UConn to the NBE? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn to the NBE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A step down from the OLD Big East? Absolutely. But as we all know, that Big East version included Louisville, Pitt, Syracuse, Notre Dame, etc. This version of the Big East is nowhere near that level and also comes with less money and less exposure than what we enjoy today.

If UConn fans spent less time arguing this and more time trying to help out UConn to win in the AAC, then that would surely expedite things. Let our coaches recruit kids without having our fanbase derail those efforts.
What can UConn fans do exactly?

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
What can UConn fans do exactly?

Stop debating this would be a great start. Goal is stability - presenting a solid, unified "nation". Too much Big East nonsense here and out on social media and in regular media that prospects we recruit are exposed to it at some point or another. That makes it very easy for opposing coaches to plant seeds of doubt in the UConn name and sway those kids elsewhere.

Reaction Score
Stop debating this would be a great start. Goal is stability - presenting a solid, unified "nation". Too much Big East nonsense here and out on social media and in regular media that prospects we recruit are exposed to it at some point or another. That makes it very easy for opposing coaches to plant seeds of doubt in the UConn name and sway those kids elsewhere.
The AAC is stable?

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Don't forget for the revenues you are only counting the TV contract. UConn makes several a million a year in bowl revenues too, obviously that money isn't available to the Big East ever.

Also, football is the only sport that can guarantee us checks for 1+ million dollars in Sat. afternoon payday games. It's sad that we're relegated to playing these games, but the current national champs still think there's enough benefit in scheduling us for such games. Join the new Big Least and that money goes bye-bye, along with the football program.

Reaction Score
Also, football is the only sport that can guarantee us checks for 1+ million dollars in Sat. afternoon payday games. It's sad that we're relegated to playing these games, but the current national champs still think there's enough benefit in scheduling us for such games. Join the new Big Least and that money goes bye-bye, along with the football program.
So the future of our football program is to get blown out and cash checks?

Reaction Score
The AAC is stable?

Until the next round of expansion it is at which point UCONN will be in play for at minimum a spot in a reconfigured BIG12.

Stay the course. AAC basketball has caught up with C7 basketball and is in the process of passing them.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
Giving thousands in donations a year, buying football season tickets, buying mbb season tickets, wbb season tickets makes me a douchenozzle?

I want what’s best for this university. For the now the aac is where we are. But if football doesn’t get it together in the next couple seasons it’s time to rethink this whole football thing.

You can’t let a football team keep dragging now the entire athletic department.

Men's and women's BB are also losing money. Should we fire Hurley and Auriemma and get rid of those programs as well? It will be a lot of fun when we join the Northeast Conference as an Olympic sports only program. Wait, I'm not even sure they would take us without the big three revenue producing sports.

Reaction Score
Men's and women's BB are also losing money. Should we fire Hurley and Auriemma and get rid of those programs as well? It will be a lot of fun when we join the Northeast Conference as an Olympic sports only program. Wait, I'm not even sure they would take us without the big three revenue producing sports.
What are you talking about? I never brought up money. You did.

And if one of the main reasons we are keeping football is so we can get 1 million dollar checks from Clemson then we should close the entire athletic program down.

At least the other pro football people who argue me with me have better points.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

The men’s basketball program doesn’t lose money. The women’s program probably breaks just about even.

Reaction Score
Giving thousands in donations a year, buying football season tickets, buying mbb season tickets, wbb season tickets makes me a douchenozzle?

I want what’s best for this university. For the now the aac is where we are. But if football doesn’t get it together in the next couple seasons it’s time to rethink this whole football thing.

You can’t let a football team keep dragging now the entire athletic department.
If you want what's best, keep supporting the school. You don't think they are trying to be a P5 school? P5 schools generally agree we are a P5 school.

Hence, this Villanova moron trying to amp up his conference as if it is a viable option. UConn considers Big Ten schools peer schools, not freaking Seton Hall and DePaul and Butler.

You clearly do not understand the dynamics of a modern athletic department. We are not dropping football. One of the dumbest things I've ever heard about UConn. Amazing that obtuse fans can help hold back the program, rather than fight the fight.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
If you want what's best, keep supporting the school. You don't think they are trying to be a P5 school? P5 schools generally agree we are a P5 school.

Hence, this Villanova moron trying to amp up his conference as if it is a viable option. UConn considers Big Ten schools peer schools, not freaking Seton Hall and DePaul and Butler.

You clearly do not understand the dynamics of a modern athletic department. We are not dropping football. One of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

Not only does UCONN consider itself a peer to P5 schools, but the Big 10 officially recognizes UCONN as a P5 school for scheduling purposes. As Butch correctly points out, they do not consider schools like Seton Hall, DePaul and Butler as P5 worthy.

BTW, UCONN isn't spending many millions of dollars to build a new, sorely needed baseball stadium, softball stadium and hockey arena because we're about to drop football and make a move to a lesser conference.

Reaction Score
There are many fans that support staying AAC and many that support exploring alternatives. Many on this board have reasoned approaches and intelligently support their views.

Butch is not one of these. He is a frustrated bully that does not have the intellect to support his own position and resorts to insults and name calling to make up for his inability to articulate a reasoned debate. It’s probably why they called him Butch, and he doesn’t even realize it.

Anyway, one path is to stay the course. Remain AAC and keep showing a $40M loss at the expense of taxpayers. Keep growing expenses at the current rate. Record a 1/2 Billion (with a B) over the next 10 years with a half full rent.

An alternative is to cut football expenses in half, to the rest of G5, and save $10M a year. $20M a year spending isn’t sustained on a $7M TV deal that includes both basketball and Football.

I’ll take Seton Hall and Butler. Butler has been to 2 finals in recent memory and the Hall is a competitive regional foe. Keep up those road trips for all sports to Tulane, Tulsa, and East Carolina while you take shots at the Hall.

If you actually get picked by the Big Ten to pair with Rutgers as a regional rival, then you have some standing to look down on the Hall. Until then, calling yourself a Big Ten peer is a stretch, a huge stretch.

Reaction Score
Havent been over here in a while. Good to know we still in the mix to get into P5. Wait what. Next!

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Piling on here. :)

Once again, exit terms:

UConn pays the AAC $10M and has to wait 27 months to leave, OR...
UConn negotiates an early exit (12 months) and pays ~ $11M-$12M

UConn then goes from making $7M/yr in the AAC to making $5M/yr in the nBE.

UConn goes from having revenue games aired on the ESPN/ABC platform to having basketball only on Fox Sports network (a viewership reduction of at least 1/3).

I had hoped the new AAC would put this idiotic idea to rest already but it clearly hasn't. No school, not even UConn, is going to pay $10M-$12M to go to a conference that 1) pays less money; 2) provides far less exposure. That makes absolutely zero sense.

These threads need to be auto-sorted into a BY spam/junk box.
Not to mention the ~$2mm per year in CFP payouts

Reaction Score
P5 schools have totally, completely and fully agreed that UConn is not in the P5.
No duh. And at the same time, notice we're getting home and homes with P5 schools. Geez.

I'll make a resolution to not mention conference realignment again. The hopefulness people express on here is more a personal reflection than the freaking school. Never imagined Connecticut residents/fans would be so emo/spoiled.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
No duh. But notice we're getting home and homes with P5 schools. Geez.

uconn is so p5 that it’s running a 40 million dollar deficit in the aac with a 7 million dollar tv contract that seemingly runs into the next century.

but some p5 dregs will play at rentschler. cool.

TJT

Reaction Score
The men’s basketball program doesn’t lose money. The women’s program probably breaks just about even.

According to reports, men's basketball loses money just as football and women's basketball:

The biggest individual team culprit of the UConn athletic department’s 2018 deficit was the school’s football program, which lost $8.7 million. Additionally, men’s basketball lost about $5 million, women’s basketball lost about $3.1 million and the rest of the school’s sports lost about $22.3 million among them.

Source:

Reaction Score

You clearly do not understand the dynamics of a modern athletic department. We are not dropping football. One of the dumbest things I've ever heard about UConn. Amazing that obtuse fans can help hold back the program, rather than fight the fight.
If you read my posts I don’t want them to drop football right now. My point is if the football team doesn’t improve in the next couple of season, they should explore the Big East option.

Trust me I know the dynamics of an athletic program. The problem is UConn is in bigger trouble than advertised. They have lost fans, donors, season ticket holders, and are bleeding money. This current trend of spending money on athletics is going to come to an end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom