UCONN - UNC Post game thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UCONN - UNC Post game thread

Reaction Score
Paige was brilliant. 4 blocks? Who’d a thunk it?

On the negative side, Nika made 4 threes but had 6 turnovers and was beaten on numerous occasions off the dribble defensively.

Great win against a well coached, somewhat depleted NC team.
Nika is passing as if others are paying attention and working like the UConn machines of the past. I don’t fault her for great feeds that were missed by semi-engaged teammates.

Reaction Score
She is not as quick as last year right now, that is for sure. It is also her judgment on passes though which is a sign of fatigue. On the other hand her shot is the best this year it's ever been and we needed her points today. She could be really physically tired but no rest for the weary until the break beginning December 21.
Not sure there has to be a physical explanation for bad plays. Sometimes other players are quicker. Definitely not buying fatigue for turnovers. Fatigue usually shows itself in tired legs and short shots. Her shooting did not deteriorate during the game.

Reaction Score
Negatives:

1. TO's...17 a little on the high side but overall not bad when you think that our point guards (KK and Nika) combined for ten of them. Ice got three of them...that accounts for 13 of our 17 turnovers.

2. Nika was good at times but she was also really bad at times. 4 threes...Yay!; 6 Turnovers...Ouch!

3. We miss a lot of lay-ups and put-backs.

4. We do not play consistently throughout the game...and that 2nd quarter was horrific. Playing most of the 4th quarter with a "milk the clock" mentality in my opinion took the edge off their offense and as a result they went somewhat stale for a long stretch in the quarter.

5. Ice and Samuels are still not consistent; Amari and Bettencourt have been relegated to being practice players and aren't even getting on the court.

6. Playing small means that we give up rebounds...we lost that battle 43 to 33.

Positives:

1. The most obvious we got the win, a quality win against a top 25 team.

2. 8-17 from three...Nika got 4 of them.

3. The defense was exceptional at times. Most of the first quarter and the first two minutes of the 3rd quarter were exceptional...but overall, it was a good defensive game. Going small helps UConn to be faster to the ball.

4. Bueckers looked more like she did her freshmen year except this time around she drove the basket more and finished around the basket despite contact. Made it to 1000 points at a record pace tying Maya Moore. Her efficiency is among the best in WCBB.

5. Aaliyah got another double-double.

6. KK and Ashylynn continue to impress...this time as starters and against a top-25 team.
This has been the pattern for- what?- the past three years?

Reaction Score
And Ice is still not showing up. I'm guessing it's physical.
My guess is that it is a year off, losing your timing, being essentially a freshman, and being a step slower. It will come this year but not for a while.

Reaction Score
One last note: Lexi Donarski played well for UNC, but she was not really comparable to Paige on O or D. She was All defensive player in the Big 12 as a freshman at Iowa St., and all Big 12 team both years. I've mentioned seeing her play in HS against Paige. They seem very similar types, long and tall guards. But once you see them on the same court, the difference between them is startling.

There's a lot to like about Lexi. Paige just has another gear to put the game in, and the talent and moxie to make it work.

Reaction Score
Liked your post tv could not capture how physical
The game was
Your comment re the turnovers was very well said
Re Ms Toomey read that she is redshirting after
Miniscus surgery on same knee she had the acl surgery all very sad

Reaction Score
Shade isn't a perfect player, yet. But she is what UCONN NEEDS --A consistent shooter/scorer. Q isn't far behind.. KK is nearly all I hoped she'd be..
I'd like for Geno to use Shades on a quick down the floor stop and pop. Too often, too much ball movement, for a shot she may (or may not) have as she neared her basket. Her 3 percentage is good.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
There were several ups and downs in the game--and the ref sucked--but overall it was a fun game to attend in person. The crowd was energetic and loud.

I ran into Liya after the game and congratulated her. In her words, "Baby steps."

I saw all 3 games, involving 6 top-25 teams. The MOPs were Betts, PaoPao, and Paige. I thought Pili was clearly the 2nd best player I saw. Latson stood out too. In the S.C. game, they were much better when Fulwiley was on the floor.

Reaction Score
Not sure there has to be a physical explanation for bad plays. Sometimes other players are quicker. Definitely not buying fatigue for turnovers. Fatigue usually shows itself in tired legs and short shots. Her shooting did not deteriorate during the game.
Good point but it is not a jump shot it is a set/push shot and not that taxing physically. It may just be poor judgment, trying to force, and trying to make the perfect pass when only the safe pass is needed which we have seen at times in her career. On the other hand, she was beaten on drives tonight and that is also subject to either explanation and a third one which is that the offensive player was simply quicker.

Reaction Score
This has been the pattern for- what?- the past three years?
Geno believes in passing to get the open shot. Too much passing, in these recent games have led to Turnovers. Even Paige passed to a spot a player had occupied. Good passing requires both the passer and the receiver to know the ball is coming. New kids tend to rush the pass. Both shall settle down.

Reaction Score
Yes, Paige made it happen. Outstanding effort!

Nika definitely had some questionable plays today. But without someone not Paige doing well at the perimeter, this team will have a very hard time winning. And today, the team only made 8 threes and Nika had 4 of those.
I take exception--only Paige doing well on the Perimeter--When Ashlynn Shades got the ball out there she made her shots. She is the kind of player (along with a post) that Uconn needed and needs,

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
Geno believes in passing to get the open shot. Too much passing, in these recent games have led to Turnovers. Even Paige passed to a spot a player had occupied. Good passing requires both the passer and the receiver to know the ball is coming. New kids tend to rush the pass. Both shall settle down.

Reaction Score
I was at the game and it was one of the more physical womens` games I have seen that did not involve UCF. Deja Kelly is especially physical. A lot of wrestling in the post but also a lot of players colliding into each other, getting whacked in the face, and falling to the floor. Our players were usually the ones getting knocked around and we were giving up a lot of size. Not sure television fully captures just how physical it is.

There were times when Aubrey was our biggest player and Nika was guarding a post player. They battled in there though although we did give up a lot of offensive rebounds.

The refs let a lot go and and also called a lot of fouls, but I could not get a sense of what the difference was, where was the line. As others have pointed out, the guy referee is clueless. He was overturned a couple of times and missed a whole lot more.

It seemed like great energy midway through the first quarter and at the beginning of the third quarter, but otherwise the offense seemed somewhat tentative and stagnant. Paige saved us with her ten second quarter points when we really couldn`t get much of anything going. The defensive intensity was there the whole time though, but too many weird, careless, lazy passes where the intensity and purpose was lacking.

Aaliyah came around in the second half but seemed passive on offense in the first half. We need her and Paige to be looking for the basket more.

After listening to the crowd host with the white high heeled boots, I have even more respect for the guy who does the great job at the Gampel and XL games.

It was a good crowd, place was pretty full and obviously pro-UConn. NC had a decent cheering section though behind their bench a couple of sections over from me.

Redshirt Toomey was there on the bench for NC - she looks very tall, probably their tallest player, and looks sturdier than I was expecting. Sigh.

NC is a good borderline top 25 team, will definitely make it into the NCAA tournament, very physical, a veteran team, not great shooters though other than Donarski. I was proud of how our younger players battled against their veterans.

In the end, Paige was the difference.

If we can handle Louisville at XL on December 16 I think we will be stacking wins ahead of the Notre Dame showdown on January 27.
Oh mighty Sultan, what does the “crowd host’s” white boots have to do with his job skills!??

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
Re "Too much passing. . ." I believe I'm seeing too much perimeter passing from our players as they are setting up their offense, passes that do not pose threats to defenses and/or get the ball to a Uconn player in a position to make defensive opponents move and thereby open up lanes for Uconn teammates to cut or dribble into. Doesn't seem to be as many cuts (and therefore passes) into and through the lane that our teams have feasted on in seasons past. My imagination or faulty memory?

Reaction Score
Wow! What a game. I can't wait to watch the replay later. I applaud the effort by the team out there today. I think the starting lineup, I hope it stays, is only going to get better and KK and Shades, their confidence will continue to grow and their shots will fall.

Ice and Q, I was shocked that they did not get back out there a little more in the 2nd half. I just hope that they know that they are valuable to the team and for them to stay ready. Their time will come. Just stay ready and motivated. Make skill development and practice personal.

Paige. This had to be her best game. Her shooting was on point! Her defense was epic. Glad she reached the 1K point mark.

Aaliyah-What a warrior. She was in a battle all game on both ends of the floor. I would have missed that many layups like Aaliyah, after dealing with Gakdeng for 30-40 minutes. Jeez. Those of us that played in the post understand the physical toll it takes on you when you are fighting for position. Aaliyah did pretty well out there holding her own. Great game.

Nika-I don't care what anyone says about this young lady and her shooting or her turnovers. She makes shots and her turnovers; they happen but she makes up for it on the defensive side. I am good with that. It balances out in the end.

Aubrey: I am always impressed with her. Her ability to out jump and get rebounds is crazy. She was able to miss a shot and quickly grab the rebound and put the shot back up. She is incredible.

We have some work to do but we will get better. Like I always say, the goal is to get better each practice and each game. Come March, we should see a much-improved team fighting for the Big East regular season title and conference title.

Good luck on those exams this week and keep your heads up and keep. Go, UConn!

Reaction Score
Nika is passing as if others are paying attention and working like the UConn machines of the past. I don’t fault her for great feeds that were missed by semi-engaged teammates.
I am a Nika fan, but her turnovers were not the result of “great feeds” missed by semi-engaged teammates. She simply made some bad plays. No excuses needed! She more than made up for those with her 3 point shooting!

Reaction Score
Paige was brilliant. 4 blocks? Who’d a thunk it?

On the negative side, Nika made 4 threes but had 6 turnovers and was beaten on numerous occasions off the dribble defensively.

Great win against a well coached, somewhat depleted NC team.
Yes. I have started to wonder if she has a minor injury that she is playing with. Her game is not what it has been in previous seasons. Her shot is good, but I suspect her turnovers are way up, her steals way down, and her assists are not as dominating as usual. She is off. And the team isn't functioning very well on offense with her at point.

Reaction Score
This new line up has a whole 2009 and 2010 feel to me. Paige playing the role of Maya Moore. Edwards playing the role of Tina Charles with Griffin playing Kalena Green. Finally Muhl and Arnold trying to be Montgomery. I think the coaches have been watching some classic film....
It feels a bit more 200
Negatives:

1. TO's...17 a little on the high side but overall not bad when you think that our point guards (KK and Nika) combined for ten of them. Ice got three of them...that accounts for 13 of our 17 turnovers.

2. Nika was good at times but she was also really bad at times. 4 threes...Yay!; 6 Turnovers...Ouch!

3. We miss a lot of lay-ups and put-backs.

4. We do not play consistently throughout the game...and that 2nd quarter was horrific. Playing most of the 4th quarter with a "milk the clock" mentality in my opinion took the edge off their offense and as a result they went somewhat stale for a long stretch in the quarter.

5. Ice and Samuels are still not consistent; Amari and Bettencourt have been relegated to being practice players and aren't even getting on the court.

6. Playing small means that we give up rebounds...we lost that battle 43 to 33.

Positives:

1. The most obvious we got the win, a quality win against a top 25 team.

2. 8-17 from three...Nika got 4 of them.

3. The defense was exceptional at times. Most of the first quarter and the first two minutes of the 3rd quarter were exceptional...but overall, it was a good defensive game. Going small helps UConn to be faster to the ball.

4. Bueckers looked more like she did her freshmen year except this time around she drove the basket more and finished around the basket despite contact. Made it to 1000 points at a record pace tying Maya Moore. Her efficiency is among the best in WCBB.

5. Aaliyah got another double-double.

6. KK and Ashylynn continue to impress...this time as starters and against a top-25 team.
ice has 0 turnovers though

Reaction Score
I am a Nika fan, but her turnovers were not the result of “great feeds” missed by semi-engaged teammates. She simply made some bad plays. No excuses needed! She more than made up for those with her 3 point shooting!
I am Nika fan as well and I disagree. At least 3 of those turnover weren't her fault. and a 4th was questionable. Youve got to be ready to receive the ball at all times. That's called having your head in the game. I don't know what some of those players are thinking about when running down the floor.
Nika played a very good game tonight against a rough team. I seen several times she was knocked down ot hit in the face and there was no call.

Reaction Score
I thought the team won this this game with defense. There are definitely some positives that we're starting to see from inserting the freshman into the starting lineup. KK was excellent on defense today and Ashlynn is very solid. Shade gives the offense the much needed outside threat as well as midrange game. I'd like to see Geno run more plays for her, especially a two man action with her ability to rise and shoot quickly. I also think KK needs to pull up more close to the basket as she is able to penetrate quite well, but finishing has been a problem.

I agree with most others that Ice is the key this year. She is going to be needed for an inside presence as well as shooter at the elbow. Right now she's playing tentative and it's frustrating that she gets the ball and holds and is looking to pass it off first and shoot second. She needs to be aggressive and live with the mistakes.

Our defense is getting better and I think that we will only get better as the season goes on, but I'm excited to see what the product will look like in February going into March. If we can have Muhl, Shade, Q, and maybe Caroline back and contributing as perimeter threats and Ice is giving solid minutes we have a chance to be in the hunt at the end of the season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom