UConn vs (s)Pitt starting up again? | The Boneyard

UConn vs (s)Pitt starting up again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have no problem with playing Pitt. Funny though how only the coaches would remember the wars.

The AAC is so new it seems like we are playing strangers. Hell I don't even know the coaches, school colors, arena names, school locations (i.e. cities), mascots, etc.. And don't ask me to name all of the teams.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Meh. UConn-Pitt was a great rivalry, but with the Big East being gone, Calhoun retired, and Pitt being three years removed from having a relevant team, I don't think the energy will be the same. I feel differently about Syracuse and Georgetown - those two are synonymous with the Big East and are still iconic programs.

Reaction Score
They do not deserve to play us. They are responsible (IMHO) for the break up of the BE and are scum. I don't even care about them enough anymore to hate them- they are dead to me. I'd rather play a team that matters nationally.

Reaction Score
I just looked at the replies to the tweet in my original post. Many Pitt fans would rather WVU than G-town and UConn. Of course they would...

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Pitt doesn't deserve to play UConn. They haven't earned it since bolting the old BE.
Right. Whens the last time pitt did anything in cbb? We've won 2 of the last 4 ships.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
You guys sound like a bunch of losers with this "they don't deserve to play us" garbage.

Yeah, playing our second best rival of the past decade, who is always ranked is beneath UConn somehow.

Bring on more matchups with no historical relevance, that'll show em!

Reaction Score
You guys sound like a bunch of losers with this "they don't deserve to play us" garbage.

Yeah, playing our second best rival of the past decade, who is always ranked is beneath UConn somehow.

I agree that we shouldn't act like playing Pitt is beneath us. But, Pitt hasn't been good since 2011, and they aren't interesting on a national level. I think their run is over. The game is meh. Better than a Washington or a Tennessee but not like Ohio State, Florida, Texas and the other games that have been talked about like GTown, Cuse and Nova.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I agree that we shouldn't act like playing Pitt is beneath us. But, Pitt hasn't been good since 2011, and they aren't interesting on a national level. I think their run is over. The game is meh. Better than a Washington or a Tennessee but not like Ohio State, Florida, Texas and the other games that have been talked about like GTown, Cuse and Nova.

I guess I don't understand how anyone who was a big east fan could choose Texas, Ohio state, Florida or anyone for that matter over these former rivals.

And please, Pitt hasn't been good in 3 seasons? What has Texas done, ever?

This all sounds exactly like how we complain BC won't play us " because they get nothing out of it".

It's all BS. College sports is about playing your rivals, beating them and talking smack. Sorry but Ohio state and the like don't do it for me.

Reaction Score
We had no historical rivalry with Pitt. We were rivals with them because we were the top dogs in the Big East for a period of time. That time is over, Pitt was one of the main culprits in blowing up the Big East (yes, I am bitter) and they aren't relevant nationally anymore. I would choose Ohio State and Florida over Pitt 10/10 times and Texas does suck in March but they are still more relevant than Pitt. I want UCONN to stay in the headlines and to play big games that everyone wants to watch. Texas offers more than Pitt IMO.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I guess I don't understand how anyone who was a big east fan could choose Texas, Ohio state, Florida or anyone for that matter over these former rivals.

And please, Pitt hasn't been good in 3 seasons? What has Texas done, ever?

This all sounds exactly like how we complain BC won't play us " because they get nothing out of it".

It's all BS. College sports is about playing your rivals, beating them and talking smack. Sorry but Ohio state and the like don't do it for me.
Hey!! Long live the Mihm (Kevin Durant was a Longhorn for about 4 months as well.)!!!

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Pitt isn't relevant nationally because of their style of game. They are bruisers, which was allowed in the Big East. Refs are more liberal with the whistle with that style come Tourney Time.

That's what was always so impressive about UConn and Calhoun in the 2000's. They could adapt on the fly to whatever game they had to play.

Reaction Score

Bite me (as far as the loser comment is concerned). I want nothing to do with that subversive backhanded and generally average program. You want old BE give me Quse, Lville, Gtown (Pe-Toowey!), Nova- there are plenty of choices that do not involve Pitt. You may forgive them enough to throw Pitt a bone- I am hoping we do not- calling Warde now.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
We had no historical rivalry with Pitt. We were rivals with them because we were the top dogs in the Big East for a period of time. That time is over, Pitt was one of the main culprits in blowing up the Big East (yes, I am bitter) and they aren't relevant nationally anymore. I would choose Ohio State and Florida over Pitt 10/10 times and Texas does suck in March but they are still more relevant than Pitt. I want UCONN to stay in the headlines and to play big games that everyone wants to watch. Texas offers more than Pitt IMO.

LOL, no historical rival with Pitt. Ya aside from 30 years going head to head and playing in a bunch of big east championships I guess you're right.

Bite me (as far as the loser comment is concerned). I want nothing to do with that subversive backhanded and generally average program. You want old BE give me Quse, Lville, Gtown (Pe-Toowey!), Nova- there are plenty of choices that do not involve Pitt. You may forgive them enough to throw Pitt a bone- I am hoping we do not- calling Warde now.

We're throwing Pitt a bone? Yeah, be a hardo, I'm sure it'll really hurt pitt to have to settle for UNC, Duke, Cuse, Ville, etc while we get stuck with our cesspool of a schedule.

You guys really are unbelievable.

Reaction Score
LOL, no historical rival with Pitt. Ya aside from 30 years going head to head and playing in a bunch of big east championships I guess you're right.

We're throwing Pitt a bone? Yeah, be a hardo, I'm sure it'll really hurt pitt to have to settle for UNC, Duke, Cuse, Ville, etc while we get stuck with our cesspool of a schedule.

You guys really are unbelievable.

Pitt didn't even really become relevant until 2002, the games in the years prior weren't really relevant because Pitt was irrelevant. I wouldn't mind playing them but there are at least a dozen programs that would be in the pecking order before them, Pitt has no juice from a national standpoint

Reaction Score
Pitt didn't even really become relevant until 2002, the games in the years prior weren't really relevant because Pitt was irrelevant. I wouldn't mind playing them but there are at least a dozen programs that would be in the pecking order before them, Pitt has no juice from a national standpoint
This. As much as I despise the Cuses and Georgetowns, I'd so much rather see UConn keep those series going.

Plus, even when Pitt was a top 5-10 program, I just never really enjoyed watching games against them. Their style of play is kinda garbage.

Reaction Score

To me its not about "juice", its about the history. If you don't think UConn-Pitt has a history, you drank way too much during the 2000's. There was a reason that the Kemba shot was such a big moment to me, Pitt always seemed tough and gritty, and we have a history of great showdowns in the rivalry.

I for one am very pleased, I'll be happy anytime we set up games against Pitt/Cuse/Gtown/Nova and even the teams that are not in our league at all like St Johns/Seton Hall/Notre Dame

Reaction Score
To me its not about "juice", its about the history. If you don't think UConn-Pitt has a history, you drank way too much during the 2000's. There was a reason that the Kemba shot was such a big moment to me, Pitt always seemed tough and gritty, and we have a history of great showdowns in the rivalry.

I for one am very pleased, I'll be happy anytime we set up games against Pitt/Cuse/Gtown/Nova and even the teams that are not in our league at all like St Johns/Seton Hall/Notre Dame

I drank a staggering amount in the 2000s, and I still think that UConn-Pitt is a worthwhile matchup. They were probably the second best team in the BE for most of our second decade of dominance.

Reaction Score
I don't know why people (ok, just one person so far) get so salty that different match ups excite different people. Give me the Arizona, Ohio State and Florida match ups. I totally understand if you want older rivalries but it just doesn't do as much for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom