UCONN to practice at XL on Monday | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UCONN to practice at XL on Monday

Reaction Score
Yeah it's up to the team. Against the Johnnies every nice offensive play which began the noise ended because our defense couldn't get stops. It's the reality of the crowd, the team needs to help create the noise.
Stops or great offensive plays ramp you up . The hugel1989-90 Georgetown,and Cuse wins started out with our relentless pressure and it seemed like neither team could get the ball over the half court line . The crowd got louder and louder with each stop .
It got so loud the place was literally shaking .
It’s true made baskets by the other team are the biggest crowd silencer.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Should be an advantage to play at XL. Do something positive and the crowd will be there. Simple as that.
The crowd is there anyway. What they need to do get a stop one time when the crowd is going crazy. That kicks it into overdrive. I swear it seems every time the crowd gets it going this season, the other team scores.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
we did play Xavier at Gampel....
Dudedad What GIF

Reaction Score
Knowing every little detail of the venue is critical when it comes to being an inch away from a baseline to a heel touching the line. Especially at home court. Smart move.

Curious how often Calhoun did this.
This is a clever move! Any edge helps mental or physical.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
We should’ve played it at Gampel we would’ve won.

We also should’ve played Xavier at Gampel too, we would’ve definitely won and covered.
UConn should play every home conference game at a minimum at Gampel

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
That was an ill-timed tech. A la DH. Although, it almost worked. The ladies could have still won. That handoff on the inbounds was a bad missed call. Decided a lot.
The leash that Geno has gotten from the media regarding that technical is something else. I've seen some highlight packages where it hasn't even been mentioned

1999GoodSon

Lies, damn lies, and statistics.
Reaction Score
The loudest/craziest crowd I've been a part of at XL was last year's Nova game - almost as nuts as our 2010 beatdown of #1Texas at Gampel. Don't know if it's a sellout yet, but it should be. If the boys bring it, I'm looking forward to the insanity and we promise to do our part.

Reaction Score
This can't be new. Ideally we'd have 1 home court for creature comforts, but NCAA games are played in hockey/hoops arenas like HCC so it's not so bad

Reaction Score
The loudest/craziest crowd I've been a part of at XL was last year's Nova game - almost as nuts as our 2010 beatdown of #1Texas at Gampel. Don't know if it's a sellout yet, but it should be. If the boys bring it, I'm looking forward to the insanity and we promise to do our part.
Its sold out. XL will be rockin tomorrow night can't wait!!

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Its sold out. XL will be rockin tomorrow night can't wait!!
There’s still >50 single tickets left on UConn’s site. Not sold out just yet.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
Stops or great offensive plays ramp you up . The hugel1989-90 Georgetown,and Cuse wins started out with our relentless pressure and it seemed like neither team could get the ball over the half court line . The crowd got louder and louder with each stop .
It got so loud the place was literally shaking .
It’s true made baskets by the other team are the biggest crowd silen

Did the highlights show the in-bounds handoff?
What does one have to do with the other?

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
What are you literally talking about?
You asked if the highlights showed the handoff. I'm asking what that has to do with not showing the technical. The handoff occurred after the T.

When Hurley got that T in the Xavier game he got roasted. Geno is getting a pass

Reaction Score
XL seems like it's a really hard place to get jump shots to fall. Even for the home team.
Been that way forever. Practicing there is a great idea!

DOOMED!
It didn't bother Larry Bird.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
Not sure about that - I think someone had recently unearthed that our shooting % the past few years at XL and Gampel were basically the same (and maybe XL was actually a nudge higher but I might be misremembering)?
The last major thread had data and I think it was like a 1% advantage to Gampel. I can get that it's a better experience in a small arena - all the energy is packed in tight.
As an aside, the women’s game was on yesterday and we had some friends over. The XL Center looks really good on tv. They showed it from ceiling. One guy commented, “That’s an impressive arena, wow.” I didn’t bother to tell him how much UConn fans hate it.
On TV it looks "normal", not like some of the terrible gyms I've seen here and there that look to be barely above a HS gym. Our huge crowds also look a hell of a lot better than the mostly empty court in Chicago (DePaul game). Anytime you see the cameras don't show above the lower bowl... the arena is empty.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The replay showed it - not sure why it wasn't reviewed
Geno requested it be reviewed. It sounds like he was told that it wasn’t reviewable.

Reaction Score
Ideally we become adaptable and learn to play well in any arena, big or small, home or away.

Reaction Score
Another advantage of practicing at the XL is gaining additional confidence re: the ability to cut quickly/stop quickly/pivot quickly on that floor.. With the ice underneath the floor.. Have noticed this year--more than recent years--where we occasionally lose our footing and get called for a violation of some kind and/or causing a turnover..--sometimes killing a rally and taking the crowd out of the game.

This is a team that will try to turn us over.. Shaka will want to quiet this crowd tonite as soon as he can..

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom