UConn vs UCLA game thread | Page 18 | The Boneyard

UConn vs UCLA game thread

Reaction Score
The key is what Geno and staff do with this ugly win. I have to believe they will be all, over the team for their performance. some players looked okay, some looked not so okay and no one looked really good. They have to step it up first for Oregon and then, assuming they win (which I think they can) the final four.

Reaction Score
This was a very enjoyable game. Of course UConn did not click on all cylinders and win walking away by 35 points. It is unreasonable to expect that without exception, particularly at this time of year. There were interesting matchups, and UCLA's "athleticism" was certainly a challenge and provided some disruption. This resulted in some sloppy play, loose balls, diced to the floor, turnovers, etc. but hey, that's part of basketball, and it's what makes the game unpredictable.

Every step of the way in this season has been part of the unfolding of a story. It is absolutely wonderful to witness it in realtime!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
So, most years a team has one bad game in the NCAA tournament. For most teams it means they end up going home disappointed. Maryland, Baylor, SC, and ND last year for example or Maryland this year. For Uconn in the last decade it has mostly meant they fail to dominate a half like against Dayton, or today against UCLA or against Stanford in that 20-12 debacle of a NC.

Baylor and ND have played really well so far, but the question in my mind is ... if and when they throw in that clunker, what happens. the games and opponents are getting tougher.

Reaction Score
Yes this wasn't their best game in a while, but I seem to remember some sloppy games earlier in the season as well. It happens. What sets this team apart? Look at the Maryland game. The Terps got behind and couldn't get back in the game. The Huskies went down 7 early in the first quarter and just kept playing. They didn't panic, they didn't get frustrated or flustered. Instead, they kept working and executing. They refuse to let adversity get to them. Mental toughness.

I also noticed that UCLA had quick and athletic forwards that could match up well with Napheesa and Gabby. No other team I can remember from this year has been able to do that. Other teams (USC east and Baylor) have size, but they don't have quickness. I think that is the hardest the dynamic duo has had to work on both the offensive and defensive boards for some time.

Reaction Score
If I wasn't watching the game and was only reading the thread, I would think that UCONN was having a horrible night. This thread has been an interesting study in unrealistic expectations.

We can't score 100 every night and we can't always win by 40. Sometimes, deeper in a tourney, winning by about 18 points is okay, people...
I almost always agree with that sentiment, but there were a lot of uncharacteristic TOs, especially by KLS. The good news is when she's most needed KLS has had a knack for coming through.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Can't believe how many FT's UConn has missed today.
They missed a lot against Tulane. I believe it was eight or nine. Otherwise, that game would not have been as close as it was.

Reaction Score
People say we have a 6 man rotation but its basically 5 right now as Dangerfield looks overwhelmed.

The team is gassed at the end of this. Hopefully it's a bit of a wake up call to the staff. They are going to either have to play more zone or use another body in the first half and manage the mins better.
While in Geno we trust, concerned that in addition to being gassed, team, particularly KLS, is getting mauled. Would like to see Nat get in to give a few minutes of rest with next game in mind. With the UCLA guards blowing by the UConn guards, might be nice to have 6'5" down low.

Reaction Score
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Congratulations <a href="#NCAA hashtag on Twitter">#NCAA</a> -- A sellout crowd in Bridgeport had to watch the inept officiating of Bruce Morris and Nicole Murray for 2 hours</p>&mdash; carl adamec (@CarlAdamec) <a href="">March 25, 2017</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I was there they were terrible ! They got booed repedly and took almost 20 minutes to get the last 4 minutes of the game played. Also missed so many easy foul calls. Must have been very fustrating for the player and coaches of Uconn. Canada was a human cannon ball and should have fouled out about half way thru the third period.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I almost always agree with that sentiment, but there were a lot of uncharacteristic TOs, especially by KLS. The good news is when she's most needed KLS has had a knack for coming through.

But there's a difference between not having your "A game" and behaving like the sky is falling. Reading this thread, there were numerous times where we were winning by at least 6 possessions and people would make statements referring to what appeared to be an absolute disaster.

One poster even complained about us getting out hustled at a point in time where we had twice as many rebounds as UCLA. Twice as many! You can't make this stuff up...

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While in Geno we trust, concerned that in addition to being gassed, team, particularly KLS, is getting mauled. Would like to see Nat get in to give a few minutes of rest with next game in mind. With the UCLA guards blowing by the UConn guards, might be nice to have 6'5" down low.
Probably going to see Nat next game. Oregon's Bigs are not nearly as athletic as UCLA's.

Reaction Score
Probably going to see Nat next game. Oregon's Bigs are not nearly as athletic as UCLA's.
I agree. This game was a recipe for disaster for Butler. She would've looked like she was stuck in a revolving door today.

Reaction Score
If I wasn't watching the game and was only reading the thread, I would think that UCONN was having a horrible night. This thread has been an interesting study in unrealistic expectations.

We can't score 100 every night and we can't always win by 40. Sometimes, deeper in a tourney, winning by about 18 points is okay, people...
This is a long needed comment.

Reaction Score
She is terrible in UConn games. Period. It's not a once in a while thing. It's an all the time thing. She is a yuuuuuge distraction. I have Doris Burke fatigue. Wish we'd get some anti-UConn announcers, at least they will call the game instead of gushing for two hours.
I like Doris Burke. But sometimes her commitment to the "culture of women's basketball" distracts her from reporting on the game that is actually being played in front of her.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I like Doris Burke. But sometimes her commitment to the "culture of women's basketball" distracts her from reporting on the game that is actually being played in front of her.
You speak truth.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
I didn't care for the officiating in this game. The officials allowed the Huskies to be mauled. UCLA kept knocking the Huskies down with no fouls called. I just knew when Jordan literally pull Crystal down, there would be a foul called.

If the players are constantly allowed to beat up on each other this is dangerous, and players can get hurt. It's not just UConn games.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry, but I'm really tired of the "Dave and Doris show". Put Dave back on the radio where he belongs, and let Doris go home and spend time with her daughter

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I didn't care for the officiating in this game. The officials allowed the Huskies to be mauled. UCLA kept knocking the Huskies down with no fouls called. I just knew when Jordan literally pull Crystal down, there would be a foul called.

If the players are constantly allowed to beat up on each other this is dangerous, and players can get hurt. It's not just UConn games.

I think you could ask Jordan just how many bumps and bruises she had from all the contact she took that was not called a foul. I thought it was pretty good officiating and at the just the right level of 'contact' even with Napheesa fouling out. Uconn needs a reluctant whistle in order to keep players out of foul trouble and that is what I thought we got.

Reaction Score
Way late on this... watched the game replay this am. Pretty amazing that we held the Bruins to 22 points with one minute 46 seconds left in the half. And then, UCLA hit 3 3-pointers in an 80 second span. We countered, however, and took a sizable lead into halftime.

Again, just goes to show that unless you are up 30 points with a minute left, no lead is ever safe. I commented earlier that the announcers (Dave O'Brien, Kara, and Doris) just did not seem focused on the game being played during the second half. They spent at least 75% of the time swapping stories and talking generally about the tournament, the teams, etc. Meanwhile, a basketball game was going on--one that was certainly not a foregone conclusion, not until deep into the fourth quarter. Much prefer Joe D'Ambrosio on IMG. Not a knock on the ESPN crew. I just wish they would focus on the game!

Reaction Score
I think you could ask Jordan just how many bumps and bruises she had from all the contact she took that was not called a foul. I thought it was pretty good officiating and at the just the right level of 'contact' even with Napheesa fouling out. Uconn needs a reluctant whistle in order to keep players out of foul trouble and that is what I thought we got.
If you say the officiating was consistent, I would agree. For the past few games, seemed every time an opposing player drove into the gut of the UConn defender, a foul was called. Poor defense? Poor officiating? We all have our thoughts.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
The player of the game was Gabby, PERIOD! Collier played very well, as well but Gabby set the tone and her all around game contributed the most to this victory.
She picked her spots but I really liked Saniya's game.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
the thing that struck me about this game was UCLA's length and quickness was enough to challenge our outlets and transition from d to o. Haven't seen anyone else do that and I thought it was pretty disruptive. That and the fact that KLS is just going to have get used to being banged around -- she took a shot to her nose late in the game and her reaction was a pretty emphatic "not again".

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom