UConn still has four open scholarships for next season but likely won’t fill all of them. | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn still has four open scholarships for next season but likely won’t fill all of them.

Reaction Score
Sure he can play himself out of that role, but I am talking about the starting lineup to start the year which is going to impact the rest of the recruiting cycle whether you think it should or not. Remy started the season out as a starter, but that is an entirely different situation. All I am saying is that if you don't think Alleyne was promised a significant role to come here you don't understand how this all works. If we were truly after someone better than Alleyne we would've been linked to them by now.
Yeah this is how I see things at this point. If Ramey/Rudi Williams were out after Alleyne committed, no starter quality transfer is coming. We haven’t been linked to anyone else in that tier anyway.

Given where we are now I’d love Odukale, but haven’t heard anything on that front, so I’m not expecting that to happen.

Reaction Score
There is still room for one more 25MPG guard before we move on to filling out the 5-10MPG bench pieIces though. 25MPG means starting caliber guard in my mind. I feel like we can find someone better than Femi or Diarra for that role.
This isn't true unless you want Johnson and Karaban to get less than 15 min each.

This is how I see it:
uconnprojection23.png

(From Hoop-Explorer)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There is still room for one more 25MPG guard before we move on to filling out the 5-10MPG bench pieces though. 25MPG means starting caliber guard in my mind. I feel like we can find someone better than Femi or Diarra for that role.
I think Femi is about as good as we can hope for at this point, but I would love to be wrong.

Reaction Score
This isn't true unless you want Johnson and Karaban to get less than 15 min each.

This is how I see it:
uconnprojection23.png

(From Hoop-Explorer)
Slating Karaban and Johnson for 35 minutes seems high to me. Johnson looked very raw last year in the limited minutes that he played, and we don't know anything about Karaban. I'd be more on the conservative side for their minutes, mostly because I think Jackson is going to be spending a lot of time at the 4

Reaction Score
Slating Karaban and Johnson for 35 minutes seems high to me. Johnson looked very raw last year in the limited minutes that he played, and we don't know anything about Karaban. I'd be more on the conservative side for their minutes, mostly because I think Jackson is going to be spending a lot of time at the 4
Some of those guys are going to end up playing more than 30 so it goes both ways. The point is we already have a lot of guys who are going to get a lot of minutes. It is not a very easy job to sell a kid to come into this situation.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
And as I keep pointing out, Hawkins was just as raw in his early limited minutes. He played 398 minutes. Johnson played 68 minutes. The first 68 minutes Hawkins played were at least as bad, and defensively, worse, than Johnson's. He played out of it and got much better. I expect the same of Johnson. He didn't get that opportunity because Whaley, Polley and Akok soaked up the minutes. Some of Johnson's time was actually as a 5 when Sango and then Whaley were hurt.

This board gives up on highly rated recruits far too quickly, while embracing guys who have never played a minute as if they are NBA all stars. It's mind boggling. You have to throw out the lack of minutes for freshmen as an indicator of ability until this absurd extra Covid year is gone. Thank God Cole and Martin moved on. The 2022-23 UConn team would be much better if Whaley and Polley had.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Alleyne is definitely starting. He didn’t leave 30 mpg at Va Tech to play 20 here.
So who’s getting benched?

Jackson, Newton, Karaban, or Hawkins?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Karaban isn't coming in here and starting right away as a true freshman.
Probably right. But like Akok before, he's not quite a true freshman. He's been practicing with the team since January. Meanwhile, Johnson is a Sophomore.

It's a good problem to have, but yes, somebody is going to get squeezed to the bench who could probably start. It won't be Newton or Sanogo, and almost certainly won't be Jackson. Aside from that, who knows?

Reaction Score
So who’s getting benched?

Jackson, Newton, Karaban, or Hawkins?
My guess is Karaban, but I am big fan of his so if he does end up starting over Alleyne that is fine with me. I am just saying what I think is going to happen not necessarily what I want.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
And as I keep pointing out, Hawkins was just as raw in his early limited minutes. He played 398 minutes. Johnson played 68 minutes. The first 68 minutes Hawkins played were at least as bad, and defensively, worse, than Johnson's. He played out of it and got much better. I expect the same of Johnson. He didn't get that opportunity because Whaley, Polley and Akok soaked up the minutes. Some of Johnson's time was actually as a 5 when Sango and then Whaley were hurt.

This board gives up on highly rated recruits far too quickly, while embracing guys who have never played a minute as if they are NBA all stars. It's mind boggling. You have to throw out the lack of minutes for freshmen as an indicator of ability until this absurd extra Covid year is gone. Thank God Cole and Martin moved on. The 2022-23 UConn team would be much better if Whaley and Polley had.
Oh you mean to tell me it took the freshman getting some real minutes under his feet to improve? Who thought that can happen. Diggins looked terrible in his 5 garbage minutes of the season against Georgetown so there's no way he can ever be a solid D1 PG.

Completely agree with Whaley and Polley, especially Polley. We invested far too much in a guy who was just a streaky shooter. Those minutes could've gone to Hawkins, Akok, and Johnson and we would've been MUCH better for it. It's not like Tyrese and AJ didn't prove to be really good in that 4 spot. Better rebounders, defenders, all that.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Probably right. But like Akok before, he's not quite a true freshman. He's been practicing with the team since January. Meanwhile, Johnson is a Sophomore.

It's a good problem to have, but yes, somebody is going to get squeezed to the bench who could probably start. It won't be Newton or Sanogo, and almost certainly won't be Jackson. Aside from that, who knows?

Barring injuries, the starting lineup to begin the season is almost assuredly going to be Newton, Alleyne, Hawk, Jackson, and Sanogo. If it's not that lineup, I would imagine it's because Samson played his way into the starting lineup and Alleyne will be the first guard off the bench playing 25+ minutes.

Reaction Score
Slating Karaban and Johnson for 35 minutes seems high to me. Johnson looked very raw last year in the limited minutes that he played, and we don't know anything about Karaban. I'd be more on the conservative side for their minutes, mostly because I think Jackson is going to be spending a lot of time at the 4.
Freshman minutes at UConn under Hurley (mpg):
Akok 28
Bouknight 26
Gaffney 19
--
Sanogo 17
Jackson 16
Hawkins 15
--
Adams 13
Johnson 5
Diggins 5
Springs 3

I put them into buckets. Transcendent talents get 25+ minutes as freshmen (Bouknight). Freshmen that are really needed at their position due to roster and/or talent issues get 15-30 minutes (Akok, Gaffney). High quality freshmen who earn their way onto the court despite more experienced veterans in the way get around 15 (Sanogo, Jackson, Hawkins). Raw freshmen get 5-15 min, depending on what we need at the position.

I expect Johnson's "rawness" and team's depth in frontcourt put him basically 1 year behind. He'll be at that 15-20 mpg mark this season, barring injuries. With his pseudo redshirting experience and team need, Akok played 28 mpg. I don't expect Karaban to be that high because the overall talent level is higher, but I don't expect him in the 5-15 bucket either because he's too skilled and his shooting too valuable. I would be surprised if he wasn't in the 12+ and more likely around 15 min.

So I could see 30 instead of 35, but we're then talking 12-17 min for all backup guards outside of Newton/Alleyne/Hawk, definitely not 25. And it might be 2 backup guys spitting those mintues, not just 1.

Last edited:

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Barring injuries, the starting lineup to begin the season is almost assuredly going to be Newton, Alleyne, Hawk, Jackson, and Sanogo. If it's not that lineup, I would imagine it's because Samson played his way into the starting lineup and Alleyne will be the first guard off the bench playing 25+ minutes.
So Jackson is the stretch 4 that he’s been talking about?

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
So Jackson is the stretch 4 that he’s been talking about?
Who, Hurley? Do you have a quote or something? I expect Jackson to play a good amount at the 4, but I wouldn't call him a stretch 4.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Freshman minutes at UConn under Hurley (mpg):
Akok 28
Bouknight 26
Gaffney 19
--
Sanogo 17
Jackson 16
Hawkins 15
--
Adams 13
Johnson 5
Diggins 5
Springs 3

I put them into buckets. Transcendent talents get 25+ minutes as freshmen (Bouknight). Freshmen that are really needed at their position due to roster and/or talent issues get 15-30 minutes (Akok, Gaffney). High quality freshmen who earn their way onto the court despite more experienced veterans in the way get around 15 (Sanogo, Jackson, Hawkins). Raw freshmen get 5-15 min, depending on what we need at the position.

I expect Johnson's "rawness" and team's depth in frontcourt put him basically 1 year behind. He'll be at that 15-20 mpg mark this season, barring injuries. With his pseudo redshirting experience and team need, Akok played 28 mpg. I don't expect Karaban to be that high because the overall talent level is higher, but I don't expect him in the 5-15 bucket either because he's too skilled and his shooting too valuable. I would be surprised if he wasn't in the 12+ and more likely around 15 min.

So I could see 30 instead of 35, but we're then talking 12-17 min for all backup guards outside of Newton/Alleyne/Hawk, definitely not 25. And it might be 2 backup guys spitting those mintues, not just 1.
I mostly agree. But the overall talent level of the team has changed from the time Akok and Gaffney played major minutes. That is a big factor.

Hawkins is a mix of "played his way onto the court" and "we didn't have a SG so played SF Martin at SG". Once Hawkins' defense improved, he became a vastly better option as an extra shooter than Polley, especially since Gaffney couldn't make anything. Johnson played behind the returning 6th year Big East DPOY, and Akok, and 6th year 6th man of the year Polley. Many of his minutes came when Sanogo and Whaley were out, as a 5. He was just blocked. I think that was a mistake by Hurley, but hopefully he can make up for it.

On the whole, I'm with you. The need now is a 15 minute backup guard and another 5 minute depth guard or wing.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

I agree with the exception of Whaley - this team will miss him much more that most realize
Loved Martin and Cole but it was time for them to move on
Polley was a pure streak shooter

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I agree with the exception of Whaley - this team will miss him much more that most realize
Loved Martin and Cole but it was time for them to move on
Polley was a pure streak shooter
Whaley definitely helped last year. I just think playing him so much hurt this year's team. And I think you can make the case Polley really should have played very little. I honestly think Hurley felt intense pressure to win last year, and make up for the early loss to Maryland and relied too heavily on experienced but limited players.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Who, Hurley? Do you have a quote or something? I expect Jackson to play a good amount at the 4, but I wouldn't call him a stretch 4.
Yes Hurley.

He said this year we’re returning to a more-traditional 4 out 1 in offense. Meaning we’d go with a stretch 4 or play 4 guards.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Yes Hurley.

He said this year we’re returning to a more-traditional 4 out 1 in offense. Meaning we’d go with a stretch 4 or play 4 guards.

Oh ok, that quote. Yes, I expect Jackson to play the 4 a good amount this year.

Reaction Score
Serious question for anyone who wants to chime in. If you are playing 4 out, wouldn't that infer that you have a stretch 4? Is Jackson truly a stretch 4?

pj

Reaction Score

This is how I see it:
uconnprojection23.png

(From Hoop-Explorer)

That's a very traditional lineup when Samson is on the floor at PF. which is half the time, and four-out style only when he's off the court.

Overall it looks very good, but a third guard would give a little more versatility to the roster and help them throw different looks.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom