UConn vs. Vermont - First Hockey East Home Playoff Series (3/4 - 3/6) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn vs. Vermont - First Hockey East Home Playoff Series (3/4 - 3/6)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Don't know if you guys caught this on Twitter:

I'm certainly no big fan of Jeff Cox, but Geoff Miller has been atrocious this year. Made the EXACT same call in the BU game last night on a big player. Two minutes for being large.

I saw those as they were checking the penalty on the monitor...he was livid and SCREAMING at Cav...who didn't back down 1 bit.

Reaction Score
http://www.usahockeyrulebook.com/page/show/1084676-rule-625-interference

I was right in front of it and I did NOT see anything close to interference. It was an awesome clean hit. On the side(no #) so no cross check or boarding. Just a clean hit. Keenan was hearing it from the fans before that happened, so I guess Miller wanted a taste. Holy crap do he deserve it. He really did make it about him. I know I complain about the refs a lot, but this was justified. Not only making bad calls, but just missing so many as well. Literally, the game was about them and not the players on the ice.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
http://www.usahockeyrulebook.com/page/show/1084676-rule-625-interference

I was right in front of it and I did NOT see anything close to interference. It was an awesome clean hit. On the side(no #) so no cross check or boarding. Just a clean hit. Keenan was hearing it from the fans before that happened, so I guess Miller wanted a taste. Holy crap do he deserve it. He really did make it about him. I know I complain about the refs a lot, but this was justified. Not only making bad calls, but just missing so many as well. Literally, the game was about them and not the players on the ice.
Miller was beat red when he skated over to yell at Cavanaugh. He was a joke and let the crowd get the better of him which as an official shouldn't happen. He let stuff go against UVM then they called crap on UConn and the crowd let him have it. As soon as I saw Thompson going in for the check I could tell just looking at him he was making a call regardless.

Reaction Score
That Miller is an ass. He was harassed about ignoring calls (I am innocent :D), he decided to make a stupid call. Who the heck hired him?

This program definitely has potential. Cav is recruiting some talented players. I don't blame Yale for not wanting to play us.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Miller has had a terrible, terrible season. Hockey East's coordinator of officials is even more of a joke - he lives in WISCONSIN! How can you possibly be handling officials in an eastern league when you live 1,000+ miles away? Completely stupid. Seemed officiating this weekend by and large around the league was a clown show.

Reaction Score
Awwww, poor Miller. Everyone, leave him alone. His feelings might get hurt.

Reaction Score
That Miller is an ass. He was harassed about ignoring calls (I am innocent :D), he decided to make a stupid call. Who the heck hired him?

This program definitely has potential. Cav is recruiting some talented players. I don't blame Yale for not wanting to play us.
UConn and Yale are playing next season. Not sure if it's at Yale or XL. Hopefully, Yale. Love that building.

Reaction Score
UConn and Yale are playing next season. Not sure if it's at Yale or XL. Hopefully, Yale. Love that building.
Neutral site game? With game to showcase like that, my guess is likely the XL. I agree I'd rather see it at Yale but man, those tickets will be hard to get.

Reaction Score

The whale is sweet. Went there for the 1st time last year to see the double OT loss against Harvard right after seeing the AAC tourney @ XL. Long day.
Wherever, that game will be fun. We need a nutmeg tourney. I kno, I kno. Someday...

Reaction Score
It was a good clean hit, it wasn't late, his elbows were down, it wasn't a charge, he caught him at the right time, I liked it. Having said that the ref called a minor infraction for 2 minutes. Listen these refs don't respect Cavanaugh and it's in the best interest of the team if he shuts his mouth and stops trying to bully and humiliate these guys because they are not going to change the call no matter what.
That is not why coaches in any sport yell at refs. They're arguing the next call, not the one that happened. They're also firing up their players by sticking up for them when mistakes occur. Has nothing to do with officials' respect for coaches. Miller has been making terrible calls all year against every team. Quinn loudly chewed him a new arse last night at Agganis at least twice. Jack Parker was notorious for doing the same, there's a section of the BU bench known as the "Parker Perch" where he'd hang over the boards and rail into a guy. Nothing to do with lack of respect from the officials. Cav going apeshirt is the right move.

Reaction Score
Starr Rink was massively underappreciated. Combo of Ingalls, TD Bank and Milford Ice Pavilion.

Reaction Score
Plus/minus is a terrible statistic to judge a player's ability and impact on the game.

Reaction Score
How was it interference on Thompson? The UVM player had possession.. also the Pauly knee-on-knee check should have been called.

Reaction Score
I wonder if one of the reasons for the long delays was th refs calling up whoever was in charge of the replays and telling them to knock it off. It's amazing how half way through the game they stopped showing anything controversial such as the possible kneeing at center ice that led to a goal
The refs were almost as cowardly as hockey fraud 44 changing his name.

Reaction Score
And with that I will finally put husky camper on ignore just as I did with fraud. join me all of u

Reaction Score
First off Cavanaugh doesn't have the same cache in the coaching fraternity as Quinn or Parker so stop with the garbage. Secondly they called more penalties on Uconn after he tried to bully/humiliate the ref on that play and didn't call half as many penalties on VT as they should of after that childish outburst. Do you honestly think the UConn players take Cavanaugh seriously enough that yelling at the ref"s would get them fired up? Or was he out coached by the VT coaching staff especially in the last 5-6 minutes of the game? Believe me when your the home team and you have the last change and still out coached that's not a good sign. Letunov -2, Masonius -2, Thompson -2, Pauly -2 etc..
You were warned under your other screen name hockeyfan44...that warning still stands....

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
How was it interference on Thompson? The UVM player had possession.. also the Pauly knee-on-knee check should have been called.

The no call on the knee to knee against Pauly led directly to UVM's tying goal. The UConn bench erupted after the hit. I erupted. My friend erupted. My friend's son erupted. How that wasn't an interference call (at the very least) when a clean hit by Thompson was called is beyond me.

My section is overlooking the visitors/officials tunnel. Needless to say, Miller received his fair share of objective criticisms leaving and backing out on the ice.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
^^^^totally agree with both you guys...also can say the El-Mir's coast to coast goal that tied up the game as on of the all time great goals I have ever seen since I started watching hockey. This team really came together after the Northeastern series, and they were in both these games to the end.
When they gave that penalty to Thompson for that great clean check...as Cav was screaming at them and started slamming on the boards and giving Keenan the business..Miller was screaming "SHUT THE UP CAV OR YOU'RE GONNA GO"

It's been really fun to see El-Mir's confidence grow throughout the season. In his first few games, he almost looked timid with the puck. Just looking to dish it off quickly. Last night (and Friday night too), he had quite a jump in his stride. He's taking guys on 1-on-1 and has a good handle. You're right - that 2nd goal was a highlight reel goal.

Reaction Score
I didn't see the game but a number of respected people who rarely say anything about the officiating are rather spirited here on the boneyard and elsewhere about the officiating...was it really that bad? Did it impact the final score/outcome?

Reaction Score
I didn't see the game but a number of respected people who rarely say anything about the officiating are rather spirited here on the boneyard and elsewhere about the officiating...was it really that bad? Did it impact the final score/outcome?

The officiating was horrendous. It impacted or directly led to three Vermont goals, the "interference" call on Tage, the non-offsides call and the trip of Pauly. Miller is a joke and if he isn't at least officially reviewed by the league that would be a travesty.

Reaction Score
The one thing that is common among the HE team threads on USCHO and something @brasssbonanzaa very clearly stated at the start of last season was the quality of HE officiating. After this series I understand why the word "sucks" and certain officials are always typed together in the same sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom