UConn violations under Kevin Ollie reflected in program’s record book (CT Post) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn violations under Kevin Ollie reflected in program’s record book (CT Post)

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Everyone on this board would be arguing that they were meaningless ... if only KO had been winning. Oh, and there would be much frothing and wailing and gnashing of teeth about UNC as well. Not to mention loud proclamations that the NCAA is a corrupt hypocritical organization.

Funny how a little thing like $10 million can completely change one's moral perspective.

Not exactly. None of us ever wanted any significant penalties on UConn. None of us wanted Ollie to commit violations and then lie about them to the school and NCAA. But yes, most of us wanted a new coach. If Ollie was doing great, would we want a new coach? No. Even with the violations, we'd want to keep him in that situation.

Not sure how what happens at other schools has anything to do with our situation. It's irrelevant. Morality isn't the issue either. None of this has anything to do with morality. Letting Adidas give a kid sneaker money isn't immoral in any real sense. Instead with Ollie it's a business issue. He has a contract that says he is paid even if he is fired, unless he is fired for cause. He was fired for cause. The NCAA findings provide evidence (not all of it) of cause. That's it.

I would rather the university AD has $10M to spend on football and men's soccer coach upgrades, people who would hopefully their job well and add value to the AD, than to pay a guy who did a bad job when he was last working for UConn and who isn't doing anything at all to earn that pay now. Why would any fan of UConn athletics want any different result?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The seasons shouldn't be vacated for those violations in comparison to what's happening it's that simple. It's treatment of UConn vs KU, Duke, UK, LVille, Zona, LSU and all the others. Its ridiculous and it has Emmerett prints all over it. If JC did it people would be po'd at the NCAA, KO did it they're po'd at KO they don't like him. Nor should they.

I'm in agreement. Just saying, they were major to some non UCONN people. People complaining that he shouldn't be fired for cause when the governing body of MCBB vacates 2 whole seasons....well, I don't know what to tell you. No I don't think that governing body is particularly fair in the least.

JC had earned that leeway. You build up that capital over time.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Everyone on this board would be arguing that they were meaningless ... if only KO had been winning. Oh, and there would be much frothing and wailing and gnashing of teeth about UNC as well. Not to mention loud proclamations that the NCAA is a corrupt hypocritical organization.

Funny how a little thing like $10 million can completely change one's moral perspective.
Lol, I doubt there is a fan base in the country that would argue that having two seasons fully vacated and a coach with three year show cause order was meaningless and trivial. Are you seriously trying to argue that?

CL82

Reaction Score
The seasons shouldn't be vacated for those violations in comparison to what's happening it's that simple. It's treatment of UConn vs KU, Duke, UK, LVille, Zona, LSU and all the others. Its ridiculous and it has Emmerett prints all over it. If JC did it people would be po'd at the NCAA, KO did it they're po'd at KO they don't like him. Nor should they.
Mau, we rarely disagree but we do here. You play ineligible players, your season should be vacated otherwise eligibility rules will never be followed.

I respectfully disagree that if Calhoun committed a series of violations, any one of which would caused his players to be ineligible, repeatedly lied to the school about it and then repeatedly lied to the NCAA about it that we'd all go "oh well boys will be boys." I wouldn't have. That is egregious behavior that would need to be address (likely with a resignation.)

But here's the thing Calhoun wouldn't have done that. He always accepted responsibility for his program (even at times when I think he didn't actually do anything wrong. Trying to equate Ollie with Calhoun will always end up with Ollie losing out.

Reaction Score
He most definitely shouldn't be HC. But this argument of "meaningless" or not is merely subject to the NCAA and their definition. It's awful to have made these errors in judgement for sure but let's compare them to Sean Miller, Chuck Person/BBQ's, Bill Self, LSU Wade, UNC not going to class, LVille and so many other things that are not even being discussed despite what would seem to be major violations. So reality is he did nothing in compared to others who aren't even being dismissed for doing what they did. Hence "meaningless" kind of in the big picture, they are a joke compared to thousands of dollars being handed to kids right?

Not trying to support KO's ineptness but please, it's not even close to what's happening out there and the NCAA knows it.

Can't we all agree that:
1) KO deserved to be fired for cause
and
2) Other major programs that have done a lot worse deserve harsh penalties

CL82

Reaction Score
Do we have to give up the AAC trophy from the win in Orlando? I know @AAC Guru would cry.
More importantly if those years are vacated does that mean that the ConFLiCT is back on?

Reaction Score
Ineligible because of the the workouts, huh? Hmm. Let’s see, how many games did North Carolina lose for having players stay on the roster by sham courses over a decade? How many scholarships lost? They are pre season #4 this year as they are Or better just about every year. no great love for KO but the NCAA is a joke.

Reaction Score
Ollie would have eventually gotten us into major issues - he was already on the slippery slope.

No doubt he was trying to make up for dropping the ball obviously. Crazy man, who woulda thunk it?

Another life with a coach with a plan thank God. May or may not get back to who we expect to be but certainly only chance we had was to stop the frivolity :eek:

Reaction Score
Mau, we rarely disagree but we do here. You play ineligible players, your season should be vacated otherwise eligibility rules will never be followed.

I respectfully disagree that if Calhoun committed a series of violations, any one of which would caused his players to be ineligible, repeatedly lied to the school about it and then repeatedly lied to the NCAA about it that we'd all go "oh well boys will be boys." I wouldn't have. That is egregious behavior that would need to be address (likely with a resignation.)

But here's the thing Calhoun wouldn't have done that. He always accepted responsibility for his program (even at times when I think he didn't actually do anything wrong. Trying to equate Ollie with Calhoun will always end up with Ollie losing out.

We only disagree because I'm comparing to things that are going on that are much worst than what he did, and no one is paying any penalties so why us?

Having said that if we are alone and no one is spending 100K to get a kid to play for them, or having kids skip classes and just play ball, then KO deserves everything he and UConn is getting for being so stupid. I am all in on that I am not in on the fact we are treated differently than the Millers and Selfs of the world.

Again, move on we all have a new life with a new coach. Hope we can begin to see the light again after such dark times. Big East soon too, loving where we are headed.

CL82

Reaction Score
We only disagree because I'm comparing to things that are going on that are much worst than what he did, and no one is paying any penalties so why us?

Having said that if we are alone and no one is spending 100K to get a kid to play for them, or having kids skip classes and just play ball, then KO deserves everything he and UConn is getting for being so stupid. I am all in on that I am not in on the fact we are treated differently than the Millers and Selfs of the world.

Again, move on we all have a new life with a new coach. Hope we can begin to see the light again after such dark times. Big East soon too, loving where we are headed.
No doubt. I'm hopeful that Arizona, KU and Louisville will all actually get sanctioned this time. We'll see.

Reaction Score
People want to look at the punishment from the NCAA as proof these were major violations but you have to look at the crime not the punishment. The guy who got 10 years for getting caught smoking a joint and with a dime bag is bad, but the guy caught with heroine and an open container gets sent to rehab. You have to look at what was done and compare that to similar violations and the punishment that were handed down for those violations. When that is done it's clear that the punishment levied against UConn are unjust.

Doesn't mean KO wasn't wrong and I'm plenty happy with our new coach and outlook but the punishment doesn't fit the violation here.

Btw, didn't Calipari get caught doing some illegal work out the same KO did? I could just be wishing that happened.

pj

Reaction Score
Can't we all agree that:
1) KO deserved to be fired for cause
and
2) Other major programs that have done a lot worse deserve harsh penalties

I think everyone agrees, some just still want to fight over it.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I'm in agreement. Just saying, they were major to some non UCONN people. People complaining that he shouldn't be fired for cause when the governing body of MCBB vacates 2 whole seasons....well, I don't know what to tell you. No I don't think that governing body is particularly fair in the least.

JC had earned that leeway. You build up that capital over time.

UConn* ;)

I tease.

CL82

Reaction Score
Doesn't mean KO wasn't wrong and I'm plenty happy with our new coach and outlook but the punishment doesn't fit the violation here.
How so?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
People want to look at the punishment from the NCAA as proof these were major violations but you have to look at the crime not the punishment. The guy who got 10 years for getting caught smoking a joint and with a dime bag is bad, but the guy caught with heroine and an open container gets sent to rehab. You have to look at what was done and compare that to similar violations and the punishment that were handed down for those violations. When that is done it's clear that the punishment levied against UConn are unjust.

Btw, didn't Calipari get caught doing some illegal work out the same KO did? I could just be wishing that happened.

In reality, he got nailed for lying to the NCAA (and UCONN). They always bring max punishment on that.

Obv the punishments don't fit the crime. NCAA gonna NCAA.

CL82

Reaction Score
In reality, he got nailed for lying to the NCAA (and UCONN). They always bring max punishment on that.
"It's always the cover up..."

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I prefer 'UConn', had always used 'UConn', until that rebranding kerfuffle a few years ago that nobody really understood. Now I'm corrupted

Reject the rebrand!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom