Uconn vs. BC... next year??? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Uconn vs. BC... next year???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I took flack over the summer for stating that I'd take some 2-for-1 deals with some TOP echelon P5 teams. BC is nowhere near that level where I'd give up all of our self respect for a one off game in Chestnut Hill. It's not worth it. And, them.
I rarely agree with you - but I am with you on this one. BC is not big time and so, we shouldn't give them the one and done visit like you would accept from a top program.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Gillette Stadium's capacity is 68K. I seriously think a UConn-BC game could sell that out considering how large the fan bases are in the region.

If that happens, watch how fast these schools get a home-and-home on the books.

If neither UConn (<40,000), nor BC (~44,500), can sell out their own stadiums, I don't foresee Gillette making all 68,756 seats available for a neutral site game. I posted about it yesterday.

Reaction Score
I rarely agree with you - but I am with you on this one. BC is not big time and so, we shouldn't give them the one and done visit like you would accept from a top program.
I agree we shouldn't give in and do that. But I don't think, if BC's scheduling situation is as it's been portrayed, they'd reject all proposals, including a single neutral game. But I agree, if BC is so stingy as they won't even agree to scheduling one neutral game with us, walk away. Our schedule is beefed up enough that we don't NEED the game to add a strong opponent. They do.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I agree we shouldn't give in and do that. But I don't think, if BC's scheduling situation is as it's been portrayed, they'd reject all proposals, including a single neutral game. But I agree, if BC is so stingy as they won't even agree to scheduling one neutral game with us, walk away. Our schedule is beefed up enough that we don't NEED the game to add a strong opponent. They do.
Right and in some way if that is how it plays out (they only will accept a BC home game) - then it goes to show BC's view of UConn hasn't really changed. They want everything on their terms and that's it.

Reaction Score
Right and in some way if that is how it plays out (they only will accept a BC home game) - then it goes to show BC's view of UConn hasn't really changed. They want everything on their terms and that's it.
The thing is, I don't suspect that would be the case. My gut is if they're intent on playing us in Chestnut Hill next year, Warde would be able to get a game in East Hartford down the line. If not, he can walk away with UVA, Illinois, Indiana, Missouri, and Syracuse all scheduled to play on our field before the end of the decade. Currently, BC has one game with Notre Dame and that's it. But they do have a combined five home games against Holy Cross, Buffalo, and Richmond.

Reaction Score
There are no perfect arguments here. Personally, I want two bites at the BC apple and I think we have the leverage in this situation to make it happen. I feel like a one and done game just works too well for BC. They should be subject to the indignity of playing UConn at the Rent! Or meeting us for one game at a neutral site.

Otherwise, yes - I would rather keep the schedule we have and play UMass. BC is not Notre Dame, not Penn State or Michigan either.

So yes, bottomline, I'll take the UMass game vs a single chestnut hill visit.

UMass is not Notre Dame, Penn State, or Michigan either. We don't have any leverage to dictate terms. UConnFB is still poorly ranked in FBS standings. So we'd rather beat a team a few years removed from FCS, as opposed to a P-5 team?

Really? Does anyone think UMass/UConn has a remote chance of exciting casual FB fans......even in New England?

A win over UMass does not improve UConn's resume. There is still a chance UConn can loose to UMass.

I say beat BC and let them come crawling to us for future contests. Then we have some leverage.

Reaction Score
Gillette Stadium's capacity is 68K. I seriously think a UConn-BC game could sell that out considering how large the fan bases are in the region.

If that happens, watch how fast these schools get a home-and-home on the books.

You really think our traveling fan base is 67,000 strong?

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I wouldn't sign up for a 1 and done at their place either. There is no question that I would go to the game at Chestnut Hill (I'm guessing we would bring 5-8K), but if I'm Warde, I do not accept a 1 off game at BC. For an upper tier FBS program (Notre Dame, LSU, Ohio St, Michigan, Bama, etc) I would sign up for 1 road game. Not BC. They're struggling to sell tickets and they are a winning program in a P5 conference. More than likely, we bring a sellout - something FSU or USC couldn't even do. I'm not signing up for anything that means giving our $$ to BC without something in return. I don't need a game at the Rent, but I do need at least a 50/50 gate split game at Fenway or Gillette. If they can't compromise to those (more than) reasonable terms, then let them go re-schedule Howard or Vermont.

Reaction Score
UMass is not Notre Dame, Penn State, or Michigan either. We don't have any leverage to dictate terms. UConnFB is still poorly ranked in FBS standings. So we'd rather beat a team a few years removed from FCS, as opposed to a P-5 team?

Really? Does anyone think UMass/UConn has a remote chance of exciting casual FB fans.even in New England?

A win over UMass does not improve UConn's resume. There is still a chance UConn can loose to UMass.

I say beat BC and let them come crawling to us for future contests. Then we have some leverage.
We do have leverage though, because BC needs to increase the difficulty of their schedule next season and in the near future, we don't. We agree to help them with that next season and in return they come play us. They say no, we say OK sounds good and stand pat where we are. I don't suspect it'll get that far. The quote from the article says they need us to play there next year and that Brad Bates likes the idea of the three regional teams playing each other regularly, meaning this isn't a one game and peace out kind of discussion.

Dooley

Reaction Score
You really think our traveling fan base is 67,000 strong?

We wouldn't have to be. All we have to be is at least 33,500 strong. We get those crowds at the Rent for games against meh opponents. If we can't bring something close to 30K to Gillette for a game that every single UConn fan has salivated over for a decade, then we deserve our AAC sentence.

Perfect Hair

I saw Diaco drinking a Pina Colada at Trader Vics
Reaction Score
This is so maniacally stupid, I can't even figure out how to respond to it. You want us to get out of the AAC, and the way to do that is to piss off a P5 school and "partner" with another who's on the verge of demoting their program back to FCS?

It's so maniacally stupid you can't figure it out evidently.

1. You have never heard me utter one word about getting out of the AAC. Because that's a pipe dream for now and a waste of time to worry about.
2. You're obviously also too dumb to know that BC is already pissed at us, they've been pissed at us, and that is not going to change. If you don't know why they are then do some homework.
3. UMass is not demoting their program back to anything, you sound like a moron by spewing that. Face facts, they more than likely will be a fellow AAC member in the next couple of years. I'd say the liklihood of that is probably about 50 times greater than the B1G or Big 12 "rescuing" us from the AAC.

Reaction Score
Also, keep in mind that it maybe hard to swallow; but, helping BC a bit can only help UConn should the ACC look to expand, say ND is added as a full-time member and thus they need a #16. Prefer the B1G; but, the ACC is a heck of a lot better than where UConn is today.

Reaction Score
I don't care about politics or "saving BC's schedule" I just know they're a P5 team we have a history with and would be an entertaining watch no matter where or how many times we play them. I'm down.

Reaction Score
We wouldn't have to be. All we have to be is at least 33,500 strong. We get those crowds at the Rent for games against meh opponents. If we can't bring something close to 30K to Gillette for a game that every single UConn fan has salivated over for a decade, then we deserve our AAC sentence.

I was joking - implying that BC has a traveling fan base of 1,000, so we'd need to bring 67,000 in order to fill Gillette at 68,000.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Also, keep in mind that it maybe hard to swallow; but, helping BC a bit can only help UConn should the ACC look to expand, say ND is added as a full-time member and thus they need a #16.

^ This would be the absolute only reason UConn would accept a 1 off game at their place. If it helps us get out of the AAC, then do it.

My terms:
- we play 1 road game at BC in exchange for their vote (and end to their tireless kack blocking) in ACC expansion;
- we play at their place next year in exchange for a 50/50 neutral game at Gillette/Fenway;
- we play at their place next year in exchange for a game at the Rent

Any of those would be agreeable to me.

Reaction Score
I'd play them next year, even in a one off game, if it meant having a chance to run those pompous overrated dbags off their own field on national television.

Of course I'd prefer a home and home so we can do it again in East Hartford the next year but I'm not passing on an opportunity to beat BC in any sport if I am the AD.

Perfect Hair

I saw Diaco drinking a Pina Colada at Trader Vics
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Even the BC Interruption writer of this article, who is far more connected to those in the know at BC than certainly anyone here and most up there too, implies in the comments that he presumes there'd be a return game in CT down the line.

Reaction Score
So... if (big if) it gets done -- UConn's 2016 OOC looks like Maine @ home, @ BC, UVA @ home, Cuse @ home.

Then UCF, Cincinnati, Temple, Tulane @ home and East Carolina, Houston, Navy and USF on the road.

Hmmm...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog