UCONN Trustees OK plan to replace Gampel Pavilion court | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UCONN Trustees OK plan to replace Gampel Pavilion court

Reaction Score
I'm still holding out for the D1 NC trophy to named after Geno.
I agree but after he is retired. I get Geno would possibly go along but really believe he would have a hard time accepting The Geno while still actively coaching. That is a non narcissistic avenue to take and sure fire ribbon in the annals of UConn sports history.

Reaction Score
What if Ray Knight offers UConn 100M to put his logo at center court?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
As an impartial observer, how do you name it after Geno and not include Calhoun? Calhoun-Auriemma Court.
The road is named after Calhoun, that should be sufficient.:cool:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
And I agree, they should replace the whole building rather than just the court.

The state owns the land on the corner of 32 and 44 (the old Mansfield training school, then a minimum security prison.) Perfect place - 5 minute shuttle from campus and better roads for out of towners coming to the game. Some of the land is already converted to the Uconn Depot Campus.

Reaction Score
Copied this from the men's board. Hope that's ok.

The UConn Board of Trustees took care of its future Wednesday by approving a $688,480 budget to have it replaced. The funds are already in the Athletic Department budget, officials said.

Gampel Pavilion opened in 1990 and still features its original wood court. Because of its age and "current thickness," the floor can no longer be sanded as part of scheduled maintenance and is "beyond its useful life," officials said. Having been sanded and repaired as part of regular maintenance over the past 30-plus years, additional sanding could create risk of exposing the subfloor nails, according to project documents.

This project will include the removal of the existing wood flooring, inspection and repair of the subfloor, installation of a new maple floor system, sanding, finishing and final painting.

University officials are discussing ways to preserve pieces of the flooring.

This is me now - I'd love to see them expand the seating somehow to allow for more seats, AND replace the concrete benches with actual seats that don't hurt to sit on. We have a pretty old fan base (I'm up there too!!)...

Of course I haven't installed or replaced a hardwood floor since my 20's but---this sounds high, unless structural issues exist and shall be replaced.
I agree, highlighted, seating issues should be addressed within this budget.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Not sure how you'd include future AA's, but it would cool to include their names on the court... maybe alphabetically along the edge of the court.

Reaction Score
Is some commercial mega donor going to have their name & image on the Court ????

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The road is named after Calhoun, that should be sufficient.:cool:
Debatable.

In any event, what if we named Hillside Road “Auriemma Avenue”? That would put Gampel pavilion at the corner of Jim Calhoun Way and Auriemma Avenue. That street sign would be a shot in every broadcast from the day it is put up forward.

Jim gets the road through the athletic campus, including in front of the Werth Center, but Geno gets the main drag through campus.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Debatable.

In any event, what if we named Hillside Road “Auriemma Avenue”? That would put Gampel pavilion at the corner of Jim Calhoun Way and Auriemma Avenue. That street sign would be a shot in every broadcast from the day it is put up forward.

Jim gets the road through the athletic campus, including in front of the Werth Center, but Geno gets the main drag through campus.
Actually that's a humdinger of an idea! Send that suggestion in!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Actually that's a humdinger of an idea! Send that suggestion in!
Thank you. When the time comes, I will.

For what it’s worth, I have been posting about this idea for years on The Boneyard. I’ve already gotten half of it when they named the road through the athletic district “Jim Calhoun Way”. Never underestimate the power of The Boneyard.

1670867002377.png

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom