UConn-St John’s postgame presser | The Boneyard

UConn-St John’s postgame presser

Reaction Score
Every single thing he said is `100% dead on correct.

this version of the team ain’t dominant.

Reaction Score
Good presser from Nika and Lou. Kind of figured the lack of good practices was a contributor for the poor play. Nika was pretty blunt about this game and their mentality. I hope this is a wake up call to the team that they need to pull it together.

Reaction Score
why is it in the fist post video the sound is so muffled ya almost cant hear what the coach is saying i have the volume turned up to max and still audio is muffled.

Reaction Score
Anyone who played sport for more than a season knows that there are ups and downs in motivation, energy, enthusiasm and expectations. This is the way of sport. Sometimes teams need a good wake up call to restir team desire. Rebounds of fortune often happen in such times.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Good presser from Nika and Lou. Kind of figured the lack of good practices was a contributor for the poor play. Nika was pretty blunt about this game and their mentality. I hope this is a wake up call to the team that they need to pull it together.
Agree 100%. Nika understands the challenges of little practice time and lots of minutes PT. She was direct in her answers and didn't try to sugar coat anything. Whether or not the team can solve these challenges is another matter.

Reaction Score
Anyone who played sport for more than a season knows that there are ups and downs in motivation, energy, enthusiasm and expectations. This is the way of sport. Sometimes teams need a good wake up call to restir team desire. Rebounds of fortune often happen in such times.
All so true, cgshuskie, regarding 'motivation, energy, enthusiasm and expectations.' I was surprised and disappointed to hear Nika focus on insufficent 'effort' as the cause of the Huskies' loss. That's a pretty heavy thing to lay on your teammates.

As I watched the game from near courtside, I didn't think effort was lacking, more so the many other factors that we've all covered on the post-game thread. If Nika feels she didn't make the necessary effort, she should admit to that, not bring her teammates down with her.

Reaction Score
All so true, cgshuskie, regarding 'motivation, energy, enthusiasm and expectations.' I was surprised and disappointed to hear Nika focus on insufficient 'effort' as the cause of the Huskies' loss. That's a pretty heavy thing to lay on your teammates.
IMO it sounded like it was something that was discussed in the locker room and they all agreed on and Nika was just the spokesperson.

I don't know her personally but Nika seems like the person who will be the first to admit her own shortcomings and not point fingers at other teammates. She never said she wasn't responsible, she said they all didn't bring the energy/effort and Lou agreed.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
IMO it sounded like it was something that was discussed in the locker room and they all agreed on and Nika was just the spokesperson.

I don't know her personally but Nika seems like the person who will be the first to admit her own shortcomings and not point fingers at other teammates. She never said she wasn't responsible, she said they all didn't bring the energy/effort and Lou agreed.
Well.....except for fouls. ;)

Reaction Score
Geno said what they need more than anything is scorers, so what is the news on Azzi?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Geno said what they need more than anything is scorers, so what is the news on Azzi?
3478d5e76ea255330a6d2ba27814cf19.jpeg

Reaction Score
Did no one ask in the presser?? She was dribbling the whole time during warm ups which she hasn't done before and during Lous interview you could see her working out with the trainer and CD - not with the players out for the year. I'm sure its torture for Azzi so I battle the curiosity of knowing if/when she'll be back and not wanting to put any additional pressure on her recovery.

Reaction Score
Maria's said on the pre-game yesterday "you have to wonder if we'll see Azzi again this season as she has yet to be cleared for contact." Basically we're talking about a player that's seen about 30 minutes of game action in the last three months and isn't able to practice with the team yet. The NCAA tourney starts on March 15th - 3 weeks from today.

Reaction Score
Maria's said on the pre-game yesterday "you have to wonder if we'll see Azzi again this season as she has yet to be cleared for contact." Basically we're talking about a player that's seen about 30 minutes of game action in the last three months and isn't able to practice with the team yet. The NCAA tourney starts on March 15th - 3 weeks from today.
She'll be back, watching her during warm-ups (no she didn't particpate) it was clear to me she knew she would be back. And soon.

Not sure why you think they'd rush her back to contact if the goal is her to be healthy during the NCAAs. Extend her healing time and her comfort with her knee as much as possible.

Reaction Score
All so true, cgshuskie, regarding 'motivation, energy, enthusiasm and expectations.' I was surprised and disappointed to hear Nika focus on insufficent 'effort' as the cause of the Huskies' loss. That's a pretty heavy thing to lay on your teammates.

As I watched the game from near courtside, I didn't think effort was lacking, more so the many other factors that we've all covered on the post-game thread. If Nika feels she didn't make the necessary effort, she should admit to that, not bring her teammates down with her.
Nika did exactly what a good leader should do. She called her team out for lack of effort. They were not hustling after rebounds instead they were just looking at the ball. So I was not disappointed at Nika's response i was proud of her speaking out. I don't know what you were surprised about.

Reaction Score
Not sure why you think they'd rush her back to contact if the goal is her to be healthy during the NCAAs. Extend her healing time and her comfort with her knee as much as possible.
UConn AD has a schedule and protocol that players must follow before they are allowed to practice and play in a game. The fact that she still hasn't really started that is concerning assuming what Maria reported yesterday was accurate.

Reaction Score
UConn AD has a schedule and protocol that players must follow before they are allowed to practice and play in a game. The fact that she still hasn't really started that is concerning assuming what Maria reported yesterday was accurate.
Yes we all know that and are very familiar. Caroline was cleared for contact practices on a Monday and played on a Wednesday.

Reaction Score
Good question. How about, " what's the news on Caroline?". She is a scorer as well. But I'm not sure she is really capable right now.

Reaction Score
But a depressing presser from coach. I think he is beginning to sense that " this isn't fun any more."

Reaction Score
Well.....except for fouls. ;)
No one mentioned that " you can't bring energy when there is none left." It is like stepping on the gas pedal, when you are out of petrol. Geno alluded to that when he said, " the players have to find a different way to get themselves pumped up." They have already drawn down all known reserves. When you have just run a marathon, it is really hard to run a 10K right after. What I wish a reporter had asked was, " Geno ...you mentioned that there is no one on the bench who can score points.......but didn't Patterson averaged 26 per game in HS? Why can't she score points? Why won't she ever create or take a shot?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom