UConn-Texas Game Thread | Page 28 | The Boneyard

UConn-Texas Game Thread

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Right now I'd say this team is maybe the 9th or 10th best team he's ever had. Definitely not better than any of the big three teams, not better than any of the Bird-DT era teams, and a couple of the Maya-TC teams were better.

That opinion is influenced by their troubles against ND and Texas. But on paper this team is loaded. Now to get the sum of the parts playing to its optimal level.

Reaction Score
Right now I'd say this team is maybe the 9th or 10th best team he's ever had. Definitely not better than any of the big three teams, not better than any of the Bird-DT era teams, and a couple of the Maya-TC teams were better.

You are so right. The last two Stewart teams would have throughly beat the team that was on the court tonight. If anyone thinks this years team is better than those they have no idea what there talking about.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Stevens had some great moves around the basket. Two transfers (White and Stevens) had a big impact in this game.
Yes, and she was not the one letting Texas' guards drive to the basket. The other players on the team were responsible for that. Some have complained about her defense. She will learn defense.

Reaction Score

I'm not able to rank the current team because we still don't know if Gabby and Napheesa will get back to performing at the level they did last year.........if they do, all I know is that with the addition of AS it is quite a formidable group........

Reaction Score
KLS and Dangerfield have been stellar. Nurse is working her butt off too but hasn’t gotten involved offensively besides transition. Bad half for Collier and Williams...several turnovers and bad plays.

Texas is getting wide open looks when the players are getting in the lane and the ball movement is there. A couple of missed layups and bad shot selection during a stretch in the 2nd may come back to bite them. Atkins makes a huge difference when she’s on the court since she’s so athletic and can score and get others involved. She needs to be on the court for Texas to stay in this.
Interesting how Gabby has struggled against the Texas front line. Wonder why Geno letting her stay at the key. Not a strength.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
What is unsaid is that while Z missed a couple of defensive plays, she has exhibited the most reliable offense on the team. No one can guard her, particularly when she takes her time and doesn't rush.

Gee I thought that was Lou.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
1995- 7 players 2000- 8+ 2002- 7 2003- 7 2004- 7 2009- 8 2010- 8 2013- 8 2014- 7 2015- 7 2016- 6 (with Gabby, Napheesa as the 7th and 8th).

So really only in 2016 did we go that route of 6. And that was having 3 seniors who were smart and experienced and obviously talented enough where it didn't hurt us. Usually 6 is a recipe for a 2011 or 2017 type Final Four loss where foul trouble and lack of depth hurt.

I'm referring to the players UConn utilizes against top competition and late in the NCAA tourney. One year it was just Stewart, Jefferson, Dolson, Hartley, KML, and Stokes. Another it was mostly Stewart, Tuck, Jefferson, Nurse, and KML. It's happened before.

Reaction Score
How did Texas ever lose to TCU?
Texas bigs powerful but tend to get winded. Thank goodness they are not in game shape. As game went on, they missed several close shots.

Reaction Score
UConn had the door wide open for them last year and lost to a 22-pt underdog. I no longer try to minimize threats down to a select few.

you have a point there, I guess I was trying to say that many of the traditional adversaries have been weakened by graduation or injuries so the total number of obvious challengers is down.............the scary thing about Miss St is that I thought they would be down this year after graduating a few important players but they actually are far more dominant so far this season.........

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I'm not able to rank the current team because we still don't know if Gabby and Napheesa will get back to performing at the level they did last year....if they do, all I know is that with the addition of AS it is quite a formidable group...

It's the only team in history with three returning All Americans. Add in a national POY talent in Stevens, a terrific player in Nurse, a future All American--and Olympian according to her coach--in Dangerfield, and the national high school player of the year.

The team SHOULD be a monster.

Reaction Score
McCarty is a player. Earning a ton of respect tonight.
Can blow by Crystal any time she wants. Unfortunately, she appears to be the only Texas player in 100% game shape. Seems to be a yearly issue for Texas. Never understood why good players and OK strategy never was complimented by commitment to being best shape.

Reaction Score
Crystal and Lou Players if the Game! No question about it

A nod to Kia for her toughness.
Well, there could be some doubt.....the radio crew gave the Pog to Gabby

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
By the way, for those who are lamenting the fact that none of UConn’s freshmen saw the floor tonight, it should be pointed out that TX has the #3, 4 & 33 freshmen in the country, and none of them saw the floor either.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom