UCONN - UNC Post game thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UCONN - UNC Post game thread

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Oh mighty Sultan, what does the “crowd host’s” white boots have to do with his job skills!??
Pronouns are key. The white boot person was "she". I am pretty sure that "Jenna" is a Connecticut Sun employee, since she performs the same crowd-pumping role at every Sun home game (sans white boots as I recall).

I am a Nika fan, but her turnovers were not the result of “great feeds” missed by semi-engaged teammates. She simply made some bad plays. No excuses needed! She more than made up for those with her 3 point shooting!
I was in the crowd, and both of the passes to Ashlynn were made when Ash was paying no attention to the play behind her, and did not anticipate the pass. Ash was doing the right thing (running the wing on the break), but the only reason you do that is to potentially receive a pass from the point guard who is trying to get the ball up the court quickly. If you, the wing, aren't paying attention, you aren't doing your job.

There were two nearly identical plays like that in close succession. Ash will learn her job on the fast break, and those mistakes won't happen again.

One more point re turnovers: Many of you have complained about UConn's 17 turnovers, and the fact that many of them were sloppy. Nobody has mentioned that UNC had 19 turnovers, most of which (in my observation at the game) were NOT sloppy -- they were forced by UConn's defense. Deja Kelly personally had 6 turnovers, just like Nika. UConn had more steals by a margin of 10-8. Most significantly, UConn led 21-13 in points off turnovers.

And one further point about rebounding: It should be noted that despite UConn's substantial rebounding deficit, UNC only led in second-chance points by 16-11, so all their rebounding was worth a net of only 5 points to them. And, if it's any comfort, UNC played South Carolina at the end of November and lost to them by only 8 points (65-58), less than the margin in today's game. Surprisingly, UNC outrebounded even South Carolina by 45-39, and led in offensive rebounds by 15-6 (compared to 19-11 in today's game). So based on the results of today's game, UConn should be competitive against South Carolina.

Reaction Score
Having read through all the posts I'm in agreement with most of the observations addressing the ups and downs of this well needed win. I'll only add that I was surprised that while there were many comments on how well Paige played, none specifically made mention that she made what seemed like 5 or 6 really high difficulty layups. Her body control and concentration are phenomenal.

One other thing. During the on-court interview of Geno he acknowledged that UNC's height was a problem with his small lineup but that as long the small lineup advantages outweighed going bigger he was fine with going small. For Ice the message is clear - for her to get minutes she will have to prove that a bigger lineup including her and AE is at least as good as the small lineup.

Reaction Score
Sure can 3 straight trips in the 2nd quarter all with
tUrnovers by nika and Paige and the 10 pt lead was almost gone

So when you are up by 15... might not be the best idea to experiment with players who have shown again and again they are not ready to play at this level just to improve their confidence or whatever.

Reaction Score
I just finished watching the replay (thank you, @MJL243) and now I think I can call it, especially since Geno compared her to Diana and Holly kept reminding us of the 1000 points in 55 games. Paige's performance, tonight with 26 pts on 11-14 shooting, 4 blocks (I think she actually had 5) and 3 steals, was worthy of Maya the Magnificent.

Paige has had games like this one before -- I'm sure we all have some favorites we can point to -- and I hope she has a lot more of them this season.

Reaction Score
I think Geno is getting a better idea of what will work for now. The new players have to have time to develop. The team synergy is also coming along.
Paige got a few blocks but they were "gimmees" and she wasn't in danger of getting into foul trouble because of them.
Nika made some treys which I hoped she would do. A few of her turnovers were because the other player wasn't looking for the ball.
Aubrey was pretty active on the boards and showed a lot of hustle.

Reaction Score
What exactly are you trying to say?
What exactly are you trying to say?:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
In regard to Ice and Q I think they haven't gotten used to the physicality and speed of the college game yet!
They need some game time to gain that type of experience!
They won't get it from practice!
As far as stray passes go they need to play with the same players more to gain the experience/knowledge needed!

Reaction Score
It seems that N. Carolina has the same problem that we have, no players. NC only played 5 players that scored. But, a win is a win. Ashlynn and KK are still carrying their weight as starters and Paige looked like the Paige in her freshman year. Aaliyah was solid as always and Nika was a scorer Audrey was a contributor also. The defense was good enough to make this win possible. We will get even better and the wins will come.Geno is learning what he has as a team and is now processing his strategy for the season. With his brilliant mind I am sure he will get the max that this team can bring to the table. GO GO GO HUSKIES!!!
Both valid.

As to 1- This is especially concerning when the refereeing in women's basketball has become so contact happy and so collectively unwilling to blow the whistle. As a group, they are ensuring more injuries when they allow pushing, shoving, hitting in the face etc. If the men's game were called like this there would be a fist fight every 5 minutes.

As to 2- They need Q and Ice to improve and be assets out there in crunch time. With Q it is her defense and with Ice it is her foot speed and uncertainty. She also has to box out much better and work on her elevation. I think she lost a lot by missing last year.
KK needs to improve her shooting and her lay-ups. Ice needs to start posting up and stop taking those long range shots she keeps missing.

Reaction Score
UConn was the fourth best team in the tournament and FSU, with the two explosive guards, would have been a real pest. A long, long way to go. Alijah can not afford to have only four points in the first three quarters; she needs to play the whole game like she did in the fourth quarter or we have no chance. Did those complaining about Cadence and Ice not playing in the second half watch the second quarter?!

Reaction Score
In regard to Ice and Q I think they haven't gotten used to the physicality and speed of the college game yet!
They need some game time to gain that type of experience!
They won't get it from practice!
As far as stray passes go they need to play with the same players more to gain the experience/knowledge needed!
This team can't afford to train them during the game. They need to come ready to play and contribute.

Reaction Score
So when you are up by 15... might not be the best idea to experiment with players who have shown again and again they are not ready to play at this level just to improve their confidence or whatever.
Experiment?
Hell no!
UCONN was desperate for a win. A 15 point lead can be easily overtaken especially when being pressed.

Reaction Score
The Defense will only be "so good" this year. They are too small and too inexperienced for the most part while Amari as an exception is not strong enough for another part. Win or lose the quality of their games will be determined by a combniation of extreme Defensive effort along with how efficient they are offensively . If they are efficient offensively then less chance to get the ball run down their throat.

Consider a 2-2-1 Press not to push pace and force turnovers but try to slow the opposing team down from taking the balll up the floor in order to take more time off the shot clock. Just a nutty fun suggestion in which I can say easliy sitting on my couch with zero accountability if it fails. :)

Loved that UCONN had 3 scorers tonight.
Love how KK and Shade seem to balance each other. And both sem to have a cool swagger.

Reaction Score
By the way, that pass Paige made in a halfcourt set with her left hand that went off Aaliyah's hands. Just -- omgggg--- wow!!!!
Please have her be healthy the next 15 years or so.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
They only have one ranked team left to play before Christmas and that's Louisville at the XL. I believe that if UConn plays like they did the first three quarters today they should beat the Cardinals. Then they have Butler, also at the XL and then the Metros up in Canada. If all goes well they will be 8-3 before the Marquette and Creighton games on 12/31 and 1/3. The Metros game is considered an exhibition game.

Reaction Score
That’s our win condition. Paige was the most dominant player on the court today. Unstoppable scoring, steals, blocks, forcing turnovers, the whole package. All that while sleepwalking the 4th quarter (not great but we won so I won’t complain lol)
Seemed like Geno had them focused on using up clock in the final quarter to an extent that resulted in the “sleepwalking.”

Reaction Score
Aubrey surprisingly struggled with layups.
And also not taking any longer shots where defense was sagging off of her. Earlier in the season. she was taking some of those shots.

Reaction Score
We put two good runs together and added great defensive effort for a solid win. Hoping we could add more balanced scoring and have more players looking to score than pass. This game worked with a small line-up but required about six players to pull it off. We really need more inside help. Many of our passes hit our players in the back! Why can't all players have an eye on the ball????
Many? A small number. Weird one with Ashlyn not aware the ball was coming to her.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom