UConn @ St. John (Friday 5/7 @6p, Saturday 5/8 Doubleheader @Noon & Sunday 5/9 @1p) All games on ESPN3 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn @ St. John (Friday 5/7 @6p, Saturday 5/8 Doubleheader @Noon & Sunday 5/9 @1p) All games on ESPN3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Rightly? Why?
I hate the bunt as a strategy outside of an extreme situation like a bottom of the 9th down 1 or a tie game where you only need 1 run. Any other time I think it severely limits your offensive output and lowers the number of runs you'll score over the course of a season by giving away outs

Reaction Score
The sac bunt has been (rightly) dead in baseball for close to a decade now. It's just not something that teams do

Penders has gone away from it more this year, but he still likes to go sac bunt a decent amount, especially if there's a guy at the bottom of the order that doesn't get on base a lot. Aaron Hill and Keith Krueger(and Michael Woodworth even though he was a good hitter) were called on to sac bunt a good amount. This year the starting lineup is pretty strong throughout though and he hasn't called for it nearly as much.

Reaction Score
Penders has gone away from it more this year, but he still likes to go sac bunt a decent amount, especially if there's a guy at the bottom of the order that doesn't get on base a lot. Aaron Hill and Keith Krueger(and Michael Woodworth even though he was a good hitter) were called on to sac bunt a good amount. This year the starting lineup is pretty strong throughout though and he hasn't called for it nearly as much.
Yeah I will say there's some more value in a lineup with light hitters at the bottom. This year I have full confidence in everyone so haven't minded the shift from Penders to letting everyone hit

Reaction Score
I hate the bunt as a strategy outside of an extreme situation like a bottom of the 9th down 1 or a tie game where you only need 1 run. Any other time I think it severely limits your offensive output and lowers the number of runs you'll score over the course of a season by giving away outs
Who cares about the number of runs scored over the course of a SEASON? That is irrelevant to THIS game. The sacrifice bunt is a situational tactic, used to increase the probability of scoring ONE additional run when that run is crucial to achieving victory. Not just when tied, or down a run in the ninth inning. UConn was up by one in the top of the eighth. An additional run, putting us up by two going into the last two innings changes (significantly) the calculus for the final two St. John's at-bats. How UConn pitches, aligns its defense, positions its first and third basemen to guard the lines, considers an intentional walk to set up a potential double play,......................these are all predicated on the score. A two-run lead suggests a different defensive posture than a one-run lead.

Call me old school..............................I am proud to be so.

Reaction Score
Who cares about the number of runs scored over the course of a SEASON? That is irrelevant to THIS game. The sacrifice bunt is a situational tactic, used to increase the probability of scoring ONE additional run when that run is crucial to achieving victory. Not just when tied, or down a run in the ninth inning. UConn was up by one in the top of the eighth. An additional run, putting us up by two going into the last two innings changes (significantly) the calculus for the final two St. John's at-bats. How UConn pitches, aligns its defense, positions its first and third basemen to guard the lines, considers an intentional walk to set up a potential double play,......................these are all predicated on the score. A two-run lead suggests a different defensive posture than a one-run lead.

Call me old school..............................I am proud to be so.
Yeah we're just gonna have to agree to disagree on this one. I'm not looking to increase the probability to score 1 run, I want to increase the chances they score as many runs as possible and that's why I don't want a sac bunt there

Reaction Score
Yeah we're just gonna have to agree to disagree on this one. I'm not looking to increase the probability to score 1 run, I want to increase the chances they score as many runs as possible and that's why I don't want a sac bunt there
I appreciate your agreeing to disagree.

I'd rather have a greater chance for a two run lead than a lesser chance for a three/four run lead going into the bottom of the eighth. But I'll gladly treat you to a over for a face-to-face discussion.

UConn '74.

Reaction Score
I appreciate your agreeing to disagree.

I'd rather have a greater chance for a two run lead than a lesser chance for a three/four run lead going into the bottom of the eighth. But I'll gladly treat you to a over for a face-to-face discussion.

UConn '74.
Over a beer. Sorry.

Reaction Score
Situationally it can make sense, but I view it like someone passing up a 3 pointer to take one step in for a long 2. By and large the wrong play but not always.

Reaction Score
I will say I “like” bunts much more in college than MLB. The odds of the fielder screwing it up is much higher. It’s the same reason a runner on 3rd with 2 outs has a better chance of scoring on nonsense in college.

Reaction Score
Well the Mets decided to troll me by bunting in the 1 situation I said I was OK with it, so obviously it failed

Reaction Score
Situationally it can make sense, but I view it like someone passing up a 3 pointer to take one step in for a long 2. By and large the wrong play but not always.
I must disagree. It's not passing up a three for as "long" two. It's more like passing up the three for a layup.

Reaction Score
I must disagree. It's not passing up a three for as "long" two. It's more like passing up the three for a layup.
In thinking it over, long 2 isn’t the same. However, I would never say getting a guy in from second with 1 out is a layup with this team ?

Reaction Score
In thinking it over, long 2 isn’t the same. However, I would never say getting a guy in from second with 1 out is a layup with this team ?
Good point. Let's say passing up the three in lieu of a Jeremy Lamb short floater? That, I'll take.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Good evening for the ball teams wearing blue in Queens last night. Wonder if Nick Ahmed might be giving the pre-game speech to the Huskies today?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Intense win. Take two tomorrow!
Uh...It’s OK if they are less intense, but that may be me.
The Big Bang Theory Reaction GIF

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Doesn't matter if it is Husky Access or now ESPN3. The camera guys suck. Why show the runner running instead of the play taking place. Too many fly ball outs tonight. 12 hits and only 2 runs

I tried so hard to watch the game on ESPN3 and made it through part of the top half of the first. Single camera behind home plate and the dreadful announcers made it unwatchable. I get better video feeds of local HS baseball than they had last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom