UConn @ Tulane (Thurs. 5/16 @ 7:30p ET, Fri. 5/17 @ 7:30p ET & Sat. 5/18 @ 2p ET) | Page 13 | The Boneyard

UConn @ Tulane (Thurs. 5/16 @ 7:30p ET, Fri. 5/17 @ 7:30p ET & Sat. 5/18 @ 2p ET)

Reaction Score
Let me ask the stupid obvious question

Have we tried either of the Fedko brothers at third base?

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Michigan State somehow took a game from Illinois. That will help our RPI!

I don't expect to sweep today but I have been waiting for this team to make a statement for a while. Let's do this.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
If they do it like basketball, where it's record vs the top teams in the standings:

Houston went 1-2 vs ECU.
Cincy and UConn both went 0-3 vs ECU.
That would make Houston the 2 seed.

Next best would be Tulane, where Cincy went 1-2 so that'd make us the 3 seed and Cincy the 4 seed.

Good info Octavius. I am hoping we end up in Cincy's bracket and avoid ECU and UH.

Reaction Score
Still a possibility for a three way tie where head to head results are all a wash between UConn, Cincinnati, and Houston. I have not seen anything official regarding the tiebreaking procedure if we win and Houston wins causing such scenario.

From the 2017-2018 AAC Tournament Document (unknown if it has been tweaked)

Tie‐Breaking Policies

The following policies are set up to break ties at the end of the regular season for seeding purposes. Follow the appropriate steps in order. Once one or more teams gain an advantage in the case of a multiple‐team tie, revert to the beginning of the tie‐breaking policies with the remaining teams. If the ties cannot be broken, a coin flip will be conducted by the Commissioner or his designee.

Two‐Way Tie
1. Regular season head‐to‐head results.
2. Each team’s combined winning percentage versus the teams ranked higher in the standings.
3. Each team’s winning percentage versus a common opponent that is occupying the highest position in the standings and continuing down through the standings until one team gains an advantage.
NOTE: When arriving at another pair of tied teams while comparing records, use each team's record against the tied teams as a group rather than the performance against the individual tied teams.​
4. Each team’s Overall 24‐game run differential (maximum of three runs per game).
5. Each team’s Overall 24‐game run total (maximum of three runs per game).
6. Each team’s Overall 24‐game runs against (maximum of three runs per game).

Multiple‐Team Tie
1. Teams are viewed as a "mini‐conference" when comparing head‐to‐head results. The team or teams with the best combined record versus the other teams in the mini‐conference gains the advantage.
2. Each team’s combined winning percentage versus the teams ranked higher in the standings.
3. Each team’s winning percentage against a common opponent that is occupying the highest position in the standings, and continuing down through the standings until one team gains an advantage.
NOTE: When arriving at another pair of tied teams while comparing records, use each team's record against the tied teams as a group rather than the performance against the individual tied teams.​
4. Each team’s Overall 24‐game run differential (maximum of three runs per game).

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Let me ask the stupid obvious question

Have we tried either of the Fedko brothers at third base?

I don't think they have the range / athleticism for it (especially fielding bunts).

Reaction Score
Polonia starting today suggests that Wang gets the start on Tuesday.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Polonia starting today suggests that Wang gets the start on Tuesday.
Or maybe he isn't starting and the coaches want him to get used to coming out of the pen? An inning today 20 pitches or less won't affect him for the tournament or any of the pen.

Reaction Score
D3 NCAA regional at Trinity this weekend (right now) for anyone interested. Salve Regina had 6 errors in their loss to Trinity yesterday.

Reaction Score
Polonia starting implies to me this is a bullpen game. I'd be surprised if he's committed to Wang starting the first game given we could still be in a 4 v 5 matchup. But remember -- you need up to 6 games to win a conference championship and that means six starts. Someone can certainly go 2 innings today and still be available to start Saturday or Sunday. And today is still a big game, both to stay out of ECU's side of the bracket and to keep alive the hope for a first round at home if we win the tourney. So while we might not overwork key relievers, we're going to give it our best.

Polonia, Gardner and Simeone for 2 innings each. Mayock for 1. And then it will depend on where the game is.

One last thought -- it's incredibly hard to understand how Gardner's OBA can be so, so good and he gets as few chances as he has gotten. How can you not want to see if he can continue that over more innings?

Reaction Score
Polonia starting implies to me this is a bullpen game. I'd be surprised if he's committed to Wang starting the first game given we could still be in a 4 v 5 matchup. But remember -- you need up to 6 games to win a conference championship and that means six starts. Someone can certainly go 2 innings today and still be available to start Saturday or Sunday. And today is still a big game, both to stay out of ECU's side of the bracket and to keep alive the hope for a first round at home if we win the tourney. So while we might not overwork key relievers, we're going to give it our best.

Polonia, Gardner and Simeone for 2 innings each. Mayock for 1. And then it will depend on where the game is.

Penders in his post game interview w/ Chris Jones above said that we might see 8-9 pitchers today...

Reaction Score
From the 2017-2018 AAC Tournament Document (unknown if it has been tweaked)

Tie‐Breaking Policies

The following policies are set up to break ties at the end of the regular season for seeding purposes. Follow the appropriate steps in order. Once one or more teams gain an advantage in the case of a multiple‐team tie, revert to the beginning of the tie‐breaking policies with the remaining teams. If the ties cannot be broken, a coin flip will be conducted by the Commissioner or his designee.

Two‐Way Tie
1. Regular season head‐to‐head results.
3. Each team’s winning percentage versus a common opponent that is occupying the highest position in the standings and continuing down through the standings until one team gains an advantage.

Multiple‐Team Tie
1. Teams are viewed as a "mini‐conference" when comparing head‐to‐head results. The team or teams with the best combined record versus the other teams in the mini‐conference gains the advantage.
3. Each team’s winning percentage against a common opponent that is occupying the highest position in the standings, and continuing down through the standings until one team gains an advantage.
If I read/ interpret that right, we will be the three seed with a win, regardless of what happens in the Houston game.

Reaction Score
Michigan State somehow took a game from Illinois. That will help our RPI!

I don't expect to sweep today but I have been waiting for this team to make a statement for a while. Let's do this.
Don't forget we did play Illinois also and beat them when they were ranked in top25.

Reaction Score

Who’s Up:
>>Connecticut - Jim Penders’ club headed to the Big Easy this weekend with something to prove. They were a game under .500 in the American and needed some wins. UConn won the series opener over Tulane before clinching a series victory with a 10-6 triumph on Friday. Pat Winkel put together an impressive offensive performance, going 3-for-5 with three RBIs, while David Langer and Anthony Prato each chipped in three-hit performances. UConn now sits at 12-11 in the AAC with an RPI up to 25.<<

Reaction Score

No Christian Fedko for the second day in a row.

Big opportunity game for Langer and Chiovitti to see if they can build off of what they did in the game yesterday.

Reaction Score

One last thought -- it's incredibly hard to understand how Gardner's OBA can be so, so good and he gets as few chances as he has gotten. How can you not want to see if he can continue that over more innings?

I doubt Feole is going to start on Tuesday after going over a 100 pitches on Thursday. I would guess he would start the following game, whether it is on Wednesday or Thursday. I would guess Kersten gets the following game after that. Jimmy Wang last started on Tuesday, which I'm guessing was to get him on target for starting this Tuesday.

Gardner had an injury that kept him out of a weekend series a few weeks ago, so it is possible that Gardner's use has been limited by that injury. Anyway, given that today will be a staff day, I would think that if Gardner is healthy and ready to go he will pitch today.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom