UConn vs. Georgetown post game - Senior Night | The Boneyard

UConn vs. Georgetown post game - Senior Night

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Senior night - so many mixed feelings - emotions high for the team. All 4 seniors "walking" after the game. My personal hope is that most of them come back. We will see. Such great memories for all of them. So many emotions. Hard to think about saying goodbye to any of them.

At halftime, Geno said that he was impressed with the defensive effort - he said a lot of their defense led to good offense and he felt the team played "really really well" in the first half. He also said Aaliyah was "magnificent". Ok then!

But he was right - the defense was really fun to watch. Georgetown had 13 turnovers in the first half and 10 of them were from steals. BTW, UConn TO's, which have been a thorn in our side at times - 3 at halftime. And in spite of the swarming defense, UConn was only called for 1 foul in that half. And if not for our swarming defense on the last play of the half, with 3 Huskies on the floor going after the ball, Georgetown likely would not have made their wide open 3 and would have scored ONLY single digits in each quarter.

The 3rd quarter - yuck. At one point Georgetown went on a 9-0 run. AND the refs started calling everything. There was a lid on the basket for Paige - and just some sloppy play. for about 8 straight minutes. Righted the ship in Q4 and were "up" 15-6 till about 5 minutes left and the reserves started coming in. Really solid finish as we outscored them 10-3 down the stretch.
  • Aaliyah so efficient and BATTLES in the post. Announcers said she's only missed 1 game in her entire career. Yet another double double for her. 26 and 16. My POG
  • Paige - had a lid on the basket for most of the 2nd half until a pair of 3-pointers late. LOVED seeing her take 19 shots. She passed up numerous others that she should have taken. But 21 points and 8 assists - can't fault that at all!
  • Really impressed with Ice tonight. When her mid range shot is "on", she's even more effective when on the floor with Liya.
  • Ash and KK - a bit inconsistent tonight - So glad Ash was OK after her ankle injury. But thrilled she only took 1 3-pointer. Her shot has been way off so good to see her scoring in other ways.
  • Average game for Nika. A couple bad passes right at the feet of her teammates and one play got her yanked and an earful from CD.
  • Q must have been in the doghouse as Ines came in before she did in Q4. But great seeing her nail that 3. Love the puffballs back. Easy to spot her. But she needs to be able to make layups.
  • That punch in the face that Amari took - totally uncalled for by Georgetown. The announcers made excuses for it, but Georgetown is known for their overly physical play and I hated that. Amari elbowed the other player when she couldn't see her and the other player retaliated, and so that makes it OK? Nice steal by Amari at the end.
AS usual for any UConn game, Georgetown, who shoots in the 20's from 3, shot like 40% for the game. It's the only reason the game was not more of a blowout. Aside from that stretch in Q3, about a 32 minute really good performance for the team. Lots of good defense, communicating, etc. Kind of surprised Q4 was as good as it was. Great overall game. BTW 15 bench points. Nothing to sneeze at! Oh and we out-rebounded them 45-28 with 16 O-boards. WOW!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
A couple thoughts on tonight’s game:
  • There’s always a lot of emotion on Senior Night, and that is particularly true tonight as four beloved UConn WBB players are honored. But there is also some mystery this senior night as all four honorees could be back next season. As Paige wryly suggested yesterday, “We’ll have to see….”:cool:
  • Historically, after a pregame ceremony honoring them, the seniors don’t always play that well on Senior Day, particularly starting the game. With no pregame ceremony tonight, it was a much different story. Nika hit 600 career assists, Aaliyah became the all-time leading CANADIAN scorer in UConn’s history and Paige did a little bit of everything. Going forward, maybe the ceremony should continue to be postgame? :rolleyes:
  • UConn put the game out of reach again in the first qtr, outscoring Georgetown 27-9 with a combination of ferocious defensive pressure and wonderful offensive execution.
  • Everyone who’s ever played basketball has turned an ankle, just like Ashlynn did tonight. She’s a tough young lady. Spit on it, tape it up and get her back in the game. :)
  • ICE IS FINALLY LIVING UP TO HER NICKNAME OVER THE PAST TWO GAMES!!! She’s playing smarter, running the court better, playing more aggressive defense, chasing down rebounds, shooting with confidence and finishing much stronger at the basket, shooting a ridiculous 10 FOR 10 from the floor. :eek: Ice will be a huge factor in the postseason for the Huskies.
  • Aaliyah is having a string of monster games, one after another. She absolutely gets my vote as a 1st team AA!!!
  • Looking forward to the MLK day matchup with Creighton on Monday at XL. Mrs. Oldude and I will be there!!!

Reaction Score
A couple thoughts on tonight’s game:
  • There’s always a lot of emotion on Senior Night, and that is particularly true tonight as four beloved UConn WBB players are honored. But there is also some mystery this senior night as all four honorees could be back next season. As Paige wryly suggested yesterday, “We’ll have to see….”:cool:
  • Historically, after a pregame ceremony honoring them, the seniors don’t always play that well on Senior Day, particularly starting the game. With no pregame ceremony tonight, it was a much different story. Nika hit 600 career assists, Aaliyah became the all-time leading CANADIAN scorer in UConn’s history and Paige did a little bit of everything. Going forward, maybe the ceremony should continue to be postgame? :rolleyes:
  • UConn put the game out of reach again in the first qtr, outscoring Georgetown 27-9 with a combination of ferocious defensive pressure and wonderful offensive execution.
  • Everyone who’s ever played basketball has turned an ankle, just like Ashlynn did tonight. She’s a tough young lady. Spit on it, tape it up and get her back in the game. :)
  • ICE IS FINALLY LIVING UP TO HER NICKNAME OVER THE PAST TWO GAMES!!! She’s playing smarter, running the court better, playing more aggressive defense, chasing down rebounds, shooting with confidence and finishing much stronger at the basket, shooting a ridiculous 10 FOR 10 from the floor. :eek: Ice will be a huge factor in the postseason for the Huskies.
  • Aaliyah is having a string of monster games, one after another. She absolutely gets my vote as a 1st team AA!!!
  • Looking forward to the MLK day matchup with Creighton on Monday at XL. Mrs. Oldude and I will be there!!!
I asked my wife how she would feel if I introduced her as Mrs. Oldude. She replied...how do you feel about sleeping on the couch for a MONTH? :oops:

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Enjoyable game.

Aaliyah with another double/ double.
Paige with another 20+ game.
Nika taking sole posession of 5th place on the all time career assists list with 604. Amazing!!
Ice with another very good game. She is learning to use her body to move people under the basket.

And of course - Paige and Aubrey coming back for one more year.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
The big story of the game is Ice hitting those shots and being poised for the entire time she was on the court.

A very special game for her...If that growth is consistent (perhaps too much to ask for) UConn has another, much needed additional weapon

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Geno just said he found out on Paige when we did and he never asked her too.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
6539A3BA-CAA0-4C60-8065-2B9E7961C442.jpeg

Reaction Score
I'm not buying that he didn't know. lol I was born at night, but not last night.
Neither do I. Though he could also believe she can change her mind before she announced which is why he presents that he didn't know. - But no way she wouldn't have mentioned in some manner. -

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom