UCONN - UNC Post game thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

UCONN - UNC Post game thread

Reaction Score
How far can they get using six players? We are about to find out because Ice is clearly no where near ready to contribute with and Q has somehow fallen into the doghouse !
Coach needs to play them still because that is how they will learn snd improve. Ice especially!

Reaction Score
Didn’t get to watch the game live had a softball tournament but watched MJ’s replay
My observations..
Too many missed bunnies at least 10 .. We still have lots of unnecessary turnovers man we are small ..
AG is fantastic one game on offense than disappears the I wish she would have a mid game she drives to the basket than stops underneath tends to get her in trouble ..
AE man which she would hit that mid range like she did last year
KK I haven’t seen her high school clips but can she shoot from outside her shot looks really flat but I do love her aggressive takes to the hole ..
Overall not a bad game NC was very physical but I think that’s the style these days ..
Paige was fantastic just hates she disappears on offense for spurts she just need to be CC at times ..
And finally Ice was put on ice ? She played what 2 minutes ?

Reaction Score
Turnovers are not always the fault of the person to whom they are assessed. Two of Nika's turnovers were the result of Ashlyn not paying attention and not seeing the ball coming. Perhaps Nika should not have thrown the pass (as Rebecca Lobo suggested), but timing is everything. Sometimes you need to pass to where the player is supposed to be rather than wait until she is there, fully set, and staring at you. That said, I have no doubt that Nika and Ash will be on the same page next time.
I agreed with Rebecca Lobo's comment. My wife disagreed and quoted Brittany Giner's comment: " when Diana has the ball ... I
learned to keep my head up!"

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think the immediate reality is against top competition Geno may go with only 6.
He went with eight last night. Aaliyah played the most minutes at 35, followed by Nika and Paige at 33 apiece.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Lack of rebounding (which obviously comes with the territory with this lineup) really hurt. Second chance points for UNC was crazy. Sometimes it was third chance points.
Check the facts (box score) before you make statements like that. UNC won the battle of second-chance points by just 16-11.

It's easy to react emotionally to one or two possessions (and I confess that I thought the same thing as I watched the game live), but for the game as a whole, second-chance points were not a major factor -- especially not as compared to UConn's 21-13 advantage in points off turnovers.

Reaction Score
Having read through all the posts I'm in agreement with most of the observations addressing the ups and downs of this well needed win. I'll only add that I was surprised that while there were many comments on how well Paige played, none specifically made mention that she made what seemed like 5 or 6 really high difficulty layups. Her body control and concentration are phenomenal.

One other thing. During the on-court interview of Geno he acknowledged that UNC's height was a problem with his small lineup but that as long the small lineup advantages outweighed going bigger he was fine with going small. For Ice the message is clear - for her to get minutes she will have to prove that a bigger lineup including her and AE is at least as good as the small lineup
I disagree. Literally half the team is comprised of freshmen, talented ones that have contributed but made some mistakes. I expect those to diminish as the season progresses. For example, KK’s TOs will decline once she becomes more familiar with new teammates.

UNC was not a good matchup for Q and Ice but they, too, will be stronger contributors by the time the post-season rolls around. I think the speed of the game was wrong for them, something that’s not unusual for freshmen. As they get more experienced, and confident, the game will slow down for them.

The seniors looked better yesterday, and that’s a big plus. But they, too, need to adapt to new teammates and their styles of play. The chemistry is building but it’s not there yet. Only time can fix that problem.

I see a huge potential for growth in this team and big upside on this excellent freshman class. I don’t understand those of you that have effectively written off the team
Well thought out post

CL82

Reaction Score
I agreed with Rebecca Lobo's comment. My wife disagreed and quoted Brittany Giner's comment: " when Diana has the ball ... I
learned to keep my head up!"
A reporter asked Kevin McHale about his impressive court awareness and how he always seemed ready for the ball. The reporter specifically asked what his motivation was and the answer was "because I don't want a Larry Bird pass hitting me off the back of the head."

I didn't think Nika played her best game yesterday, but I think we need to keep in mind that this team is reinventing itself in the middle of the toughest part of its schedule. The beautiful entry passes and motion that we have become accustomed to considering a core part of Connecticut basketball comes with practice. The players know each other, each other's tendencies, and where people like to receive the ball. Now, the team has to work that out in the middle of playing top 20 competition. It is going to have moments where it's going to look rough.

Provided that everyone stays healthy (and if we've learned nothing over the past few years, we have learned that there are no guarantees) the team we are looking at right now is the worst it will be all season long. I have no idea whether we can compete for a national championship this year with the remaining players we have available, but I do know we are going to look a lot smoother and a lot more efficient 30 days from now, and even more 60 days from now. I recommend we be patient and give it time.

Reaction Score
It was 2002-03.
If I remember correctly Taurasi was a junior and the rest of the team was freshmen and sophomores. No seniors on the team, at least not in the regular rotation.

Reaction Score
My forecast was right and wrong. I said Paige had to dominate for us to win, and she did. OMG, did she ever. But I also said her ability to do so would depend on the others scoring effectively. It turns out they didn't and Paige still dominated. So, much as I'd love to toot my own horn, I only deserve half a toot for that one.

I also thought Aubrey would be hard pressed to matchup well against Ustby, and she did very well against her. Though the stats don't really show it, I think Aubrey was instrumental. Also, it didn't hurt that Ustby got 2 quick fouls and sat much of the first half. Otherwise it might have been a rather different game.

Also, Deja Kelly got away with her usual BS hunting fouls, but wasn't able to get enough of an advantage from it. With 6 TOs (thanks mainly to Nika) I think she was a net negative for UNC. And I agree that last blocking foul against Nika was an obvious offensive foul by Kelly.

I was also impressed by Gakdeng, who played pretty well (14 pts on 6-9 with 13 rebounds) before fouling out. One of our Carolina members said in a different thread that she's a top 5 post player, and while that is clearly not true, she is better than I thought. Maybe top 10 or 15. Quick feet and a good positional rebounder.

Finally, we seemed to suffer from the layup-itis of two seasons ago. KK most of all. She has to make those when she breaks her defender down and gets to the rim. There was a stretch when it looked like Paige was trying to give the team a clinic on making layups. And Aaliyah missed a few bunnies, too. I think this is all the consequence of playing an unfamiliar group. In effect, we're playing a pick-up game against coached teams. UNC is not so different from us in that. respect, and that's probably why we prevailed. Paige is simply better than anyone on the other side.

I can't wait for conference play to begin. That's when the freshmen will learn what UConn basketball really is by getting to play a bunch of teams that won't be nearly as challenging as the OOC schedule has been.
Great points. Both teams missed bunnies all game long except Paige, she made everything she shot it seems. I missed bunnies hurt them last year and they do need to clean that up because against good teams they will need every point.

Reaction Score
Excellent post, Bone Dog, except your reference to Nika causing most of Deja's TOs... I found that interesting since, after a re-watch of the game, I came away thinking KK had been covering Deja most of the time, and Nika only sporadically had the assignment.
You’re right. KK was matched up on Kelly at least as much as Nika. The only way to save my misstatement is to say that Nika contributed to some of those turnovers. She had one statement steal at half court, but most of Kelly’s turnovers were bad passes or losing the ball out of bounds. So Nika may have contributed to those by generally ratcheting up the pressure. But KK was mostly the one on her when they occurred.

I also made another misstatement (along with a few other folks) that the missed charge call was Kelly stiff arming Nika. It was actually KK who suffered that injustice. Kelly got away this a couple of times. And rewatching the replay, it occurred to me that there was a bit of frustration in Kelly’s face on both of them.

I don’t need to remind you how much I dislike players who hunt foul calls. Kelly is the worst in D1 for this, and that she’s still doing it as a senior speaks volumes about her. I wonder if she thinks this will work in the W. At least Caitlin and Latson outgrew this tactic after their freshman seasons. But here we have Kelly trying to beat up on a freshman who’s defending her too well. That’s not the height of sportsmanship in my book. Kelly is a great talent whose game is marred by this cheesy behavior.

Edited to add: didn’t Nika have a statement block on one of Kelly’s layup attempts? I’ll have to rewatch the replay yet again to check it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Having read through all the posts I'm in agreement with most of the observations addressing the ups and downs of this well needed win. I'll only add that I was surprised that while there were many comments on how well Paige played, none specifically made mention that she made what seemed like 5 or 6 really high difficulty layups. Her body control and concentration are phenomenal.

One other thing. During the on-court interview of Geno he acknowledged that UNC's height was a problem with his small lineup but that as long the small lineup advantages outweighed going bigger he was fine with going small. For Ice the message is clear - for her to get minutes she will have to prove that a bigger lineup including her and AE is at least as good as the small lineup.
I don't see Ice as a big in any way. She plays around the perimeter and her game is outside shooting. She also looked like she was extremely tired when she was running the floor, maybe she isn't 100% just yet.

Reaction Score
Good game overall. The small lineup works well, but has pitfalls. Lack of rebounding (which obviously comes with the territory with this lineup) really hurt. Second chance points for UNC was crazy. Sometimes it was third chance points.

I worry about Louisville, South Carolina, etc. UConn will get torched on the boards and will cost them in the end.

Whats the fix? I don't know, but this is the dagger IMHO.
Geno is playing the girls who can win now but will not have success against bigger teams. Amari can't be any worse than what Ice has produced and she gives them the height they will eventually need to compete. To me it looks like the prize now is a Big East title not a NC.

Reaction Score
Paige was fantastic just hates she disappears on offense for spurts she just need to be CC at times ..
I sort of agree. I tell myself I’d like to see Paige score 30+ every game. That’s the fan in me. But the assistant coach in me reminds my fan self that Coach P is not just trying to win this early season game. She’s also trying to rebuild the team culture and spirit. If she’d taken every shot and drive she could have, she might have scored 50. But then she’d just be teaching the rest of the team how to watch her score. We all saw how Paige-watching weakened the team her freshman year, and I’m sure she remembers it too. So, I’m good with her scoring 26 and focusing on getting everyone involved.

Reaction Score
He went with eight last night. Aaliyah played the most minutes at 35, followed by Nika and Paige at 33 apiece.
8 is Geno's number! Two of them didn't play very much though.

Reaction Score
UConn played solid on defense and Paige was a little more aggressive with the ball but still not enough to beat really good teams. She was extremely efficient but she needs more than 14 total shots in a game. AE is working hard and getting zero rest by having another BIG in the game and it shows up in her play toward the end of games. The others all contributed last night and gives you confidence UConn will beat good teams that also have to height.

I still don't see how this team can be a serious threat in the big tournament if they refuse to develop a real post presence. In the game yesterday I think if the game had been called even marginally close AE would have fouled out in the third quarter and she was the rebounding for UCONN.

I would love to see any 4 with Amari for a full half of a quarter to see what that looks like but that isn't going to happen.

Reaction Score
The game from a UNC perspective
A pretty fair assessment of the game, I think. They were playing short handed. Of course, to make it really fair, they’d have to be without Ustby, Gakdeng, Paris and Deja Kelly. As it is, they had almost their entire starting lineup and mainly missed rotation players. How would a UNC team led by Lexi Donarski have done in last night’s game?

Reaction Score
This team can't afford to train them during the game. They need to come ready to play and contribute.
tower1- -The coaches may not want to but at this stage they need these 2 to catch on to the college game asap!
Practice vs people you already know doesn't prepare you for different opponents speed and aggression!

CL82

Reaction Score
8 is Geno's number! Two of them didn't play very much though.
True, especially Brady. I'm waiting for the lightbulb to go on for her. She's a talented kid. I suspect we will see a lot of growth in her over the big east season.

Reaction Score
Great needed win. Paige was once again more Paige like. The other players are beginning to learn what they need to be doing when Paige is in the lineup. Most obvious was right after a fantastic block by page where no teammate made any attempt to get the ball she gave them that Paige look that tells them to get it in gear. I loved that. Leadership.

The passes that hit players not looking for the ball has been an issue for a while. It is rare that a pass is made to a cutting player mainly because they often are cutting for no purpose except perhaps to get somewhere else. Cutters are not looking for the ball and are not obviously calling for it. So at this point cutters are being mostly ignored. Needs to change.

This team is beginning to gel with the 6 players getting the most time. Q will get more time once she gets a better defense handle. Ice, like most bigs, will need a bit more time.Ash is the most ready of the rookies and KK is learning fast. This team will be very good.

Reaction Score
You’re right. KK was matched up on Kelly at least as much as Nika. The only way to save my misstatement is to say that Nika contributed to some of those turnovers. She had one statement steal at half court, but most of Kelly’s turnovers were bad passes or losing the ball out of bounds. So Nika may have contributed to those by generally ratcheting up the pressure. But KK was mostly the one on her when they occurred.

I also made another misstatement (along with a few other folks) that the missed charge call was Kelly stiff arming Nika. It was actually KK who suffered that injustice. Kelly got away this a couple of times. And rewatching the replay, it occurred to me that there was a bit of frustration in Kelly’s face on both of them.

I don’t need to remind you how much I dislike players who hunt foul calls. Kelly is the worst in D1 for this, and that she’s still doing it as a senior speaks volumes about her. I wonder if she thinks this will work in the W. At least Caitlin and Latson outgrew this tactic after their freshman seasons. But here we have Kelly trying to beat up on a freshman who’s defending her too well. That’s not the height of sportsmanship in my book. Kelly is a great talent whose game is marred by this cheesy behavior.

Edited to add: didn’t Nika have a statement block on one of Kelly’s layup attempts? I’ll have to rewatch the replay yet again to check it.
Another example of UNC's physicality was the elbow by Ultbsy (spelling? Jersey #1) giving Aaliyah an aggressive
elbow to the ribs in the second half sending Aalilyah to the floor. I looked for it on my second viewing of the game
tape. When I saw / heard the comment from Rebecca I rewound the tape and followed Aaliyah, the uncalled "foul"
was " away from the ball " so, unless you LOOKED for it, it was another example of the hidden BATTLE IN THE PAINT!!
Then again, remember that bloody nose that Aaliyah got in the first half. Aaliyah is one tough Canadian HUSKIE!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom