UConn v. University of Washington @ the Conway SC Regional on 6/3 @ 6:00 on ESPN3 | Page 13 | The Boneyard

UConn v. University of Washington @ the Conway SC Regional on 6/3 @ 6:00 on ESPN3

Reaction Score
I have no idea how we would have gotten 9 innings from our staff tomorrow, but the lack of pitching depth didn't cost us today's game. Poor fundamental baseball did.

I don't want to lose in the disappointment how many underappreciated pitchers came up big in the postseason when more depth was needed. PJ and Dunlop and Dandanaeu today. Holmes last week. People came through.

This team didn't lose due to lack of guts. Just a lot of other stuff.

Reaction Score
Also painful that we likely would host the Super if we found a way........

Reaction Score
They fought hard but that first game loss was tough to recover from in this format. Have to give Washington credit. We didn't have quite enough left to pull it off but congrats on a great season.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The old nemesis -lack of smartness on the bases - reared it's ugly head again
A new nemesis - a faulty infield showed up for the first time
Losing that 1st game and having to use Cate to save UConn's bacon in that 1st elimination game spelled disaster
This team was a joy but you knew inside that it lacked that special item that would carry them through this tournament
THANKS UCONN for a really good season

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
trying to steal second base with runners at 1st and 3rd and one out (in the first inning) was beyond "lack of smartness."

Agree. When their SP was struggling in the first two innings, we gave them two free outs. If we didn't do that, I don't think their SP makes it out of the 3rd inning and we are playing at 1:00pm today.

Reaction Score
trying to steal second base with runners at 1st and 3rd and one out (in the first inning) was beyond "lack of smartness."

I made that point at the time. Penders clearly believes in an aggressive style of baserunning, and you can argue (without there being a right answer) whether being aggressive is good or bad. But neither the attempted steal in the 1st or getting doubled off first in the 9th were about playing an aggressive style. They were both just incorrect decisions.

Reaction Score
Stanford getting knocked out makes me wonder what if

I think they're all thinking "what if" at the moment, especially because a best of 3 series is much, much more in our wheelhouse than having to play 5 games in a tournament.

I don't know where we were getting 9 innings from today if we forced a decisive championship game, but we should have forced one. 63 out of 64 teams end the season on a loss, but you want to be beaten -- as we were by Washington on Friday. You don't want to go home ever having beaten yourselves.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
While we would have like to still be playing, it was an excellent season. They played hard, battled through adversary with some of the injuries & were grinders through the end. They were a fun college team to watch. I watched a bunch of the other regional games that were on TV & saw the many of the same types of "mistakes" & "bad decisions" that happened in our games; it's not that I expect these kinds of things, but it is college baseball & they do happen. Hope all goes well for Tim Cate & others with draft hopes. Won't be long until we're back on the field again!!!

Reaction Score
Those 2 make up about 90% of my optimism for next year. Losing Cate will hurt but some combo of Feole, Kersten, Gardner, Dunlop, Burrows as our starters is nice. Also think Maycock could be a big part next year wherever we can find ABs for him

If Burrows doesn't go pro and comes to UConn, the starting pitching will be in fine shape. I would expect Penders will try to fast track him into the weekend starting rotation like he did with Kay, Cate, and Feole. If he takes, weekend starters of Feole, Gardner, and Burrows would be very nice. I'd like to see Dunlop as the chief weekday starter, and Kersten getting the call on the odd occasions when a second weekday starter is needed, otherwise he would see time in middle inning relief. In this role Kersten would provide quite a contrast to the hard throwers starting the game and flame throwers such as Wallace trying to close games out.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Not speaking to that one play but to the overall pattern throughout the year

Reaction Score
While we would have like to still be playing, it was an excellent season. They played hard, battled through adversary with some of the injuries & were grinders through the end. They were a fun college team to watch. I watched a bunch of the other regional games that were on TV & saw the many of the same types of "mistakes" & "bad decisions" that happened in our games; it's not that I expect these kinds of things, but it is college baseball & they do happen. Hope all goes well for Tim Cate & others with draft hopes. Won't be long until we're back on the field again!!!

I've said this before, but my wife and I have season tickets to the Connecticut Tigers of the New York Penn League, which is short season A ball. A goodly number of players in this league are just out of college having just been selected in the MLB draft. The mistakes and bad decisions that are mentioned above and that people complain about on this board are quite prevalent at this level of baseball as well. It is not just a UConn thing. Anyone who thinks otherwise should take in some of these games at Dodd Stadium.

Reaction Score
I've said this before, but my wife and I have season tickets to the Connecticut Tigers of the New York Penn League, which is short season A ball..

And Coach Baylock still throws batting practice every home game for these guys...what a monster!!!!!!

Reaction Score
And Coach Baylock still throws batting practice every home game for these guys...what a monster!!!!!!

It's never a surprise to see Coach Baylock at Dodd Stadium, and that has been the case since the place opened. If anyone can be said to have a rubber arm, Coach Baylock is it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom