UConn vs. Vermont - First Hockey East Home Playoff Series (3/4 - 3/6) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn vs. Vermont - First Hockey East Home Playoff Series (3/4 - 3/6)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He said "3500-4000...in that vicinity...". So, I could see an arena >5000. New spot. Go all out. Make it is nice as gampel. Loud, low ceiling, great acoustics, no bad seat, if it can't sell beer, get some wicked good food in there. Not just dogs, pretzels, popcorn. All the equipment, classrooms, etc. I really hope they have fan/student input on plans. Set up fundraisers, raffles, auctions etc. have beers 10 one night with $1 going to rink. FDny, do you have any proof or link they're using surcharge on rink? Cause I only heard baseball, softball, soccer. It's only would only produce like 1.5 million which would help pay back bonds. I think this is going to require some additional funds. I'm all for it and would donate in way I can. Yes, like bball, they should have a split schedule. With the 20 year LOI if the renovations happen, the XL will be mainly a complete UConn $ centric venue. It will be designed for a lower bowl and a curtain system to maximize the atmosphere if it's in the plans from the start.

Will this wknd series be benedict's 1st UConn game?

Reaction Score
I like his MBTA/Fastrak comment. He's probably talking about the expansion of ctfastrak to go directly to UConn. I'm all for them starting this summer and at least planning the small infastructure to be based around UConn athletic events. Buses to and from Hartford at least for some soccer, baseball, and the gampel games.

Reaction Score
^^^^. <5000. less than 5k Too late to edit. League average is around 4K and Quinnipiac sells out WAY to easy with its 3800 rink for even a casual fan to attend. You want to drive demand and make the intimate close atmosphere, so I think somewhere between 4,000 and 5,000 is the sweet spot. Do less seats and standing room if you have to.

Reaction Score
I think end game will be 4500...expandable to 5K...they will play big games like BC, BU, PC, UNH, QU, ND in Hartford....
Tough to build an expandable arena. Once the structure is in place, you have to start knocking down walls to add seats unless there are open gaps like the old corners in Gampel. I wish they'd just recreate ND or PSU's arena structure. It'd fit the UConn brand and fanbase size perfectly. Just do without ND's ridiculous balcony structure and railings.

Even UVM's new arena they're investigating is pegged at nearly 6K. http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/...roposed-uvm-arena-still-need-donors/79091506/

Reaction Score
He said "3500-4000...in that vicinity...". So, I could see an arena >5000. New spot. Go all out. Make it is nice as gampel. Loud, low ceiling, great acoustics, no bad seat, if it can't sell beer, get some wicked good food in there. Not just dogs, pretzels, popcorn. All the equipment, classrooms, etc. I really hope they have fan/student input on plans. Set up fundraisers, raffles, auctions etc. have beers 10 one night with $1 going to rink. FDny, do you have any proof or link they're using surcharge on rink? Cause I only heard baseball, softball, soccer. It's only would only produce like 1.5 million which would help pay back bonds. I think this is going to require some additional funds. I'm all for it and would donate in way I can. Yes, like bball, they should have a split schedule. With the 20 year LOI if the renovations happen, the XL will be mainly a complete UConn $ centric venue. It will be designed for a lower bowl and a curtain system to maximize the atmosphere if it's in the plans from the start.

Will this wknd series be benedict's 1st UConn game?
If I read the motion by the BOT right that surcharge isn't going away after they pay off the bonds for the other renovations. They will need at least 1/2 of it funded by private donations like the other projects have been funded. Most likely 2/3 funded.I agree on the design and amenities. And same here..I'd donate what I could to make it happen.

Reaction Score
Tough to build an expandable arena. Once the structure is in place, you have to start knocking down walls to add seats unless there are open gaps like the old corners in Gampel. I wish they'd just recreate ND or PSU's arena structure. It'd fit the UConn brand and fanbase size perfectly. Just do without ND's ridiculous balcony structure and railings.

Even UVM's new arena they're investigating is pegged at nearly 6K. http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/...roposed-uvm-arena-still-need-donors/79091506/
By expandable I mean make area's where future boxes/club seating can be put up. At the tops of each section on the concourses. I'm with you on this but unfortunately if the XL upgrade doesn't die this will be scaled back to league minimum. My ideal on-campus facility is 6500.

Reaction Score
^^^^. <5000. less than 5k Too late to edit. League average is around 4K and Quinnipiac sells out WAY to easy with its 3800 rink for even a casual fan to attend. You want to drive demand and make the intimate close atmosphere, so I think somewhere between 4,000 and 5,000 is the sweet spot. Do less seats and standing room if you have to.
They should build to required league size (I think that's 4500)....that way there is no issues from the other schools.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I haven't been this excited for a playoff game played in this arena since 1992 - Game 6. For those of you too young to remember, Yvon Corriveau tapped in a game winner in OT to force Game 7 against Montreal. The Whale, of course, went on to lose on a backbreaking Russ Courtnall softie in Game 7 2OT. That kids, was the last time a playoff hockey game that Dooley is/was 100% invested in was played on our ice.

I. Am. Pumped.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I haven't been this excited for a playoff game played in this arena since 1992 - Game 6. For those of you too young to remember, Yvon Corriveau tapped in a game winner in OT to force Game 7 against Montreal.

Yeah, except this game will have fans at it.

#TheWhalersAreNeverComingBackGetOverIt

Reaction Score
I haven't been this excited for a playoff game played in this arena since 1992 - Game 6. For those of you too young to remember, Yvon Corriveau tapped in a game winner in OT to force Game 7 against Montreal. The Whale, of course, went on to lose on a backbreaking Russ Courtnall softie in Game 7 2OT. That kids, was the last time a playoff hockey game that Dooley is/was 100% invested in was played on our ice.

I. Am. Pumped.
I remember that game. What is it with the Whale and Montreal OT playoff games - game 7 was disgusting.

Anyway, I just looked online and it seems there are still a decent amount of tix available in the lower bowl. I wonder what kind of walk-up they get.

Reaction Score
I remember that game. What is it with the Whale and Montreal OT playoff games - game 7 was disgusting.

Anyway, I just looked online and it seems there are still a decent amount of tix available in the lower bowl. I wonder what kind of walk-up they get.
I was figuring on around 6K for attendance...similiar to the UNH game. It also seems like every game there are always people sitting up in the high corner sections that aren't blocked off.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Yeah, except this game will have fans at it.

#TheWhalersAreNeverComingBackGetOverIt

Someone p1ss in your Cheerios this morning? Jayzus, way to buzzkill my excitement.

Reaction Score
That Whaler game had fans at it...it was actually sold out. Just like ALL the Whaler playoff games. Don't let it get to you @Dooley!

http://articles.courant.com/1992-04-24/news/0000202826_1_first-home-playoff-fan-tickets

Thrusdays game against Montreal had 5,602 people with 6,728 sold.

Sucks hockey fans across the country always point to this attendance figure showing Hartford is not a hockey market. I was 8 at the time. If I could drive, I woulda went. Parents aren't really hockey fans. Birthday presents were the only time I got to see the whalers

UVM:
14/15: 5,072
15/16(whalers night): 6,442
Average: 5,757

Dooley

Reaction Score
http://articles.courant.com/1992-04-24/news/0000202826_1_first-home-playoff-fan-tickets

Sucks hockey fans across the country always point to this attendance figure showing Hartford is not a hockey market. I was 8 at the time. If I could drive, I woulda went. Parents aren't really hockey fans. Birthday presents were the only time I got to see the whalers

UVM:

That series was so poorly attended. Game 3 had about 6k. Game 4 (weekend) had 10k. Game 6 dropped back down to the 8k range. I went to all 3 but I was in high school so I could drive myself.

I've always said that they left at the worst time. Younger fans who grew up with the Whale were getting old enough to have discretionary spending money. Season tickets, with an improved product, would have been good. The issue was that there was so much bad blood between ownership and the state that even when faux ticket drive metrics were met, they were leaving no matter what.

Oh well, without that, the Rent probably never gets built and UConn is left playing hoops in a depleted mid major conference for eternity.

Reaction Score

UVM:
Ahhh yes...I apologize @zls44 ...the downhill slider the Whale started a year before when that dope Eddie Johnston traded Ron Francis, Ulf Samuelson, and Grant Jennings to Pittsburgh for John Cullen, Zarley Zalapski, and Jeff Parker. Basically the beginning of the end for the Whalers....

Reaction Score
That series was so poorly attended. Game 3 had about 6k. Game 4 (weekend) had 10k. Game 6 dropped back down to the 8k range. I went to all 3 but I was in high school so I could drive myself.

I've always said that they left at the worst time. Younger fans who grew up with the Whale were getting old enough to have discretionary spending money. Season tickets, with an improved product, would have been good. The issue was that there was so much bad blood between ownership and the state that even when faux ticket drive metrics were met, they were leaving no matter what.

Oh well, without that, the Rent probably never gets built and UConn is left playing hoops in a depleted mid major conference for eternity.
They were out the door the minute Bettman and the NHL approved the sale of the team to Karmanos and his clan of merry men. You would have most likely seen a stadium on campus that fit the minimum of 30 or 35K that was required by the Big East...and it would have been built with the football facility as part of it. Perkins was on a mission to upgrade football from the minute he stepped on campus. The BEST line I ever heard at a sporting even was muttered by a Whaler season ticket holder sitting in front of me one night at the Civic Center...it was early in the season and after a loss where they flat out played like total garbage...he turned around to me as he was getting his coat and said "every year they say this will be our year; that this team is greatly improved from last year....and every year they put the same product out on the ice for us to watch"

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Just checked XL website. There are a ton of tickets left. Looks as though it will be disappointing attendance wise.

Reaction Score
Just checked XL website. There are a ton of tickets left. Looks as though it will be disappointing attendance wise.

Reason: not 1 courant article after win. Only a 2 sentence blurb. Tmrws paper will be filled with the @ SMU game.

Not even a mass wide marketing email from UConn yet? Come on. People need time to plan. Not everyone is a Season ticket holders. Casual fans probably have no clue. Hardly any radio/tv mentions during other games....

Reaction Score
Reason: not 1 courant article after win. Only a 2 sentence blurb. Tmrws paper will be filled with the @ SMU game.

Not even a mass wide marketing email from UConn yet? Come on. People need time to plan. Not everyone is a Season ticket holders. Casual fans probably have no clue. Hardly any radio/tv mentions during other games....[/QUOTE
It's quite possible people are not believers in the team yet? As exciting as it was last Friday night with the win over UNH at the XL Center there were some piss poor performances against alot of mediocre teams this year played at the XL - Army, Sacred Heart etc... Hopefully people can forget the regular season record and jump on the bandwagon because VT can definitely be beat!!

Reaction Score
Check out this link: Really great breakdown of what happened... Check out the other links at bottom of page. Really nice blog from back in the day. Lot of good info.

http://sophia.smith.edu/~jeue/John/pete.html

A more recent 8 part series "making a relocation". Great stuff. Haven't read all of them yet.
https://cthockeyviolence.wordpress....ntold-story-of-how-hartford-lost-the-whalers/
Thanks for these...good reads. It's no wonder Karmanos cried poverty a few blackouts ago...and is desperate to sell at least a portion if not all of his team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom