UConn to the NBE? | The Boneyard

UConn to the NBE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know I'll get crucified for this thread, but just passing along something I heard today, because it came from a very credible source. Largest private donor at Providence, directly involved in their athletic department and knows Tranghese well (who he says UConn hired as a consultant at some point) says he's 95%+ sure that UConn will be joining the NBE in 2021. Says the school gave Herbst the authority to do it on her way out the door, football will be killed so the next President doesn't have to deal with it and we'll move to the NBE. I couldn't believe it as I've heard nothing as specific about it, but this is a credible, connected guy.

All pile on now.........

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
What do we do with football? All of the sudden recruiting isn’t so bad. We also invested so much money into our football program over the last 15-20 years... given the fact that the AAC is a + football conference and an improving basketball conference I just don’t see it, regardless of what donors say.

This is coming from someone who would drop football if it meant we could get into the NBE because I don’t like our long term football prospects and think we instantly become a more marketable retro type basketball program in the NBE, conference goes from a weakness to a strength with top regional kids and the attendance issue is fixed overnight.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
only 95% sure.... but KNOWS for a fact that lame duck Herbst has already been given the authority to do it as she is walking out the door. :confused: and he knows this because he donates to PC.

I heard from a more reliable source that we just signed a home and home football series with Duke and UCONN donors are busy renovating the football facilities.

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I know I'll get crucified for this thread, but just passing along something I heard today, because it came from a very credible source. Largest private donor at Providence, directly involved in their athletic department and knows Tranghese well (who he says UConn hired as a consultant at some point) says he's 95%+ sure that UConn will be joining the NBE in 2021. Says the school gave Herbst the authority to do it on her way out the door, football will be killed so the next President doesn't have to deal with it and we'll move to the NBE. I couldn't believe it as I've heard nothing as specific about it, but this is a credible, connected guy.

All pile on now....

Your source isn't close to credible.

Tranghese working for UConn was in the newspapers three years ago.

We're not going to the BE in 2021.

The idea that a president would have the authority to do something two years after she leaves is idiotic.

He is neither credible nor connected or you have trouble defining both terms.

You're not stupid, but that post is.

That is the long version.

The short version is - lol, no.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
That dream died for you basketball only UConn fans when the new AAC media contract was announced. The UConn administration would have to be out of their minds to even consider dropping football to move to the new Big Least for media exposure that rivals C-USA and less money. Just let your dream die quietly, basketball only fans.

Reaction Score
Should've been on twitter with this.. might have seen it in a BTM update in a month or so.

Reaction Score
Don't miss this opportunity to join the cottage industry.

Call your source LPD (largest private donor), start a twitter account.

Announce you will be sharing a pizza with LPD and will detail what you hear. And you're off.

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
That dream died for you basketball only UConn fans when the new AAC media contract was announced. The UConn administration would have to be out of their minds to even consider dropping football to move to the new Big Least for media exposure that rivals C-USA and less money. Just let your dream die quietly, basketball only fans.

I can see why you are so arrogant about this. The AAC has been such a tremendous success for UConn.

Reaction Score
Your source isn't close to credible.

Tranghese working for UConn was in the newspapers three years ago.

We're not going to the BE in 2021.

The idea that a president would have the authority to do something two years after she leaves is idiotic.

He is neither credible nor connected or you have trouble defining both terms.

You're not stupid, but that post is.

That is the long version.

The short version is - lol, no.

Yes, and what does it mean that the school gave her the authority? Who or what is the school?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Yes, and what does it mean that the school gave her the authority? Who or what is the school?

According to a well-connected source, the board of trustees gave her permission they're not authorized to give to nuke the football program, pay the American $10,000,000, and blow up our Nike and IMG deals to rejoin the Big East for even less money than we make now.

Also, this will happen in July because Sue has to start work at her new gig later this summer. And it will be kept a secret for two years.

Reaction Score
If a split with the NCAA ever happens, the AAC has a better chance of moving with the P5 than the BE. I would argue the AAC is on an upwards trajectory and the BE is sliding. The BE has benefited from Villanova’s success the past few years to keep the conference relevant, so I can see why they would want/need UConn to help shore up the conference, but UConn would be crazy to consider moving.

Reaction Score

All pile on now....

fwiw.......

Sometimes (not all, unfortunately) before I speak, write or post, I think about and review what I am about to communicate. Many times I make changes or choose not to communicate at all. This often saves me from embarrassing myself.

Reaction Score
According to a well-connected source, the board of trustees gave her permission they're not authorized to give to nuke the football program, pay the American $10,000,000, and blow up our Nike and IMG deals to rejoin the Big East for even less money than we make now.

Also, this will happen in July because Sue has to start work at her new gig later this summer. And it will be kept a secret for two years.

This appears to be the even longer version.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

All pile on now....

Piling on here. :)

Once again, exit terms:

UConn pays the AAC $10M and has to wait 27 months to leave, OR...
UConn negotiates an early exit (12 months) and pays ~ $11M-$12M

UConn then goes from making $7M/yr in the AAC to making $5M/yr in the nBE.

UConn goes from having revenue games aired on the ESPN/ABC platform to having basketball only on Fox Sports network (a viewership reduction of at least 1/3).

I had hoped the new AAC would put this idiotic idea to rest already but it clearly hasn't. No school, not even UConn, is going to pay $10M-$12M to go to a conference that 1) pays less money; 2) provides far less exposure. That makes absolutely zero sense.

These threads need to be auto-sorted into a BY spam/junk box.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Now if the NBE merged with the AAC..nevermind
Conference USA 2.1, with marginally better teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom