UCONN Trustees OK plan to replace Gampel Pavilion court | The Boneyard

UCONN Trustees OK plan to replace Gampel Pavilion court

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Copied this from the men's board. Hope that's ok.

The UConn Board of Trustees took care of its future Wednesday by approving a $688,480 budget to have it replaced. The funds are already in the Athletic Department budget, officials said.

Gampel Pavilion opened in 1990 and still features its original wood court. Because of its age and "current thickness," the floor can no longer be sanded as part of scheduled maintenance and is "beyond its useful life," officials said. Having been sanded and repaired as part of regular maintenance over the past 30-plus years, additional sanding could create risk of exposing the subfloor nails, according to project documents.

This project will include the removal of the existing wood flooring, inspection and repair of the subfloor, installation of a new maple floor system, sanding, finishing and final painting.

University officials are discussing ways to preserve pieces of the flooring.

This is me now - I'd love to see them expand the seating somehow to allow for more seats, AND replace the concrete benches with actual seats that don't hurt to sit on. We have a pretty old fan base (I'm up there too!!)...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Great way to raise $ AND give fans a physical piece of memorabilia to keep forever.
I know you are reading the thread on the men’s board, but it took all of 10 posts or so for a poster to do the math and come out with the breakeven figure so that the new $695,000 court is fully paid for by the sale of the old court sections.

Reaction Score
Will this be named the Geno Auriemma Court? I but his buddy Doug says to him over a glass of wine: "Well, I got a court named after me, and you don't!"

CL82

Reaction Score
Will this be named the Geno Auriemma Court? I but his buddy Doug says to him over a glass of wine: "Well, I got a court named after me, and you don't!"

Tough to name after just one person. When Geno retires I think they should name it Hall of Fame court and put Auriemma’s name under one hoop and Calhoun’s name under the other. Ray, Rebecca, and Swin’s names can be on the sidelines. I suspect will need more space for more additions in the not too distant future.

We have a great and unique history. That is another great way to display it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Tough to name after just one person. When Geno retires I think they should name it Hall of Fame court and put Auriemma under one hoop and Calhoun under the other. Ray, Rebecca, and Swin’s names can be on the sidelines. I suspect will need more space for more additions in the not too distant future.

You mean like Jimmy Hoffa under a goal post? :D

CL82

Reaction Score
You mean like Jimmy Hoffa under a goal post? :D
Lol, fair enough. I edited it for clarity. ;)

Reaction Score
I know you are reading the thread on the men’s board, but it took all of 10 posts or so for a poster to do the math and come out with the breakeven figure so that the new $695,000 court is fully paid for by the sale of the old court sections.
How much do I have to pay for a piece?

CL82

Reaction Score
How much do I have to pay for a piece?
Don’t know what the real number is but to make that math work out so it pays for the court. I think it was something like $154 for a 1’ x 1’ square.

Reaction Score

Just the court? I think a lot of fans would expect the entire pavilion be named after him. Remember when Joe Morrone declined to have the soccer field named after him? Now the entire stadium bears his name.
Despite the fact that Pat Summitt and Coach K have courts named after them Geno deserves a greater honor based on 11 national championships

CL82

Reaction Score
Just the court? I think a lot of fans would expect the entire pavilion be named after him. Remember when Joe Morrone declined to have the soccer field named after him? Now the entire stadium bears his name.
Despite the fact that Pat Summitt and Coach K have courts named after them Geno deserves a greater honor based on 11 national championships
Rename the school, University of Geno?

Reactions: PvP
Reaction Score
a lot less that Geno..........;)
Well, then get Geno to buy you a piece.

After all, with all of the sound coaching advice we BY's regularly supply him with, surely he'd be willing to help each of us acquire our own piece of that old beat-up floor. And hopefully, he'll autograph every last one! :D

CL82

Reaction Score
Does that come with reprinted diplomas?
No, but for 20 bucks, if you send me yours, I’m willing to cross out the University name and write it in with a sharpie.

Reaction Score
Tough to name after just one person. When Geno retires I think they should name it Hall of Fame court and put Auriemma’s name under one hoop and Calhoun’s name under the other. Ray, Rebecca, and Swin’s names can be on the sidelines. I suspect will need more space for more additions in the not too distant future.

Yea I was about to say Calhoun deserves major consideration there as well. Honoring both of them in some way on the new floor makes complete sense to me.

Reaction Score
Do they still have the blue rubbery court from the Fieldhouse?

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
I would like my piece of the floor signed by my favorite non-wall players:

Jamelle Elliot, Carla Berube, Stacy Hansmeyer, Ann Strother, Kelly Faris, Evina Westbrook

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
As an impartial observer, how do you name it after Geno and not include Calhoun? Calhoun-Auriemma Court.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom