UConn - St. John postgame | The Boneyard

UConn - St. John postgame

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
UConn came out fast and built a 14 point lead, but sloppy play gave some of back and ended Q1 with only a 6 point lead. But we stomped them in Q2. Geno was asked at halftime what adjustments he made, and his answer was "none really". He pointed out that SJU is a really hard team to score a lot of points against, and that he thought overall the defense was really good, especially Nika.

I thought Q2 was great as well, even tho there was some sloppy play (hurt us more in Q1). But in a way that's to be expected the way we played defense today. Personally I loved the frenetic full court pressing and trapping. Several steals were the result of the aggressive play, and because SJU plays such a slow, plodding offense, even the missed attempts at going for steals didn't hurt us.

Our offensive explosion in Q3 was something. SJU came out and scored 5 points early, but the rest of the quarter was a 28-9 run.

I'll be honest - I don't like the way SJU plays offense. At least for most of the 1st half. Meg commented that the HC got several players from the portal and that they are playing really well together, but honestly, their offense seemed lazy. So much one on one play and dribbling around the perimeter - running each play as if it was the last play of the quarter. Yes their team does move on offense so our defense needs to move, and maybe the lack of anything looking pretty was the result of our great defense, but I expected more from a team who likes to slow the game down and grind out half court games. I will say they looked much better in Q3. Maybe credit to UCONN's disruptive defense!
  • SJU averages 13 TO's a game. We forced 10 at the half. They had 13 midway thru Q3. 18 for the game. Nice!
  • Paige was vintage Paige. Both announcers mentioned several times that Geno would like Paige to shoot more. 22 points on only 9 shots. So efficient. Yeah, shoot more Paige LOL! But more than the points - rebounds, assists, steals, just a totally complete player. She's unbelievable.
  • I thought Nika was terrific. I just do not understand why teams leave her so open - maybe they have to pick their poison, but she really does it all for UConn. Score, dish assists, play really tough physical defense - love how she's developed and grown with what the team needs.
  • Ice Ice Baby!! Continues to play really well. Got extended minutes and it was great seeing her on the floor WITH Edwards. I really focused in and watched her at times - she continues to look more and more comfortable with the team, and is becoming really solid. Her drives to the basket in Q3 were great, and a career high in points for her!!! Way to go Ice!!! Turnovers - yuck. had almost half of UConn's total TO's, but come on - so much to be happy about with her game today!
  • Liya - another double double.
  • Ash continued to do "Ash" things. Meaning really solid at everything.
  • KK - off game for her scoring - missed some layups she should have made, but she's so disruptive. Today her defense shined. And her assists. Some truly great passes that her teammates converted.
  • Q... came in at the very end of Q2 and picked up 2 fouls in about 30 seconds. Her play in the 2nd half was MUCH better. IMHO she needs to slow down and let the game come to her, not force things.
  • I think Ines played the entire 4th quarter. I thought she was really solid. Amari - did what Amari does. Some nice plays sandwiched with some meh plays. But a great game to give the starters a long rest and let the reserves really play extended minutes.
I think SJU is a solid team. I did not expect this kind of beatdown. The game was essentially over at halftime, and if there was any doubt, holy cow up 35 at the end of Q3. The last 5 minutes featured Ines, Ash, Q, Ice and Amari. And they held their own. Another game where the team has to feel REALLY good about how everyone played and contributed.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
A couple thoughts on today’s game:
  • It can be frustrating playing a methodical team like SJ that tries to slow down the game to a snail’s pace. I thought the Huskies demonstrated good discipline at both ends of the court, not rushing on offense and staying locked in on defense.
  • The Huskies came out scorching hot from the arc as Nika, Paige and Ashlynn collectively buried 5 x 3’s in the 1st qtr, and then again in the 2nd half with the trio knocking down another 3 x 3’s. When you start off the game and the 2nd half like that, it sucks the air out of your opponent.
  • Speaking of sucking the air out of your opponent, once again UConn’s defense was suffocating, particularly in the 2nd qtr, when the Huskies held the Red Storm to just 7 pts. Nika barely allowed Drake to breathe, limiting her to just 2 baskets on 3 shots. Coming into today, Drake averaged almost 20 ppg on 17 shots per game.
  • More really, really good PT from Ice who continues to get comfortable on the court playing with her teammates. A little sloppy in the 4th qtr, but overall Ice has to take a lot of confidence from today’s game.
  • Paige had maybe the most efficient 22 pts I can ever remember, on just 9 shots. But I won’t say it….I won’t say it….Ahh, the hell I won’t. How many shots would the kid from Iowa need to score 22? ;):cool::D:rolleyes:
  • I was really hoping for an. “Everybody Eats” game, but Ines decided she wanted an assist for UConn’s last basket, rather than scoring herself. I guess I can live with that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A few things struck me.
  1. Ice really played well for 3 quarters. She got a little sloppy with the ball late in the game which pushed her TO numbers up. But she showed a lot of confidence in her post offense. 17 points on 7-11 shooting.
  2. Q looked liked she'd regressed on defense at first. But toward the end she put together several good plays on both ends. 7 points on 3-3 including a 3, 3 rebounds an assist and a steal. She also did a pretty good Aubrey imitation on a transition layup and a slashing drive.
  3. Last but not least, the girls shot the lights out from 3, and the pattern seems to be that Nika Paige and Ash build a big lead and then Nika focuses on defense. She totally shut down Unique, held her to 4 points zero assists. Nika's defense was worth 15+ points on the offensive side.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
“As [Ice] learns more about herself, you’ll see more nights like this.” — Geno

Such a great game for Ice and her confidence moving forward.

When Geno was walking away after his interview Ice was on the side talking to a reporter. She looked over at him and gave him the biggest grin. They want to please that man!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
UConn came out fast and built a 14 point lead, but sloppy play gave some of back and ended Q1 with only a 6 point lead. But we stomped them in Q2. Geno was asked at halftime what adjustments he made, and his answer was "none really". He pointed out that SJU is a really hard team to score a lot of points against, and that he thought overall the defense was really good, especially Nika.

I thought Q2 was great as well, even tho there was some sloppy play (hurt us more in Q1). But in a way that's to be expected the way we played defense today. Personally I loved the frenetic full court pressing and trapping. Several steals were the result of the aggressive play, and because SJU plays such a slow, plodding offense, even the missed attempts at going for steals didn't hurt us.

Our offensive explosion in Q3 was something. SJU came out and scored 5 points early, but the rest of the quarter was a 28-9 run.

I'll be honest - I don't like the way SJU plays offense. At least for most of the 1st half. Meg commented that the HC got several players from the portal and that they are playing really well together, but honestly, their offense seemed lazy. So much one on one play and dribbling around the perimeter - running each play as if it was the last play of the quarter. Yes their team does move on offense so our defense needs to move, and maybe the lack of anything looking pretty was the result of our great defense, but I expected more from a team who likes to slow the game down and grind out half court games. I will say they looked much better in Q3. Maybe credit to UCONN's disruptive defense!
  • SJU averages 13 TO's a game. We forced 10 at the half. They had 13 midway thru Q3. 18 for the game. Nice!
  • Paige was vintage Paige. Both announcers mentioned several times that Geno would like Paige to shoot more. 22 points on only 9 shots. So efficient. Yeah, shoot more Paige LOL! But more than the points - rebounds, assists, steals, just a totally complete player. She's unbelievable.
  • I thought Nika was terrific. I just do not understand why teams leave her so open - maybe they have to pick their poison, but she really does it all for UConn. Score, dish assists, play really tough physical defense - love how she's developed and grown with what the team needs.
  • Ice Ice Baby!! Continues to play really well. Got extended minutes and it was great seeing her on the floor WITH Edwards. I really focused in and watched her at times - she continues to look more and more comfortable with the team, and is becoming really solid. Her drives to the basket in Q3 were great, and a career high in points for her!!! Way to go Ice!!! Turnovers - yuck. had almost half of UConn's total TO's, but come on - so much to be happy about with her game today!
  • Liya - another double double.
  • Ash continued to do "Ash" things. Meaning really solid at everything.
  • KK - off game for her scoring - missed some layups she should have made, but she's so disruptive. Today her defense shined. And her assists. Some truly great passes that her teammates converted.
  • Q... came in at the very end of Q2 and picked up 2 fouls in about 30 seconds. Her play in the 2nd half was MUCH better. IMHO she needs to slow down and let the game come to her, not force things.
  • I think Ines played the entire 4th quarter. I thought she was really solid. Amari - did what Amari does. Some nice plays sandwiched with some meh plays. But a great game to give the starters a long rest and let the reserves really play extended minutes.
I think SJU is a solid team. I did not expect this kind of beatdown. The game was essentially over at halftime, and if there was any doubt, holy cow up 35 at the end of Q3. The last 5 minutes featured Ines, Ash, Q, Ice and Amari. And they held their own. Another game where the team has to feel REALLY good about how everyone played and contributed.
SJU plays offense like the old Villanova. Their defense was flopping as soon as a UConn player got the ball in the paint. :rolleyes: I’m shocked Geno didn’t get a T for pointing it out.

Ines was pretty darn good today and Amari was good enough to allow Aaliyah to sit. KK was EVERYWHERE and doing little things that won’t show in the box score. All in all, a very satisfying win

Reaction Score
OK. 5 down, 11 to go to win the BE. Then 4 more and Trophy. UCONN is now motoring and with ICE's 17 points, relief is now here to help the starters. GREAT team effort and again, it will only get BETTER. How much more do the naysayers need to concede that UCONN is a bonefide threat to all. I am not articulate like the veteran posters but, I believe in this team and that they CAN win the NC!!! The Fab4 has convinced me. GO FRESHMEN!!!! GO HUSKIES!!!!!

Reaction Score
EricLA was right on in giving a good synopsis of the game. SJ did play slow but that's to be expected in a game where you are outgunned. Nika is getting into a pattern of hitting a couple of 3s early and then stop looking for more. I'd like to see her exploit her new found shooting touch a bit more. Ash is a really good shooter and is usually assertive in putting shots up. She took today off on offense.

Ice gets her own paragraph. She looked comfortable and confident in major minutes. By far her best game and we'll need to see this regularly going forward if our post season is to be as successful as we hope. Hats off to Ice!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Question. Does Ice qualify in the BE freshman of the week competition?
Yup!!! But it's going to be a battle with KK who had a really good game today and 8 steals in the other game this week.

Reaction Score
If I am not mistaken, Ashlynn’s father was a collegiate player and is now a coach. I know that many of us are profoundly impressed by Ashlynn’s contributions as a Freshman, but we probably should not be surprised. She entered the program extraordinarily well-coached in fundamentals. No matter how little time she has to get off a shot, her footwork is amazingly sound…always squared off to the bucket, perfectly aligned. Geno will do wonders with her, but the girl’s Daddy made a helluva contribution prior to matriculation!

Reaction Score
If I am not mistaken, Ashlynn’s father was a collegiate player and is now a coach. I know that many of us are profoundly impressed by Ashlynn’s contributions as a Freshman, but we probably should not be surprised. She entered the program extraordinarily well-coached in fundamentals. No matter how little time she has to get off a shot, her footwork is amazingly sound…always squared off to the bucket, perfectly aligned. Geno will do wonders with her, but the girl’s Daddy made a helluva contribution prior to matriculation!
Ash’s father is a personal trainer.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Yea, coach's kids always have an edge. Can't wait to see Jana on the court, yet another coach's kid.

Reaction Score
If there is a silver lining losing Azzi for the season & having Caroline out indefinitely, it is the opportunity for the freshmen to play significant minutes, and in doing so, become vital cogs and contributors to the team. Having KK & Shade in the starting lineup has allowed UConn to play at a classic UConn pace, highlighted by a frenetic defense.

Although she didn't score much today, I thought KK had her best overall floor game. She didn't force drives to the basket & looked to distribute first - like a good floor general.

After 3 seasons of being hailed as not an offensive threat, Nika is doing her best Paige imitation to silence the critics. Her outside shooting is giving teams another headache to plan for when designing their defensive strategy.

Aaliyah is joining the craze - she had a couple of assists, particularly one to Ice Brady down low. Speaking of Ice, her upward trend is picking up steam as her comfort level and confidence grows.

Ashlynn did what Ashlynn normally does. Hit a couple of shots and seemingly never makes a mistake on the court. She's a gamer and just so fundamentally sound.

I loved how Qadence played offensively, 4 fouls notwithstanding. She didn't try to force outside shots, looked to pass the ball and had one strong drive to the hoop. She has a lot of talent.

Finally, I expected Paige to come out today and redeem herself from Wednesday's game. Unfortunately for her, she's superior to BE competition that she doesn't have the same fire to assert herself as when she plays other top 25 teams. However, how can you argue against her stat line.

Looking ahead, UConn has 3 games to assess where it stands against other echelon teams. ND, SC and the return game against Marquette. If they only lose one more, a 2 seed in a regional may be in the cards.

Reaction Score
How 'bout our freshmen?!! 24 points (not counting Ice), 11 assists, 6 rebounds, 2 steals, and, get this, ZERO turnovers!!!!!!! When was the last time we had three freshmen play in a game without any turnovers?! Wow, just Wow!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom