UConn to the NBE? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn to the NBE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There is no future for “basketball schools.”

I’m not agreeing or disagreeing with this statement; but, I think put into larger context; there are just as many, if not more people, who think the future of college football is on just as shaky ground.

Honestly the future of college sports - and higher ed as a whole, as we know it - is uncertain.

Reaction Score
So that prevents it from ever being true in the future? You’re really making UConn’s young alumni look good with those reasoning skills.
I've been hearing for years that the p5 teams are going to breakaway. When is it going to happen?

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
I've been hearing for years that the p5 teams are going to breakaway. When is it going to happen?
They essentially already have... look at the monetary disparity. Non P5 won't be able to keep up with salaries, facilities, etc.

Reaction Score
I’m not agreeing or disagreeing with this statement; but, I think put into larger context; there are just as many, if not more people, who think the future of college football is on just as shaky ground.

Honestly the future of college sports - and higher ed as a whole, as we know it - is uncertain.

Just wondering: if there's no Higher Ed., then... what replaces it?

Reaction Score

You don't see the irony in asking this question in a thread about dismantling the football team?

We are fast moving to pay-for-play. Schools are going to start surrendering.

Reaction Score
Just wondering: if there's no Higher Ed., then... what replaces it?

I’m not saying higher ed will go away, far from it. I think there’s a chance that it transitions away from the classic campus-based experience and towards more online classes.

Furthermore, I think we’re going to see more and more smaller, expensive private schools fade away. Which helps @Stainmaster ’s point, although it really has nothing to do with the football/basketball school split.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
In what way? From whom?

"Power 5" is a football term. In a perfect world, should the schools making up those conferences break away from the auspices of the NCAA, they will should also forfeit access to the NCAA basketball tournament (the event from which the NCAA makes more than a fair portion of their money), and will probably need to pay the players a far sight more than a stipend for books an/or housing. This is the very moment where the business model fails. This is the very moment where "college" is crossed out in favor of the term "minor league." Don't think the powers that be aren't the least bit cognizant of that.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
In what way? From whom?

"Power 5" is a football term. In a perfect world, should the schools making up those conferences break away from the auspices of the NCAA, they will should also forfeit access to the NCAA basketball Tournament(the event from which the NCAA makes more than a fair portion of their money), and will probably need to pay the players a far sight more than a stipend for books an/or housing. This is the very moment where the business model fails. This is the very moment where "college" is crossed out in favor of the term "minor league." Don't think the powers that be aren't the least bit cognizant of that.

They’ll have their own postseason tournament and full control over the media rights. They also shouldn’t have problems with ponying up for players and providing them with significant benefits. That’s why they’ve been taking steps to separate themselves already.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
People have been predicting the death of the Big East since it split. The only thing that is dying is UConn's athletic program. In a stunning development, joining a southern mid-major conference focused on football and led by compass schools with massive enrollments was a bad fit for UConn sports. Who could have predicted that?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
People have been predicting the death of the Big East since it split. The only thing that is dying is UConn's athletic program. In a stunning development, joining a southern mid-major conference focused on football and led by compass schools with massive enrollments was a bad fit for UConn sports. Who could have predicted that?

People predict many things that didn’t come true immediately. What does that have to do with anything?

Reaction Score
In what way? From whom?

"Power 5" is a football term. In a perfect world, should the schools making up those conferences break away from the auspices of the NCAA, they will should also forfeit access to the NCAA basketball tournament (the event from which the NCAA makes more than a fair portion of their money), and will probably need to pay the players a far sight more than a stipend for books an/or housing. This is the very moment where the business model fails. This is the very moment where "college" is crossed out in favor of the term "minor league." Don't think the powers that be aren't the least bit cognizant of that.

The “Power 5” are not going to break away. This exists only as a matter of fact out come on the Boneyard - and not a single place else.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
They’ll have their own postseason tournament and full control over the media rights. They also shouldn’t have problems with ponying up for players and providing them with significant benefits. That’s why they’ve been taking steps to separate themselves already.

They can take whatever steps they want up to, but excluding, separation because the moment they do, the players will no longer be considered "amateur" on paper and media money will dry up, because interest will dry up. In North America, spectator sports are popular because those playing them are the best. The NBA are the best basketball players in the world. NHL? The same. MLB? The best. NFL? No contest. People watch college football because the players are the best under a ceiling that prevents them from try their talents in the NFL until 3 years after high school graduation.

NCAA revenue generating sports are a pro feeder system. Why would the NFL pay for free development? Even the NBA said absolutely not to 18 year old kids making 8 figures. Prove a year in the G League (A pittance of coins, but no exposure) or as a Duke freshman (exposure with potential for windfall.).

A league tried to become the NFL's farm system a few months ago, and one is about to within the next few. Both were and are looking for some sort of adoption by the NFL, who told (are telling) them to pi$$ up a rope. Heck, the NFL disbanded their own farm system (NFL Europe) because better and younger talent was coming out of college.

In a perfect world, that would not change. Otherwise, you get what you have between MiLB and the AHL vs. the college system, where neither the minor leagues nor the college conferences get the fat media rights, because he best players are scattered throughout multiple leagues.

Right now, the P5 are pigs. They complete the severe? They instantaneously become hogs.

I guess all that being said, if UConn does not get a spot along the trough AND the P5 remain pigs, then yeah. I hope the P5 does separate. Blow the whole thing up.

Reaction Score
To CT sports writers:

UConn is good at football

It's all good now

If a recruit reads this board and decides not to come here because of negative posts then we don’t want him.
Um, people come here and set the vibe for the programs. Waaaaaaa! Georgetown! Waaaaaaa! While the best kids want to play for P5 schools as proven over and over again.

Remember there was an article about dropping football in the Courant not long ago because of douchenozzles like you?

Reaction Score
The Autonomous Five have already broken away...for all intents.

The autonomy measures -- which the power conferences had all but demanded -- will permit those leagues to decide on things such as cost-of-attendance stipends and insurance benefits for players, staff sizes, recruiting rules and mandatory hours spent on individual sports.

A new 80-member voting panel, which will include 15 current players, will determine autonomous policies for the five leagues. The power conferences will also carry more voting power on general NCAA matters. Athletic directors will have a much larger representation than before, when presidents mostly controlled the system. Rice's Leebron called the new governance structure a "shift of responsibility" and a "huge vote of confidence" in the athletic directors and players.

Reaction Score
Shut up.

Reaction Score
I’m not saying higher ed will go away, far from it. I think there’s a chance that it transitions away from the classic campus-based experience and towards more online classes.

Furthermore, I think we’re going to see more and more smaller, expensive private schools fade away. Which helps @Stainmaster ’s point, although it really has nothing to do with the football/basketball school split.

The small private schools are at death's door, really. The only thing that is keeping them afloat right now is the refusal to open more seats at state schools.

I am sure there are ways to transition to a beneficial online class experience (but right now, the data shows online ed has been a big failure because they haven't reimagined education for the space). That being said, there's such a scarcity of resources that you'd have to divert them and spend an enormous amount to create that digital platform. The educational sector is not up to it. The state sector isn't up to it. The private sector isn't up to it. And by the time anyone really spends that money to develop it, there won't be enough people trained in their specialities to make it even worthwhile. Maybe Bill Gates will save us... but he hasn't yet.

Reaction Score
Um, people come here and set the vibe for the programs. Waaaaaaa! Georgetown! Waaaaaaa! While the best kids want to play for P5 schools as proven over and over again.

Remember there was an article about dropping football in the Courant not long ago because of douchenozzles like you?
Giving thousands in donations a year, buying football season tickets, buying mbb season tickets, wbb season tickets makes me a douchenozzle?

I want what’s best for this university. For the now the aac is where we are. But if football doesn’t get it together in the next couple seasons it’s time to rethink this whole football thing.

You can’t let a football team keep dragging now the entire athletic department.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Well I have some advice for the football team. WIN. If you start winning you won't have to worry about other schools using message board posts against us in recruiting.

We aren't having these discussions because New Big East fans stir the pot. We are having these discussions because football has been a joke for almost 10 years now. UCONN IS A BASKETBALL SCHOOL! And the New Big East is a better fit for UConn basketball.

This endless debate doesn't just impact football recruiting. The single best and most impactful tool for opposing coaches to use when selling his/her school as being better than yours: instability. There's nothing more unstable than this nonsense. Memphis - who is in the same exact conference - can't get out of the way of 5-star recruits. And yeah, they're probably paying them handsomely and the admission standards are not nearly as high as UConn (a whole other UConn recruiting discussion), they're still loaded and play in the AAC.

This debate does nothing but drive a wedge in between the fanbase and arms our competitors with very easy, very impactful recruiting ammo to keep our top targets away from us. You're falling for what all Villanova or any other, troll wants: keep the debate going so we continue to shoot ourselves in both feet.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Every time this expands, it becomes less credible. For instance, the bit about close ties to the UConn AD. Our guy has southern ties at the biggest football schools. This would be career suicide for him. He would resign long before it ever came to something like this.
I meant the UConn Athletic Dept, not the actual AD

Reaction Score
For what it's worth. When I was talking to someone high up in the athletic department about a month ago. I brought up the Big East and said it could be a possibility.

Reaction Score
This endless debate doesn't just impact football recruiting. The single best and most impactful tool for opposing coaches to use when selling his/her school as being better than yours: instability. There's nothing more unstable than this nonsense. Memphis - who is in the same exact conference - can't get out of the way of 5-star recruits. And yeah, they're probably paying them handsomely and the admission standards are not nearly as high as UConn (a whole other UConn recruiting discussion), they're still loaded and play in the AAC.

This debate does nothing but drive a wedge in between the fanbase and arms our competitors with very easy, very impactful recruiting ammo to keep our top targets away from us. You're falling for what all Villanova or any other, troll wants: keep the debate going so we continue to shoot ourselves in both feet.

I think the point this misses is that the AAC is a better conference for Memphis than it is for UConn. I know there have been some good basketball teams and that some of the programs are in good position for a few years. Still, it’s a step up for Memphis from the Great Midwest Conference and Conference USA. Since they’ve never been in an elite conference and had some success, the AAC fits them fine. Meanwhile - forgetting about the New Big East for a moment - the AAC is a significant step down from the Big East for UConn. We have no natural rivalries, and we don’t get a tournament in MSG anymore. UConn would have never become an elite program without the Big East, so we can’t assume we can turn around fully in another conference. That’s not to say UConn can’t have success in the AAC; it’s just that saying “Team X is succeeding while in the AAC” ignores the basketball history of UConn and the rest of the conference.

Reaction Score

I haven't seen anyone predicting the death of any league expect the b12. Those schools aren't going anywhere as all they do is play basketball. Nova's dream at one time was to elevate itself to big time football but it didn't take. P5 conferences aren't taking any non football schools.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I think the point this misses is that the AAC is a better conference for Memphis than it is for UConn. I know there have been some good basketball teams and that some of the programs are in good position for a few years. Still, it’s a step up for Memphis from the Great Midwest Conference and Conference USA. Since they’ve never been in an elite conference and had some success, the AAC fits them fine. Meanwhile - forgetting about the New Big East for a moment - the AAC is a significant step down from the Big East for UConn. We have no natural rivalries, and we don’t get a tournament in MSG anymore. UConn would have never become an elite program without the Big East, so we can’t assume we can turn around fully in another conference. That’s not to say UConn can’t have success in the AAC; it’s just that saying “Team X is succeeding while in the AAC” ignores the basketball history of UConn and the rest of the conference.

A step down from the OLD Big East? Absolutely. But as we all know, that Big East version included Louisville, Pitt, Syracuse, Notre Dame, etc. This version of the Big East is nowhere near that level and also comes with less money and less exposure than what we enjoy today.

If UConn fans spent less time arguing this and more time trying to help out UConn to win in the AAC, then that would surely expedite things. Let our coaches recruit kids without having our fanbase derail those efforts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom