UConn - St. John postgame | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UConn - St. John postgame

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You made me chuckle on a day that I don't feel too well. Thank you.
Whatever you (we) post on the BY is not going to put any pressure on any player. If it does, we are in a lot of trouble with this team. :):rolleyes:
Yup. But they live in my imagination, and I want to protect imaginary-Ash from the pressure.

Feel better soon.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I share your desire to stand up for Ash. But I also want to avoid putting too much pressure on a freshman. She gets to falter, to make mistakes, to grow even more.

Against BE competition she can get her own shot. And in the press, she gets her shot before the defense has settled in. Can she do it against the best teams when the press isn’t as effective and when she’s not just a rotation player but a 30+ minute starter? As I said, I expect she will be able to, if not now then soon. But she hasn’t had a real opportunity so far. In the new identity of the team, where she and KK are bulwarks of the offense, she is sure to get a lot more attention. We’re going to see how she does in the rematches with Creighton and Marquette, and especially in the games against ND and SC.

I’m pulling for her, and for KK, to force good teams to guard them and leave Nika open for 3s and not devote as much attention to Paige. She doesn’t have to score 15+ every game to make that happen. But she has to be treated as a threat by opposing teams.
Have you not seen this video? Ash has an advanced understanding of how to curl off screens and get to the sweet spot in the zone. Just a freshman!

Reaction Score
Have you not seen this video? Ash has an advanced understanding of how to curl off screens and get to the sweet spot in the zone. Just a freshman!

I think you're agreeing with me. I have seen all those games, though not that particular highlights selection. This selection seems to show exactly what I'm talking about.

Against UCLA and Texas she shot well when Paige got all the attention -- that is, she didn't waste her opportunities. But she also didn't make them for herself.

Against TMU Ball St and Maryland -- that is, lesser competition, she was able to get her own shot.

It looks to me like Ash's game really took off in the UNC game and after that she's been on an upward trajectory.

All I'm saying is that there are challenges ahead, and I am hopeful that she will meet them. She hasn't shown us everything she will be capable of yet, and on her current trajectory I think she'll do well against ND.

In one sense, this has been the perfect season for Ash and KK, in that the challenges seem to be coming just as they're ready for them. They seem to lead a blessed life -- they come to a top 5 team, find the perfect coach, new teammates welcome them into a tremendous community, awesome seniors mentor them, opportunities present themselves and they prove to be up to the challenges they pose. It's hard to imagine a better experience.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I have a question for the Boneyard. It seems to me the UConn's defense was trapping on almost every possession, more than normal. They played like they were behind and there was only 15 seconds left in the game and needed a steal. This is a high risk / high reward gambit. For the most part it worked. StJ could not take advantage of this. Why?

1. UConn played it really well
2. Running clock hurt StJ because there was less time to break the trap
3. StJ just isn't that good, couldn't find the open guy.

Some combination of the above, or perhaps something else?
IMHO in order to use a trapping defense, you need:
  • a collective understanding of how/when/who to trap
  • how to rotate depending on the opponent's reaction(s)
  • a bevy of quick guards
  • know when to use it and who to use against, as I don't believe it works on a team with > 1 quick ball handlers

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I think you're agreeing with me. I have seen all those games, though not that particular highlights selection. This selection seems to show exactly what I'm talking about.

Against UCLA and Texas she shot well when Paige got all the attention -- that is, she didn't waste her opportunities. But she also didn't make them for herself.

Against TMU Ball St and Maryland -- that is, lesser competition, she was able to get her own shot.

It looks to me like Ash's game really took off in the UNC game and after that she's been on an upward trajectory.

All I'm saying is that there are challenges ahead, and I am hopeful that she will meet them. She hasn't shown us everything she will be capable of yet, and on her current trajectory I think she'll do well against ND.

In one sense, this has been the perfect season for Ash and KK, in that the challenges seem to be coming just as they're ready for them. They seem to lead a blessed life -- they come to a top 5 team, find the perfect coach, new teammates welcome them into a tremendous community, awesome seniors mentor them, opportunities present themselves and they prove to be up to the challenges they pose. It's hard to imagine a better experience.
There are challenges ahead for the whole team, but I can tell you this there is no one on UConn's team or any other team as far as I'm concerned that is going to run full speed for a full 40 minutes if needed other than Ash, not even Nika. The routines that her father put her through in his fitness training was a lot more than what Stewie and the Huskies "boot camp" went through in the summer between her JR and SR year. Ash is the most physically fit and one of the strongest players on this team.

Reaction Score
The great thing about her is that she understands that she is a role model for younger girls and shares herself with them. BTW, I know we have the Iowan phenomenon taking place this year but anyone who watched tonight's game who knows basketball would agree that PB is the most complete and best all-around player in the country.
We can, and should celebrate both Caitlin Clark and Paige Bueckers for their unique styles of playing basketball. At this point in time, each player helps her team in a way that no one else can, so let’s be happy that they’re both healthy and playing well. Also, they’re not only great basketball players, but they’re model citizens for other young girls to emulate.

PS: I’m a UCONN fan, but with all the injuries the team has suffered, I’d be happy to have a “Caitlin Clark“ on the team right now.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
This was the second place team in the big East playing at home. Are we that good or is the league really bad this year? We could win every game by 40-50 points it seems.
Combination. We are playing great but the better teams in the league are good but not special.

Reaction Score
UConn came out fast and built a 14 point lead, but sloppy play gave some of back and ended Q1 with only a 6 point lead. But we stomped them in Q2. Geno was asked at halftime what adjustments he made, and his answer was "none really". He pointed out that SJU is a really hard team to score a lot of points against, and that he thought overall the defense was really good, especially Nika.

I thought Q2 was great as well, even tho there was some sloppy play (hurt us more in Q1). But in a way that's to be expected the way we played defense today. Personally I loved the frenetic full court pressing and trapping. Several steals were the result of the aggressive play, and because SJU plays such a slow, plodding offense, even the missed attempts at going for steals didn't hurt us.

Our offensive explosion in Q3 was something. SJU came out and scored 5 points early, but the rest of the quarter was a 28-9 run.

I'll be honest - I don't like the way SJU plays offense. At least for most of the 1st half. Meg commented that the HC got several players from the portal and that they are playing really well together, but honestly, their offense seemed lazy. So much one on one play and dribbling around the perimeter - running each play as if it was the last play of the quarter. Yes their team does move on offense so our defense needs to move, and maybe the lack of anything looking pretty was the result of our great defense, but I expected more from a team who likes to slow the game down and grind out half court games. I will say they looked much better in Q3. Maybe credit to UCONN's disruptive defense!
  • SJU averages 13 TO's a game. We forced 10 at the half. They had 13 midway thru Q3. 18 for the game. Nice!
  • Paige was vintage Paige. Both announcers mentioned several times that Geno would like Paige to shoot more. 22 points on only 9 shots. So efficient. Yeah, shoot more Paige LOL! But more than the points - rebounds, assists, steals, just a totally complete player. She's unbelievable.
  • I thought Nika was terrific. I just do not understand why teams leave her so open - maybe they have to pick their poison, but she really does it all for UConn. Score, dish assists, play really tough physical defense - love how she's developed and grown with what the team needs.
  • Ice Ice Baby!! Continues to play really well. Got extended minutes and it was great seeing her on the floor WITH Edwards. I really focused in and watched her at times - she continues to look more and more comfortable with the team, and is becoming really solid. Her drives to the basket in Q3 were great, and a career high in points for her!!! Way to go Ice!!! Turnovers - yuck. had almost half of UConn's total TO's, but come on - so much to be happy about with her game today!
  • Liya - another double double.
  • Ash continued to do "Ash" things. Meaning really solid at everything.
  • KK - off game for her scoring - missed some layups she should have made, but she's so disruptive. Today her defense shined. And her assists. Some truly great passes that her teammates converted.
  • Q... came in at the very end of Q2 and picked up 2 fouls in about 30 seconds. Her play in the 2nd half was MUCH better. IMHO she needs to slow down and let the game come to her, not force things.
  • I think Ines played the entire 4th quarter. I thought she was really solid. Amari - did what Amari does. Some nice plays sandwiched with some meh plays. But a great game to give the starters a long rest and let the reserves really play extended minutes.
I think SJU is a solid team. I did not expect this kind of beatdown. The game was essentially over at halftime, and if there was any doubt, holy cow up 35 at the end of Q3. The last 5 minutes featured Ines, Ash, Q, Ice and Amari. And they held their own. Another game where the team has to feel REALLY good about how everyone played and contributed.
I think one of the fouls called on Q was marginal at best. Sometimes the refs call fouls on good plays...they simply don't believe it could have occurred without a foul. Inez did play the entire 4th quarter and some of the third. She is an asset and I am glad that the coaches have noticed ( although forced to do so , due to injuries ). But she gives productive, solid minutes. Geno needs to use her in close games as well. Our starting 6 need rest. Ice did have a fine game and, with a bit less sloppiness with the ball, could have had an even better one. She is growing. And her smile at the end says it all.

Reaction Score
I hate saying it, but given the play of Shade so far, and the on/off play of Azzi, I give Shade the nod for her overall impact when she is in the game (and she is in the game a lot). You hit the nail on the head with "consistent". However, next year, I would love to see a healthy Azzi, Ashlynn, Paige, Carolyn, and KK on the floor at the same time. That would be something!
The problem with the comparison is that you are also taking into account Azzi's "often-injured play." Yes When Azzi was hurt Ashlynn is better. But you saw those 6 games in her soph year when she was heatlhy. Her level of play equalled Clark's if not suprassed it. A big-time defensive minded coach like the Texas coach- he torched him so bad - he was quoted afterwards stating that he couldn't remember a player that crushed him individually so badly.

Reaction Score
The problem with the comparison is that you are also taking into account Azzi's "often-injured play." Yes When Azzi was hurt Ashlynn is better. But you saw those 6 games in her soph year when she was heatlhy. Her level of play equalled Clark's if not suprassed it. A big-time defensive minded coach like the Texas coach- he torched him so bad - he was quoted afterwards stating that he couldn't remember a player that crushed him individually so badly.
I totally agree. That season Azzi looked to be a cut above Caitlin until the injury. This became really clear in their one head-to-head matchup. Who knows how the season would have unfolded, but she came out of the gate as an NPoY favorite. As I've said before, I'm still pissed at KK Bransford for shoving Aaliyah into her in the ND game. I'm sure she didn't mean to hurt Azzi. But it looked like an intentional foul against Aaliyah, and the refs are supposed to protect players from that sort of thing. Now we know how important that is.

Reaction Score
There are challenges ahead for the whole team, but I can tell you this there is no one on UConn's team or any other team as far as I'm concerned that is going to run full speed for a full 40 minutes if needed other than Ash, not even Nika. The routines that her father put her through in his fitness training was a lot more than what Stewie and the Huskies "boot camp" went through in the summer between her JR and SR year. Ash is the most physically fit and one of the strongest players on this team.
Her superior fitness is most evident in the pregame stretch routines supervised by the trainer.

Kat

Reaction Score
", even tho there was some sloppy play..."

Sheesh.

Reaction Score
We can, and should celebrate both Caitlin Clark and Paige Bueckers for their unique styles of playing basketball. At this point in time, each player helps her team in a way that no one else can, so let’s be happy that they’re both healthy and playing well. Also, they’re not only great basketball players, but they’re model citizens for other young girls to emulate.

PS: I’m a UCONN fan, but with all the injuries the team has suffered, I’d be happy to have a “Caitlin Clark“ on the team right now.
I agree. The two of them are tremendous for women's basketball and women's sports and will likely be our national backcourt in the future. I just feel that a lot of what Paige does, which does not include Logo 3s, goes unnoticed and undervalued. I'm going to the game on Wednesday at Seton Hall and we have great seats, and my daughter and I will watch Paige play defense. She anticipates the second, not the next pass. It's a thing of beauty to a basketball purist. I really hope she stays one more year.

Reaction Score
Another really good game by AE. She is now a double double every game. She has such a nice touch around the rim...a far cry from breaking backboards as she used to do as a freshman. She has come a long way from those days.

Another great game on both ends from Nika. I must admit, even being a huge Nika fan, I'm a bit surprised by her hot shooting hand.

PB just keeps putting great games together. Now she has reinvented herself as a 'part time' post player. I think she is getting back to her old self...but not there yet.

The steep learning curve that I was hoping for with regard to ICE has materialized over the last two games...at least offensively anyway. The defense is not great, and I hope to see further growth in rebounding and limiting her fouls. I do think she and AE get some poor calls from the refs however..

The freshies: Ash may not be Azzi and explode for 25 on any given night, but she is a pretty darn good and consistent player. She has had some good coaching in her HS career. She just makes really good decisions which is rare for a freshie.

KK is still putting it together. She is learning how to use her speed and quickness to her advantage and at times she gets it wrong, but I see a huge game coming from her soon. As I said before, her game stacks up well against elite competition.

Q is an interesting player. I think she will have some good and some not so good games as she figures it out, and she may not get to the level of a consistent performer this year. She has a nice touch, is a great athlete and is flexible, which means there is a lot there to work with. For this year, I hope she can rebound a bit more (especially on the offensive end) to offset the loss of AG somewhat, and play better defense and hit the occassional jumper and putback. I think she can do that. However, defense (and rebouding as well) may take a while for her to sort though- I don't think she is natural at either, but has the tools to get better. To me, she is like a ball of clay, but needs more time than most to get to the finished product.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Ash is already quite good at creating her own shot. The next step in her development will be getting herself to the foul line more often.
The reason why is that Ash gets her shot off so quickly that the opposing player has very little time to react.

Reaction Score
I totally agree. That season Azzi looked to be a cut above Caitlin until the injury. This became really clear in their one head-to-head matchup. Who knows how the season would have unfolded, but she came out of the gate as an NPoY favorite. As I've said before, I'm still pissed at KK Bransford for shoving Aaliyah into her in the ND game. I'm sure she didn't mean to hurt Azzi. But it looked like an intentional foul against Aaliyah, and the refs are supposed to protect players from that sort of thing. Now we know how important that is.
Wasn't it Ebbo that steamrollered Aaliyah or was that another time ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom