UConn @ St John for 3 (Fri. 3/16@3p, Sat. 3/17@1p & Sun. 3/18@1p) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn @ St John for 3 (Fri. 3/16@3p, Sat. 3/17@1p & Sun. 3/18@1p)

Reaction Score
@UConnBSB:
Great diving stop by Moriarty gets the Huskies out of the first inning.

Mason picks up a pair of strikeouts in a scoreless first frame. Scoreless in Queens.

Reaction Score
After ugly @ bat by Feldstein w/ runners on second and third 1 out — dead duck play w/ two outs brings run in from third. 1-0 UConn.

Reaction Score
Second and third one out and Feldstein swings and misses three straight pitches. Please just make contact.

Reaction Score
UConn wins 1-0. Pitching and defense were much improved but the offense was a no show again

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
UConn wins 1-0. Pitching and defense were much improved but the offense was a no show again

Magee is no joke, but they do have to do much better going forward.

Reaction Score
I was at Gampel for the women's basketball games today, so I was not able to listen to this game.

Susi came out of the game fairly early, does anyone know why?

I expect the offense will come and go all season. Today it wasn't there, but the pitching sure was. A definite quality start from Mason Feole, excellent relief work from Jake Wallace and a return to form for PJ Poulin. This pitching stint for Wallace follows his scoreless outing at Coastal Carolina, so this is something to keep an eye on. The coaching staff was talking Wallace up last fall and in the preseason, so maybe he is beginning to turn the corner.

Not surprised after less than stellar defense by the team yesterday that Conor Moriarty found his way back into the lineup at 3B. The twitter feed indicated he made a nice defensive play or two today.

This was another valuable road win over a quality opponent. When you split these road games against a team like St. John's you are definitely on the plus side with the RPI. Of course, the plus becomes bigger if you take the rubber game of the series.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
The only team we have played and failed to beat this year is Kennesaw State. We might not be that great, but we're hard to beat repeatedly!

Our RPI will look nice with a win tomorrow.

Reaction Score

Unlike yesterday, Coach Penders mentions plenty of players by name in this interview. I expect we will be seeing more of Wallace in tight situations out of the bullpen, and it also wouldn't surprise me if we see more Moriarty at 3B for his defense in the coming days.

Reaction Score
Pitching Lead UConn to 1-0 Win at St. John's

Notes:
  • The Huskies last 1-0 victory came on March 25, 2015 at Seton Hall. Carson Cross pitched 8.2 innings to lock down his 17thcareer win.
  • Feole logged his fourth combined shutout of his career with the three previous all coming last season.
  • The Huskies managed to win despite just three hits in the ballgame. It is the fewest hits the Huskies have accumulated in a game this season.
  • The Huskies pitching staff struck out 13 batters on Saturday. The most in a game this season.

Reaction Score
I was at Gampel for the women's basketball games today, so I was not able to listen to this game.

I expect the offense will come and go all season. Today it wasn't there, but the pitching sure was. A definite quality start from Mason Feole, excellent relief work from Jake Wallace and a return to form for PJ Poulin. This pitching stint for Wallace follows his scoreless outing at Coastal Carolina, so this is something to keep an eye on. The coaching staff was talking Wallace up last fall and in the preseason, so maybe he is beginning to turn the corner.

Not surprised after less than stellar defense by the team yesterday that Conor Moriarty found his way back into the lineup at 3B. The twitter feed indicated he made a nice defensive play or two today.

This was another valuable road win over a quality opponent. When you split these road games against a team like St. John's you are definitely on the plus side with the RPI. Of course, the plus becomes bigger if you take the rubber game of the series.

I was wondering the same thing about Susi. He pinched hit for him when they had 1st and 2nd and no outs and they sac bunted with the pinch hitter. I was thinking, surely Penders didn't take Susi out this early just to sacrifice? I'm guessing no word during post game interview? So maybe that was the case. Just seems odd to me.

Reaction Score
I was wondering the same thing about Susi. He pinched hit for him when they had 1st and 2nd and no outs and they sac bunted with the pinch hitter. I was thinking, surely Penders didn't take Susi out this early just to sacrifice? I'm guessing no word during post game interview? So maybe that was the case. Just seems odd to me.

Thank you. That seems odd to me as well. We shall see what the lineup looks like tomorrow. If Susi is not in it, I suspect Chris Jones may have a word or two about it.

Reaction Score
I suspect Chris Jones may have a word or two about it.

Chris was @ a loss @ the time... he related that possibly Penders may have been sending a message as he didn’t think it was injury related.

Reaction Score
Chris was @ a loss @ the time... he related that possibly Penders may have been sending a message as he didn’t think it was injury related.

Thanks, good to know.

Reaction Score

I was looking at the box score for today's game and found that Susi had another error while he was playing. So perhaps together with his defensive problems from yesterday it was just too much for Penders to take.

Reaction Score

Thank you. That seems odd to me as well. We shall see what the lineup looks like tomorrow. If Susi is not in it, I suspect Chris Jones may have a word or two about it.

I was looking at the box score for today's game and found that Susi had another error while he was playing. So perhaps together with his defensive problems from yesterday it was just too much for Penders to take.
I watched the whole game. Susi dropped a few balls that potentially could have been called strikes early. He also had a few balls get by him with no one on base. On the passed ball (his fifth in two games) he never slide over to attempt to block it (he looked like Roger Dorn ;)). It was a lazy play, in my opinion. I assume Coach agreed. Susi was replaced shortly after, in a big spot offensively. I agree with @huskymedic quote, Coach Penders is sending Susi a message and Thad Phillips has been pushing to play everyday. Although, there was no mention of Susi during CJ's interview, the fact the Coach mentions Phillips speaks volumes to me. He liked the way he handled Poulin on balls low in the zone (something Susi has been struggling with), he threw out a runner attempting to steal, and his bat has been a plus so far this season. Message sent!!! Susi needs to needs to pick it up defensively. I like it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Is there no way to watch the game today or am I missing something?

Thanks!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom