UConn to the NBE? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn to the NBE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
The Big East TV contract, without football, brought in more than the AAC with football until the recent contract upgrade. We'll see what the next Big East TV contract brings. While this last AAC contract is an increase, it is offset by the distributions of the old Big East exit war chest that is now dry.

Should we start placing bets on how horrific the next NBE contract will be?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
UConn spends $20M+ on football. UConn could cut 10M+ and still be peer to the MAC.

With a $40M+ deficit that is paid by the public, it seems some moves will happen.

Villanova spends $40M a year and loses $20M.

Your model is ultimately a death gargle.

Reaction Score
Villanova spends $40M a year and loses $20M.

Your model is ultimately a death gargle.
Nova’s situation isn’t ideal, but it isn’t funded by the state government that is in deficit. Nova’s plan is sustainable with its own funds. Basketball is well positioned, football is not.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The Big East TV contract, without football, brought in more than the AAC with football until the recent contract upgrade.

Everything else in this post is rendered moot by these - your own - words. The past is prologue. The Big East at this point for UConn appears to be a non-starter.

Reaction Score
I not only understand, but share you skepticism. I didn't believe him at first either. But all I can tell you is the following:

1. This is not a guy I met at a car wash. This is a guy I met at the most prestigious country club in CT. And no, he is not a caddie.
2. He is the #1 private donor to Providence, played soccer there and is plugged into their Athletic Dept. And to Tranghese, although I have no idea what role if any Tranghese has in any of this. It wouldn't surprise me if Tranghese knows what is going on in the Big East though.
3. He also has extremely close ties to the UConn AD via his professional partnership with a very well knows former UConn athlete that is a prominent donor to UConn. I can't say more than that without giving it away and I don't want to do that. Fishy, I'd be happy to tell you in private so you know I'm not making this up.
4. His comment about Herbst and football was that she would kill it on her way out the door so that the incoming President won't have to deal with it as a new issue. Obviously it won't just fold overnight, but that was the basis of the comment.

I'm not making this up and I'm not necessarily describing any probability or truth to it. I'm just saying the guys absolutely has credibility and the way he was talking, it's a done deal. I guess we will see.

OK, you can now continue attacking me and how stupid I am for passing this along!

Every time this expands, it becomes less credible. For instance, the bit about close ties to the UConn AD. Our guy has southern ties at the biggest football schools. This would be career suicide for him. He would resign long before it ever came to something like this.

Reaction Score
Nova’s situation isn’t ideal, but it isn’t funded by the state government that is in deficit. Nova’s plan is sustainable with its own funds. Basketball is well positioned, football is not.

That much in losses is sustainable for no school at all. Not for the coming armageddon for colleges.

Reaction Score
You’re probably not totally wrong. But I’d say the underlying conditions that lead people to speculate about the future of football - losing records, poor attendance, financial losses, etc. - are bigger issues than negative message board discussions.

Temple was way worse off than UConn is not so long ago.

Teams drop off. It is not a permanent thing.

Reaction Score
As ridiculous as it sounds, the local media tends to use threads like this to create discussion and controversy in the state. The last thing we need is rumors of dropping football to get a lot of discussion. These things always work against us.
To CT sports writers:

UConn is good at football

It's all good now
Showing how pathetically weak fans we have? Yes, that hurts recruiting.
If a recruit reads this board and decides not to come here because of negative posts then we don’t want him.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Don't forget for the revenues you are only counting the TV contract. UConn makes several a million a year in bowl revenues too, obviously that money isn't available to the Big East ever.

Yup. I didn't go there because that type of money tends to fluctuate year to year (just like NCAAT credits). But yeah, add that to the list of money UConn would lose out on after paying $10M. Unreal.

Reaction Score
To CT sports writers:

UConn is good at football

It's all good now

If a recruit reads this board and decides not to come here because of negative posts then we don’t want him.

It's not a negative post about UConn football. It's a post that says UConn football will soon cease to exist.

Reaction Score
It's not a negative post about UConn football. It's a post that says UConn football will soon cease to exist.
Ok. Even better. If you trust a message board over the coach recruiting you about the future of the program then there’s a problem.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

Recruits aren't making decisions based on message board threads. But other schools' coaches use whatever they can - legal or illegal - to recruit a kid. And you better believe that the divide in UConn's fanbase over this topic hurts us in recruiting...which is why we have nBE fans coming to our boards to stir this nonsense up every now and again.

These threads all belong in the BY spam/junk box. Seriously. No good comes from it.

Reaction Score
Ok. Even better. If you trust a message board over the coach recruiting you about the future of the program then there’s a problem.

Yes and no. The coach will never tell you about the future of the program when it comes to this. & in the past, the coach was sometimes the last to know!! That being said, this whole rumor isn't even credible. It's preposterous. The AD would have been gone already if this was even remotely possible.

Reaction Score
Recruits aren't making decisions based on message board threads. But other schools' coaches use whatever they can - legal or illegal - to recruit a kid. And you better believe that the divide in UConn's fanbase over this topic hurts us in recruiting...which is why we have nBE fans coming to our boards to stir this nonsense up every now and again.

These threads all belong in the BY spam/junk box. Seriously. No good comes from it.
Well I have some advice for the football team. WIN. If you start winning you won't have to worry about other schools using message board posts against us in recruiting.

We aren't having these discussions because New Big East fans stir the pot. We are having these discussions because football has been a joke for almost 10 years now. UCONN IS A BASKETBALL SCHOOL! And the New Big East is a better fit for UConn basketball.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If message board posts really impacted recruiting 58% of the internet would be people pretending to be fans of other schools and posting negative things about them.

If message board posts had any impact UConn wouldn’t be employing ticket agents who pick fights with fans.

The vast majority of people who don’t post on message boards believe us to be complete idiots who don’t have any clue what we are talking about. Trust me - this circle jerk is not changing the world.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
The ultra reliable "good news soon" poster Kmart seconds this information so we all know this must true
So based on Kmart posting "good news" in the UConn to the NBE? thread this morning looks like he's hitching his wagon to that happening.

It's not going to happen stop trying to make the new big east happen.
Oh UConnDan no hitching
In your original "Good News" post you said "all basketball fans will be happy." I'm a basketball fan and if this happens, I will not be happy. It would be the death knell of our AD. I'm calling the cops

Reaction Score
The posts on this board have time and time again served as the basis for articles in the Courant or elsewhere that completely rile the fan base and the non-fans alike, shining an unnecessary light on the football program. Inevitably, the discussion is misinformed and makes UConn athletics look like a drain on the state when really, the programs are funded by the AD and student fees.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Well I have some advice for the football team. WIN. If you start winning you won't have to worry about other schools using message board posts against us in recruiting.

We aren't having these discussions because New Big East fans stir the pot. We are having these discussions because football has been a joke for almost 10 years now. UCONN IS A BASKETBALL SCHOOL! And the New Big East is a better fit for UConn basketball.

There is no future for “basketball schools.”

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
People have been saying this for 10 years now. Far from the truth

So that prevents it from ever being true in the future? You’re really making UConn’s young alumni look good with those reasoning skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom