UConn v. Tulsa — Game Thread | Page 15 | The Boneyard

UConn v. Tulsa — Game Thread

Reaction Score
So is taking away their uniforms worse than taking away their locker room? I know he's done that before - when was it again?

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Just like I didn't agree with being told "Relax, will ya". Judging by this quote, Coach Auriemma was also not impressed.

"That was the most disgraceful effort I've seen in Connecticut in the 32 years here. We won because we have All-Americans and they don't."

OK, so don’t relax. Or just do what you please. ;-) In the end, it’s just a game.
Our opinions vary; no big deal.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I think we all thought this was going to be Uconn team for the ages. So far not so much.

Danger- A lot better this year.
Kia- Same as last year.
KLS- A lot better BUT injuries have slowed her up.
Gabby- not same gabby as last year. That fearless determination is not always on the court. Migraines? Off games? IDK
Z- Clearly a huge addition and IMHO playing well.

PHEESE- Not playing as well as last year. Confidence issues, missing shots etc.

Bench - Clearly talked about on the BY. They've kinda been a dud

Mix in bad shins, bad hip flexors, black eyes, and it hasn't been the team we thought.

Yes we are undefeated, yes we've shown heart, yes we will march to the final four but the goal is to win it all. I'm a lot more concerned than I thought I'd be before the season started.
Kia's improved her rebounding a little. I always thought that was an area for improvement given she's a big guard.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
You mean the press conference? There is always a press conference after every game. Can't always see it though. SNY usually puts at least part of it on, time permitting.
Alas, I'm limited to ESPN3.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
So is taking away their uniforms worse than taking away their locker room? I know he's done that before - when was it again?
He's done it twice. Once was a l0ng time ago, maybe when Meg Culmo played, or thereabouts. Tried it again another time but it was ineffectual. Wish I could give you dates/years.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Now watching ND / UT game on delay. It is as amazing in its own way as the UConn game was in its. LV’s were crazy good - 17 points up after the first quarter, then they get out scored in the last three.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Kia's improved her rebounding a little. I always thought that was an area for improvement given she's a big guard.

You say that on a night she had 0 rebounds in 29 minutes.

Stevens had 4 in 15 minutes. She did put up 22 points in that short period though.

Reaction Score

Wants to give fans their money back who went to the game.

He is frustrated.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
You say that on a night she had 0 rebounds in 29 minutes.

Stevens had 4 in 15 minutes. She did put up 22 points in that short period though.
I've never been known for my timing . . .

But don't you think she's better at rebounding overall? She's stood in with the trees a few times and acquitted herself well.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
So while we all lament the performance of UConn’s bench, it’s worth pointing out that in tonight’s TN-ND game, the combined total points for both benches was 4 pts, with 1 basket each.

Reaction Score
I hope the bench continues to get more than mop up minutes. If nothing else it will save the starters some wear and tear and it could actually result in their improvement.

Reaction Score

Sometimes I feel like on offense she's a three or nothing girl. Either she's hitting a ton of threes and she's looking for her shot or she not interested in scoring and becomes more of a distributor( which is fine). I think she's come along way since her freshman and soph years.

Reaction Score
I've never been known for my timing . . .

But don't you think she's better at rebounding overall? She's stood in with the trees a few times and acquitted herself well.

I think we are going severely miss Kia nurse next year. Especially with the guards that are in line to replace her.

Reaction Score
I think we are going severely miss Kia nurse next year. Especially with the guards that are in line to replace her.
I've been saying that all year. As much as I like Gabby, and as unique and athletic a player as she is, we will miss Kia more. Kia is durable, tough, arguably the best shooter, and plays the tightest defense on the team.

Reaction Score
I believe our players (all of them) want to keep the UCONN legacy alive and won't want to leave. As frustrated as Geno is, I can't believe the bench "don't get it" because they "don't care"... I believe they want to please him every way they can on the court...so much so that they are afraid of letting him down which ends up being exactly what they end up doing. I coached baseball teams for years, and from time to time we would have a team go through these kind of spells...where they didn't play to their potential. We worked through it as a team, step by step. Geno has been around long enough to know what buttons to push and what levers to flip to bring about the changes needed.

Reaction Score
I've been saying that all year. As much as I like Gabby, and as unique and athletic a player as she is, we will miss Kia more. Kia is durable, tough, arguably the best shooter, and plays the tightest defense on the team.

You are dead on my friend.

Reaction Score
I believe our players (all of them) want to keep the UCONN legacy alive and won't want to leave. As frustrated as Geno is, I can't believe the bench "don't get it" because they "don't care"... I believe they want to please him every way they can on the court...so much so that they are afraid of letting him down which ends up being exactly what they end up doing. I coached baseball teams for years, and from time to time we would have a team go through these kind of spells...where they didn't play to their potential. We worked through it as a team, step by step. Geno has been around long enough to know what buttons to push and what levers to flip to bring about the changes needed.

I agree, I was literally going to say something like this, I don’t even play for Geno and he scares me lol, I think when bench players do get a chance to play they are playing not to disappoint him, instead of just relaxing and like you said play to there potential, when you are playing for a coach like Geno I’m sure it can get intimidating like if I mess up once I’m going to get pulled out the game, so there not playing loosely if that makes sense. I’ve always said in order to get better you have to let certain players play thru there mistakes, like Megan everything is clearly in her head now, and she prob has lost a bit of confidence even if she makes mistakes let her play thru them

Reaction Score
This was not a good move by Geno tonight. The starters have the same attitude on the floor that he does on the bench tonight. No sense of urgency or insistence they play UConn style of basketball.

Who is Geno playing too tonight? Is he trying to prove a point to the fans and the media why the reserves aren't getting enough minutes. Play the reserves that have the most individual skills to play against Elite Competition. IMO that's Megan and Mikayla.
Given his past history, I think Geno knows what he’s doing.

Reaction Score
As we have all suspected, this years UConn team is very very beatable. To me it is the defense that is struggling. If UConn goes the distance this year it will be with a 6 person rotation. Pray for good health and no fouls.
Very, very beatable? Well so far we’re undefeated against the toughest schedule in the country. I think we’ll be ok. Just working thru a few challenges.

Reaction Score
I also think Geno says certain things to motivate his team/players, because right now if I was the bench and i heard what the coach had to say about my performance, that would motivate me to work even harder for the next time i get a chance to prove myself. It’s like when he told Katie Lou when she wasn’t playing well, that he had recruited the wrong Samuelson sister lol, I think he says certain things to see what there reactions are going to be if that makes sense, like are u going to prove my comments to be right, or will you prove me wrong and show me something good.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom