Uconn vs. BC... next year??? | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Uconn vs. BC... next year???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
If the game happens, I wonder if the ACC considers us a P5 game?

Ironically, BC needs UConn right now more than UConn needs BC. I' like to think it'd be a term in the contract.

Warde: "Before we go any further, Braddy Boy, Give a call to Mr. Sworford. I'm not saying to give him an overt threat. A gently reminder of what the Big Ten thinks of us should suffice. Call me in the morning."

Reaction Score
The fact that there's dialogue is a good thing. Do the thing that helps us most get out of this hellhole. Everything UConn does should be with that in mind, even if it involves kissing BCs ass and a one sided deal. Don't know if that's the case in this situation... But IF their support would help down the road with the ACC... Survival will always justify the means.
That said I'd enjoy the game/s wherever they may be.
From what I've seen, even against the likes of the best of the ACC (FSU/Clemson), correct me but Alumni Stadium, is not selling out.
I would tend to think it wouldn't hurt if we brought 15 to 20K fans and sold out Alumni...the ACC and B1G , I would think, MIGHT take notice. Just a thought knowing that most on this board eventually wants to be relocated and anything positive circulating amongst the decision makers in CR would be a good thing..

Reaction Score
Ironically, BC needs UConn right now more than UConn needs BC. I' like to think it'd be a term in the contract.

Warde: "Before we go any further, Braddy Boy, Give a call to Mr. Sworford. I'm not saying to give him an overt threat. A gently reminder of what the Big Ten thinks of us should suffice. Call me in the morning."
I liked your thought....but we really need each other and it is times like these that see shrinking attendance and needs by both schools to assist each other, regardless of each school's need or agenda would not hurt. Would like to see a home and home......

Reaction Score
From what I've seen, even against the likes of the best of the ACC (FSU/Clemson), correct me but Alumni Stadium, is not selling out.
I would tend to think it wouldn't hurt if we brought 15 to 20K fans and sold out Alumni...the ACC and B1G , I would think, MIGHT take notice. Just a thought knowing that most on this board eventually wants to be relocated and anything positive circulating amongst the decision makers in CR would be a good thing..

It was 10 years ago and I was about 12 beers deep, but I seem to remember the last UConn-BC meeting in Chestnut Hill was a sellout with a sizable UConn contingent in the house.

I am searching for the box score to find the attendance but I can't find it right now.

Reaction Score
Common rivalry distances:

Oregon-Oregon State: 50 miles
Pitt-WVU: 76 miles
UConn-BC: 79 miles
Clemson-USC: 114 miles
UVa-Virginia Tech: 149 miles
Ohio State-Michigan: 210 miles
Texas-Oklahoma: 371 miles

This works.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
To me its simple, Dear BC, thank you for reaching out. Yes, UConn would be delighted to restart what should be a popular rivalry with your school. Our only request is that we make this a series with at least an even number of visits to each home stadium. We would also be open to playing at neutral sites with a 50/50 gate share. Hope to hear back, looking forward to the potential this series would ahve for all partie

I remember it. It was on in the background at a raging rooftop party I attended in NYC. Those were the days.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
It was 10 years ago and I was about 12 beers deep, but I seem to remember the last UConn-BC meeting in Chestnut Hill was a sellout with a sizable UConn contingent in the house.

I am searching for the box score to find the attendance but I can't find it right now.
Took a bus from Manchester Community Parking Lot?? up to Chesnut for that game.
Believe there was backup on the way up due to accident or something...after that its a bit foggy.

Reaction Score
Bonehead said:
Took a bus from Manchester Community Parking Lot?? up to Chesnut for that game.
Believe there was backup on the way up due to accident or something...after that its a bit foggy.

There was a very large uconn contingent. Our usual tailgate crew of 5 increased to 40.

Reaction Score
I might have been more fired up for that 2004 game than any UConn game to date. We had just come off a very strong 2003 season, Orlovsky was a senior, Brockington was back and we opened with wins over Bob Burton's alma mater and Duke.

Then we fumbled the opening kick, fell behind and never came back.

In the era of national conference realignment, this game makes far too much sense, logistically and economically. There's bad blood, at least on our side, and it's a drivable game for not only fans but also the players and coaches (no flights).

Let's make this happen. It'll be like a 7th game on our home schedule.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Salzano is good people.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I might have been more fired up for that 2004 game than any UConn game to date. We had just come off a very strong 2003 season, Orlovsky was a senior, Brockington was back and we opened with wins over Bob Burton's alma mater and Duke.

Then we fumbled the opening kick, fell behind and never came back.

In the era of national conference realignment, this game makes far too much sense, logistically and economically. There's bad blood, at least on our side, and it's a drivable game for not only fans but also the players and coaches (no flights).

Let's make this happen. It'll be like a 7th game on our home schedule.

Opening kickoff fumbles and missing chip shot FGs spell doom. BC had a pretty good team in 2004 too. I was up in the second deck behind the end zone and there were quite a few UConn fans.

pj

Reaction Score
If neither UConn (<40,000), nor BC (~44,500), can sell out their own stadiums, I don't foresee Gillette making all 68,756 seats available for a neutral site game. I posted about it yesterday.

Gillette makes the stadium available for UMass, why not UConn-BC?

You really think our traveling fan base is 67,000 strong?

Heh. C'mon, divide the stadium in half, UConn only has to sell out 34,378. BC would sell at least 2,000.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Gillette makes the stadium available for UMass, why not UConn-BC?

Those grey areas are not general admission. Gillette makes about a 1/4 of the seats available to UMass for a typical game and UMass-BC drew only 30,500 last year. Gillette seats almost 69,000.

th

Reaction Score
Those grey areas are not general admission. Gillette makes about a 1/4 of the seats available to UMass for a typical game and UMass-BC drew only 30,500 last year. Gillette seats almost 69,000.
The BC-UMass crowd total was more a product of UMass football not being popular, the game being a rather blah matchup, and increased apathy towards the BC program at the time. I don't know that BC-UConn would sell 68K to Gillette, but 45-50 would be very achievable I think. The other problem is Gillette is VERY annoying to get to for everyone involved. It was built in a terrible location.

Reaction Score
There was a very large uconn contingent. Our usual tailgate crew of 5 increased to 40.

I was there. Bunch of friends went with me, some UConn, some BC, some other schools. Had dinner at Coolidge Corner Pub and then hit several bars along Beacon St on the way up. It was a long walk from Cleveland Circle around the reservoir to Alumni after a dozen or so drinks. Fun nevertheless.

Reaction Score

th

And yet the powers that be complain that only a few thousand UConn fans made it to the Fiesta bow in Arizona...

Reaction Score
I was there. Bunch of friends went with me, some UConn, some BC, some other schools. Had dinner at Coolidge Corner Pub and then hit several bars along Beacon St on the way up. It was a long walk from Cleveland Circle around the reservoir to Alumni after a dozen or so drinks. Fun nevertheless.
It was a great UConn crowd there, at the very infancy of the program. I remember walking out of there talking with my dad, both agreeing that while we had some really good players on the squad, the program itself just wasn't ready to succeed in that national spotlight yet. That was our first real, I would suspect a game next fall with the hopeful continued growth of the squad this year, the built up angst of our fan base directed towards BC, and the rekindling of a Big East rivalry would make for an even better crowd. That plus BC tickets are ridiculously easy to come by at excellent prices. It could be sold out and you'd be able to scalp a ticket outside for <$20.

Reaction Score
To be fair, this was the gametime BC-UMass crowd. And this was with HEAVY promotion in the greater Boston area. There were signs on every MBTA bus, signs on garbage cans around downtown, billboards on the highway, on TV, etc. They promoted the living hell out of that game here and got 30,000.
15741570-mmmain.jpg

Reaction Score
To be fair, this was the gametime BC-UMass crowd. And this was with HEAVY promotion in the greater Boston area. There were signs on every MBTA bus, signs on garbage cans around downtown, billboards on the highway, on TV, etc. They promoted the living hell out of that game here and got 30,000.
To be fair, the overwhelming majority of unoccupied blue and red spaces equaled empty bcu-umess game time seats. For the 2 schools' administrations and athletic departments alike, the low, in-state attendance must have been extremely disappointing to devastating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom