UConn v. Tulsa — Game Thread | Page 16 | The Boneyard

UConn v. Tulsa — Game Thread

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Even though they were told about Geno's style of coaching before they arrived on campus, some players are not motivated by constant berating; some, yes, but constant negativism with no positive comments can slow a person's growth. However, it's too late now. They just have to deal with it.

Reaction Score
I thought about resisting to put in my two cents but I'm just gonna say it like this - feel free to bite if you must - UCONN just played flat out disenchanting out there. I support Geno 100% for putting in the bench to start the second quarter to address the bench issue however it was conspicuous that they are quite not there yet and are still at a roadblock. I still hold firm belief that it will get figured out and someone or someones will eventually step up and stand out. We still have a whole bunch of games on the schedule to play before the postseason begins.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Even though they were told about Geno's style of coaching before they arrived on campus, some players are not motivated by constant berating; some, yes, but constant negativism with no positive comments can slow a person's growth. However, it's too late now. They just have to deal with it.
"Constant berating"? You mean, like, 24 hours a day? If you listen to any of the player interviews, Geno's a big teddy bear most of the time.

"He's an Italian softy. He tries to come off with all this machoism, but he smokes his cigar, drinks a little wine, and that's all he is." ~Diana Taurasi talking about her coach.

Reaction Score
"Constant berating"? You mean, like, 24 hours a day? If you listen to any of the player interviews, Geno's a big teddy bear most of the time.

"He's an Italian softy. He tries to come off with all this machoism, but he smokes his cigar, drinks a little wine, and that's all he is." ~Diana Taurasi talking about her coach.

And that's why his former players love him and keep coming back. When we lost in the NCAA last year Geno took it in stride, while former players were pi$$ed.

Reaction Score
Sometimes I feel like on offense she's a three or nothing girl. Either she's hitting a ton of threes and she's looking for her shot or she not interested in scoring and becomes more of a distributor( which is fine). I think she's come along way since her freshman and soph years.

I guess I saw someone else when she was a freshman. She always brings high IQ and a steady floor game. She cuts very well, always and makes a ton of really good decisions. There is a reason she has seen so many minutes in all 4 years. Everyone played poorly tonight, it happens. However, when everyone plays poorly at the same time, that's a bigger problem. For me I was most surprised by the poor defensive effort, but I think bringing effort all this time is this teams Achilles heel, as it was last year.

Reaction Score
Negatives for the night...Notre Dame won.
Nah we need the ND win for our SOS. They've played a harder schedule than we have with an injury depleted team. Muffet is making her case for coach of the year.

Reaction Score
Honestly, wasn't this a much better game than winning by 50 points? Did it not keep one riveted to SNY for the entire game? Geno didn't want to lose the TV audience to ESPN and to "other game" that was going on....truly a master of manipulation. :rolleyes:

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
And that's why his former players love him and keep coming back. When we lost in the NCAA last year Geno took it in stride, while former players were pi$$ed.

Which i was surprised about.

Because the level of effort against Miss St wasn’t even on this level.

the Q

Reaction Score
I really wanted to see walker step up, but she looked lost out there defensively in the 2nd quarter.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Nah we need the ND win for our SOS. They've played a harder schedule than we have with an injury depleted team. Muffet is making her case for coach of the year.

I don't think we will need any SOS help from them or anybody else. If we win out we're the No. 1 overall NCAA seed no matter what. Even if we don't we likely will be anyway.

As for ND, I personally would root for ISIS if they were playing them. They were a parasite as a member of the former Big East Conference, which they used to financially enhance their Olympic sports programs. They were in the Horizon League before that. They took everything they possibly could from that relationship and gave zero back. They wouldn't lift a finger to help support a conference they single handedly could have saved, which consisted of quite a few other catholic schools they turned their back on. They're one of the reasons we are presently stuck in this conference of misfit toys called the AAC.

the Q

Reaction Score
I don't think we will need any SOS help from them or anybody else. If we win out we're the No. 1 overall NCAA seed no matter what. Even if we don't we likely will be anyway.

As for ND, I personally would root for ISIS if they were playing them. They were a parasite as a member of the former Big East Conference, which they used to financially enhance their Olympic sports programs. They were in the Horizon League before that. They took everything they possibly could from that relationship and gave zero back. They wouldn't lift a finger to help support a conference they single handedly could have saved, which consisted of quite a few other catholic schools they turned their back on. They're one of the reasons we are presently stuck in this conference of misfit toys called the AAC.

I have Duke, UNC and Michigan St on that list as well. But that's more from the men's side of things. I don't actively dislike really any other WBB teams.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Honestly, wasn't this a much better game than winning by 50 points? Did it not keep one riveted to SNY for the entire game? Geno didn't want to lose the TV audience to ESPN and to "other game" that was going on....truly a master of manipulation. :rolleyes:

Geno did say among other things " Yes, I will keep using my bench. We need some close games"

Of course, I prefer my close games to be against TX, not Tulsa. :rolleyes:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score

No, not like 24 hours a day. I'm talking about practice. It does not seem to be having a positive affect on the team this season for whatever reason.

Siestakeyfan

Sailing at Block Island Race Week
Reaction Score
After watching this game, I had two thoughts.

1. Good gracious I hope Stevens and Pheesa come back next year.

2. If there was an WNBA draft where you could only pick among current UConn players, team needs aside, I am taking Stevens first.
WHY does Stevens keep shooting 3's ? Tells us all something about her !

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
I think we all thought this was going to be Uconn team for the ages. So far not so much.

Danger- A lot better this year.
Kia- Same as last year.
KLS- A lot better BUT injuries have slowed her up.
Gabby- not same gabby as last year. That fearless determination is not always on the court. Migraines? Off games? IDK
Z- Clearly a huge addition and IMHO playing well.

PHEESE- Not playing as well as last year. Confidence issues, missing shots etc.

Bench - Clearly talked about on the BY. They've kinda been a dud

Mix in bad shins, bad hip flexors, black eyes, and it hasn't been the team we thought.

Yes we are undefeated, yes we've shown heart, yes we will march to the final four but the goal is to win it all. I'm a lot more concerned than I thought I'd be before the season started.
Hmm, Kia seems like a better player this season than last, to me. I'm biased but I think she's among the best two-way guards--don't forget the bagel she hung on the Latvian Launcher--in the country.

Reaction Score
Hmm, Kia seems like a better player this season than last, to me. I'm biased but I think she's among the best two-way guards--don't forget the bagel she hung on the Latvian Launcher--in the country.

I respect your opinion. You know saying that was not a knock on her. I really really like Kia. I think we will miss Kia more than Gabby next year. She a wonderful player

Reaction Score
He has to continue to develop the bench, some of his core girls are already struggling with nagging injuries the more mins they play, IMO the more risk for injury, I’m not saying play the bench all at once, but he definitey has to keep developing at least 2 or 3 besides Stevens off the bench, this isn’t UConn team of the past imo they aren’t winning it all with a 6 man bench.
For past two years, appears most teams with quick guards are able to consistently, throughout game, drive through lane. One of main reasons we lost in NCAA's last year. Doesn't seem to matter whether its Texas or Tulsa. Curious why Geno never mentions or fixes this.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I'm glad Geno is doing this. They really need to develop and this is the game to do it.

After the way the reserves played, it looks like Geno is between a rock and a hard place. He didn't like what he saw, and was convinced that the only reason they won the game was because UConn had three more All-Americans on their team than Tulsa did. This still does not mean that he can just throw in the towel. Geno says he likes challenges, well he's got one. He and his staff have got to figure out how to get pass this temporary situation they're in. Other teams (Notre Dame, Temple, et.al) have suffered the same or worse fate that this. I agree with Kara Wolters and others here in the yard that one or more of the reserves has got to step up. They can't wait until next year.

Normally, freshmen are not needed to make significant contributions during their first year. Things are different this season. Minor injuries to several starters, players not producing as expected, reserves not progressing in a timely manor as expected. Sometimes things don't go as expected. Back in September, Geno's bench was thought by many to be deep. That' is no longer the case. And no one is going to feel sorry for the Huskies. Being an optimist, I think Geno and staff (this is one of those times when he really needs their input and support) will figure out and implement the best course of action. At some "point", ALL the freshmen will get it. Unfortunately for them, we can't wait. The team needs that "point" to be now!!!

Lately, UConn has appeared to have lost some of its Mojo. They don't look quite as over powering as they usually do. Geno mentioned in his post-game presser that Tulsa never quit. They kept coming and were making easy shots that UConn usually makes, but for some reason, was not able to. Something has to change. I'm not sure berating his players relentlessly is the way to go. There are other ways to motivate players, but that's Geno's call. I commented during the 2nd quarter that I liked what I was seeing. What I liked was seeing all of them on the floor.

They had a 15 point lead at the beginning of the quarter, and maintained it to half time. For a group of players not used to playing that early in a game, and the fact that Tulsa's starters were still on the floor, and still competing and making shots, it could have been much worse. Like it or not, Geno is still going to have to continue putting the reserves on the floor earlier. At some point (hopefully), they will breakout of their cocoon, get over being nervous and playing scared, and just play. Play like they did in high school. Wolters said something last night I thought was very insightful.

She said Geno is very demanding (duh). When most freshmen do get into the game, they are so worried about making a mistake(s), and possibly getting yanked by Geno, that it's hard for them to be productive, and play in the normal ebb and flow of the game. They're still learning the system, and are subject to making mistakes, be it being out of position, making a turnovers, and having defensive lapses. We saw a lot of that last night in the 2nd quarter. We'll see more of it the next time he puts them out there. At some point, they will settle down and begin to recapture the blue chip persona and swagger they played with in high school.

There's not a switch that Geno can flip to make the second unit instantly play better. Addressing issues shown in the game, and correcting them is the only antidote for the deficiencies we saw last evening. Throwing in the towel, and resorting to go with 5 won't work. Two of the starters are already hurting. They must be allowed to heal. Playing them 40 minutes a night will not allow for that healing to take place.

I'm sure Geno and staff will come up with something. We'll just have to wait and see what is is. They've got 3 AAC games coming up with Temple, Memphis and Tulane. Twelve days before their date with South Carolina (Feb 1). Plenty of time for Lou, Gabby and Crystal to get better and hopefully for 1-2 of the reserves to step up. God forbid, it could be worse. One or two of the injuries to the starters could have been season ending (like Notre Dame. Down to 7 scholarship players). It's not, so that's something to be happy about.

Notre Dame found a way to win last night after being down 23 points to Tennessee. I'd like to think that our girls have as much if not more grit and resolve as they do. When times get tough (and they are now), the tough get going!! I'm expecting a breakthrough some time between today and the South Carolina game. I'm not ready to give up and throw in the towel. I have not read any comment this morning (it's still morning here) yet. Some of you may have said the same thing I've commented on. My comments are based on what I saw, and Geno's & Kara's post-game comments. Thoughts............................:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom