UConn - St. John postgame | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn - St. John postgame

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Few thoughts:
*Aside than few slopy minutes, a great game by UConn. The defense was amazing!
*UConn is clearly a man (women) defense. The zone defense needs a lot of work.
*Paige: we are blessed watching her play. An amazing player in all facets of the game (offense from all 3 levels, defense, rebounding, passes, steals). 22-points on 9 shots is radicicolous. is there anything she does not do well, her only "fault" is that she is too unselfish.
* Ice: should a real confidence builder for her. A real good game and her growth is noticeable. Would like her to use the backboard more when under the basket and especially go up strong (no fade aways). She will learn that when you get the ball close to the basket as a big, you should not try to dribble. A very encouraging game for the rest of the season.
*Nika: her defense was unreal good. And you can't leave her open as she'll shoot and hit the 3 pointers. A real good game by her.
*Shade: another good game by her. Offense, defense. She is just a real good basketball player. She plays like an upper classman and her conditioning is second to none.
*KK: ridiculously fast and had some great assists and tight defense. Needs to make those layups.
*AE: a real solid game by her. A Double double. St. Johns had no answer for her aside then trying to flop (which worked about 2 times).
*Q: was surprised she entered the game so late and started shaky but improved by a lot as the game progressed. Her potential is so clear to see. She just needs to let the game come to her and not rush and continue to work on defense.
*Ines: while she didn't score, had a pretty good game.
*Amari: unfortunately, another disappointing game. some bad passes, slow on defense. Lack of fire. We really need her to be available for 5-10 quality minutes as game.
*All in all, an impressive win by UConn!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
A309227F-6CEB-437E-8105-74827424EDDF.jpeg

Reaction Score
This was the second place team in the big East playing at home. Are we that good or is the league really bad this year? We could win every game by 40-50 points it seems.

Reaction Score
A couple thoughts on today’s game:
  • It can be frustrating playing a methodical team like SJ that tries to slow down the game to a snail’s pace. I thought the Huskies demonstrated good discipline at both ends of the court, not rushing on offense and staying locked in on defense.
  • The Huskies came out scorching hot from the arc as Nika, Paige and Ashlynn collectively buried 5 x 3’s in the 1st qtr, and then again in the 2nd half with the trio knocking down another 3 x 3’s. When you start off the game and the 2nd half like that, it sucks the air out of your opponent.
  • Speaking of sucking the air out of your opponent, once again UConn’s defense was suffocating, particularly in the 2nd qtr, when the Huskies held the Red Storm to just 7 pts. Nika barely allowed Drake to breathe, limiting her to just 2 baskets on 3 shots. Coming into today, Drake averaged almost 20 ppg on 17 shots per game.
  • More really, really good PT from Ice who continues to get comfortable on the court playing with her teammates. A little sloppy in the 4th qtr, but overall Ice has to take a lot of confidence from today’s game.
  • Paige had maybe the most efficient 22 pts I can ever remember, on just 9 shots. But I won’t say it….I won’t say it….Ahh, the hell I won’t. How many shots would the kid from Iowa need to score 22? ;):cool::D:rolleyes:
  • I was really hoping for an. “Everybody Eats” game, but Ines decided she wanted an assist for UConn’s last basket, rather than scoring herself. I guess I can live with that.
Excellent post, Oldude, although I'm not sure about your reference to "the kid from Iowa?"

Regardless of what someone in Iowa is doing, I'm definitely with you that it was great today to see Paige back with her shot in synch.

The past two games, she'd shot 10 of 24 from the floor, and just 2 of 11 from three... that was very unlike Paige, so it was fun to see her back as the Paige Bueckers we all love and so appreciate!

Reaction Score
Was able to catch the game in person at UBS arena. The venue only sold tickets for one side of the lower bowl, and none behind the baskets. The one half was probably 90% full, the other 0%. Made for a really strange atmosphere as from a viewers perspective, the arena was completely empty.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Was able to catch the game in person at UBS arena. The venue only sold tickets for one side of the lower bowl, and none behind the baskets. The one half was probably 90% full, the other 0%. Made for a really strange atmosphere as from a viewers perspective, the arena was completely empty.
Thanks for explaining the strange picture on my tv.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I watched today's game without paying attention to the live stats. I was shocked that after the start of the game that we weren't up 20 by the end of the 1st quarter. But we made up for it by game's end.
Only a couple things about the players. The first 7 players played very well. I was confused about the play of Inês and Amari, especially after their efforts in the Providence game. Today Inês appeared determined to be a facilitator and forgot about putting the ball in the net. This is fine but I think if she is going to play the last 11 minutes of a game, she needs to be an all round player on both ends of the court. What to say about Amari? After the effort she showed last game, it seemed to me that she entered the game in a funk. She didn't seem to be focused but then made a basket and I was hoping for another good effort from then on. Her stats included 4 TOs, 1 foul and no rebounds or blocks (she had a couple chances). I think overall, she played kind bad. I keep hoping for so much more from these 2.

Reaction Score
I liked the game because they won. They are not the greatest teaam in the world but certainly good enough to overwelm SJ. Really glad to see Ice have a great game to build her self confidence. Games like this give everyone good self confidence because they play, score and win. Unfortunately, everytime they made an error in judgement or a mistake, SJ was not good enough to take advantage of this at the moment. As I said,, I really like it when they win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom