UConn to create master plan for Storrs Campus | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn to create master plan for Storrs Campus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It's not close enough and you're right....if you're going to be a stadium, you might as well go all the way to campus.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Agree, it needs to be on campus. The logical choices are Horsebarn Hill or between Stadium Road and South Eagleville. As I've posted in other threads, you don't need a huge highway into campus. Intelligent lot placement with shuttles and coupled with making existing roads one at the close of games would go a long way toward alleviating the post game congestion. Plus people will take advantage of the campus and new Storrs Center, and of course tailgating to stagger their entrance and exit times.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Agree, it needs to be on campus. The logical choices are Horsebarn Hill or between Stadium Road and South Eagleville. As I've posted in other threads, you don't need a huge highway into campus. Intelligent lot placement with shuttles and coupled with making existing roads one at the close of games would go a long way toward alleviating the post game congestion. Plus people will take advantage of the campus and new Storrs Center, and of course tailgating to stagger their entrance and exit times.

With all due respect, shuttling the student section to Rentschler is a vastly different animal than shuttling the other 35k from off-campus lots back onto campus. If the idea is to build a 40k (or larger) stadium on campus, that idea should be dead on arrival. "Moving day" on campus was brutal enough, but to quadruple the population flow??? No chance...

Reaction Score
With all due respect, shuttling the student section to Rentschler is a vastly different animal than shuttling the other 35k from off-campus lots back onto campus. If the idea is to build a 40k (or larger) stadium on campus, that idea should be dead on arrival. "Moving day" on campus was brutal enough, but to quadruple the population flow??? No chance...
They should be institutionalized if they ever build another 40k stadium. They need 60k with infrastructure to expand another 15k if needed. That said, there is no way it will be built in the Storrs area. Not in our lifetimes. The demographics would have to change so dramatically that a highway became necessary. The stadium will not drive the highway construction. The people out there don't want a stadium. East Hartford did. Big difference. So here's the only possible scenario:
1) Population in the Coventry, Tolland, Mansfield, Willington area triples (don't hold your breath).
2) Roads are jammed
3) Highway is built
4) Possible stadium is constructed if it can be forced upon all the people in those areas who do not want it and are very vocal about it.

It is a long, long shot.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
They should be institutionalized if they ever build another 40k stadium. They need 60k with infrastructure to expand another 15k if needed. That said, there is no way it will be built in the Storrs area. Not in our lifetimes. The demographics would have to change so dramatically that a highway became necessary. The stadium will not drive the highway construction. The people out there don't want a stadium. East Hartford did. Big difference. So here's the only possible scenario:
1) Population in the Coventry, Tolland, Mansfield, Willington area triples (don't hold your breath).
2) Roads are jammed
3) Highway is built
4) Possible stadium is constructed if it can be forced upon all the people in those areas who do not want it and are very vocal about it.

It is a long, long shot.

I'll go one step further. Not only is building a new football stadium on the campus virtually impossible, but the idea of leveling of the Depot and extension of 384 is also a virtual impossibility. I know this because I happen to use Rt. 11 quite a bit. There has been a movement to expand Rt. 11 from the current endpoint in Salem to the original desired endpoint in New London for over 30 years now (approx. 11 miles in length). They have had petitions, they have done surveys, they have talked about tolls to pay for the work, etc. But there is almost ZERO appetite for finishing the project. And this would be a "shovel ready" project that would benefit tens of thousands every week of the year.

So what chance does either idea have of getting done? Slim and none, and Slim is leaving the building...

CL82

Reaction Score
Your respect is duly noted.;) I think we'll end up disagreeing on this one. Fan bases across the country somehow manage to be able to drive far greater distances to their campuses. I think that we can manage it as well. As has been stated above, an on campus stadium is an investment in the future. Kids will be invested in attending games while on campus and many will continue to so as alums.

I think it can be done without a huge investment of road expansion. As I posted frequently on this board, Rutgers uses existing back roads effectively to move cars at the end of games by designating roads as dedicated exit routes and using both lanes. Army is an inconvenient drive along small winging road, yet they manage to get people in and out of their stadium. We could as well. That said it seems to me that technology park might well merit an investment in the supporting infra-structure. That would benefit the campus as well.

Keep in mind that we are all in agreement that the Rent is our home for the foreseeable future. It is a great place to see a game, comfortable with good site lines. But it does make sense, in my opinion, to identify an on campus stadium in our long term plans.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Your respect is duly noted.;) I think we'll end up disagreeing on this one. Fan bases across the country somehow manage to be able to drive far greater distances to their campuses. I think that we can manage it as well. As has been stated above, an on campus stadium is an investment in the future. Kids will be invested in attending games while on campus and many will continue to so as alums.

I think it can be done without a huge investment of road expansion. As I posted frequently on this board, Rutgers uses existing back roads effectively to move cars at the end of games by designating roads as dedicated exit routes and using both lanes. Army is an inconvenient drive along small winging road, yet they manage to get people in and out of their stadium. We could as well. That said it seems to me that technology park might well merit an investment in the supporting infra-structure. That would benefit the campus as well.

Keep in mind that we are all in agreement that the Rent is our home for the foreseeable future. It is a great place to see a game, comfortable with good site lines. But it does make sense, in my opinion, to identify an on campus stadium in our long term plans.
Army's traffic situation after games sucks. Please don't use that as a standard for us.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There is never going to be a 50k+ stadium in Storrs. Not in 10 years, not in 20 years, not in 50 years. That decision was made by the small town, small minds of the residents of the greater Storrs metropolitan area. The minute the NIMBY stuff popped up in the 80's should have also been the moment the state decided not another nickel would go into the Storrs campus. I think UConn should have been moved to Hartford before UConn 2000. Now that the state has spent close to $3 billion on campus over the last 20 years, everyone is all in on that place and forced to deal with the morons who live out there.

There will never be a highway or even a widening of 195. Too expensive and the bumpkins can tie it up in court for decades. No highway access, no football stadium.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
There is never going to be a 50k+ stadium in Storrs. Not in 10 years, not in 20 years, not in 50 years. That decision was made by the small town, small minds of the residents of the greater Storrs metropolitan area. The minute the NIMBY stuff popped up in the 80's should have also been the moment the state decided not another nickel would go into the Storrs campus. I think UConn should have been moved to Hartford before UConn 2000. Now that the state has spent close to $3 billion on campus over the last 20 years, everyone is all in on that place and forced to deal with the morons who live out there.

There will never be a highway or even a widening of 195. Too expensive and the bumpkins can tie it up in court for decades. No highway access, no football stadium.

The move is to combine the UConn and State university systems, convert Storrs to ECSU (renamed to UConn - Mansfield focused back to agro and libral arts) and build a new main campus in East Hartford. Close UC-hartford, combine CCSU and SCSU, expand WCSU.

CL82

Reaction Score
Army's traffic situation after games sucks. Please don't use that as a standard for us.
I've never had trouble getting out of Michie. I have gotten caught on the way in but other commitments kept me from leaving early enough. In the end, that's the key isn't it? Give yourself enough time, get in early and enjoy the tailgate. Problem solved.

Reaction Score
The move is to combine the UConn and State university systems, convert Storrs to ECSU (renamed to UConn - Mansfield focused back to agro and libral arts) and build a new main campus in East Hartford. Close UC-hartford, combine CCSU and SCSU, expand WCSU.
Not happening. They are, however, looking to have each of the state u campuses become flagships in their own right: CCSU-Bus/Tech, WCSU-Arts, SCSU-Health, and ECSU-Education. They said they won't dramatically reduce the number of majors offered at each school, but that it could happen on a limited basis.

Reaction Score
SubbaBub said:
The move is to combine the UConn and State university systems...
Quite the contrary, as in polar opposite. The factual plan is to further enable UCONN to distance itself as the state's flagship STEM research institution, and to align itself closer with Michigan, UVA, CAL, etc.

Over time, the directional, former state colleges now comprising their separate system may end up specializing in certain disciplines.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I've never had trouble getting out of Michie. I have gotten caught on the way in but other commitments kept me from leaving early enough. In the end, that's the key isn't it? Give yourself enough time, get in early and enjoy the tailgate. Problem solved.
Hmm, maybe I just picked a bad game. The UConn-Army game (yes, we sold out our allotment) back in 2005 was a lot of fun. It took our bus over an hour to get from the parking lot to the "highway" - it was a long ride home.

Reaction Score
Has CCSU improved a lot in recent years? I know a few people with bachelors degrees from very good schools that then got a masters at CCSU. They have CCSU as their alma mater on social media and Linkedin. I found it odd that they'd put CCSU on there in place of NYU etc. unless it's rep has really improved.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The only people that want an on campus stadium are the students who show up late and can't be counted on and a handful of people on the Boneyard.

The Rent is so accessible to every part of the state and is in the middle of one of the largest population centers in the state.

You make the stadium harder to get to for 90 percent of the fan base and people simply aren't going to show up.

It's not feasible, practical and kills off a lot of our season ticket base in one swoop.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Has CCSU improved a lot in recent years? I know a few people with bachelors degrees from very good schools that then got a masters at CCSU. They have CCSU as their alma mater on social media and Linkedin. I found it odd that they'd put CCSU on there in place of NYU etc. unless it's rep has really improved.

I know this much of the dozens of college grads I've hired over the last decade the ones from Central have turned out as well as the ones from UConn, Bryant, Bentley, Holy Cross, UMass, Providence and Hartford.

The single best employee I've ever had was a Central grad by way of Sacred Heart.

I've done really well with Eastern grads too, but their campus support is terrible when it comes to generating candidates. These days the only campuses I even contact when I have positions are Central and UConn.

Reaction Score
Hoophound said:
Central may have improved some, but social media sites often select or highlight the last education versus the more prominent or ranked university.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Central may have improved some, but social media sites often select or highlight the last education versus the more prominent or ranked university.

I'll go one step further; social sites (and candidates' resumes) often list the highest level degree first, since the presumption is that the highest degree in the field of choice is what you are leveraging for your expertise. I'm in a similar situation, where I got my undergrad degree from UConn and my M.S. from a small private college. On the resume and on LinkedIn, it shows the private college first. Of course, in conversation, I tell people I went to UConn. Those were the most "formative" years anyways... :)

Reaction Score
Ah. I only have a bachelors so I didn't think about Facebook etc. automatically highlighting the most recently attended or grad school.

As far as Whaler's comments about Central grads, I believe it. Most everyone I know that went there has done very well. Most are hard workers that had jobs during school and were pretty mature for their age at the time. Central has a world of potential. I think the campus is in an awesome location for college kids. They really should embrace campus life and work on getting kids to stay there on the weekends.

I have found that Babson and Bryant do a great job helping their students get jobs and they produce good prospects. Very practical curriculum at both schools.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Any move like that had to have been made by the late 80's. Too late now.

I do think a move should have been made to either make Hartford the main branch or make them co-branches of the same university in the late 80's. $3 billion poured into UConn Hartford the last 20 years would have gone a long way, and shut up the morons that live in the greater Mansfield area. I think UConn would be more appealing to out of state students in a city and would attract more business involvement.

We are where we are. If we want a FBS football program, it has to play in East Hartford. There is no way to get 50k people in and out of Storrs on gameday. The traffic before and after the game would bring 5 towns into gridlock.

Reaction Score
Any move like that had to have been made by the late 80's. Too late now.

I do think a move should have been made to either make Hartford the main branch or make them co-branches of the same university in the late 80's. $3 billion poured into UConn Hartford the last 20 years would have gone a long way, and shut up the morons that live in the greater Mansfield area. I think UConn would be more appealing to out of state students in a city and would attract more business involvement.

We are where we are. If we want a FBS football program, it has to play in East Hartford. There is no way to get 50k people in and out of Storrs on gameday. The traffic before and after the game would bring 5 towns into gridlock.

UConn has no trouble attracting out of state students. With an upgrade in highway infrastructure there would be very few problems associated with traffic on game day.

Reaction Score
nelsonmuntz said:
I think UConn would be more appealing to out of state students in a city and would attract more business involvement. We are where we are. If we want a FBS football program, it has to play in East Hartford.
On top of LIUCHusky's factual statement UCONN has no trouble attracting out-of-state students, they are high caliber, pay more so they indirectly subsidize in-state students, and the university caps the percentage from outside CT at 25%. You are correct, no one's moving from The Rent.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
As someone who went to UConn as an out-of-stater, I would have to agree - I was high-caliber and I did pay more.

You all benefitted from my presence at your state university.

You are welcome.

Bill Sussman

My Name isn't really Bill
Reaction Score
Fishy said:
As someone who went to UConn as an out-of-stater, I would have to agree - I was high-caliber and I did pay more.

You all benefitted from my presence at your state university.

You are welcome.

The short of it, I concur.

As someone who also went to UConn as an out of stater. I am the highest caliber but I didn't pay a cent more because UConn opened up its pretty purse and gave me some of that sweet sweet scholarship money. My first year was essentially pay for play to compensate me for my school work domination. The endorsement money was rolling in as I worked minimum wage in the admissions office. They sliced some money away after year one but I never paid more than in state tuition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom