UConn vs Gonzaga for a Final 4 Berth | Page 8 | The Boneyard

UConn vs Gonzaga for a Final 4 Berth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You do realize that Laettner had a pretty good NBA career, don’t you, including an all star game appearance?
Where did I say Laettner wasn’t a good player?? The comp is how easy it is to hate Timme, just like Laettner. Yet Timme will never see the NBA.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Blasphemy!!! You forgot the opponent in UConns first trip out of the elite eight to the final four??!?! I remember the chair I was sitting in for that game
I agree. I remember busting a toe when I kicked the coffee table following a particularly bad sequence in a game some time in the 90s. But I can't remember the opponent. Tough getting old and decrepit.

Right now I'm trying to devise a plan to be sure we're home from our 58th anniversary dinner tomorrow night, before 8:49.

Reaction Score
Where did I say Laettner wasn’t a good player?? The comp is how easy it is to hate Timme, just like Laettner. Yet Timme will never see the NBA.
Timme will play in the NBA. He's a good backup big who can screen and roll, pass and score. He lacks super quickness, so we'd have to see how he wold defend PnR, but Gonzaga has put guys in the NBA like Kelly Olynyk. Kids a good player.

Reaction Score
They held UCLA to a stretch of 11+ min with no field goals in the 2nd half...
They aren't a top level defensive team. Great offensively though. UConn should be favorite. But, they have to play well.

Gonzaga's scoring ability is no joke. Can UConn limit them offensively? We'll see. Not sure Gonzaga can stop UConn and they aren't a pressure team like Arkansas.

ConnZag3

NCAA Hoops Connoisseur
Reaction Score
Gonzaga will be in big trouble early if Hickman and Bolton both no show like last night. Hickman especially is wildly inconsistent and has struggled with confidence a lot this season. Few is a pretty big creature of habit so he won't start Smith tomorrow like he probably should but Smith could end up with 30+ minutes against a physical UConn perimeter.

I didn't see it mentioned yet but I wonder what insights Joey C has been able to share with the team from all his Gonzaga encounters before.

Reaction Score
That's why I wanted UCLA. I think UConn plays better on offense with less pressure knowing that their opponents can be stopped and not scoring at more than 1 PPP. Gonzaga is going to be a tough test for UConn's D. UConn might have to simply beat them in a shootout.
Time is not a back down guy. He will back into the defender, create contact and either release for fade away or go underneath and around. He is a wily 44 year old.

Reaction Score
Gonzaga just barely beat a UCLA team missing a stud in Jaylen Clark and their center Bona. It’s not a surprise that Timme went off for 35 against UCLA’s backup center who is just downright atrocious and averages 1 point per game.

They aren’t going to outrebound us by 20. They probably aren’t going to outrebound us at all. Gonzaga plays a 7 man rotation. Their center depth is non-existent. Their guards aren’t even close to Suggs level Gonzaga teams. They also don’t play any defense.
Id love to be as confident but i simply cant. Not because i think Gonzaga is so good its just i dont know which Uconn team is going to show up on a give night. Is it the team that looks like the best team in the country or will it be the putrid January Huskies?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Doomed-2.jpg

Reaction Score
Id love to be as confident but i simply cant. Not because i think Gonzaga is so good its just i dont know which Uconn team is going to show up on a give night. Is it the team that looks like the best team in the country or will it be the putrid January Huskies?
Corrections have been made in season, team is playing loose but off shooting nights can happen. Defensive intensity is an effort thing and I expect that plus our
defense triggers our offense.

Reaction Score
Well, that wasn’t very clear in your original post!

UKemba15

Some flies are too awesome for the wall.
Reaction Score
I agree. I remember busting a toe when I kicked the coffee table following a particularly bad sequence in a game some time in the 90s. But I can't remember the opponent. Tough getting old and decrepit.

Right now I'm trying to devise a plan to be sure we're home from our 58th anniversary dinner tomorrow night, before 8:49.
Happy anniversary, Rich!

Reaction Score
The Zags defense should give us plenty of opportunities to score, but my worry is whether we make open shots or not. We were so insanely hot the whole game against Arkansas that I'm worried we might come out flat against them. They have the best offense in the country that can run it up quickly on us if we start cold.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think Van Gundy mentioned this several times about Clingan. While he was in the paint and while he was getting back on defense

Should that be can’t be overstated?

Reaction Score
Look for Joey C to have a bigger impact in this game, whereas with Arkansas he looked a bit overmatched.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
I throw out every single thing that happened in the BE this year for UConn.

If I combine the OOC record of the last 2 times UConn made the E8 out of the BE (2011 & 2023), it's startling.

32-0 in OOC games.
22-16 in BE games.

This can't be a coincidence. I know there are 2 different coaches, but Hurley seems to have followed Calhoun's insistence that you don't play rockfight ball, that you have to learn how to defend honestly.

The records are startling if you're looking at the last 2x UConn had really good teams in the BE.
I didn't bother to scroll through to see if this was already posted - nerd

caw

Reaction Score
So Few compares UConn to Purdue and Bama from their OOC schedule. I think that's fair. They split those games.

Hurley compares Gonzaga to X, which also seems pretty fair if you include Freemantle.

Should be a fun game.

Reaction Score
If Gonzaga wants to outscore you to the point of forgoing defense?

Hell yes.

1999GoodSon

Lies, damn lies, and statistics.
Reaction Score
As good/great as we've been playing, we haven't played 40 minutes of great ball yet. There's still plenty of ceiling left. +Not having to look at Cronin's sulking ugly mug. I really like the good guys here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom