UConn - St. John postgame | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn - St. John postgame

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think this is a top 10 team. The question is whether they are top 4 in their current configuration.
Just as an example, if we were to play Iowa or Baylor (don't worry, I know they're not on the schedule) and win, it wouldn't strike me as an upset. I'd triangulate my idea of where UConn belongs from there.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
To me, the game clearly demonstrated that Ines has earned a spot in an 8-player rotation. I would like to think that Geno sees this as clearly as I do. ;)

She should play in all four quarters, even in competitive games, more or less as Q already does. She should reduce some of Paige's and Nika's minutes, which I think they would appreciate (not without some misgivings).

She has handled the minutes that she has gotten almost flawlessly, and has made some very athletic plays on both offense and defense. She is, if anything, more athletic than Ashlynn or Nika, although she isn't as good a shooter, nor does she have the same basketball IQ as they do. But more minutes could easily fix that.

Reaction Score
Ash is a great scorer for sure with a great career ahead of her but comparisons to Azzi are not accurate in my mind. There is no comparison in the shot. Azzi has the quickest release maybe ever at UCONN. She is also a more fluid prolific scorer. We haven't seen her at her best and I hope we do next year. Then we can judge side by side.
They are two completely different players. However, I Dont‘t recall Azzi as being as consistent a scorer as Shade. Also, Shade is a much better defender and has a better motor and is an all around player. Azzi is more of a one dimensional player, a shooter. Next year I can see Shade at the 3 and when Azzi is able to play, the 2.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Just as an example, if we were to play Iowa or Baylor (don't worry, I know they're not on the schedule) and win, it wouldn't strike me as an upset. I'd triangulate my idea of where UConn belongs from there.
I'm looking forward to the did the matchup with South Carolina. That'll be a big test.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Aaliyah and Ice had a couple of good high-low plays. If they keep that up and i prove, that would make IConn a really tough out in March.

This was Nika’s best game since Iowa last year. I’m sure Drake was saying “someone get her outta my face.”

Reaction Score
I'm impressed with Ashlynn Shade. Her shot, her confidence and how quick she gets it up is stellar.

Nika is playing like she's ready to go to the next level. She's become a 3 and D player at a very high level.

Paige does Paige things and Aaliyah is Aaliyah. Ice Brady is that girl and the more confidence she gets the worse it is for every other team. She's making up her mind now. When she gets it where she wants, she shoots it and when she doesn't, she doesn't.

Reaction Score
Another solid win. No this was an impressive win. What I really love about this game and the growth of the team each game, the offense is not one dimensional. We got options. Today, I was just happy that Ice had her breakout game. I got goosebumps. She played, I think, her most minutes since that Texas game and she did really well out there. I ain't too worried about her turnovers. Players make mistakes and if you ain't making mistakes, you ain't trying. Ice will learn from those mistakes and keep improving. Her confidence is growing.

Great win!!

Reaction Score
To me, the game clearly demonstrated that Ines has earned a spot in an 8-player rotation. I would like to think that Geno sees this as clearly as I do. ;)

She should play in all four quarters, even in competitive games, more or less as Q already does. She should reduce some of Paige's and Nika's minutes, which I think they would appreciate (not without some misgivings).

She has handled the minutes that she has gotten almost flawlessly, and has made some very athletic plays on both offense and defense. She is, if anything, more athletic than Ashlynn or Nika, although she isn't as good a shooter, nor does she have the same basketball IQ as they do. But more minutes could easily fix that.
Paige plays 28 minutes a game. She played 24 tonight. Not sure she wants to be giving up anymore minutes than she already is.

Reaction Score
I absolutely agree with hoophuskee regarding the fadeaway...Post players can never have too many moves...If she has this shot along with banging away inside, it can be a big asset...especially when she's playing one of the super bigs....
I though that was a spectacular shot.
I think the idea is people think it’s her primary move, which isn’t really what you want. Unless you’ve proven it’s a great weapon. I don’t think she’s done that. Like it’s nice AE can step out and shoot midrange jumpers but she’s not that successful at it and the versatility kind of becomes moot. If Ice wants to be a shooter, she needs to hit more shots and then we can talk about how good of a finesse big she is. She doesn’t really have an identity yet.

Reaction Score
An absolute pleasure watching this. What an amazing fun game.

1-- Again - it really is amazing how well KK and Ashlynn they play off of each other. Throw in Q's athleticism and there are times during the game I find myself yelling out "wow." They remain remarkable.

2--- Paige's flow was surreal.

3-- A few years ago I recall Geno lamenting that the Offense sputtered a lot because they didn't have enough shooters. I was sort of expecting Azzi and Caroline this year along with Paige and Nika being decent to have an incredibly strong perimeter game (even Aaliyah hits outside shots.). It's remarkable that I'm seeing it even without Azzi and Caroline. .

4-- I love Kara and Meg-- love them. But I was a guard and prefer guard play. They obviously don't. I'd like to know the context that they say Geno doesn't like Ice taking fallaways. OFC you don't want that to be her signature move. But she took it once and she hit it. Other times she has taken it-- - it's a soft shot. She has the sweetest touch for a big as a frosh that UCONN has had in a long time. and we know Geno has no issue yanking bench players for taking crummy shots. The point is I don't feel that shot is that bad. I feel it's a good countermove shot. Take it once to twice a game. If she shows she can hit it-- why not?

As far as Ice -- again I love Kara - love her but in postgame they showed a highlight of Ice hitting a 15 footer. She was slightly disappointed that that was the highlight. She had to remark that she wanted inside. She is absolutely right that Ice needs to know how to use her size to score inside. However- I am more excited with the outside shot. Ice's inside game will be defensible vs some quality teams. But her outside shot will always be available. If she shows she can hit that consistently, UCONN is near indefensible (provided other teammates perform as they have.).
I think the main reason they don’t want Ice shooting fadeaway is because they are trying to bring out some physical play in her. I too felt that her shot was actually beautiful and basically textbook for a fadeaway! However, they want her going toward the basket right now. I would think that once she has learned what they are trying to teach her and has become an established scorer ( which she clearly will, as you can just see her confidence growing with every little success) then when she mixes that little fadeaway back into her arsenal, they will not say a word. Unless, she becomes too reliant on it of course! I am super excited about Ice! Her improvement is going to take this team to a whole new level!

Reaction Score
I think the idea is people think it’s her primary move, which isn’t really what you want. Unless you’ve proven it’s a great weapon. I don’t think she’s done that. Like it’s nice AE can step out and shoot midrange jumpers but she’s not that successful at it and the versatility kind of becomes moot. If Ice wants to be a shooter, she needs to hit more shots and then we can talk about how good of a finesse big she is. She doesn’t really have an identity yet.
I'm thinking that sometimes Kara and Meg get overly carried away with post play from bigs. It seems they don't want her taking the shot at all. Did you see after the game the show in which they asked Meg about Brady and she rolled her eyes? And as I pointed out, when they showed Ice in the highlights drilling the outside jumper Kara basically waved it off.

Again - I love them. They bring a ton of knwowldege and excitement and good anaylsis but I think that soemtimes the bias comes out a bit too much.

Reaction Score
I think the main reason they don’t want Ice shooting fadeaway is because they are trying to bring out some physical play in her. I too felt that her shot was actually beautiful and basically textbook for a fadeaway! However, they want her going toward the basket right now. I would think that once she has learned what they are trying to teach her and has become an established scorer ( which she clearly will, as you can just see her confidence growing with every little success) then when she mixes that little fadeaway back into her arsenal, they will not say a word. Unless, she becomes too reliant on it of course! I am super excited about Ice! Her improvement is going to take this team to a whole new level!
But she can show both physcial play, and make that fadeaway move on another play. She took one fadeaway in the game. She had more inside moves than the fadeaway. We hear all teh talk about how they want the freshmen (which she is ) to play sort of free. If she is shwoign she cna make a shot, why stifle this? They wouldn't stfile what the other three forsh do unless it is too much such as Q not passing enough. But in this game - it was one fadeaway. Adn we cna all se - that shot is soft.

I just would like to hear from Geno why he doesn't think she can do both if Kara and Meg are right that he is frustrated. In this game Ice had some tough inside moves. So in a blowout - it's great she also shows some other things just as we love guards to show other things. IMO both her inside moves and her shooting (even the fadeaway) should have been celebrated. They clealry did not celebrate the beauty fadeaway.

But again I'm a bit bias. I prefer guard play and players that can knock down shots. I love seeing Ice knock down shots. OFC she needs to be more physcial and it would be exciting to see her become a force inside. But feel she needs Tyler Phommachanh continue to show off her touch adn teh fadeaway is part of it. I can't belevie she didn't take any fadeaways. She is goign agaisnt smaller players now and she has taken some fadeaways. So, if that was something that was special coming out of High School which Geno says he wants the players to do- then let her do. Blowouts are perfect time to work on all of this and not just one apsect.

Reaction Score
I have a question for the Boneyard. It seems to me the UConn's defense was trapping on almost every possession, more than normal. They played like they were behind and there was only 15 seconds left in the game and needed a steal. This is a high risk / high reward gambit. For the most part it worked. StJ could not take advantage of this. Why?

1. UConn played it really well
2. Running clock hurt StJ because there was less time to break the trap
3. StJ just isn't that good, couldn't find the open guy.

Some combination of the above, or perhaps something else?

Reaction Score
Aaliyah and Ice had a couple of good high-low plays. If they keep that up and i prove, that would make IConn a really tough out in March.

This was Nika’s best game since Iowa last year. I’m sure Drake was saying “someone get her outta my face.”
When Drake sees her shadow from now on, she will think it's Nika Muhl. What an incredible job she did on her and without switches. She fought through or went around every pick.

Reaction Score
To me, the game clearly demonstrated that Ines has earned a spot in an 8-player rotation.
I see what you see and agree completely. I think the point of adding Inês to the regular rotation, and not just mop up minutes is to free up Paige Ash and Nika to be on the floor in the closing minutes of the most important games.

As for the recent spate of comparisons of Ash to Azzi, I think they’re not taking into account the defensive attention Azzi receives every moment she’s on the court. Ash has been a tremendous find for us and I expect her to grow into one of the top shooting guards in D1 before she’s done. But I’m not sure she’s quite there yet. Right now, she benefits from all the attention Paige gets and really makes opponents pay for any opening they give her. In a game against SC or ND, teams with enough good guards to avoid giving Ash any open looks, we’ll see how she rises to a new challenge. To do what Paige and Azzi do, she’ll have to get her own shot. I have a feeling she might be up to this challenge, if not now then soon.

Reaction Score
I have a question for the Boneyard. It seems to me the UConn's defense was trapping on almost every possession, more than normal. They played like they were behind and there was only 15 seconds left in the game and needed a steal. This is a high risk / high reward gambit. For the most part it worked. StJ could not take advantage of this. Why?

1. UConn played it really well
2. Running clock hurt StJ because there was less time to break the trap
3. StJ just isn't that good, couldn't find the open guy.

Some combination of the above, or perhaps something else?
As BBallF eluded to, Nika totally took away St. John's main scoring option. She denied passes to her and gave her nary an inch to operate so essentially St. John's offense had to operate with only four players. As Geno said, Nika said she wanted Drake with no switching. The intensity with which she executed that assignment fired up the rest of our very talented starting five to take St. John's out of any semblance of their normal offense.

Reaction Score
They are two completely different players. However, I Dont‘t recall Azzi as being as consistent a scorer as Shade. Also, Shade is a much better defender and has a better motor and is an all around player. Azzi is more of a one dimensional player, a shooter. Next year I can see Shade at the 3 and when Azzi is able to play, the 2.
I hate saying it, but given the play of Shade so far, and the on/off play of Azzi, I give Shade the nod for her overall impact when she is in the game (and she is in the game a lot). You hit the nail on the head with "consistent". However, next year, I would love to see a healthy Azzi, Ashlynn, Paige, Carolyn, and KK on the floor at the same time. That would be something!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I see what you see and agree completely. I think the point of adding Inês to the regular rotation, and not just mop up minutes is to free up Paige Ash and Nika to be on the floor in the closing minutes of the most important games.

As for the recent spate of comparisons of Ash to Azzi, I think they’re not taking into account the defensive attention Azzi receives every moment she’s on the court. Ash has been a tremendous find for us and I expect her to grow into one of the top shooting guards in D1 before she’s done. But I’m not sure she’s quite there yet. Right now, she benefits from all the attention Paige gets and really makes opponents pay for any opening they give her. In a game against SC or ND, teams with enough good guards to avoid giving Ash any open looks, we’ll see how she rises to a new challenge. To do what Paige and Azzi do, she’ll have to get her own shot. I have a feeling she might be up to this challenge, if not now then soon.
Ash is already quite good at creating her own shot. The next step in her development will be getting herself to the foul line more often.

Reaction Score
Ash is already quite good at creating her own shot. The next step in her development will be getting herself to the foul line more often.
I share your desire to stand up for Ash. But I also want to avoid putting too much pressure on a freshman. She gets to falter, to make mistakes, to grow even more.

Against BE competition she can get her own shot. And in the press, she gets her shot before the defense has settled in. Can she do it against the best teams when the press isn’t as effective and when she’s not just a rotation player but a 30+ minute starter? As I said, I expect she will be able to, if not now then soon. But she hasn’t had a real opportunity so far. In the new identity of the team, where she and KK are bulwarks of the offense, she is sure to get a lot more attention. We’re going to see how she does in the rematches with Creighton and Marquette, and especially in the games against ND and SC.

I’m pulling for her, and for KK, to force good teams to guard them and leave Nika open for 3s and not devote as much attention to Paige. She doesn’t have to score 15+ every game to make that happen. But she has to be treated as a threat by opposing teams.

Reaction Score
Actually according to the box score, it was Paige that had 7 rebounds not KK. AE had 10, Paige 7, Nika and Ice 4 each, and Ash, Q, Ines and team rebounds getting 3 each.
Nice pick up!... I got my assists and rebounds columns confused when checking the stats!! But wasn't that
a nice "feed" from INES to ASH in the last seconds of the game? It only goes as one assist in the stats
but says volumes about UCONN's team play and INES' unselfishness! GO HUSKIES!

Reaction Score
I hate saying it, but given the play of Shade so far, and the on/off play of Azzi, I give Shade the nod for her overall impact when she is in the game (and she is in the game a lot). You hit the nail on the head with "consistent". However, next year, I would love to see a healthy Azzi, Ashlynn, Paige, Carolyn, and KK on the floor at the same time. That would be something!
With Aubrey coming off the BENCH!!

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I share your desire to stand up for Ash. But I also want to avoid putting too much pressure on a freshman. She gets to falter, to make mistakes, to grow even more.
You made me chuckle on a day that I don't feel too well. Thank you.
Whatever you (we) post on the BY is not going to put any pressure on any player. If it does, we are in a lot of trouble with this team. :):rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom