UConn-St John’s postgame presser | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn-St John’s postgame presser

Reaction Score
Based on what, exactly??
For the first time she was working on her ball handling the whole time during warm-ups, typically the injured players don't touch even touch a ball while watching and this seemed intentional. You could also see her with the trainer and CD in the background during Lou's interview after practice. It's pretty clear from Geno's comments this week (and how they played last night) that the focus is on physical and mental recovery until the NCAA tournament. I think they are banking on the practice time between Big East Tournament and the NCAA Tournament to integrate her back into the team with up to two weeks of uninterrupted practices.

My guess is she starts full practices after the regular season ends. Don't think she is available to play for the Big East Tournament (think we lose early) but she warms up with the team then and starts playing again in the first round of the tournament.

Reaction Score
I love their attitudes also but as pointed out above, if there ain't no gas in the tank, the car ain't going. Geno often said during the season that everyone had to play well to win. Both CD and Aubrey had off games last night and hence the result. It's not blame, it just proves Geno's point. In another world, the world with Paige, Ice and Azzi in it, if someone is off, it won't matter. There is no real cavalry here to save us. Azzi should help if she is even in 75% form but we have to regain energy and strength right now and I hope it comes after the BE tourney because it likely will not come before.

Reaction Score
For the first time she was working on her ball handling the whole time during warm-ups, typically the injured players don't touch even touch a ball while watching and this seemed intentional. You could also see her with the trainer and CD in the background during Lou's interview after practice. It's pretty clear from Geno's comments this week (and how they played last night) that the focus is on physical and mental recovery until the NCAA tournament. I think they are banking on the practice time between Big East Tournament and the NCAA Tournament to integrate her back into the team with up to two weeks of uninterrupted practices.

My guess is she starts full practices after the regular season ends. Don't think she is available to play for the Big East Tournament (think we lose early) but she warms up with the team then and starts playing again in the first round of the tournament.
Don't agree about the BE. We win it. Everyone will be tired, not just us. It evens the playing field.

Reaction Score

Thanks for that info. I hope you are right!

Reaction Score
I think they said that ( " the effort wasn't there " ) because they can't think of anything else to say. If you watch the game again, there is plenty of "effort " ( diving, leaping, battling). The problem was that the effort didn't translate. When you are physically drained, you can give maximum effort and still get unsatisfactory results. An exhausted weight lifter , who normally does 50 reps with a weight , might only do 30, no matter how hard he tries ( the effort thing ).

Reaction Score
No one mentioned that " you can't bring energy when there is none left." It is like stepping on the gas pedal, when you are out of petrol. Geno alluded to that when he said, " the players have to find a different way to get themselves pumped up." They have already drawn down all known reserves. When you have just run a marathon, it is really hard to run a 10K right after. What I wish a reporter had asked was, " Geno ...you mentioned that there is no one on the bench who can score points.......but didn't Patterson averaged 26 per game in HS? Why can't she score points? Why won't she ever create or take a shot?

Reaction Score
I wonder why UConn doesn’t develop its bench & play them more minutes. When you see top teams (Stanford, SC etc), they seem to play 3-5 bench players. Yes, we have fewer players, but Patterson & DeBerry could benefit with playing time.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I wonder why UConn doesn’t develop its bench & play them more minutes. When you see top teams (Stanford, SC etc), they seem to play 3-5 bench players. Yes, we have fewer players, but Patterson & DeBerry could benefit with playing time.
Developing bench players is a two way street. The coaches instill the practice habits, offense/defensive philosophies, etc, however the players have an equal responsibility in understanding the expectations and execution of said items.

Reaction Score
our Bench IS playing. Its our starters sitting on the bench. Amari, Ines and Patterson are the reserves after the bench players. And Div 1 isnt High School like Browns said. Not even close.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom