UConn @ Villanova (Friday 5/14 @ 3p, Saturday 5/15 @ 1:30p & Sunday 5/16 @ Noon) All games audio on Mixlr | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn @ Villanova (Friday 5/14 @ 3p, Saturday 5/15 @ 1:30p & Sunday 5/16 @ Noon) All games audio on Mixlr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Unfortunately I just think all the Covid stoppages have just killed this teams momentum. We just seem to be hitting our peak during the Georgetown series, everyone was hitting and then the 2 week layoff. Guys like CFed, Reggie and PWink have all been struggling mightily since. Never thought it would be the offense that would be the unit to struggle. With guys like Pat Winkel and even a Caleb Wurster who I would say aren't having the year they would like, wonder if there is any chance of these guys coming back. Especially Wurster, know there was talk about him becoming a starter. Maybe he would go that route next year as I'm not sure he has helped his draft stock that much this year. Think we just have to get guys going and maybe they'll get hot at the right time and can win the Big East tourney. Think that's what it takes at this point to get a Regional invite.

Reaction Score
Folks didn’t like it when I came down on this team right before the start of conference play, so I’ll avoid adjectives this time,but my point remains the same — this team’s winning percentage does not reflect the amount of individual talent on this team.
Pat Winkel, Crawford, Christian Fedko, Bushling and a number of pitchers were capable of giving us far more this year than they in fact are giving us. Add to that that we just lost a game we couldn’t afford to lose by giving up an unearned run on an error by a five year starter. That’s not to bash Chris Winkel — even the best make errors sometimes. But too often this year we’ve lost games not because we’ve been outhit or out pitched but because the other team makes plays and we don’t.

I think the at large possibilities may have ended yesterday. This team still has more than enough talent to win the Big East Tourney and be a problem for higher seeds in a regional, but everyone needs to start playing to their potential. NOW

Reaction Score
By my quick count, UConn is now 5-9 in one run games (1-3 in conference). If the record were reversed (not unreasonable given the talent on the team), the record would be 27-12 (9-2) and we wouldn't (necessarily) be talking about at large bids and/or having to win the conference tournament.

Reaction Score
Have to wonder if Pat Winkel's decline in production of late is tied to his having to catch every game including a bunch of doubleheaders while Devenney was out injured for a good portion of the season. Winkel was the only healthy catcher for that stretch, and that grind may have worn him down mentally as well as physically. Devenney is able to spell Winkel now behind the plate, but it is quite possible Winkel hasn't recovered from the wear and tear of that stretch.

As for Crawford, he is a player with tremendous potential and power (both at the plate and on the mound), but it seems he is someone who is quite capable of spectacular plays, both good and bad. He can hit the big home run in a big situation, or he can strikeout wildly in a situation where simple bat contact with the ball can bring in a run. He leads the team in striking out by a goodly margin. He certainly has his share of inconsistency even when he is playing well. One other thing that Crawford needs to do better is to get on base more. UConn has a bunch of regular players with on base percentages of over .350, but Crawford is not one of them (he clocks in currently at .333). To me the ability to get on base is the most important thing a player can provide to an offense. Hopefully this will be something that he improves upon before he departs the UConn baseball program.

Reaction Score
Always good when the Chris Jones audio pops up on the computer.

Reaction Score
Top 1st, UConn goes down quickly in order. In other words, a typical first inning for the Huskies, they just don't score much early in games this season.

Reaction Score
This strike zone is enormous - a couple of those inside "strikes" to Browny were the stuff of a Little League strike zone. Hope it helps Casparius go deep.

Reaction Score
And big ups to Browny for not getting fazed by it and then coming through with a key hit

Reaction Score
Bottom 2nd, Casparius with 3 strikeouts, with a Christian Fedko infield error thrown in. 2-0 UConn.

Both Chris Jones and Coach Penders in interviews has talked about infield defense being one of the biggest weaknesses of this team. UConn could certainly use better play up the middle next season.

Reaction Score
Bottom 2nd, Casparius with 3 strikeouts, with a Christian Fedko infield error thrown in. 2-0 UConn.

Both Chris Jones and Coach Penders in interviews has talked about infield defense being one of the biggest weaknesses of this team. UConn could certainly use better play up the middle next season.
And maybe a better infield defensive coach too

Reaction Score
I know I'm new to UConn baseball but I just don't understand the hype around CFed. Don't get me wrong, he isn't a bad player but people seem to love this guy. It seems like he is a great teammate and must be to be named a captain. But production wise, he doesn't knock my socks off on offense or defense.

Reaction Score
I know I'm new to UConn baseball but I just don't understand the hype around CFed. Don't get me wrong, he isn't a bad player but people seem to love this guy. It seems like he is a great teammate and must be to be named a captain. But production wise, he doesn't knock my socks off on offense or defense.

Offensively he can be quite good, but he has been slumping of late. Defense has always been a question mark with him. If you ask me, Bushling is similar at shortstop. It's tough to have two similar players like this in the middle of the infield.

Reaction Score
Bottom 3rd, with the audio out on Chris Jones, Villanova ties the game with a 2 run homer.

Reaction Score
Offensively he can be quite good, but he has been slumping of late. Defense has always been a question mark with him. If you ask me, Bushling is similar at shortstop. It's tough to have two similar players like this in the middle of the infield.

Makes you really miss the days when UConn had Prato and Woodworth in the middle of the infield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom