Uconn to #1 Watch | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Uconn to #1 Watch

Reaction Score
So how is it that you can put UCONN at #2, if your logic is that re: OSU that you "Can't see that with who they have played"? OSU has beaten 3 teams that have only 1 loss to date (all by OSU). Who has UCONN played that gets them to #2? BTW, I don't have UCONN or OSU in the my top 5.
If you think the OSU's schedule is better UConn's that is fine for you. I don't agree. I think Uconn's is slightly better as it's loaded with decent power 5 team and no mid-majors. Cal recently beat Arkansas who I am high on and Uconn took care of them. I think Depaul and Miami are overrated and Missouri State is the best win the Beavers have which compares to a team like Cal. Who knows? Maybe I am underating Pacific, but until they actually beat someone one note the are just another mid-major team in my book.

Reaction Score
so we are supposed to act like Missouri State is the legit number 2 team in the country too? And because Oregon State beat them they should be number 1? lol

Reaction Score
If you think the OSU's schedule is better UConn's that is fine for you. I don't agree. I think Uconn's is slightly better as it's loaded with decent power 5 team and no mid-majors. Cal recently beat Arkansas who I am high on and Uconn took care of them. I think Depaul and Miami are overrated and Missouri State is the best win the Beavers have which compares to a team like Cal. Who knows? Maybe I am underating Pacific, but until they actually beat someone one note the are just another mid-major team in my book.
Whatever you think about OSU's schedule strength, it doesn't answer my question about how you have UCONN at #2 given the opponents UCONN has played up to this point?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
For the record, Dayton is a mid-major, and not even a good one at that.

As UConn fans, we of all people should know that "power 5" designation by itself is hardly meaningful as an indicator of quality. Most power 5 teams didn't even make the NCAA tournament last year. Missouri State was a Sweet 16 team last year, which is better than 80% of the power 5 teams did.

You may think DePaul and Miami are overrated, but none of UConn's opponents thus far can claim to be any better. Cal has a loss to Harvard. Ohio State has losses to Ohio and South Dakota. Vanderbilt just lost to Seton Hall. Virginia lost to a very mediocre USC.

Reaction Score
Are we really giving credence to a ranking that has Illinois State at #6 in the country ?

#TooSoon

I agree #TooSoon is right, I do not believe Warren Nolan is saying these teams are the top teams in the country, data is only supporting RPI/SOS and how teams have fared (wins/losses) with Q1-Q4 teams. If we dismiss #6 Illinois St (for this RPI/SOS) do we also not give credence to #3 Stanford, #4 UConn and #5 Louisville.

#GottaStartSomewhere

Reaction Score
I certainly hope UConn does not go to #1. They have done nothing to deserve it yet -- notice, I said yet -- and at this point are a seriously flawed (and right now, injured) team. Yes, they are coming along and yes, they give us reason for optimism, but #1 is just silly. Someone else. Anyone else. Let UConn languish at #3 or 4 for a while longer. When they beat someone important, then let's talk.

Reaction Score
Whatever you think about OSU's schedule strength, it doesn't answer my question about how you have UCONN at #2 given the opponents UCONN has played up to this point?
The answer is. "Who've they played" is not the only criteria. They are both undefeated teams with a similar level of competition on the books. I think UConn's resume is slightly better and I just think they are a slightly better team, though neither deserve to be #1. I think Oregon is still the best team by a good bit. And I think Stanford deserves to be #1 right now but barely.

Reaction Score
The answer is. "Who've they played" is not the only criteria. They are both undefeated teams with a similar level of competition on the books. I think UConn's resume is slightly better and I just think they are a slightly better team, though neither deserve to be #1. I think Oregon is still the best team by a good bit. And I think Stanford deserves to be #1 right now but barely.
You continue to not answer the question? Why do you have UCONN ranked #2 over all the other teams (forget about Oregon State).

Reaction Score
For the record, Dayton is a mid-major, and not even a good one at that.

As UConn fans, we of all people should know that "power 5" designation by itself is hardly meaningful as an indicator of quality. Most power 5 teams didn't even make the NCAA tournament last year. Missouri State was a Sweet 16 team last year, which is better than 80% of the power 5 teams did.

You may think DePaul and Miami are overrated, but none of UConn's opponents thus far can claim to be any better. Cal has a loss to Harvard. Ohio State has losses to Ohio and South Dakota. Vanderbilt just lost to Seton Hall. Virginia lost to a very mediocre USC.
I disagree that being a power 5 team is not meaningful just because there are some good non power 5 teams. The level of competition is not the same at the mid-major level. I don't think its a gross disparity by any means but those power 5 teams that don't make the tournament because they are getting beat mostly by other power 5 teams on their level or better and because of automatic bids taking up spots.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I disagree that being a power 5 team is not meaningful just because there are some good non power 5 teams. The level of competition is not the same at the mid-major level. I don't think its a gross disparity by any means but those power 5 teams that don't make the tournament because they are getting beat mostly by other power 5 teams on their level or better and because of automatic bids taking up spots.
I'm sorry but that's just not true at all. If anything the power 5 teams are advantaged in tournament selection because they're given so many more opportunities to score quality wins against top 50 teams in conference, which the committee places an extremely high value on.

Reaction Score
You continue to not answer the question? Why do you have UCONN ranked #2 over all the other teams (forget about Oregon State).
I would say the number 1 reason is a Geno. As long as he is coaching I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt when teams a have close argument. Right now UConn is undefeated. They a haven't played a top-tier team but neither has Oregon State. Everyone is all pretty close so i think it's fair to give UConn the nod right now over everyone but Stanford that beat Mississippi State.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry but that's just not true at all. If anything the power 5 teams are advantaged in tournament selection because they're given so many more opportunities to score quality wins against top 50 teams in conference, which the committee places an extremely high value on.
We aren't talking about who get's IN the tournament. We are talking about who is BETTER. If you think whoever they pick all are the best teams every year. Sorry I don't agree with that, it's flawed logic. I don't even know why we are talking about tournaments anyway 11 or so weeks in.

Plebe

Reaction Score
We aren't talking about who get's IN the tournament. We are talking about who is BETTER. If you think whoever they pick all are the best teams every year. Sorry I don't agree with that, it's flawed logic. I don't even know why we are talking about tournaments anyway 11 or so weeks in.
Okay, so according to you, teams like Pitt and Wake Forest who can barely win a game in their "power 5" conference are actually better than teams like South Dakota and Missouri State just by the mere fact that they're in a conference with better competition.

Reaction Score
Okay, so according to you, teams like Pitt and Wake Forest who can barely win a game in their "power 5" conference are actually better than teams like South Dakota and Missouri State just by the mere fact that they're in a conference with better competition.
@ReadR00ster, you need to watch more mid-major games. You are really missing out on some high quality basketball.

Reaction Score
I personally don't like this mentality. UConn hasn't played anyone notable yet, and I dare say that's probably a good thing because frankly the team has not looked ready to take on top 10 teams. I don't see anything worth celebrating in sneaking through the backdoor into a paper #1 ranking just because other teams have played and lost to teams *much* better than anyone UConn has faced yet.
I totally agree! Let’s wait until we at least beat one of the 4 teams currently listed ahead of us.

Reaction Score
In my poll I have UCONN and OSU right next to each other at 7 & 8. Both are undefeated, but neither of these teams have played a top 10 team. They have both beaten teams they should have beaten, that's it. Doesn't mean they won't eventually be in top 5, even #1, but neither have been tested, therefore not a top 5 team.
A fair voice of reason. Lotrader

Reaction Score
Are we really giving credence to a ranking that has Illinois State at #6 in the country ?

#TooSoon
[/QUOTE
Or Missouri State at number two?! Not to mention where Oregon is in those rankings.

Reaction Score
So how is it that you can put UCONN at #2, if your logic is that re: OSU that you "Can't see that with who they have played"? OSU has beaten 3 teams that have only 1 loss to date (all by OSU). Who has UCONN played that gets them to #2? BTW, I don't have UCONN or OSU in the my top 5.

Pollsters don't overthink this stuff until it starts to count. They tend to use a next-in-line mentality at this point in the season.

Based on current play UConn probably is not the second best team in the country...it does all work out in the end, though, when it does matter. FWIW, In the past, like most all teams, UConn has been the beneficiary as well as the victim of in-season-polling-when-it-doesn't-matter.

Good Start for OSU...hope they keep it going. :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score

#TooSoon

And Oregon at 13th behind Abilene Christian, Richmond and Creighton? Head bangHead bangHead bangHead bang

Reaction Score
And what satisfaction does it provide that you might argue UCONN is #1, 4 or 14? Does that change the team? Does that activate Westbrook? We will know how good this team is in March. Not by some artificial statistic of " ranking." Unless you are heavily betting in Vegas, on where UCONN will be ranked this week...please spare us. We don't care. The team is better off flying under the radar ( which won't happen) anyway. Please give us your ideas on the players, the approach, the strategy, something about how the team is playing basketball.....anything but meaningless " ranking" positions. It is a waste of space, and signifies nothing.

I take my paternalism with a stronger dose of snarkiness and a wee bit more condescension.

Reaction Score
Imo You nailed it.

The only question is whether pollsters move Louisville up 5/6 spots eking them ahead of Oregon. Pollsters don't normally move teams so dramatically. However, since both South Carolina and Baylor both lost this week, too......they might, and in the process, get the poll right this week.

There have been instances in the past when Uconn was clearly the best team in the country and were still lowered in the ratings by a loss (example; at Stanford fall 2014-15 I think). The only time a team ranked number one loses, and stays number one, is after a season is nearly concluded. This is not the current case which is why Oregon will drop.

Have to admit though, Oregon's win over Team USA was so impressive I expected them to go start to end without a loss.
If I remember correctly in the 2000 season Uconn was undefeated and lost to Tennessee in the second game they played that year year but still was No. 1 in the next poll that came out!

Reaction Score

And Oregon at 13th behind Abilene Christian, Richmond and Creighton? Head bangHead bangHead bangHead bang

It's an RPI Ranking. Check back today or next or next...it will change again. Head bang

Reaction Score
Well it sounds like it was a great few days of games. I admit being a little surprised Oregon and Baylor both went down. Baylor definitely misses Cox and I hope she is able to come back healthy.

Those were my two favorites to win the title from the end of last season and I stand by that belief if healthy. I have't had a chance to view the Huskies yet but know the "Fantastic Four" are as good as any of the best four starters on any other top team. Where Uconn could run into trouble is against of of those teams that simply has more depth and bodies inside.

Would I be shocked to see the Huskies back in the FF or even winning the title? Stranger things have happened for sure and while I don't think they have all the pieces this year I know there is a lot of quality basketball to be played from many teams.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I have UConn as 2 based on their roster not the opponents theyve played., much like the preseaon poll. The tuff schedule for UConn is coming up with Oregon and Baylor leading the way. I see the early polls having Oregon St out of the top 4. I dont see them moving up until the top 4 teams begin to lose a few games or Oregon St beats top 4 teams. Oregon St has been impressive so far this season but they arent ranked top 2 in there conference how can Oregon St be ranked in the top 4 nationally? Hey Oregon St is a good team but until they beat Oregon and Stanford or Oregon and Stanford loose a few games I dont see Oregon St as a top 4 team. I do see UConn as a top 3 team based on their roster and potential. If UConn looses to Oregon and Baylor UConns ranking will change a little bit. If UConn looses to a top 25 team it will change a little bit more. Frankly this season there isnt a clear front runner in WCBB. There are some standout teams, some good teams and some inconsistent teams in the top 10. It will all play out.

Reaction Score
I have UConn as 2 based on their roster not the opponents theyve played., much like the preseaon poll. The tuff schedule for UConn is coming up with Oregon and Baylor leading the way. I see the early polls having Oregon St out of the top 4. I dont see them moving up until the top 4 teams begin to lose a few games or Oregon St beats top 4 teams. Oregon St has been impressive so far this season but they arent ranked top 2 in there conference how can Oregon St be ranked in the top 4 nationally? Hey Oregon St is a good team but until they beat Oregon and Stanford or Oregon and Stanford loose a few games I dont see Oregon St as a top 4 team. I do see UConn as a top 3 team based on their roster and potential. If UConn looses to Oregon and Baylor UConns ranking will change a little bit. If UConn looses to a top 25 team it will change a little bit more. Frankly this season there isnt a clear front runner in WCBB. There are some standout teams, some good teams and some inconsistent teams in the top 10. It will all play out.
Read a little further @Tonyc. I don't have OSU as #2. I actually have OSU as #8 in my current Boneyard Poll and UCONN #9. How you or anyone can justify UCONN as #2, ahead of other teams like Stanford, Louisville, Oregon, etc. is beyond me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom