UConn - St. John postgame | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn - St. John postgame

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
An old quote from NIKA: "When you make an assist you make two people happy... your TEAMMATE
who scores, and yourself for playing unselfish UCONN TEAM BASKETBALL, " (Ok, I'm embellishing!)
And even though there is an "I" included when you spell "INES", there is no ego in that young lady. GO INES!! GO HUSKIES!
PGs "eat" when they "feed" their teammates!!
Nika told Geno her 1 person vs 2 persons happy philosophy when he visited her as a recruit in her home.

Reaction Score
Was able to catch the game in person at UBS arena. The venue only sold tickets for one side of the lower bowl, and none behind the baskets. The one half was probably 90% full, the other 0%. Made for a really strange atmosphere as from a viewers perspective, the arena was completely empty.
They wanted to make it look full.

Reaction Score
Someone please tell me what Azzi can do that Ash can’t. She has been the difference for this team by replacing a potential All-American with consistently capable production in absolutely every aspect.
Ash is a great scorer for sure with a great career ahead of her but comparisons to Azzi are not accurate in my mind. There is no comparison in the shot. Azzi has the quickest release maybe ever at UCONN. She is also a more fluid prolific scorer. We haven't seen her at her best and I hope we do next year. Then we can judge side by side.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Amazing photo.

I wonder how many time does the staff have to come out and get Paige into the locker room and away fans on the road trips. I know that during her Senior year in High School the team took the bus home most of the time, while Paige stayed behind and signed autographs, had photos taken until everyone was taken care of. One game they said that she had stayed 2 and half hours after the game for the fans. She had separate transportation home from family or friends.

Reaction Score
Amazing photo.

The great thing about her is that she understands that she is a role model for younger girls and shares herself with them. BTW, I know we have the Iowan phenomenon taking place this year but anyone who watched tonight's game who knows basketball would agree that PB is the most complete and best all-around player in the country.

Reaction Score
Rare to see any team where all starters are playing 100% on both offense and defense. UConn typically has 1-2 who are weak on their outside shooting, causing the defense to collapse on the other players. Not this year.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Currently Clark has 8 points going 3-9, 0-6 from behind the arc, 2 for 2 at the line. One rebound, assist and turnover against Indiana. Paige took 9 shots total and had 22.

Reaction Score
For me, today was a very significant day for the team for 2 reasons, one obvious, one subtle because we need a strong 6 or 7 player rotation going forward. The obvious one was Ice, moving with purpose, banging and scoring underneath, and improving even more with a big smile to match her newfound confidence. The subtle one was Q. She was playing hard on defense and really focused on it. It is still a work in progress with her but her concentration on defense led to a totally different kind of offensive day for her. Not jacking it up whenever she got it, but rather staying within the flow of the offense and running when she could. And what happened? 3-3 not 0-9, 3 rebounds, an assist and a steal and no turnovers in 15 minutes. Just a very good performance to build on as part of the team. She will get there. Another brick taken out of the freshman wall today.

Reaction Score
My 2 cents on Ice and the fade away. Yes the one she took today went in and that was great. It is a great change up but it shouldn't be a post's primary shot.

In previous games, the fade away was all she took. That is why today's performance was even better. There was variety in the moves she made. She wasn't just a one trick pony.
Just as an FYI, it was his "two cents", not my two cents.

Reaction Score
Ash is a great scorer for sure with a great career ahead of her but comparisons to Azzi are not accurate in my mind. There is no comparison in the shot. Azzi has the quickest release maybe ever at UCONN. She is also a more fluid prolific scorer. We haven't seen her at her best and I hope we do next year. Then we can judge side by side.
Perhaps, but Ash is more athletic, more reliable inside the arc, a better defender and better rebounder, at least IMO.

Reaction Score
Maybe when we see her at her best, we can change the opinion of her shooting. Unfortunately because of injuries, its hasn't been evident yet. People would be surprised that Nika had a higher three point % LY than Azzi. Azzi has never even come close to the 2 point shooting that AS is doing now.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Currently Clark has 8 points going 3-9, 0-6 from behind the arc, 2 for 2 at the line. One rebound, assist and turnover against Indiana. Paige took 9 shots total and had 22.
Apparently Clark was only waiting for someone on the Boneyard to reverse-jinx her. After this comment she went 4-5 from behind the arc for the remainder of the 1st half. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Perhaps, but Ash is more athletic, more reliable inside the arc, a better defender and better rebounder, at least IMO.
Put Azzi on this team with 3 point guards in Paige, KK and Nika setting her up and giving her the ball and as much as I like Ash, I have to take Azzi.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I liked the game because they won. They are not the greatest teaam in the world but certainly good enough to overwelm SJ. Really glad to see Ice have a great game to build her self confidence. Games like this give everyone good self confidence because they play, score and win. Unfortunately, everytime they made an error in judgement or a mistake, SJ was not good enough to take advantage of this at the moment. As I said,, I really like it when they win.
I think this is a top 10 team. The question is whether they are top 4 in their current configuration.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Apparently Clark was only waiting for someone on the Boneyard to reverse-jinx her. After this comment she went 4-5 from behind the arc for the remainder of the 1st half. :rolleyes:
Someone tell MSGRET to stay away from the keyboard until AFTER the game!
I will not comment on any non UConn player until after the game is completed.....
I will not comment on any non UConn player until after the game is completed.....
:(
;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member