UConn to use Whitmer AND Boyle on Saturday | The Boneyard

UConn to use Whitmer AND Boyle on Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
From Diaco's press conf today. Whitmer the starter but there are plays for Boyle.

Reaction Score
Diaco is sticking to his plan. As kooky as it may seem to be, he's sticking to it, and really if we do come out, and protect the ball, and not turn it over, and move the chains, and play together as a team, there is no reason we don't have a legit shot at beating Boise, and being 2-1 to end preseason. 2-1 after the first 3 games of this season, would most definitely be marked success.

I'm looking forward to seeing them compete on Saturday.

I can't wait for opening day.

Reaction Score
I just hope he's learned from the BSU game. Redshirt Boyle, give Boyle some snaps...both can be justified with reasonable arguments. But if we're going to play 2 QBs. Please don't make substitutions mid-drive, inside the red zone, etc. Play Whitmer the first half and adjust from there depending on the score. If the game is winnable, maybe we should treat our third pre-season game as our season opener and try to start out 1-0.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Diaco is sticking to his plan. As kooky as it may seem to be, he's sticking to it, and really if we do come out, and protect the ball, and not turn it over, and move the chains, and play together as a team, there is no reason we don't have a legit shot at beating Boise, and being 2-1 to end preseason. 2-1 after the first 3 games of this season, would most definitely be marked success.

I'm looking forward to seeing them compete on Saturday.

I can't wait for opening day.
Defense is important in this game too.

Reaction Score
I just hope he's learned from the BSU game. Redshirt Boyle, give Boyle some snaps...both can be justified with reasonable arguments. But if we're going to play 2 QBs. Please don't make substitutions mid-drive, inside the red zone, etc. Play Whitmer the first half and adjust from there depending on the score. If the game is winnable, maybe we should treat our third pre-season game as our season opener and try to start out 1-0.

Agreed, the guy- diaco - doesn't seem like he's able to take a crap or brush his teeth without a plan, not that is a bad thing, when it comes to having the personality of a football coach, so I'm sure he's thought about his long term plan for a long time, and reviewed in revised it up and down three times in every direction, and he's sticking with the systems and plan he had for the season, and we are in game 3, of phase 1.

The key, is in games, in the season, during game time - the flexibility and being able to deviate from a plan, and still accomplish a goal, when circumstances come up that inevitably get in the way - like a daughter, or wife, in the bathroom taking forever when you need to take a crap, or a brush your teeth, for example, shiiiite will happen during a game, and you need to be able to adapt the plan, to overcome.

seeing the players improve is absolutely necessary, but part of the 'competing' I'm excited to see, is about the coach learning and improving too. Make decisions that give you chance to put points up and win the game. QB substitution patterns, definitely fits that.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Agreed, the guy- diaco - doesn't seem like he's able to take a crap or brush his teeth without a plan, not that is a bad thing, when it comes to having the personality of a football coach, so I'm sure he's thought about his long term plan for a long time, and reviewed in revised it up and down three times in every direction, and he's sticking with the systems and plan he had for the season, and we are in game 3, of phase 1.

The key, is in games, in the season, during game time - the flexibility and being able to deviate from a plan, and still accomplish a goal, when circumstances come up that inevitably get in the way - like a daughter, or wife, in the bathroom taking forever when you need to take a crap, or a brush your teeth, for example, shiiiite will happen during a game, and you need to be able to adapt the plan, to overcome.

seeing the players improve is absolutely necessary, but part of the 'competing' I'm excited to see, is about the coach learning and improving too. Make decisions that give you chance to put points up and win the game. QB substitution patterns, definitely fits that.

Signed, Carl, Comma Crazy, Spackler,
:)

Reaction Score
well he's dedicated to his plan, I'll give him that. Still can't say I love a tandem QB strategy though.

Reaction Score

So if Whitmer kills all 1st quarter drives with overthrows and panicked scrambles should we still trot him out there in the 2nd quarter? I'll give you the 1st quarter but no reason to throw away a full half if we get more of the same from him.

That's not saying that Boyle will be better but Whitmer has proven time and again what type of QB he is. If I'm coach he gets one quarter to prove us wrong and then I'm going with developing my young QB.

Reaction Score
So if Whitmer kills all 1st quarter drives with overthrows and panicked scrambles should we still trot him out there in the 2nd quarter? I'll give you the 1st quarter but no reason to throw away a full half if we get more of the same from him.

That's not saying that Boyle will be better but Whitmer has proven time and again what type of QB he is. If I'm coach he gets one quarter to prove us wrong and then I'm going with developing my young QB.

You did watch Boyle play last season right? Or no? Bias exists here, for some reason. Without a doubt. Last season it was pretty clear after a very short time on the field, that leaving Boyle in the game, was potentially a hell of lot more damaging to development, than playing him, would be beneficial. I would think that the cautious approach, rather than the dumping in the fire, approach would be a good way to demonstrate learning from past mistakes.

I actually don't want to see him at all, yet, but Diaco has a plan.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
You did watch Boyle play last season right? Or no? Bias exists here, for some reason. Without a doubt. Last season it was pretty clear after a very short time on the field, that leaving Boyle in the game, was potentially a hell of lot more damaging to development, than playing him, would be beneficial. I would think that the cautious approach, rather than the dumping in the fire, approach would be a good way to demonstrate learning from past mistakes.

I actually don't want to see him at all, yet, but Diaco has a plan.
The fanbase's favorite QB is usually the one that gets the least snaps.

Reaction Score

If you're going to attempt a conversation, be honest.

You wouldn't give Whitmer any quarters.

Reaction Score
Boyle was definitely I overmatched in his last two games but he did well enough to win the usf game if there weren't so many dropped balls

Reaction Score
well he's dedicated to his plan, I'll give him that. Still can't say I love a tandem QB strategy though.
I agree. My gut tells me he doesn't think the quarterback we need to really become a solid program is on campus right now. Or maybe just isn't eligible yet. He can go with the 2-headed quarterback because he doesn't really care if Boyle's red-shirt is or isn't preserved. He's looking for a different style of qb anyway to run his offense. When he had Cochran and Whitmer, he played them because they were better. Now he plays Boyle because he is #2.

Reaction Score
The 3 games Boyle played last season were USF, UCF, and Cincy.

USF we lost by 3 points. Parker, and Foxx dropped TD passes, and many others were dropped as well. That should have been a 2 TD win by us. We had about 150 rushing yards that game.

UCF and Cincy were 2 of the best defenses we played all year, and they smoked us (like buffalo did). We scored 16 and 17 respectively.

He wasn't great, or even good, but theres no reason he won't be better now than he was then. Normal 1st to 2nd year progression, better OL (i really do think so), better coaching, and a team that won't quit on itself when we go down by a TD because it hates football because the coaches are such morons.

I'm excited to see him out there, and I look forward to him gaining experience in a year where other than a couple wins here or there, experience for next season is quite possibly the best we can hope for (now).

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Boyle was definitely I overmatched in his last two games but he did well enough to win the usf game if there weren't so many dropped balls

How many dropped passes that game? I guess you could be right that he did well enough to win the usf game - he only had 28 incompletions and a back that went for 150+.

C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT QBR
T. Boyle 15/43 149 3.5 0 0 15.2
CAR YDS AVG TD LG
L. McCombs 20 164 8.2 1 52

Whitmer probably would have won that game...

I must be blind - I am not a scout or a football coach - just a BY poster.

Reaction Score

And then he became a punching bag for opposing defenses because of poor blocking. A highly managed true frosh who came from a HS powerhouse that imposed their will on teams had little chance of adjusting to that pressure of desperate coaches trying to catch lightning in a bottle. They either didn't know their player or didn't care. Casey should have gotten the call but fast forward.

We're desperate again but the difference is another year to adjust to everything and hopefuly some better coaching. We haven't seen much change in Chandler but that could be somewhat expected. Plays hard but has some limitations. Boyle has less limitations except the mental aspect. If he can settle down, allow himself to be less than perfect and get even moderately better protection and playcalling than last year we have something to build on. That's a lot of ifs but the alternative is just muddling through and watchng the place empty out as the season winds down with a whimper. We can't have that.

Reaction Score
The 3 games Boyle played last season were USF, UCF, and Cincy.

USF we lost by 3 points. Parker, and Foxx dropped TD passes, and many others were dropped as well. That should have been a 2 TD win by us. We had about 150 rushing yards that game.

UCF and Cincy were 2 of the best defenses we played all year, and they smoked us (like buffalo did). We scored 16 and 17 respectively.

He wasn't great, or even good, but theres no reason he won't be better now than he was then. Normal 1st to 2nd year progression, better OL (i really do think so), better coaching, and a team that won't quit on itself when we go down by a TD because it hates football because the coaches are such morons.

I'm excited to see him out there, and I look forward to him gaining experience in a year where other than a couple wins here or there, experience for next season is quite possibly the best we can hope for (now).

If those guys dropped passes from Whitmer imagine how awful his numbers would look. Oh wait.

Boyle played in 4 games last year (5 if you count the one meaningless snap against Memphis) not 3. Saying he wasn't great, or even good, is like saying Pasqualoni wasn't great, or even good.

He had the worst numbers in college football. As bad as Whitmer has been, his career QB rating is 112, Boyle's is 71.

Let that sink in. Whitmer's rating is a full 40 points higher than Boyle's. He played some tough teams in 2012, Michigan was a top 30 team last year.

The only justification for burning a redshirt "for a couple wins here or there" is to give Boyle some snaps in case Whitmer gets hurt. If we're a 3 win team, why play him? Suffer through Whitmer's last year, and that way Boyle has 3 left to play where we hope to be recruiting better players and coaching them up.

You can't assume Boyle will be better with 9 games, particularly, 9 games played on a bad team. Every year we're wondering who the next good QB is going to be, and every year this board concludes it's one of the backups.

Diaco is going to play him, and with Whitmer's history, that's probably the right thing to do. But saying "no reason he won't be better now" or describing his play as "not great or even good", is simple fantasy.

Reaction Score
How many dropped passes that game? I guess you could be right that he did well enough to win the usf game - he only had 28 incompletions and a back that went for 150+.

C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT QBR
T. Boyle 15/43 149 3.5 0 0 15.2
CAR YDS AVG TD LG
L. McCombs 20 164 8.2 1 52

Whitmer probably would have won that game...

I must be blind - I am not a scout or a football coach - just a BY poster.

Quite a few actually. I did an entire play by play on it and the numbers and final score come out quite differently.

http://the-boneyard.com/threads/a-different-take-on-the-numbers.45472/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member