UConn to new Big East? What happens to Husky football? | Page 8 | The Boneyard

UConn to new Big East? What happens to Husky football?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Just curious, why are people speculating on a 12th team for Big East basketball? Is there a report of them going to 12? Why can't there be 11 teams?

The initial articles about their TV deal in 2013 talked about additional dollars if they went to 12.

They could play at 11 - and I’d rather for the double RR.

Reaction Score
UConn
UMass
Buffalo
Army
Liberty
Temple?
Ohio?
Villanova?

An interesting regional conference. But two steps lower than the AAC.

I wouldn't be surprised if the AAC adds Buffalo in both sports. Same for Army and Air Force in fball. Temple's fball program has improved in the AAC.

Reaction Score
I like this move less and less as the day drags on. From what I see is maybe there’s a small lifeline with scheduling help from Fox if we are Indy. Total pipe dream is that the ACC/Big10 wake up to the fact that we will no longer just be there whenever they are ready and one of them seriously considers a power play. T&P’s.

Reaction Score
Not that many people care but this is terrible for growing baseball program too. AAC is a premier baseball league. How many big east schools even play baseball? Outside of Creighton being in Omaha this gross.

Creighton got the one bid...made it to the Super...

Reaction Score
UConn is reverting to the same level of national importance it had in the 1960’s.

That’s not good.

UConn is just going all-in on basketball....the primary sport by a several miles...an attempt to return to national prominence.

Football had real disadvantages in the conference competition....

UConn admin is cutting anchor, jettisoning extra weight, and hoping that the sails fill and they overtake Villanova.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Your arrogant condescension is duly noted.

I never intimated that any good/great realignment news was right around the corner. Not once. You did though. Multiple times in fact.

All I'm saying is that there's no concrete proof that CR is dead.
I started off with “I respectfully disagree” and then you posted with a hot headed response as per your by line.

TJT

Reaction Score
If you thought home games with Tulsa, Tulane, ECU, and SMU were bad, just wait until you see the schedule as an independent. It will be a steady stream of Liberty, Old Dominion, Charlotte, UMass, FAU, Western Kentucky, FIU, Georgia Southern, Georgia State, South Alabama, Troy, Coastal Carolina, etc...

Keep in mind there will be few home games like Houston, Cincinatti, Memphis, or UCF each season to offset them.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Next the MBB legion will tell us the benefit of playing the lack Bears, Rams, Catamounts, Wildcats etc . Maybe we can beat Quinnipiac for a championship?

Reaction Score
UConn is just going all-in on basketball....the primary sport by a several miles...an attempt to return to national prominence.

UConn admin is cutting anchor, jettisoning extra weight, and hoping that the sails fill and they overtake Villanova.
Any plan that involves hoping is a bad one.

Reaction Score
No what I'm saying is there's no concrete proof that realignment is dead. Any attempt to claim as such, like Exit 4 is doing, is simply conjecture.

As for the first part of your post....are you saying the solution to dwindling attendance and apathy is to kill football?
No i hate the move. But my thoughts and feelings don't move needle on attendance at the XL Center. The administration is banking on games against Nova, Georgetown and St. John's doing so.

Reaction Score
All I can say is Fox Sports is all in on this with $’s. What conferences do they influence?
Our only chance to survive as an Indy with even a modicum of success is if FOX presses some buttons and we get scheduled vs Big 12, Pac12 and B1G (we’re already considered a “P-5” team for those encounters.)

Reaction Score
Our only chance to survive as an Indy with even a modicum of success is if FOX presses some buttons and we get scheduled vs Big 12, Pac12 and B1G (we’re already considered a “P-5” team for those encounters.)
If that happens, maybe the idiots will stop doubting P5 aspirations. Or maybe not.

Reaction Score
Even this link disproved what you said about no expansion. Geez.
Butch, i want to believe, but sometimes i have you have to face reality. 7 years since Lousiville and their cheating programs got the call over us.

Reaction Score
Butch, i want to believe, but sometimes i have you have to face reality. 7 years since Lousiville and their cheating programs got the call over us.
And reality is no one said expansion is over. My "faith" is based on seeing, not wishing. It's quite obvious there will be more expansion but our fans are so petty, weak and spoiled. We'll see if corporations back the school on continual development. The fans are so stupid that they make us look as viable as Twitter when it started.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We gave up on football when we hired Edsall 2.0.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score

Our only hope is that:

1) the Big East becomes a power basketball conference,
2) we win some championships, and
3) the NCAA drops football as a sport due to the concussion issue.

Reaction Score
The Alum who helped fund the Burton/ Shenkman upgrades must have been blindsided by this. So all the coaches were kept kept in the dark on this? We are upgrading baseball and soccer facilities for the Big East? Seeing ESPN wrap their arm around the shoulder of our women's program with the new AAC media contract was really maddening and must have played a big part in this. Hurley is just getting started at reviving the men's program and there was no need to do this now. If the next round of realignment screwed us I could see it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom