UConn vs. Arizona Sell Out? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn vs. Arizona Sell Out?

Reaction Score
I always find humor at the fact the keyboard warriors on the board that live out of state like to call out the fanbase.

I don't know about the others, but this warrior drove from way out of state when the team was awful, so let me give some perspective. And I'm not looking for a medal or a chest to pin it on.

We had seen a glimpse of what could be when Shabel was coach and naively use to think "why can't we win like the national powers?" I remember some of us thinking we had a chance at Lew Alcindor when he was coming out of high school (I'll leave time here for those who'll have to look up who he was/is). Once we again lived a relatively short distance away (Binghamton, Lewiston and Albany), we started buying season tickets and may have bailed on one bad weather night in 35 years (last 20 in Western Mass were a breeze).

Gave weekday tickets to my parents in Cromwell when we lived 5 hours away, but made all the others, including the infamous Wednesday night games at the Big East. Always a loss it seemed, even when we won it once or twice, but we'd stay for the whole weekend and try to imagine what it would feel like to be Georgetown, Syracuse and St. John's fans (even Villanova now and then because we lost something like 20 in a row to them).

Things were so bad that there was a UConn reception hosted by Dee Rowe the morning after the Wednesday Big East game sometime about 1985 that was attended by 7 people, and my wife and I were two of them. So many depressing losses, but one turned into a healthy one. We had a one point lead on Villanova in Hartford and were about to break the 15 or 20 game losing streak and lost on a last second full court drive for a layup. Had a beer or two at Gaetano's and smoked about a half pack of cigarettes there and on the two hour drive home and felt so bad the next morning I told friends I was quitting till UConn won the NC. Their response was, "so you're quitting for life?" I did quit, but did have one in 1999...and only one.

And then the good times started with the NIT in 1988. All those in the season tickets around us felt what we did. "Somethin' happenin' here":

So, maybe the answer is we "keyboard warriors" have some perspective because we believed someday things would be better and attended all those games when we had no chance, just hope, like football today.

We knew winning wasn't automatic and weren't spoiled from day one as many on this site probably were if they came on the scene from the early 90's till today. You had to be at the NIT in 1988 to feel how much excitement there was and see the joy in the players' big smiles when we finally won a championship.

Moved a 1,000 miles away in 2011 but still go to games at ECU, USF and UCF and made it to the first two men's games and the women's opener this year too because games in person are a lot better and much less aggravating when things aren't going well.

Reaction Score
Classic Genius Chief. This could mean he's watching at his house or at the xl center. Legend

You need to cut Chief some slack. I finally met him outside Gampel the opening weekend and, while he was very busy, I was able to get his card.

"THE CHIEF", Event Entry Procurement.

Now you know why he's always around the team................

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
If we can get the Arizona bigs in foul trouble early they are done. They have a short bench, if they have to match up small against us we can run them out of Hartford. Unfortunately, we are not good at drawing fouls. I’m still on a Uconn cover. Good guys win this by 10.

Reaction Score
If we can get the Arizona bigs in foul trouble early they are done. They have a short bench, if they have to match up small against us we can run them out of Hartford. Unfortunately, we are not good at drawing fouls. I’m still on a Uconn cover. Good guys win this by 10.

I don't know the team well, but some things I noticed from peaking at the stats....

1) By the stats, they are about as deep as we are. They basically have an 8-man rotation. We play 9. If we add Sid for some minutes, maybe we have an extra guy.

2) Their guards do not rebound well. I think we should expect Vital to feast. Their bigs are good rebounders, but our rebounding is more well-rounded. If Carlton, Cobb and Co. can just box out, I think it will allow the guards to clean up.

3) We have 4 decent 3 point shooters. They have 3. Will Sid make it 5? I think they're averaging about 20 taken three per game, making a little under 6. Gonna be important for us to close out better than we have been. If Sid can shoot, and we have 5 decent shooters on the team, I think we have a chance of cracking the top-25 this season.

4) Their guards do not turn the ball over much or pass it that well. We're going to need to get them on their heels with our pressure and force them to make plays. No easy drives, or easy perimeter passing.

5) They only have TWO players averaging more than one assist per game. If i'm Hurley and the staff, that's the key to the game right there. Get the ball to ANY ONE but those two and turn up the pressure, especially when one of them has to leave the game. Guarantee we can get turnovers if we put pressure on their non-passers. We don't have many double-teams in the defense yet, but if we're going to add it, this is the day. Their bigs don't pass at all. They're like Brimah. Get the ball to chase Jeter, and double down with the guards. Easy money.

6) Very good team from the line. Don't foul them.

I like this matchup a lot for us. None of their bigs are over 230lbs. We have by far the better back court (like we will 95% of the time), just a matter of can our bigs hold their own? Like every other night.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
The game will have 15k if not a total sell out by Sunday. That's more then 90% of teams can say for a game between two unranked teams.
I don't know about the others, but this warrior drove from way out of state when the team was awful, so let me give some perspective. And I'm not looking for a medal or a chest to pin it on.

We had seen a glimpse of what could be when Shabel was coach and naively use to think "why can't we win like the national powers?" I remember some of us thinking we had a chance at Lew Alcindor when he was coming out of high school (I'll leave time here for those who'll have to look up who he was/is). Once we again lived a relatively short distance away (Binghamton, Lewiston and Albany), we started buying season tickets and may have bailed on one bad weather night in 35 years (last 20 in Western Mass were a breeze).

Gave weekday tickets to my parents in Cromwell when we lived 5 hours away, but made all the others, including the infamous Wednesday night games at the Big East. Always a loss it seemed, even when we won it once or twice, but we'd stay for the whole weekend and try to imagine what it would feel like to be Georgetown, Syracuse and St. John's fans (even Villanova now and then because we lost something like 20 in a row to them).

Things were so bad that there was a UConn reception hosted by Dee Rowe the morning after the Wednesday Big East game sometime about 1985 that was attended by 7 people, and my wife and I were two of them. So many depressing losses, but one turned into a healthy one. We had a one point lead on Villanova in Hartford and were about to break the 15 or 20 game losing streak and lost on a last second full court drive for a layup. Had a beer or two at Gaetano's and smoked about a half pack of cigarettes there and on the two hour drive home and felt so bad the next morning I told friends I was quitting till UConn won the NC. Their response was, "so you're quitting for life?" I did quit, but did have one in 1999...and only one.

And then the good times started with the NIT in 1988. All those in the season tickets around us felt what we did. "Somethin' happenin' here":

So, maybe the answer is we "keyboard warriors" have some perspective because we believed someday things would be better and attended all those games when we had no chance, just hope, like football today.

We knew winning wasn't automatic and weren't spoiled from day one as many on this site probably were if they came on the scene from the early 90's till today. You had to be at the NIT in 1988 to feel how much excitement there was and see the joy in the players' big smiles when we finally won a championship.

Moved a 1,000 miles away in 2011 but still go to games at ECU, USF and UCF and made it to the first two men's games and the women's opener this year too because games in person are a lot better and much less aggravating when things aren't going well.

Give this man a medal.

Reaction Score
Once you get under the upper level overhang at the XL, it's like you're in a different dimension. Regarding crowd noise, it's almost like you're hearing it as if you were holding up a conch shell to your ear....could be just me. I also prefer to sit as close as I can

Reaction Score
saying this now: if you stay home from the arizona game to watch the 3-8 new york football giants, you are a #casualfan
My Ravens have a huge game on Sunday for our playoff hopes. Much more important than any Giants or Jets game, and I'm missing it to cheer on the boys at XL. There's no reason to miss this game if you can be there

Reaction Score
saying this now: if you stay home from the arizona game to watch the 3-8 new york football giants, you are a #casualfan
I'm going and i have the PSvue app on my phone so I can peak at the giants game during breaks if want. But I will probably just catch the 4th quarter at a local pub post game. Gotta have a plan.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
The game will have 15k if not a total sell out by Sunday. That's more then 90% of teams can say for a game between two unranked teams.
Move all games to Gampel! Oh wait we had 5500 there for Lowell

Reaction Score
I’m not sure if this is the right thread for this, but how horrible is the new Moe’s burrito wrap contest they do during breaks?

If we’re losing, and I have to watch two kids roll into each other while “thank u next” is playing on Sunday, I may lose my mind.

Reaction Score
I’m not sure if this is the right thread for this, but how horrible is the new Moe’s burrito wrap contest they do during breaks?

If we’re losing, and I have to watch two kids roll into each other while “thank u next” is playing on Sunday, I may lose my mind.

I like how during the Cornell game, one of the kids didn't understand the rules. He just flailed then rolled on his own for the win.

Reaction Score
I like how during the Cornell game, one of the kids didn't understand the rules. He just flailed then rolled on his own for the win.
Lol he wasn’t even wrapped, the announcing guy was just like “I don’t even care just get these kids out of here”

Reaction Score
Nova, Wichita St., and a few of the recent big east match ups were close. But I think last true sell out at XL was 13-14 season? Against Cinci late in the year maybe?
I think the Georgetown game was a sell-out, or at least billed as such. Tried to find confirmation of that and came up with this article where Some Guy refers to it as sold out.

A Wonderful Reunion, But You Can't Live In The Past

Reaction Score
I think the Georgetown game was a sell-out, or at least billed as such. Tried to find confirmation of that and came up with this article where Some Guy refers to it as sold out.

A Wonderful Reunion, But You Can't Live In The Past
From what I've seen that crowd was announced at 15,564. I think XL Capacity for basketball games is 16,294. Either way we get 15,564 for the Zona game and it will feel like a sell out. XL Center can get real loud!

Reaction Score
Looking forward to a sell out. Hope the students show up and are LOUD.I'll be there remembering the old days in the BIG EAST when the opposing coach had to put chairs in mid court during time out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom