UConn still has four open scholarships for next season but likely won’t fill all of them. | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UConn still has four open scholarships for next season but likely won’t fill all of them.

Reaction Score
Someone else will play the right wing position on offense that the 4 would normally play, because AJ will be up top, with Newton
ok i thought you were saying whoever is the "4" is automatically the one that should be in the corner. among the small ball starters hawkins would probably be best suited for that role since he's the weakest ball handler (besides sanogo) and potentially the best shooter. but he still wouldnt be limited to just catch and shoot corner threes on offensive.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
ok i thought you were saying whoever is the "4" is automatically the one that should be in the corner. among the small ball starters hawkins would probably be best suited for that role since he's the weakest ball handler (besides sanogo) and potentially the best shooter. but he still wouldnt be limited to just catch and shoot corner threes on offensive.
Hawk should be in the left wing, as Martin (and Hawk) was last year. That's the starting 3 spot (obviously everybody moves). The 4 is usually to the right. At least it has been for Hurley so far.

I guess what I am saying is that on offense, Newton and AJax will switch off between PG and SG between them. Just as we've seen before. That leaves Hawkins, Alleyne, Karaban and Johnson as "wings" on the offensive end. My general preference is go with one big one small. Others want to start the two smaller guys. That's all we are really talking about. I can see a benefit to being able to stretch the strong side with shooters, while having a guy with size that can attack the rim on cuts from the weak side. It just makes us harder to defend, better rebounding and gives us better rim protection on the defensive end. But Johnson/Karaban have to be able to defend and switch.

Reaction Score
So who’s getting benched?

Jackson, Newton, Karaban, or Hawkins?

I think it's very likely Alleyne doesn't start, but the answer here is very obviously Karaban. Do you think the guy who redshirted half a season last year is a lock starter?

Reaction Score
Are you suggesting he can’t shoot 3s? I think you’d be alone in that. Here is his HS coach.

"He has the ability to play four positions," David said. "He'll also bring in 3-point shooting from he four spot. He shot close to 40 percent from three this season."
I'm suggesting how much, or how little, you claim to know depends only on the point you're trying to make.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I think it's very likely Alleyne doesn't start, but the answer here is very obviously Karaban. Do you think the guy who redshirted half a season last year is a lock starter?
It’s either him or Samson Johnson.

Reaction Score
There's not much, Yann Farell is the only uncommitted guy we were connected to at any point for 2022. Haven't seen much on him lately but he'd be a really good target if he's still interested
along with another transfer G i'd be fine with the other 2 scholly's going to yann farell (#133- Brewster Academy) and avery brown (#181- Northfield Mount Hermon). then keep the last scholly open for a castle reclass this summer or midyear.

they arent the starters and studs some are expecting but unless we're ok with guys transferring out every year i think you need top ~150 3* types at the end of the bench. guys like springs that dont expect to play for a couple years, and if they do transfer they can be more easily replaced.

Last edited:

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I’m thinking SJ to start too. I don’t think we have the depth to stay a small ball lineup and it doesn’t make sense to go big when you go to your bench IMO.

Reaction Score
along with another transfer G i'd be fine with the other 2 scholly's going to yann farell (#133- Brewster Academy) and avery brown (#181- Northfield Mount Hermon). then keep the last scholly open for a castle reclass this summer or midyear.

they arent the starters and studs some are expecting but unless we're ok with guys transferring out every year i think you need top ~150 3* types at the end of the bench. guys like springs that dont expect to play for a couple years, and if they do transfer they can be more easily replaced.
Avery Brown is going to Columbia.

Reaction Score
Hey, I like Samson Johnson's potential but until he shows he can stay in front of top PFs he's not starting vs. them.
That's strike one.
He came from HS dominating around the rim with his athleticism which is high.
Since then he's obviously put work in to lengthen his range but his jumper is very odd - sidespin - rarely leading to sustained success.
Strike 2.
So, if we're 4-out, without a lot of improvement over the summer I don't think we'll see Samson starting but as thousands here have said, I'd love to be proved wrong.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Avery Brown is going to Columbia.
Yeah I mentioned him a few weeks ago and was bummed to hear he had just committed. Seemed like a great fit as a big developmental PG.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I doubt he comes off the bench to start the year, but it would help tremendously for our 8 man rotation if he did.

Newton
Jackson
Hawkins
Samson/Karaban
Sanogo

Alleyne
Samson/Karaban
Don/Richie/ball handler depending on matchup

In theory Alleyne rotates in first for any of the three traditional perimeter guys, would get him lots of minutes. Works if Andre takes huge steps as a ball handler/playmaker. There’s enough shooting if the winner at PF can hit 33% and up on better volume than Whaley.

Reaction Score
A lot of energy/speculation being expended by the Yard on our nine man roster.. Imagine what will happen once we have a full roster?? (per DH's definition)

Reaction Score
I'm probably going to get told I'm hand wringing here but I'm still pretty concerned we have a gaping hole in the back of our roster while watching other teams in the BE improve their rosters. I understand we brought in two good players but we are one injury away from 18-12.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
How much cap room do we have left?
Tonight Show Laughing GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Reaction Score
I'm probably going to get told I'm hand wringing here but I'm still pretty concerned we have a gaping hole in the back of our roster while watching other teams in the BE improve their rosters. I understand we brought in two good players but we are one injury away from 18-12.
Well good news, it's may 5th and there are still 600 players in the portal

Reaction Score
People in the know have basically posted that the staff is working their collective arses off recruiting. They’re not just sitting around enjoying spring days.

We’re gonna fill our roster out with some good players. Need to show a little patience. Most of the BY behaving like petulant 5-year olds that got denied a cookie by mommy.

Reaction Score
It's the first week in May. Very few schools have completed rosters at this point. Seton Hall has 3 scholarships open, Providence 2 scholarships open, Butler has 2 scholarships open, Villanova technically only has 1 but assuming Justin Moore is out for year that means they also have 2 open. Outside the Big East, Syracuse has 2 open scholarships, Illinois has 3 open scholarships, Texas Tech has 2 open scholarships available. And that's what I found in 5 minutes of research.

Creighton is an outlier in that their roster is already complete and other teams in the Big East that have say 1 spot open like SJU or Marquette are significantly less talented. As @CallMeBruce noted, there are still a lot of players, good players, in the portal and it was noted earlier this week by Borges it sounds like we will see 1-2 guys on campus next week which should finish out players that will see any minutes this season.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I'm not sure AJ fits into a 4 out and 1 in offense. All 4 out have to be able to hit an outside shot when in movement and his shooting style doesn't support that. In addition, I am not convinced he is the ball handler in tight quarters to play the 2. I feel Johnson may be good at the 4 due to his athleticism and Hawkins is ideal at the 3 because he can move and shoot like Rip did (hopefully). I've seen Karaban shoot in practice and the kid can flat out hit from the outside including from the 3. But can he defend with consistency? There's a lot we don't know with this team. DH may think he has a 4 out team but in reality maybe he doesn't. I am not all comfortable with his decisions concerning rotations etc.
We will all see in less than 6 months!

Reaction Score
People in the know have basically posted that the staff is working their collective arses off recruiting. They’re not just sitting around enjoying spring days.

We’re gonna fill our roster out with some good players. Need to show a little patience. Most of the BY behaving like petulant 5-year olds that got denied a cookie by mommy.
You think they're "acting?" How cute.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom