was better than average, which is a plus for WCBB.
The officiating wasn't horrible (for WCBB) but I do think it was worse than average.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Actually you're going to enjoy this game. Fun from start to finish. How could anyone be disappointed if it were a loss and this young team played that hard?

I got home with 3 minutes to play, saw the score on ESPN and started reconciling myself to a "learning experience loss", but they went ahead and ruined that! :)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Why no Kyla in the game?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Crystal is planing much better than L Cox (zero point tonight) ...LOL

You should wait until the game is over Thursday night before you do too much laughing. Cox just couldn't get on the court tonight because Kalani Brown was so dominant. I'm not sure I remember Griner having a more complete game than Brown had tonight.

Reaction Score
I agree with your first paragraph and the Refs--they wanted their TV time.

I thought Geno gave his kids enough rope to hang themselves and they nearly did--but he finally put in his experience and pulled the team together and history was written. Make no mistake--Geno hates losing..

Geno was checking with Marissa during that fouling sequence. I thought his use of Dangerfield was inspired, effective, and right.
Also putting a frosh in during the last 1 minute show he has lots of trust in her abilities and intelligence. It proved the right move.

Uconn in this game caused like 20 fouls way too many turnovers--but that was not the problem of this UConn team---shot selection during the first half was the problem--rushed shots way too many by every player.

Lots of pluses in this game--Dangerfield, Collier 26 point???? Wow, Samuelson found her shots, Chong Chong Chong--proved she could be the player she was in HS in scoring, Butler was very effective as was Gabby, Kia played in the game too, Molly played well for a Frosh in a far away game. This was not the greatest exhibition by a Uconn team but it did show they could come from behind and beat a good team on their home court.

The refs took away any flow for this game--in the first half no one could move without a foul. Both team were frustrated by the Refs.
All in all i enjoyed this game--it's been a long time since i wasn't sure of the out come..
Dangerfield should have never come out of the game at 6:55 for Nurse. She already has a better feel for the pace and is more under control.

Reaction Score
These seasons are fun to watch, and GREAT to see in person, but it's tough to be a mod. There are lots of cranky-pants on the board when UConn doesn't win by 40.
I would suggest those that demand 40 point wins are not truly UCWBB fans---although part of being the fan of a college team is to Monday morning second guess the coach on close games--it's been so long since we had that opportunity--some may have forgotten how to second guess Geno!! But for me that is my forte.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I like games like this far more than 40-point blowouts. Of course one could enjoy the amazing athleticism of the Triumvirate, and the symphonic precision of the offense when they were running it. But I like suspense, and I also like seeing unexpected players like Napheesa, Saniya, and Crystal having HUGE games. It's also easy to imagine how much room this team has to improve -- their talent so far exceeds their actual production this evening. It's a safe bet that we will see that gradually develop over the season, not without a few losses in November and December.

We always say that the team will be much better in March and April than it is at this time in the season, and it is always true. But that will be especially true this season, and especially significant.

BTW, I think it is entirely possible that Natalie Butler will replace Kia Nurse in the starting lineup on Thursday evening. Natalie played well, and Kia did not, so there would be a "dog house" aspect of this change as well as a recognition that if the small lineup of starters tonight could not clear the boards against Florida State, they certainly will not be successful against Baylor.

If Butler starts, then one of tonight's starters has to come off the bench. Based on tonight's productivity, it would have to be Kia.

I don't see this as a permanent move, just a one game adaptation that also serves as a nudge to Kia to get her head more in the game.

Reaction Score
Listened to the Florida TunieIn feed. They were amused at how long it took for UConn to get called for a foul in the second half.
A millionaire coach may have adjusted their income at half time--or Uconn played with more poise in the second half.

Reaction Score
Why no Kyla in the game?
Interesting comment--I wondered too. I saw at least 2 USF posts that were her size (wide and high) and thought she could have adjusted their attitudes.

Reaction Score
I do think Geno made a few coaching mistakes at the end. Don't think he realized Chong had 4 fouls, and then the miscommunication to Nurse, who also had 4. Had the game gone to OT, it would've been a challenge to not have the 2 primary ball handlers.

But Geno did coach the team through a shaky first half and then a 7 point deficit, so I guess we can keep him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Dangerfield should have never come out of the game at 6:55 for Nurse. She already has a better feel for the pace and is more under control.
BobbyJ---I don't much like agreeing with someone who disagrees with Geno's game management--but i thought the same thing. in my stupid unpracticed coaching opinion i thought Geno's use of Dangerfield was some of his best coaching--and leaving Gabby in to get her 3'd within 4 minutes of the beginning of the game--wasn't. So now all my brownie points for supporting Geno have been used up agreeing with you--what shall i do now"/???? And not one atta-boy in sight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom