UConn vs. Georgetown post game - Senior Night | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn vs. Georgetown post game - Senior Night

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I was at the game and stayed for the ceremonies and player speeches. Glad I did, that was an electric moment. Student section especially, they love Paige and Paige loves them. Good crowd, close to full, and large majority stayed for the ceremonies.

At the beginning of the game, they played three National Anthems - Croatia, Canada, and United States. just as they did for Dorka, twice, and for Lou. I always find that very moving.

I thought the defensive intensity in the first quarter was better than at any point since the Providence game, where it was tremendous. At times a real passing clinic as well, this is a very unselfish team.

Brady looks like a different player these last two games, hopefully a switch has been flipped. Some agile moves inside and her shot looks much better out of her hand, softer and more arc.

Aaliyah is just too quick and skilled for anyone in the Big East. It looked like Georgetown was trying to play her straight up and that just doesn`t work.

Anxious few moments when Shade went down. That looked really bad until she got up and walked off pretty well. Huge relief to see her back in the game.

All in all, a fun and memorable night.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I asked my wife how she would feel if I introduced her as Mrs. Oldude. She replied...how do you feel about sleeping on the couch for a MONTH? :oops:
Did you ask her how she would feel about "Mrs. LwrcasefaN"?

Reaction Score
In the press conference Geno said "I think Nika is looking forward to the next step in her career".

Reaction Score
Yes, there was a Big East game played last night, but the post ceremony carried the suspense. While I am selfishly happy that Paige and Aubrey are returning next season, I believe it is in Paige's best long-term interests.

Since the ND game, Paige's shot, particularly from 3-pt land has been off a smidgen. I know it is an unfair expectation, but every time she shoots, I expect the ball to swoosh. She is such an efficient shooter, I realize that she is not back to 100%, but next season she will.

She rehabbed, but she had a long time off from competitive basketball. It takes a long time to physically heal, gain back timing and build overall stamina. Look at her numbers and she has exceeded expectations in her return. However, her skill level is so high that she makes things look too easy at times. As we all know, that is not the case. Even when her shot is not dropping, her presence on the court finds a way to impact. I do feel overall body fatigue is catching up with her. Shots she makes in her sleep are just a fraction off. but she is still the first player I'd take if given an option.

If she opted to enter the draft, she wouldn't be able to rest and rebuild her body in the offseason. If she does, which I expect she will, the version of Paige next season will be off the charts. She will be stronger, and every aspect of her game will improve. Whether Caitlin comes back or not, Paige will be right there as the face or one of the faces of women's college basketball.

In listening to Geno's presser, he gave an old school reply regarding the returning of the seniors. In Paige and Aubrey's cases, he highlighted that they haven't played a full 4 years, so it makes sense for them to come back. While I'm sure he'd welcome both Aaliyah and Nika back with open arms, I feel he is ready with them moving on. Before that happens, as Aaliyah stated, "UConn is not done yet."

Reaction Score
Ice playing well does two important things for the team. The first is she gives them more size in the post which allows AE a little more freedom of movement in there. Second and more importantly to the long term success of the team, it allows Paige to defend a player that is close to her same size which will reduce the amount of energy she has to use on defense. I think if Ice moves into a more prominent role you will see Paige start to shoot at her regular high level of efficiency down the stretch.

Reaction Score
And for all the BYers that complain about the Fox Sports App's coverage of the SNY games, I for one really, really appreciated that they streamed the complete post game Senior Night coverage.
I applaud them.
That was a very pleasant surprise. I was 99% sure coverage would end with the game.

I'm with those that think AE and Nika will start their pro careers next year. I hate to see it but they gave us all we could hope for in their time at UConn and it's time to leave the nest. We'll have plenty of guard talent to offset the loss of Nika. Replacing the numbers AE contributes will be a challenge so it's good to see Ice making real improvement of late.

Paige has personal unfinished business to attend to next year; I hope to heaven she stays healthy and can be at a NPOY level again.

Then there is Aubrey. If there is anyone who deserves a healthy and solid year it is that kid. Assuming everything breaks right she can be a huge factor next year. Wouldn't that be great? Yeah.

Reaction Score
Very impressed with the way Nika spoke, in front of a large crowd, and with emotions enveloping her.

I am old enough to be her dad and I don’t think I could have been as eloquent as her. Pretty sure English is not her mother tongue.
When you are born and raised in Croatia, English will not be native tongue. You guessed right.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
That was a very pleasant surprise. I was 99% sure coverage would end with the game.

Then there is Aubrey. If there is anyone who deserves a healthy and solid year it is that kid. Assuming everything breaks right she can be a huge factor next year. Wouldn't that be great? Yeah.
But won't Aubrey miss the first half of the season due to this injury? If I recall she went down the first week in January.
Regardless, her recovery is going to be discussed many, many times between now and when she actually returns.

Reaction Score
But won't Aubrey miss the first half of the season due to this injury? If I recall she went down the first week in January.
Regardless, her recovery is going to be discussed many, many times between now and when she actually returns.
If we get Aubrey back and healthy for January - March, it will be wonderful. Have her come off the bench and roil the waters. Rebound, defend, fast break, ....it will be enough. Have her for the Big Dance.

Reaction Score
Depends on her recovery. I don't think there's a rule that says it has to take a full year before she can play again. Everyone is different, and there's a chance she might only miss a little of the beginning of next season when the games are more spread out.

Reaction Score
Certain UCONN recruits should be thrilled that get a chance to play with " the great one "

Reaction Score
You're the sharper knife in this case. Now that you mention it I do seem to recall that her return would be after the season starts. So we'll hope for her to have a terrific some undetermined part of the season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom