UConn to use Whitmer AND Boyle on Saturday | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn to use Whitmer AND Boyle on Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
How many dropped passes that game? I guess you could be right that he did well enough to win the usf game - he only had 28 incompletions and a back that went for 150+.

C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT QBR
T. Boyle 15/43 149 3.5 0 0 15.2
CAR YDS AVG TD LG
L. McCombs 20 164 8.2 1 52

Whitmer probably would have won that game...

I must be blind - I am not a scout or a football coach - just a BY poster.
Don't forget that he also got stripped and USF ran the ball back for a score. And he didn't have 28 passes dropped as some would like you to believe. If he plays I hope he looks like Brady out there, but there is zero reason to expect that will happen. If it does its a bonus.

One other thing. How come when the guy you like has passes dropped it proves how great he is, but when the other guy has passes dropped, and our guys dropped at least 5 against Stony Brook, it doesn't count. Its like Palatine's interception meter. He was always giving the opponents credit for dropped INTs that Frazer threw but when Endres had one dropped it was just an incompletion.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Don't forget that he also got stripped and USF ran the ball back for a score. And he didn't have 28 passes dropped as some would like you to believe. If he plays I hope he looks like Brady out there, but there is zero reason to expect that will happen. If it does its a bonus.

And USF missing starting QB and RB for the game - our RB had a career day.
Hey dont get it wrong I want the W - I just dont see Boyle as the answer like you as well. If he is FANTASTIC that is FANTASTIC. I hope me and Coach D got it wrong and he is the answer now - if they decide that.

Reaction Score

One other thing. How come when the guy you like has passes dropped it proves how great he is, but when the other guy has passes dropped, and our guys dropped at least 5 against Stony Brook, it doesn't count. Its like Palatine's interception meter. He was always giving the opponents credit for dropped INTs that Frazer threw but when Endres had one dropped it was just an incompletion.

Palatine still blames Frazer for the pick six against OU in the Fiesta Bowl despite the fact it hit our WR in the numbers, bounced out of his hands and right to the OU DB who ran it back.

Reaction Score
That ends the Redshirt debate (not on the BY) - I am behind the coach.
#HuskyUp

What debate? I'm not sure that I saw anyone saying that with Cochran out we should try to get through the entire year with just Whitmer...

Reaction Score
BRING BACK ENDRES.

Kid couldbn't stay clean. Had some moments of impressive play during his time at Uconn. Too bad he couldn't quit with the weed I think it was.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
What debate? I'm not sure that I saw anyone saying that with Cochran out we should try to get through the entire year with just Whitmer...
The upcoming debate...give it time. Always in a hurry you attorneys!
:)

Reaction Score
Kid couldbn't stay clean. Had some moments of impressive play during his time at Uconn. Too bad he couldn't quit with the weed I think it was.

Nah I know, I just think it's silly to drug test for recreational drugs. It's okay to get wasted but not get baked?

If anything, being a great football player while getting stoned all the time is more impressive.

Reaction Score
I agree. My gut tells me he doesn't think the quarterback we need to really become a solid program is on campus right now. Or maybe just isn't eligible yet. He can go with the 2-headed quarterback because he doesn't really care if Boyle's red-shirt is or isn't preserved. He's looking for a different style of qb anyway to run his offense. When he had Cochran and Whitmer, he played them because they were better. Now he plays Boyle because he is #2.

Reflected in the Qbs he has brought in, Their measurables seem to be stereotypical with what is being looked for currently in CFB. Davis is in his third year of a spread program and ran for more yards than passed.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/football/columns/story?id=4324410

Reaction Score
Nah I know, I just think it's silly to drug test for recreational drugs. It's okay to get wasted but not get baked?

If anything, being a great football player while getting stoned all the time is more impressive.

It is silly, but it tells us about his judgement. You know you can't smoke weed. You know you're going to be drug tested. You know if you smoke weed and get drug tested, you can't play. So you smoke weed and fail repeated drug tests.

It's dumb, and while he was likely our best QB since Dan O. It's obvious that Edsall wasn't the only one keeping him off the field.

Reaction Score
If those guys dropped passes from Whitmer imagine how awful his numbers would look. Oh wait.

Boyle played in 4 games last year (5 if you count the one meaningless snap against Memphis) not 3. Saying he wasn't great, or even good, is like saying Pasqualoni wasn't great, or even good.

He had the worst numbers in college football. As bad as Whitmer has been, his career QB rating is 112, Boyle's is 71.

Let that sink in. Whitmer's rating is a full 40 points higher than Boyle's. He played some tough teams in 2012, Michigan was a top 30 team last year.

The only justification for burning a redshirt "for a couple wins here or there" is to give Boyle some snaps in case Whitmer gets hurt. If we're a 3 win team, why play him? Suffer through Whitmer's last year, and that way Boyle has 3 left to play where we hope to be recruiting better players and coaching them up.

You can't assume Boyle will be better with 9 games, particularly, 9 games played on a bad team. Every year we're wondering who the next good QB is going to be, and every year this board concludes it's one of the backups.

Diaco is going to play him, and with Whitmer's history, that's probably the right thing to do. But saying "no reason he won't be better now" or describing his play as "not great or even good", is simple fantasy.

Ok, we get it, receivers dropped passes that Whitmer threw. They dropped passes that everyone threw. We don't have great receivers. We all get it, you can stop saying it now.

I absolutely CAN assume Boyle will be better with these upcoming games. He was a true frosh last season. Now he's not. Basic math will tell you that he will be 1 year of strength training, adjusting to college life, and maturity better.

Last season Boyle played in 4 games (my bad on the 3). He was bad. He was a true frosh.
Last season Whitmer played in 4 games. He was bad. He was a RS Junior. He lost to an FCS team.

One player can improve, and if were lucky, become a good QB. The other is who he is, and who he is isn't good either.

Reaction Score
Ok, we get it, receivers dropped passes that Whitmer threw. They dropped passes that everyone threw. We don't have great receivers. We all get it, you can stop saying it now.

I absolutely CAN assume Boyle will be better with these upcoming games. He was a true frosh last season. Now he's not. Basic math will tell you that he will be 1 year of strength training, adjusting to college life, and maturity better.

Last season Boyle played in 4 games (my bad on the 3). He was bad. He was a true frosh.
Last season Whitmer played in 4 games. He was bad. He was a RS Junior. He lost to an FCS team.

One player can improve, and if were lucky, become a good QB. The other is who he is, and who he is isn't good either.
LMAO

Whitmer lost to an FCS team? Did you watch their offensive and defensive lines manhandle ours? I'm sure Whitmer was to blame.

It's amazing that Whitmer can't get back to what he was or better but we should assume Boyle will be better. Whitmer has improved on his interceptions.

Funny how guys stop developing as seniors in college, right Tom Brady?

Bonehead

Reaction Score

Whitmer didnt lose to an FCS Team - UConn did.
If you look, his numbers were not bad first three games - Buffalo was a disaster.
I guess it was Whitmers fault too for missing takcles and not defending the pass against Townson, Maryland and Buffalo and giving up on avg 30+ a game.
You think Boyle is the answer - our coaching staff doesnt. I dont know what to tell you.

Never Assume - you make an ass out of u and me.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Reflected in the Qbs he has brought in, Their measurables seem to be stereotypical with what is being looked for currently in CFB. Davis is in his third year of a spread program and ran for more yards than passed.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/football/columns/story?id=4324410
That is EXACTLY what I think Diaco is looking for in his quarterback. None of the current crop really has that, including Cochran. P brought in Pro-style guys. What Cochran brought to the table that the others don't is the ability to make quick decisions and hit the open receiver. That is why I say the guy he wants isn't available right now so in a sense it doesn't matter who he uses. Really, I am guessing that Diaco is just trying to get through this year at quarterback and then he'll move on to try and land his type of player in his type of offense.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Whitmer didnt lose to an FCS Team - UConn did.
If you look, his numbers were not bad first three games - Buffalo was a disaster.
I guess it was Whitmers fault too for missing takcles and not defending the pass against Townson, Maryland and Buffalo and giving up on avg 30+ a game.
You think Boyle is the answer - our coaching staff doesnt. I dont know what to tell you.

Never Assume - you make an ass out of u and me.

Our coaching staff thinks Boyle is at least part of the answer. Look at the title of this thread for a hint at why that might be.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
What a great idea, waste the kids redshirt 2 years in a row. Aren't we great? But seriously Boyle was worse than Whitmer last year, whatever makes people think we can win with him right now, I will never know. He showed us no reason to play him this season last year, and if he were better then Whitmer, he wouldn't have been redshirted. I will root for Uconn until my death, but this is a very questionable move to say the least. Please prove me wrong coach D

Bonehead

Reaction Score
Our coaching staff thinks Boyle is at least part of the answer. Look at the title of this thread for a hint at why that might be.
Ah - becasue Cochran got hurt...He wasnt part of the answer until then. The plan was the redshirt him. Now the plan is to get him a couple of snaps in case Whitmer goes down with injury.
Think its going to be 51/49??
Thats like having a second option for a prom date in case the first one ends up with herpes.

Reaction Score

I actually was. I just don't get the QB rotation. I don't like it. It makes absolutely no sense to me, especially when you have two QB's that are running similar sets - I can actually come up with a justification for substituting QB's when they are going to run vastly different offensive packages - and I've debated a while how to write that, with the hope of not dredging up the past. Because if you are going to run two basically different offensive sets, you need a TON of practice time, beyond what's allowed in college football, I think. If you are running the same stuff, basically, with different QB's? I don't get it.

To me, the best course of action is to pick your #1 QB on the field, and play him. Period. End of story. #2, gets practice reps, and prepares, as a #2. One snap away, at any time. But I also freely admit, that doesn't mean it doesn't work, or can't work, what we're doing, and it's really clear now, that Diaco has no intentions to deviate from his long term plan, so we can all just hope that it's a good long term plan.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I actually was. I just don't get the QB rotation. I don't like it. It makes absolutely no sense to me, especially when you have two QB's that are running similar sets - I can actually come up with a justification for substituting QB's when they are going to run vastly different offensive packages - and I've debated a while how to write that, with the hope of not dredging up the past. Because if you are going to run two basically different offensive sets, you need a TON of practice time, beyond what's allowed in college football, I think. If you are running the same stuff, basically, with different QB's? I don't get it.

To me, the best course of action is to pick your #1 QB on the field, and play him. Period. End of story. #2, gets practice reps, and prepares, as a #2. One snap away, at any time. But I also freely admit, that doesn't mean it doesn't work, or can't work, what we're doing, and it's really clear now, that Diaco has no intentions to deviate from his long term plan, so we can all just hope that it's a good long term plan.

+1

Reaction Score
I am wondering If the quarterback rotation is for the health of the qb. Gulp

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
The only justification for burning a redshirt "for a couple wins here or there" is to give Boyle some snaps in case Whitmer gets hurt. If we're a 3 win team, why play him? Suffer through Whitmer's last year, and that way Boyle has 3 left to play where we hope to be recruiting better players and coaching them up.
You play Boyle so he can learn the offense. This is the new regime and playcalling. WHy not let him learn it now. What good does it to keep trotting Whitmer out there? I can't see any positives. Boyle can learn this year and be a solid starter, hopefully, next year now that he's had a year of the new offense under his belt. That's why you play Boyle.

Reaction Score
Agreed, the guy- diaco - doesn't seem like he's able to take a crap or brush his teeth without a plan, not that is a bad thing, when it comes to having the personality of a football coach, so I'm sure he's thought about his long term plan for a long time, and reviewed in revised it up and down three times in every direction, and he's sticking with the systems and plan he had for the season, and we are in game 3, of phase 1.

The key, is in games, in the season, during game time - the flexibility and being able to deviate from a plan, and still accomplish a goal, when circumstances come up that inevitably get in the way - like a daughter, or wife, in the bathroom taking forever when you need to take a crap, or a brush your teeth, for example, shiiiite will happen during a game, and you need to be able to adapt the plan, to overcome.

seeing the players improve is absolutely necessary, but part of the 'competing' I'm excited to see, is about the coach learning and improving too. Make decisions that give you chance to put points up and win the game. QB substitution patterns, definitely fits that.

The Army has this thing about "Plans."

It sorta goes, Battle Plans (Doctrine) assume flat terrain and perfect weather. Then reality hits. A hill pops up, it rains/snows or gets otherwise sloppy, and ordinance starts booming, popping and snapping. Everything that follows is deemed to be a "Field Expedient Adaptation."

Even in the corporate world, the most detailed Plans sometimes become little more than a reference or foundation for tracking necessary reactions or adaptations to reality. Be flexible, when necessary, Coach RD.

Reaction Score
I am not a fan of a 2 qb rotation. Having said that,

1. CFB is the only level at which a #2 qb gets no game reps., other than in a mop-up role. Youth leagues, HS, and NFL have scrimmages/pre-season. Practicing w/a red jersey in a 7-7 or hard touch/no tackle setting is NOT experience. I have no qualms about the new staff playing a lot of guys at a lot of positions to determine who can make plays in a game - they are still trying to figure out what they have and what they need. Had they not, we might not have seen much of the 2 fresh LBs or Bllom at TE, etc. (Besides, some guys play better in games than in practice (and worse) - there have been numerous debates here about why guys with poor practice habits could not get on the field, w/Easley being Exhibit A.)
2. If my math is correct, Whitmer has had as many concussions as CC.
3. CW is what he is. Its Y3 and he still shows happy feet, bad mechanics, still holds on to the ball too long, etc. He is a lot of things; he is not Tom Brady. He can look great for a few plays and then look downright bad the next. If he catches lightning in a bottle over the course of this year I'll be ecstatic, mostly for him. I'd settle for him consistently planting his front foot in the direction of the receiver before he throws.
4. The plan has been laid out clearly, it is not a short term plan, but a long one. The staff wanted TB to regain a RS year. None of us knows that decision equated to CC or Whitmer being better. It could very much been the thinking that CC and CW were merely a bridge to a longer-term solution. We don't know. Assuming the staff thought Whitmer is/was/maybe better because they played him this year is an assumption.

Reaction Score
What a great idea, waste the kids redshirt 2 years in a row. Aren't we great? But seriously Boyle was worse than Whitmer last year, whatever makes people think we can win with him right now, I will never know. He showed us no reason to play him this season last year, and if he were better then Whitmer, he wouldn't have been redshirted. I will root for Uconn until my death, but this is a very questionable move to say the least. Please prove me wrong coach D

It makes sense. Whitmer is gone after this year. Boyle instantly becomes the most experienced QB on the roster. Take advantage of the opportunity to get him snaps.

Reaction Score
Boy a LOT of BYers are going to eat crow after this Boise game.

I am solidly in the camp that TB will perform better than last year and will make headway and be our starter by the Temple game, bringing this program back from the dumpster.

Now the ones quoting copious statistics from TB's games as a young unprepared freshman last year (against very strong competition) will be served the dish cold. I do admire their memory of the statistics, I for one have erased them from my mind. They mean nothing.

If for some reason Whitmer plays lights out, and TB is bad, I will gladly eat two helpings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom