UCONN - UNC Post game thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UCONN - UNC Post game thread

Reaction Score
Paige made it to 1000 plus points in 55 games..tied with Maya Moore as the fastest to it. The game was up and down in the 1st half, lots of miscommunication, but in the end, we won. This is probably least talented team UConn has had in years, but if every team in the NCAA played our schedule to this point in time, there might not be any undefeated teams.
Good point. Of course with a healthy Jana, Ay, CD and Azzi the schedule would not even be discussed.

Reaction Score
Sloppy game but entertaining. I think some of the turnovers by Paige and Nika were because they were pressing a bit to make big plays. The effort was there by everyone, and that has been lacking in previous games this season. Diving for loose balls, taking chargers, driving to the rim. It was good to see multiple players make threes. Paige looked great scoring from all over. I think they can build off this game.

Reaction Score
I wonder if something is going on with Nika physically. In most games this year, last year's league defensive player of the year has been consistently beaten off the dribble, and not just by the quick players. Paige on the other hand, seems to be able to keep up and put her body in front of the driver.
She is not as quick as last year right now, that is for sure. It is also her judgment on passes though which is a sign of fatigue. On the other hand her shot is the best this year it's ever been and we needed her points today. She could be really physically tired but no rest for the weary until the break beginning December 21.

Reaction Score
Sloppy game but entertaining. I think some of the turnovers by Paige and Nika were because they were pressing a bit to make big plays. The effort was there by everyone, and that has been lacking in previous games this season. Diving for loose balls, taking chargers, driving to the rim. It was good to see multiple players make threes. Paige looked great scoring from all over. I think they can build off this game.
For sure. The keys to me were the return of the dominant AA, the playing time and contributions of KK and Ash in a victory over a ranked team, and the way they started the third quarter which was vintage UCONN. It has to engender confidence.

Reaction Score
My forecast was right and wrong. I said Paige had to dominate for us to win, and she did. OMG, did she ever. But I also said her ability to do so would depend on the others scoring effectively. It turns out they didn't and Paige still dominated. So, much as I'd love to toot my own horn, I only deserve half a toot for that one.

I also thought Aubrey would be hard pressed to matchup well against Ustby, and she did very well against her. Though the stats don't really show it, I think Aubrey was instrumental. Also, it didn't hurt that Ustby got 2 quick fouls and sat much of the first half. Otherwise it might have been a rather different game.

Also, Deja Kelly got away with her usual BS hunting fouls, but wasn't able to get enough of an advantage from it. With 6 TOs (thanks mainly to Nika) I think she was a net negative for UNC. And I agree that last blocking foul against Nika was an obvious offensive foul by Kelly.

I was also impressed by Gakdeng, who played pretty well (14 pts on 6-9 with 13 rebounds) before fouling out. One of our Carolina members said in a different thread that she's a top 5 post player, and while that is clearly not true, she is better than I thought. Maybe top 10 or 15. Quick feet and a good positional rebounder.

Finally, we seemed to suffer from the layup-itis of two seasons ago. KK most of all. She has to make those when she breaks her defender down and gets to the rim. There was a stretch when it looked like Paige was trying to give the team a clinic on making layups. And Aaliyah missed a few bunnies, too. I think this is all the consequence of playing an unfamiliar group. In effect, we're playing a pick-up game against coached teams. UNC is not so different from us in that. respect, and that's probably why we prevailed. Paige is simply better than anyone on the other side.

I can't wait for conference play to begin. That's when the freshmen will learn what UConn basketball really is by getting to play a bunch of teams that won't be nearly as challenging as the OOC schedule has been.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
This wasn't a pretty game, but this was a victory against a good physical team.

I was looking forward to Aubrey vs. Ustby, but also enjoyed Paige vs. Donarski. Both really good two-way players. Gakdeng is a really good player, and she kind of got the better of Edwards in the first half, but Aaliyah came alive in the second. Deja Kelley started off hot, but UConn largely neutralized her in the final three quarters. I was pretty pleased with UConn's defense.

A lot of the wacky passes weren't due solely to the passer, but to the passer and recipient not being on the same page. That's likely due to the frequent changes in lineups and can be fixed with practice.

Reaction Score
Random thoughts:
  • Paige was awesome. Did everything you could ask.
  • Nike hit some huge 3's, but her TOs were painful to watch
  • AE looked both good and bad at times
  • Aubrey made her presence felt, but didn't put up great stats
  • KK played well but too many TOs
  • Shade played well
  • I really think that the key to a deep run in March will be Ice. We need her size to give us 20 productive minutes. Tonight was not it.
  • Someone comments that they have never seen some many missed passes, dropped balls and rebounds tapped out of bounds. I agree.
  • I commented earlier that this was like the opposite of the UCLA game. We won Q1 and Q3 (and the game), just like UCLA.

Reaction Score
This new line up has a whole 2009 and 2010 feel to me. Paige playing the role of Maya Moore. Edwards playing the role of Tina Charles with Griffin playing Kalena Green. Finally Muhl and Arnold trying to be Montgomery. I think the coaches have been watching some classic film....

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
AE48B1C6-B2C1-422C-BA60-A160439F0ED1.jpeg

Reaction Score
I'm not saying they are executing the strategy anywhere near that crew but I see the strategy similarities.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
It seems that N. Carolina has the same problem that we have, no players. NC only played 5 players that scored. But, a win is a win. Ashlynn and KK are still carrying their weight as starters and Paige looked like the Paige in her freshman year. Aaliyah was solid as always and Nika was a scorer Audrey was a contributor also. The defense was good enough to make this win possible. We will get even better and the wins will come.Geno is learning what he has as a team and is now processing his strategy for the season. With his brilliant mind I am sure he will get the max that this team can bring to the table. GO GO GO HUSKIES!!!!
We have to get used to this team not looking on O like past teams. If Ice can figure things out so that we have 2 interior option, the O should looked more familiar. If not, it will be different and with so many freshmen having key roles, it might take some time to smooth out. D will be as important as ever, and boxing out on the defensive boards.

Reaction Score
It seemed to me that this game, against a big, well-coached team, provided an idea of what it will take for this UConn team to win against the good ones (SC excluded, because I believe they are pretty much in their own league this year).
-- Paige playing like the Paige of old.
-- The other players not standing around and watching the above. It is, however, ok if the opponents do.
-- Nika playing better. I know folks here -- me included -- love what she has given the team in her time here, but let's face it. She has been off defensively this year. She still made some goofy plays today, but the three pointers made up for it.
--KK giving all her energy and Ashlynn hitting at least 2-3 threes
-- Aaliyah minimizing errors and continuing to fearlessly go to the hoop.

--

Reaction Score
Besides playing a stellar game today, what impressed me most about Paige was her emotional engagement. She looked involved and displayed the type of emotion that seemed to be missing earlier in the season.

She is so smooth on the court and if she was so inclined, given her offensive skill set, she could easily average 30 per game. Had she not been injured her sophomore year, she would own the record for fastest player to 1000 points in UConn history. When healthy, she is a consistent 20+ per game scorer in addition to the other tangible & intangible assets she brings. Today, she appeared to be operating at a level above every other player on the court.

I have to give a shout out to KK today. She was not intimidated covering a 4-year starter in Deja Kelly, and they had an ongoing war throughout. She gave as well as she took, and there could have been fouls called on every play. Kelly could easily have had 5 offensive fouls.

NC plays ugly and it affected UConn at times, but this was an earned victory. As much as I would like to see Paige take more shots, it's hard to argue with her level of efficiency.

Lastly, it might take Big East games to get Ice Brady going. She needs a couple of games to build her confidence and get some rhythm. Right now, it's a rude welcome to the big leagues. She's taking her lickings, but hopefully she'll come out stronger on the other end.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Negatives:

1. TO's...17 a little on the high side but overall not bad when you think that our point guards (KK and Nika) combined for ten of them. Ice got three of them...that accounts for 13 of our 17 turnovers.

2. Nika was good at times but she was also really bad at times. 4 threes...Yay!; 6 Turnovers...Ouch!

3. We miss a lot of lay-ups and put-backs.

4. We do not play consistently throughout the game...and that 2nd quarter was horrific. Playing most of the 4th quarter with a "milk the clock" mentality in my opinion took the edge off their offense and as a result they went somewhat stale for a long stretch in the quarter.

5. Ice and Samuels are still not consistent; Amari and Bettencourt have been relegated to being practice players and aren't even getting on the court.

6. Playing small means that we give up rebounds...we lost that battle 43 to 33.

Positives:

1. The most obvious we got the win, a quality win against a top 25 team.

2. 8-17 from three...Nika got 4 of them.

3. The defense was exceptional at times. Most of the first quarter and the first two minutes of the 3rd quarter were exceptional...but overall, it was a good defensive game. Going small helps UConn to be faster to the ball.

4. Bueckers looked more like she did her freshmen year except this time around she drove the basket more and finished around the basket despite contact. Made it to 1000 points at a record pace tying Maya Moore. Her efficiency is among the best in WCBB.

5. Aaliyah got another double-double.

6. KK and Ashylynn continue to impress...this time as starters and against a top-25 team.

Reaction Score
My forecast was right and wrong. I said Paige had to dominate for us to win, and she did. OMG, did she ever. But I also said her ability to do so would depend on the others scoring effectively. It turns out they didn't and Paige still dominated. So, much as I'd love to toot my own horn, I only deserve half a toot for that one.

I also thought Aubrey would be hard pressed to matchup well against Ustby, and she did very well against her. Though the stats don't really show it, I think Aubrey was instrumental. Also, it didn't hurt that Ustby got 2 quick fouls and sat much of the first half. Otherwise it might have been a rather different game.

Also, Deja Kelly got away with her usual BS hunting fouls, but wasn't able to get enough of an advantage from it. With 6 TOs (thanks mainly to Nika) I think she was a net negative for UNC. And I agree that last blocking foul against Nika was an obvious offensive foul by Kelly.

I was also impressed by Gakdeng, who played pretty well (14 pts on 6-9 with 13 rebounds) before fouling out. One of our Carolina members said in a different thread that she's a top 5 post player, and while that is clearly not true, she is better than I thought. Maybe top 10 or 15. Quick feet and a good positional rebounder.

Finally, we seemed to suffer from the layup-itis of two seasons ago. KK most of all. She has to make those when she breaks her defender down and gets to the rim. There was a stretch when it looked like Paige was trying to give the team a clinic on making layups. And Aaliyah missed a few bunnies, too. I think this is all the consequence of playing an unfamiliar group. In effect, we're playing a pick-up game against coached teams. UNC is not so different from us in that. respect, and that's probably why we prevailed. Paige is simply better than anyone on the other side.

I can't wait for conference play to begin. That's when the freshmen will learn what UConn basketball really is by getting to play a bunch of teams that won't be nearly as challenging as the OOC schedule has been.
I enjoyed your post but have two thoughts. You simply had it reversed. Paige's ability to score makes the other players effective. Why? First, confidence by osmosis. Second, you are not getting doubled, she is. Third, everyone is watching her. Also, I think this is where the freshman learn UCONN. Not in easy games, but in hard games against the country's best players excluding that guard from Iowa. Losses are deemed to be tragedies by the BY, but for the frosh, they learn. I'm sorry but you don't learn anything by winning easy games just like you shouldn't practice foul shots until you are exhausted.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I'm wondering...we beat a Top 25 team today but will UNC Chapel Hill still be ranked in the Top 25 tomorrow?
Like I said, just wondering...

Reaction Score
Two observations:
1. Paige was great, obviously. But can she survive an entire season getting beat up the way she was this game?

2. UConn as a team looked tired in the fourth quarter. Because they basically played with 6 players? How far can they get playing this way?
How far can they get using six players? We are about to find out because Ice is clearly no where near ready to contribute with and Q has somehow fallen into the doghouse !

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom