UConn @ Tulane (Thurs. 5/16 @ 7:30p ET, Fri. 5/17 @ 7:30p ET & Sat. 5/18 @ 2p ET) | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UConn @ Tulane (Thurs. 5/16 @ 7:30p ET, Fri. 5/17 @ 7:30p ET & Sat. 5/18 @ 2p ET)

Reaction Score
Good start to the weekend. I trust our pitchers coming up more than Tulane so let's finish this

Reaction Score
Boy that was a game that always seemed like it was going to get away until the final out. Nice stadium, got to sit right behind and little to right of home plate. Could see pitches pretty well, thought ump did a good job.
Early on when got to 4-1 looked like UConn was going to get base runners without many runs and Tulane looked ready to put the game out of reach. Tulane's 3rd basemen's error with 2 outs that set up the 3 run single was a game saver for UConn. That lefty that we hit the home run off of had some good pop on his pitches but UConn players got good swings, not much deception.
Was a really long game, well over 3 hours and until the final out was in question.
Up 8-5 with a man on base the Tulane's big home run hitter hit a ball down the left field line that was plenty long but just went foul. Our closer struck him out next.
UConn's 1st basement may not be hitting much but boy he made some outstanding stretches to complete plays (one especially on the 8th inning double play).
Haven't seen a college game in long time. My fan observation was that both teams put up a lot of tough at bats, pitchers had some serious stuff, lot of clean/good fielding plays. Beating Tulane was a nice win.

Reaction Score
One other thing about Pat Winkel and his bat. He adds a badly needed component to the UConn offense, namely power. Pat is now tied with Woodworth for the team lead in homers at 5. However, due to Pat's various injuries this season, Woodworth has close to double the number of plate appearances over Pat. Winkel is now leading the club in slugging percentage at .476 (Paul Gozzo's is higher, but he is not a regular in the lineup). With Winkel back in the lineup and his bat heating up, it is so nice not to always have to wait for three singles for UConn to score a run. Winkel's on base percentage is also now over .350, which to me is another significant offensive marker.

Reaction Score
3B is the least of my worries. They clearly thought Lucas would be stepping into SS to replace Prato. That was before a year with zero hits and 6 or 7 errors in limited time in the infield. I'd be interested to know that they haven't lost faith, and just view this as someone who pressed too hard not playing every day, or if Penders is worried about it.

Reaction Score
3B is the least of my worries. They clearly thought Lucas would be stepping into SS to replace Prato. That was before a year with zero hits and 6 or 7 errors in limited time in the infield. I'd be interested to know that they haven't lost faith, and just view this as someone who pressed too hard not playing every day, or if Penders is worried about it.

Will Lucas is currently slated to play with the Mystic Schooners this summer. We'll see what sort of summer he has there. If he does well there, then I wouldn't get too concerned. On the other hand, if he has problems there....

Reaction Score
3B has to produce. Hope there’s recruiting targeting that.

2020 Hand of Madison’s Phoenix Billings is a SS/Third Baseman. Classic Penders recruit: Hand’s Phoenix Billings balancing a full plate on baseball diamond and gridiron

Reaction Score
2020 Hand of Madison’s Phoenix Billings is a SS/Third Baseman.

Other possible recruits who play 3B/infield include Todd Petersen, Chris Brown, and Tyler Griggs for the 2020 season at UConn.

Reaction Score
Need a Mike Woody or slugger from California. And lots of development of young arms this year. Need an Ace to pitch Friday’s.

Net net. I like Pender’s wide broader harvest for longer term Team excellence. 2020 looks like we have big questions.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom