Men - UConn Summer Baseball 2023 | The Boneyard

Men UConn Summer Baseball 2023

Reaction Score
I did a player search for the upcoming 2023 season of the the three main college baseball summer leagues in New England. Here is a list of UConn players as well as some incoming recruits (transfers and incoming freshmen) currently slated to play summer ball in these leagues. Obviously, this list is subject to change, there are sure to be both additions and delations to this list. There are also many other summer leagues around the country where UConn players could potentially show up, but there are usually a bunch of UConn players playing in the three leagues listed below.

Cape Cod League

Brady Afthim - Bourne Braves
Ryan Birchard - Brewster Whitecaps
Matt Garbowski - Chatham Anglers
Braden Quinn - Harwich Mariners
Andrew Sears - Harwich Mariners
David Smith - Harwich Mariners
Jack Sullivan - Harwich Mariners

NECBL

Jude Abbadessa - Mystic Schooners
Maddix Dalena - Mystic Schooners
Tom Ellisen - Mystic Schooners
Niko Brini - Newport Gulls
Levi McAllister - Sanford Mainers
Mitchell Pascarella - Vermont Mountaineers
Caleb Shpur - North Adams SteepleCats
Jake Studley - Ocean State Waves

Futures League

Tom Galusha - Westfield Starfires
Devin Wolff - Westfield Starfires
Ryan Juliano - Nashua Silver Knights

Reaction Score
I did a player search for the upcoming 2023 season of the the three main college baseball summer leagues in New England. Here is a list of UConn players as well as some incoming recruits (transfers and incoming freshmen) currently slated to play summer ball in these leagues. Obviously, this list is subject to change, there are sure to be both additions and delations to this list. There are also many other summer leagues around the country where UConn players could potentially show up, but there are usually a bunch of UConn players playing in the three leagues listed below.

Cape Cod League

NECBL

Futures League

studley planning on coming back for a 6th year?

Reaction Score
studley planning on coming back for a 6th year?

Don't know, but I have heard that some of the players that transferred to UConn as Grad students apparently have 2 seasons of eligibility left to play college baseball. Don't know which players this applies to, but Studley could be one of them.

Ben Huber came to UConn as a Grad student last season, he is now in his second year of eligibility this season as well.

Reaction Score
Don't know, but I have heard that some of the players that transferred to UConn as Grad students apparently have 2 seasons of eligibility left to play college baseball. Don't know which players this applies to, but Studley could be one of them.

Ben Huber came to UConn as a Grad student last season, he is now in his second year of eligibility this season as well.
I guess the NCAA gave D3 kids 2020 and 2021 free as far as eligibility goes. So they would have 2 years left to play if they choose too

Reaction Score
Question- I see some starters on a summer team but not others? Any reason ? (Padilla, TC,Morton)….

Reaction Score
Question- I see some starters on a summer team but not others? Any reason ? (Padilla, TC,Morton)….

The collegiate summer baseball leagues don't start up until late May/June. As I said in my previous post, there is plenty of time for additions and deletions of players to various teams in these leagues, so players currently not listed could end up showing up on a summer roster somewhere, or for that matter, dropping off rosters where they are currently listed) Also, there are plenty of other collegiate summer leagues around the country where UConn players could potentially show up. For instance, it is not unusual for UConn players to show up in the Perfect Game League in upstate New York or in the California Collegiate League, as well as other leagues. Just have to see what happens.

I didn't bother searching all the other leagues, since they don't always have UConn players playing in those leagues. There are over 80+ collegiate summer leagues around the country, it just isn't as profitable to do preliminary searches of those leagues like it is the three main collegiate summer leagues in New England, which always have several UConn players in those leagues.

As for TC Simmons, I suspect this is his last year of eligibility with UConn baseball (in previous summers Simmons had played in the California Collegiate League). Anyway, not all players end up playing in the collegiate summer leagues, I imagine for a variety of reasons, including resting up from a long season or recovering for injuries among other reasons. It is also not uncommon for players who are eligible for the MLB draft (both Morton and Padilla are eligible to be drafted this summer) not to play in summer ball.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Note on Chris Brown and CCBL in this article:

-> The Barnums will be coached by Jimmy Chaves (St. Joseph High varsity coach) and Chris Bugyi (an assistant at St. Joseph).

The roster has already been filling up, with 22 committed players. The players range from junior third baseman Chris Brown of UConn to three Fairfield Warde high school seniors committed to play college baseball next fall. <-

In the Covid summer of 2020 when a number of summer collegiate leagues did not play, several UConn players played in the CCBL. Aside from that year, not sure when the last UConn player was involved in that league. In the past it has been tough to get any information out about this league (including rosters), as it does not put out a lot of info on its website or elsewhere. Hope with expansion that info about the league gets more available.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Cape Cod League

NECBL

Futures League

A couple additions to the UConn player summer ball list in the NECBL:

Zach Fogell - Newport Gulls
Paul Tammaro - North Adams SteepleCats

Reaction Score

Cape Cod League

NECBL

Futures League

A couple additions to the UConn player summer ball list in the NECBL:

Zach Fogell - Newport Gulls
Paul Tammaro - North Adams SteepleCats

Another addition to the UConn player summer ball list:

Futures League

Gavin Greger - New Britain Bees

Reaction Score
Worcester Bravehearts are in the Futures League, Tommy Turner will be a UConn freshman next season:

Reaction Score

Futures League

Gavin Greger - New Britain Bees

Michael Oates - Brockton Rox

Reaction Score
The Futures League starts its summer season today. Kind of funny they do this with so many conference tournaments going on, but the Futures League gets a bunch of players somewhere other than NCAA D1.

Reaction Score
Went to the home opener of the Norwich Sea Unicorns of the Futures League last night. They have no UConn players currently on their roster, and I don't know if they will have any this season. Rosters in the summer college leagues seem to have frequent changes as players come and go, especially in the Futures League.

Funny thing is, on the Norwich roster were 2 players who were at one point on UConn's roster, but neither of them ever played a game for UConn, Jackson Ferrigno and Kolby Pascarelli. Both players played for Norwich last summer season as well.

Reaction Score
Went to the home opener of the Norwich Sea Unicorns of the Futures League last night. They have no UConn players currently on their roster, and I don't know if they will have any this season. Rosters in the summer college leagues seem to have frequent changes as players come and go, especially in the Futures League.

Funny thing is, on the Norwich roster were 2 players who were at one point on UConn's roster, but neither of them ever played a game for UConn, Jackson Ferrigno and Kolby Pascarelli. Both players played for Norwich last summer season as well.
Ferrigno had a pretty good freshman year at North Alabama

Reaction Score
Ferrigno had a pretty good freshman year at North Alabama

Also, Ferrigno did pretty well in Norwich last summer.

The Futures League is entertaining, but it is also near the bottom level of college baseball summer leagues.

Reaction Score
Also, Ferrigno did pretty well in Norwich last summer.

The Futures League is entertaining, but it is also near the bottom level of college baseball summer leagues.
dbmill - have you been to New Britain Bees games and if so, how does it compare to Norwich? Thanks

Reaction Score
dbmill - have you been to New Britain Bees games and if so, how does it compare to Norwich? Thanks

New Britain Bees as you probably know are also currently in the Futures League. Many years ago I went to a few games in New Britain, but we haven't been there in many years.

My wife and I have been going to baseball games at Dodd Stadium in Norwich since it opened in 1995 with the Norwich Navigators of the Eastern League. We live about 15 minutes from the stadium.

I remember the first few seasons we did not have season tickets. The games at the time were carried on a local radio station, and during that first season they would have trivia contests, and the prize would be tickets to games. I won that contest several times that season, winning those tickets. After the first or second season, they change the prize to a free Pizza Hut pizza, which to me is probably the worst pizza I ever had, which is saying something since my wife and I love pizza.

Anyway, after a few seasons, my wife and I inherited a season ticket package that some friends of ours no longer were able to continue. That was probably around 1998 or 1999. We continued to be season ticket holders to minor league baseball up until the time that MLB decided to destroy the short season New York-Penn League which the Norwich team had become a member of after it was dropped from the Eastern League. At that point the team owners decided to become members of the Futures League. My wife and I want to see baseball continue in Norwich and decided college summer baseball was something worthwhile, so we have continued being season ticket holders since that transition a few seasons ago.

I nice little prize the first couple of seasons with summer college baseball was having a few UConn players on the Norwich team. Right now Norwich does not have any UConn players listed as possibly showing up on the team, but I'm holding out hope that they pick up a current or future Husky at some point.

Reaction Score
College summer ball leagues are in the process of starting up, the Futures League has been playing games for a couple of weeks now.

With UConn baseball now out of the NCAA Tournament, a bunch of UConn players will be joining their various summer league teams. The NECBL has a number of UConn players scheduled to play in that league, and that league starts up tonight.

Reaction Score
College summer ball leagues are in the process of starting up, the Futures League has been playing games for a couple of weeks now.

With UConn baseball now out of the NCAA Tournament, a bunch of UConn players will be joining their various summer league teams. The NECBL has a number of UConn players scheduled to play in that league, and that league starts up tonight.
I saw Paul Tammaro on the Bourne Braves roster this morning. Happy for him.

Reaction Score
I saw Paul Tammaro on the Bourne Braves roster this morning. Happy for him.

There are a bunch of UConn players scheduled to play in both the Cape Cod League and the NECBL. I'm sure there are some other UConn players scattered around other summer leagues as well. The summer rosters are often changing during their short season, so players are always popping up in other places.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom